Final.

On a dream

It’s winter break and after lots of persuasion, I traveled north of the state with Xiumin to his family friend’s resort.  I slowly made my way down the main staircase to get down to the lobby. I walked beneath the chandelier into one of the halls to find a large dining room and across from it a ballroom. Down the other hall was a library. 

As I looked around I soon realized how inviting this place was. Although it was luxurious, it was just like how Xiumin explained to me, warm and welcoming. It felt like home. I walked back into the lobby and sat myself down at a corner of the lobby to wait for Xiumin. “Grandfather, I’m here” I heard someone call cheerfully as she carried a stack of china in her arms. She sat down next to her grandfather in another sitting area of the lobby. 

“So tell me, have you found yourself a potential life partner yet?” her grandfather asked. 

“Ah Grandfather, this again?” 

Her grandfather nods with a light smile. “I just want to know if I’ll be lucky enough to be a great grandfather soon.” 

She looks at him to see if he waiting for a serious answer or if he’s joking like usual.  She sighs and looks back on the plate she’s wiping. “No, my intentions of leaving off to college were to learn, not to get a boyfriend. And beside grandpa, I’m too young to be seeking such things”.  She answered wiping down the fine dining. 

“Tsk tsk tsk.” her grandfather shook his head. “Your grandmother had your father when she was 19. You’re already turning 23 next summer.” 

“Times have changed since then grandpa” she said. 

“… I just hope you’re not lonely, now that you’re away from home and even further away from your grandma and I.” Her grandfather said looking at her dearly. “Do you really have no one in mind, no one at all?” 

She shakes her head, “There’s only you and grandma in my heart.” 

“Well then, I guess you’re perhaps really going to settle for General Kim’s grandson then.” Her grandfather then laughs after teasing her. 

“Grandfather please, not this again” She whines with an unhappy tone. “..Okay maybe I do have someone in mind.” 

“Oh you do? Tell me what is he like?” her grandfather stops laughing to listen for a while. 

With a towel in one hand and a plate in another, She looks  off into the distance as if she can see the man she’s talking about.“Hm… he is tall, handsome...and very mysterious. He’s also quite weird and silly once you get to know him.” Then she turns her gaze to her grandpa, “I find him to be quiet captivating, even with a constant cold expression upon his face.” 

“Handsome, cold, quite weird and silly. Sounds kind of like Gn. Kim’s grandson” Her grandfather started laughing again. “I guess you really do have your mind set for Gn. Kimgra-cough*, grandson.  Darling he Is here if you want –coughcough**, me to set you up.” Her grandfather laughed until he was coughing. 

Just then a notification went off and she realized that they were probably being impolite to their guest from being too loud in the lobby. “Oh grandpa, stop it. There are other people here in the sitting area. This conversation is over.” She said, She looked at her plates only to look up at her grandpa with a smile again. 

She looked up towards his direction, and he hastily took out his phone to look like he was occupied with something important.  He furrowed his brows, trying to look focus on his phone. She slowly began to describe a man which Kris thought was he 

“I find him to be quiet captivating, even with a cold expression upon his face” Kris heard her say.  He hollowed his cheeks and bit on them to help stop him from blushing. To deny the fact that he felt almost a bit shy hearing her say that.  

Biting his cheek may have allowed him not to grin like a fool, but he realized that he probably looked like a fool anyways. He covered his face and slumped over to try and gain control of himself. On that day, for the first time ever in his adult life, Kris eaves dropped on a conversation. He didn’t notice he was doing so or for how long he had been watching the girl until he heard a notification sound from his phone. 

“Done unpacking, see you down stairs in a few minutes. Snowboarding time.” A text message from Xiumin. 

A few minutes pass and Xiumin come running from the elevator. “How long have you been waiting down here?” 

“30 minutes.” Kris said after looking at the face of his watch. 

“Ah sorry, I had to go greet someone after you went into your room.” Minseok said apologizing as they walked pass the large sitting area of the lobby. 

Their days there were pretty much the same. Though they had a routine going, Xiumin and Kris had a lot of fun at the resort for Xiumin was a great host. 

Occasionally Kris would see the same girl that he saw the first day that he arrived. Not occasionally, more like frequently, or all the time. She’d be on a routine too. She was always with her grandparents talking and laughing as she served them tea. She folded napkins, wiped dishes, or arranged flowers while accompanying them.  Everyday Kris would see her sit next to her grandparents in the same spot of the dining room eating. He pretty much could have predicted what she was doing by the forth night and be right if he went down stairs to check. Not like he tried… 

Being there, Kris noticed that he grew a habit for observing and eaves dropping. He swears to god, and everyone knows so that watching people with their grandparents wasn’t entertaining in any way possible but he still, he did it. “Its winter break and I’m away from home. I miss my family too that’s why I like to look at her.” He comes up with this reason to justify his actions. “Besides it not like anyone notices because I don’t look at her all the time.” 

Before Kris knew it, Xiumin and Kris were on their way back to campus already. Time went by a lot faster than Kris had expected. 

The spring semester started and it was lunch time. Light whispers of “He’s so good-looking” and other phrases along those lines could hear from around the room. Stares of awe were so intense anyone walking by the group could probably feel it. 

“Seo ShinAe!!” Xiumin stood up to call someone and waves eagerly for them to walk over. 

Ohhhyung! Who is she?” The younger Exo members cooed to Xiumin as she walked over, like usual Kris didn’t bother to look. 

“ShinAe, when did you come back?” Xiumin asked 

“A few hours after you left.” she replied. 

Kris squint his eyebrows. This voice was all too familiar to him. He lifted his gazed to look at who she was. It was the same girl he had seen at the resort. “She attends our school too?” Kris thought as curiosity filled his mind. 

“ShinAe, I accidently brought the key home with me.” Xiumin said lifting up the magnet piece that unlocks the door to his family’s suite at the resort. “Can you ask them to make an extra pair incase my parents went to visit?” 

Sure, no problem, See you around” 

Kris watches her as she waves Xiumin goodbye and she turns back to leave. “Xiumin, you know her?” Kris finally asks after she was far away enough to hear. 

Xiumin smiles as if he succeeded in something. “You know her as well, don’t you?”  Xiumin asks Kris in return with his eyes still set on the plate in front of him. 

“No.” Kris answered. “I don’t even her name, and wipe that smile off your face.” 

“You may not know her name, but I’m sure you know a lot about her” Xiumin said finally meeting Kris’ gaze. Xiumin lightly chuckled. He was teasing Kris again. The chuckling finally stopped after Xiumin received a light kick to the chair from Kris. 

Months went by and Kris thought about her frequently. Every two weeks was the interval that Kris got to see her.  Without realizing it the days in between those 2 weeks became excruciating slow. Every time she came by and left Kris would always ask Xiumin a subtle question not exactly about her and one question only. This allowed him to learn something new about her.  Slowly he hoped that the conversations between her and Xiumin lasted longer because it felt good to see her and have her around. Before Kris knew it, he started to consider the days he saw her his good days, his lucky days. 

Kris was elected captain of Exo this semester and the time for their MT trip was near. “Hyung lets go back to one of the beach cities for our MT trip.” Tao suggested. Going south was where most of the Clubs in universities went to for MT trips during spring break. 

Kris suddenly remembered something. “Xiumin, will you be joining us for this trip?” he asked looking over his shoulder to Xiumin who was playing games with Luhan. 

“No, I kind of promised my parents that I’d be at the resort for the break.”  Xiumin replied with eyes still glued to the TV. 

That was exactly the answer Kris wanted to hear. “Since Xiumin is headed north, we'll be going to the same resort so Xiumin isn’t left out.” 

Ughhh, north of the state is sooo boring! It’s all trees and forests.” The 3 youngest members complained. 

 “We’ve already gone south twice and hitting on girls with bikinis isn’t exactly team building. Since Xiumin won’t be with us if we go south, we’ll go up-state with him. As a team we should stick together.” This shut the team up for they knew that it was true and that Kris wouldn’t change his mind. “Trust me guys I’ve been there with Xiumin, you will all like it there.” 

“You're all going with me to the resort? Kris, I’m not even sure if you enjoyed the resort the last time that I took you.” Xiumin drops his controller and walks towards Kris. “But sure, make this about me, whatever you say Duizhang.” 

It was spring time and even with no snow in sight the resort is lush with green and other vibrant colors. The wind is cool and the air refreshing. It was Saturday afternoon and I had finally made it to grandfather’s resort. I went to the trunk of my car to get my things when I noticed MinSeok walking over. Out of habit, he came and helped me unload my car. MinSeok and his family visited the hotel a lot. The moment MinSeok was able to lift and push, he started to help out my grandparent’s by helping guests with their luggage. He stood in the lobby with the employees and help guest with such services every time he visited. 

“Minseok oppa, you’re here early. What about your MT trip?” I asked. 

“I told my mom I’d be here for the gathering.” Minseok said taking suitcases in hand. 

Right then, I heard a loud chant.  “ShinAe noona!!” I turned around to see a group of guys running towards me.  

“Your friends are here too?”  

“Yeah, my team decided to come here for the team building exercises.” MinSeok replied. 

“ShinAe, we didn’t know you owned such a large hotel.” The boys said circulating around me not even aware of what Xiumin was doing or if he needs help. 

“This isn’t mines.” I smiled. “It belongs to my grandparents.” The boys still screamed in excitement. I don’t know what for, maybe for being on vacation. 

As the days went by I noticed that being loud and noisy was a usual thing for them. They were always excited.’92-’94 kids were like puppies high on sugar when they were together. That helped break down the barrier of awkwardness between us quickly. 

As for Suho, Lay and I, we are same aged friends.  We’ve known each other before hand because of overlapping classes. 

With ’90 line, Luhan was very friendly and had an approachable personality so he tended to me. Almost like Minseok oppa, Luhan kept me company, making sure I felt included and not forgotten amongst all the noise. I eventually grew close to all of them with in just a few days’ time. But there was still one person left, Kris. There has been a wall between us since I’ve first noticed him. 

Being left with his thoughts he was slowly growing irritated as he watched the others interact with her in ways he couldn’t. 

Kris learned on the first day that Suho and Lay had known her already from school. They were quite close from being acquainted for 3 semesters. 

On the second day he watched Luhan get close to ShinAe since Luhan stuck to Xiumin like super glue. ShinAe always approached Xiumin first in Exo and Luhan was basically Xiumin’s shadow. And that irritated him. 

Kris then, on the third day, watched the younger Exo members and joke with her as he was being chic and kept a distance from her. 

Saterday.. Sunday… Monday… Tuesday.  It’s already Tuesday and I still haven’t had a conversation with her.” Kris was pacing in his room. "I haven’t approached her because ... Because. .. It’s certainly not because I like her and that I’m nervous.  I.. I don’t even like her.” His chest ached with the last sentence.  He took a deep breath. He stopped reasoning to himself. He certainly had a thing for her. He was definitely drawn to her without any particular reason. He no longer denied it from then on with the aching feeling he had to confirm what he felt within his heart. Kris also knew he was going to regret it if he didn't talk to her by tonight before he becomes busy. 

“Tonight, I’m going to talk to her.” He swore to himself as he got ready for the get together that night. 

MinSeok booked the whole ballroom for Exo which ShinAe was invited to. Once they all arrived Minseok had the bartender pour drinks for all 13 of them. Seo ShinAe eventually sat out after the first shot and watched the young Exo members make a fool out of themselves. 

For a while ShinAe sat to herself just laughing at how silly the boys were.  Baekhyun eventually sat down, wanting a bit of attention from her and got it by telling her childish jokes. “Noona” he said as he reached for both of her hands. “What do you call a tree that fits into your hand?”  He said cupping his hands beneath hers. He waits for her to answer but nothing comes out from her tinted lips. Baekhyun then leans forward making sure to make eye contact with her and says, “a palm tree.”  She laughs and he laughs with her. Baekhyun then goes on to tell more jokes between the two of them. ShinAe adds into the ruckus in the ballroom with laughter, unaware of a pair of eyes that been watching her. 

"Tall, I'm definitely tall, and handsome." Kris mumbled to himself leaning back at the bar and looking out towards where ShinAe was sitting. Baekhyun was sitting in front of her, working his charms like usual and being cute.  "Mysterious and cold...” he mumbled. Kris almost couldn't stand it. Here was Baekhyun being cute and nothing like the guy she told her grandpa about. The man she might have had her eyes on was totally different from Baekhyun. 

 

Xiumin walked by, “Hey you alright?” he asked seeing that Kris was leaning on the bar. 

"I don't think she cares for mysterious and cold, Xiumin Kris said to his older friend. Xiumin looks at him in confusion. “AAHH it Xiumin. Forget this cold front that she likes. Bartender, 2 cognacs here.” Kris said and handed a shot to Xiumin moments later. “One shot, I’m going to go for it.” Kris said hitting his glass with Xiumin's. He drank his shot as Xiumin followed quickly after.  

Xiumin did know what Kris meant. He looked to see who was in the direction that Kris slowly approached.  When he saw what Kris motive was he laughs, “Obviously, I should have known by now.” he then went on his     way. 

 

“Should I do it? How do I do it? What do we talk about? I should come back after I have thought of a subject to talk about.” Question after question went through his head as he walked up to the two who were laughing. Right as he was about to turn away, as if by fate, Baekhyun stood up and left. In front of him was an empty chair, inviting him to sit. Kris let out a sigh. “Now, or never” he thought and he sat down finally attempting to talk to the girl he has been eyeing for months. 

 “Finally” he though as soon as he relaxed in the chair. Many seconds pass and he hasn’t said a word to her for she still was watching the members pile on top of each other. He focuses on her and waits for her to turn to him. There he sat looking at her with furrowed brows like usual. “She probably doesn’t even know that I’m here.” He sees her turning back towards him but with her gaze towards whatever is on her lap. She then slowly lifts her gaze to meet Kris'. Her simple jesters were incredibly alluring leaving him breathless and out of words. 

I slowly saw some one walk towards us as Baekhyun and I were still in the middle of laughing. “Baekhyun!” Chanyeol called.  Baekhyun and I turned to look and they were piling up on someone who had decided to lay down for a bit.  They waved for him to join the pile up and Baekhyun gladly accepted. Baekhyun left and my eyes followed him to the dog pile as I saw Kris sit down from my peripheral view. “Finally” I though as I saw him relax in the chair that was just recently occupied by Baekhyun. 

For a few seconds he just sat there. I could still see him from the side glaring at me again with his usual expression that he would give me every few weeks when I saw him. I could always feel his gaze, his eyes seemed to dilate like a shark after smelling blood, and they always looked intimidating. Chills ran down my back as I talked to MinSeok every few weeks at school. With eyes like that, I protected myself from him. I never dared to look at him afraid that he might knock the consciousness out of me. 

“I’m going to meet his gaze; I don’t care if I go falling to his feet if I do.” I thought and took a deep breath to prepare myself mentally. Still a bit hesitant, I wanted to make sure he really had his eye set on me. I wanted to give him every chance possible to leave or to turn away before my eyes met his. I slowly turned toward his direction with my eyes focused down on my lap. I then slowly fixed my eyes upon his. Kris' eyes still there were boring down on me.  I was breathless. I’ve been captured. At that moment I felt light headed not sure if it was from the shot I took an hour ago or from being engulfed with feelings I’ve never felt before caused by the man in front of me. More time passed and he hasn’t said anything. He’s was just sitting there looking at me as I soaked in his features. 

“Are you having fun?” I finally asked. 

She cut our eye contact as I keep my eyes on her. She turned to look elsewhere. A smile is created upon her face and she nods. “I think this is the first time were talking to each other.” She said to me. She reached out her hand and says “Hi, I’m Seo ShinAe.” 

A smile grew on his face and he laughed. Right then everything became a blur. The images of intense gazes ShinAe remember and know him as was suddenly all replace with his gummy smile. He took her hand and with a firm grip they shook hands. “Well Miss Seo, my name is Kevin Li, my friends call me Kris.” He said reaching for an open bottle of soju. “Let’s celebrate. Why we don’t have a shot together to celebrate our first … conversation.”  He said pouring the ice cold soju into a crystal clear shot glass beside her. ShinAe took the bottle from him after he filled her glass to the top. He reached to get a clean shot glass turning it right side up and ShinAe filled his to the top too.  With the atmosphere at ease and the liquor to lower the tension of uneasiness between the two, their conversation was able to be filled with jokes and laughter. 

“You see those two over there?" Kris said pointing towards xiuhan who were playing together. "Luhan's best friend maybe Xiumin, but I’ll tell you a secret.”  He said coming closer to her ear. “Xiumin’s best friend is actually me.” 

“You?” ShinAe asked him. 

“I don’t live with him for no reason.” and he nods in affirmation. 

She shakes her head. “I think I know some else who is actually Xiumin's real best friend.”  

“Who? Someone here?” he asks. 

 “Someone only he and I know, an oppa that only he and I know.”  

"It must be that someone she described to her grandfather". That thought quickly shot through Kris’ head after he heard what she said. And their conversation came to a halt. 

 She looked at him and watched his expression changed as though he may be a bit hurt over something that she has said. She would have thought so but she slowly concluded that it was because a slow song was playing now.  

He looked around and she followed as he did. All of Exo were lying around the ballroom area by this time. Who knows how long Kris and ShinAe have talked. He stood up and reached his hands towards her. “Seo ShinAe, would you like to dance?” he asked 

“I don’t know how” she says taking his hand anyways. 

“I’ll show you, or we can just stand because I’m not so sure myself” he laughs. He leads them to the dance floor. He takes both of her hands and places them in the right places; one his shoulders and one in his palms. 

In that moment, they both felt their senses again.  The smell of liquor was now unnoticeable and the rush they were feeling from being in this kind of situation proved that they were exactly sober. It was hard for her to look at Kris. Both of their breaths were uneasy and they tried to hide it. He watched her with want and need which could be seen through the way he looked at her. She felt like her heart was going to burst just by how she saw him looking at her from her peripheral view. 

At first, he kept a distance between their bodies. He didn't want to scare her away when nothing had even started yet. As for her, she was nervous. Whatever she felt inside made her grow shy and she didn’t dare face him again let alone look at him. 

Kris looked around and scanned the ballroom again. By this time of night, most of the guys were dozing of already and Kris gained more courage to make a move on ShinAe. If she rejected him at least no one was awake or sober enough to see it happen. "ShinAe. ."  He leaned in to call her but she was too shy to look into his eyes. 

“Hm?”  She hums to answer him as she tried to look at everything else but Kris. 

Kris removes his hand from her waist and reached out to move a strand of hair behind her ear.  He places his hand back behind her waist and pulls her in a bit closer making the space between them smaller. Kris leans to the side of her face without much hesitation almost nosing her cheekbones. "ShinAe I've have my eyes on you for quite a while now." he says it in a tone of want and sincerity, almost at a whisper but he knows she heard him clearly. 

"I know." She finally turns to look him in the eyes after he was far enough so their faces wouldn't touch.  

Of course ShinAe knew.  She wasn't oblivious. Anyone would know it right away if Kris was looking at you or not.  All those times she went to see MinSeok; she only went when Kris was there. She didn't have much to ask MinSeok and if she did, she could of texted.  

 Kris intrigued her. He was mysterious yet he was quirky and silly. She could tell by how loud Beagle Line laughed at him during lunch. She can’t believe she found someone so similar to the man described to her grandfather (which was johnny depp). 

What confused her was the tone that he said it in.  She had interpreted his cold piercing stares as disapproval that everyone received.  But his tone denounces otherwise.  In his tone, she felt longing and sincerity. That he really meant and felt something else he hasn’t said behind those words.  

Kris came back and leaned into the other side of her face, “I haven’t stopped thinking about you since last winter break." ShinAe grew Goosebumps. Since last winter break? ShinAe was here but she didn’t even know that Kris was or even noticed him. That would make a lot sense since she hardly saw MinSeok last winter. 

With the second whisper, the distance between their bodies were now gone. Her body was on his and he held her close. She can smell the slightest hint of cologne with a clean shampoo that he used for his hair. 

He came down again to her ear for the third time and she almost shivers in their close and intimate position. "You're more beautiful each time I see you." When he pulls away for the 3rd time she catches on and kept eye contact with him. She searches his eyes, the windows to one's soul, to see if the words he just spoke were truly sincere or if it was just her misinterpretation. She is moved emotionally and it scares her a bit allowing doubt to flow in her mind because Kris was really good-looking and he was talking to her for the first time. Was this a confession?  For a second she was more than eager to gladly accept if it was but yes; they were taking for the first time that evening which stopped her from kissing him first. 

With her peach tinted lips slightly open and her eyes tight on his, she was irresistible to Kris. Kris found himself slowly inching to her face, not to whisper something again but to kiss her. He seeks for her permission to allow him to kiss her since she’s lady he respects, he doesn’t do it verbally like a teenage boy but with action like a man. He bends down to leave a light peck on her cheek bone then pulls away slightly. She didn't back away. He then pulled back in and pecked her cheeks on the other side down closer to her lips. 

She feels like she’s going to melt. She holds on to his shoulders for support. The close contact went by too fast for her and every time he pulled away it felt like years until his face was near hers again.  

This was it, with the distance between them was gone and their heart rate was so erratic it didn’t make sense for them to hold out much longer. He going to kiss her and she was going to let it happen. She closes her eyes and for the first time ever eagerly wishes that his lips met hers quickly. 

 He knows he was going to lose control once he kisses her. This was a kiss he promises to never forget. He was finally going to be able to kiss this magnificent girl who’s caught him unknowingly for the past 5 months.  

They were a heartbeat away from each other’s their lips until a sharp light disrupted them from their moment.  

They jerked and backed away from each other using their hands like as visors to protect their eyes from the beaming bright lights. “Party’s over kids, its 2am.” They heard someone say. What was a dimly lit ballroom was not lit up again and that unfortunately ended their moment. They stood there in shock with their heart still beating fast. 

She stood there, still trying to understand and interpret what kind of emotions it was that she just experienced for the first time. 

He stood there running his hand through his hair.  A bit of frustrated that it ended, yet he was more than happy that it happened 

They both turned to look at each other and he smiled. He then turned around and went to wake up the members as she followed to help. 

That night they all walked her back to her room. She said good night to all of them even to the ones who were out and depended on the member’s shoulders to get back. She especially made sure to say goodnight to Kris and made sure that he was the last person she saw before closing her eyes to sleep that night. She didn’t know what it was that is happening between the both of them and what this meant but she did certainly like it. ShinAe wishes it can happen again and for it replay in her dreams. 

 

Days go by and the boys have been really going at it with MT activities. ShinAe only sees Exo here and there after they’ve washed up and make it back on time before dinner.  Two days, and though she’s had her mind on Kris, they haven’t talked. The only interaction they’ve had is catching each other’s gaze from across the room. Kris had to control the kids at the table and she'd be with her grandparents.  He’d send her a smile as if to say that he misses her letting her know that he hasn't brushed off what happened between them and she'd do the same in return. “They're here for an MT trip, Exo is busy”, she thinks to herself, but it doesn’t stop her from missing him anyways. 

 

The sun was setting Exo was playing outside in the fields of the resort. ShinAe sat to the side arranging flowers into a vase while watching Exo. Tao's usual partner who was Kris wasn’t there again. MinSeok then ran quickly over to ShinAe with someone following behind him. “ShinAe come play with us, we need one more person.” MinSeok said. 

“Dude, you’ve already picked me as your partner. How dare you leave me to be partnered up with Tao. You’re here to ask ShinAe to be your new partner huh?” Luhan said fake kicking MinSeok with his shin. 

“No, No. I’m getting ShinAe to be Tao's partner.” MinSeok said looking at Luhan. 

“Oh!... c’mon ShinAe.” Luhan said waving for her to follow them and the eventually grabbing her arm. “Let’s go.” Luhan said again.  She left her seat and walked to the fields with Luhan and Xiumin.  

There for 40 minutes, they played every game possible that dealt with; little balls, tossing and catching.  

 

After a few rounds of games and punishment, ShinAe realized what she got herself into. All the pushup punishments were carried out by Tao and ShinAe as they both kept on losing. Taos eye hand Coordination and ShinAe learned that after doing pushups 3 times in a row for losing at all 3 games. He kept on hitting ShinAe in the head or missing the ball and for that, the punishments were pushed upon Tao and ShinAe. All of them.  

_____________________________________________________________ 

By the end of the games I had the evil urge to squish him to death for making me this exhausted. No wonder he was without a partner without Kris here. I should have known better when Luhan came running to MinSeok thinking MinSeok was ditching him and leaving him with Tao. 

We of course ended up with the final penalty which was to run laps around the field. It had to be running; Exo was going to stand there to see that we ran. I was so angry at myself for what I got myself into. Tao kept apologizing the whole time and he wished I’d still be his partner for next time. I laugh at his wish.  

“ShinAe, I’m really sorry, I’ll let you hurt me if it makes you feel better.” He said as we made our way back to the lobby. 

I took his request seriously and turned around to look at him. "Lower yourself” he does and I tell him to go lower until his knees are at his chest and he's squatting. I walk behind him and he clenches his eyes a bit afraid of what I might do. “Noona is really angry.” I said behind him. Without thinking much I then jumped on top of him. “I’m going to squish you to death Huang Zi Tao for making me so exhausted!!” I tried. I thought I’d at least succeed in making him fall over with my weight but he just stood up. Tao ended up jumping a bit to fix me so I was safely on his back and gave me a piggy back ride. Once he hooked his arms under my knees, he started jumping off steps of stairs and running inside the hotel. 

 Feeling a bit scared, I close my eyes but ended up opening them again shortly after because I didn’t want to miss out on the thrill. I thought of staying on his back for about 7 minutes. Maybe he’ll die of exhaustion in that time. But minutes went by fast and he was still full will energy. He began pranking me and pretending to hit my head along walls and pillars of the hotel. We laughed and giggled. I grasped on his sweater and threatening to bite him. Every time he tried to swing my head to hit something, I'd hide my face into the center of his back. "This sweater... It smells good." I left my head away from Tao's back to take a look at his sweater. It was Kris' sweater.  I've seen Kris wear it multiple times. Even with all the fun, the thought of Kris came flooding back, that's when I knew that my plan wasn't going to work.  

“Ok let me off.” I said and he does. He was still laughing. "Thank you I had a lot of fun." 

"What did noona say? I didn't hear." He came closer to me to hear me say it again.  

I tippy toed and a whispered to his ear "Thank you for the piggy back ride." I came back down on my heels. "I haven't been on someone's back since I was a baby probably." It was the most fun I’ve had in the past 2 day since I danced with Kris. 

At that time I didn’t notice that he was watching. He was at it again giving me cold intense stares but this gaze looked a bit angry. I greeted him but he only turned around and walked away. 

Friday. 

Saterday. 

Another few days went by and I came to the conclusion that perhaps he was avoiding me. 

“I suggested you all get some rest, tomorrow before going home we're going to play football." he said. Everyone whined in exhaustion finally leaving us. After the door closes he opens his laptop and shuffle through his papers for meetings that his father has set up for him with clients from his father's company. 

I set myself down in front him as he mindlessly looks through his papers. "Ok tell me what's bothering you." I finally ask after I hear the door click confirming that we were alone 

"What do you mean, Xiumin?" he replies eyes still kept on everything else but me. 

"Something is bothering you and I want to know what it is." 

"Nothing is bothering me." 

"I live with you Kris- you can't fool me." He just sat there as if I wasn't there.  I took the papers in his hand and closed his laptop. He then went to go undo everything I just did. "You're killing us Kris, were exhausted with all the activities. You only work us like this when something’s bothering you."  

All of the MT Exo had been to; they have never been this exhausted. I wasn't looking forward to go back and start the last few weeks of school half dead.  

"Seo ShinAe".  I say and Kris stops for a split second and then continues. "This is about is about Seo ShinAe isn’t it?”  I finally caught his attention. 

"No... What?" he asked acting confused. 

"Don't 'what' me Kris. You didn't exactly do a good job at hiding who you had a crush on. I thought you would be able to handle it on your own but alright, I will help you out." 

"I don’t have a crush on anyone" Kris denies, "and I don’t need help." 

"Oh you don’t need help?  Since winter you've done nothing but look at her." Kris has nothing to say. "Since you never look at girls and see them as an object to hit and run, I thought it might be alright for you to pursue her you punk, but dude you’re a stubborn jerk." 

"This isn't about Seo ShinAe" Kris denies again. 

Xiumin ignores Kris' last sentence. "Okay we've been really busy so ShinAe looked more bored than usual. Tao didn't have a partner because you were at a meeting so I made ShinAe join the game. By default Tao and ShinAe took the ultimate punishment and she was really mad at him. What you saw was ShinAe trying to squish Tao to death out of anger but it didn't work." Xiumin explained quickly. 

Kris smiles after Xiumin was done. The thought of ShinAe wanting to squish Tao to death got to him. "So whatever you're upset about is my fault, I'm sorry. Now would you stop being a giant jealous blob and cancel the activity for tomorrow morning?" Kris doesn't answer but gives him a look that he'll consider that everyone is exhausted. That was more than enough for Xiumin and he goes out into the living room. 

It was now Saturday. The only people I saw were my family members that slowly arrived one by one. I only saw Exo when they were coming back from a tiring day of activities. They were too tired and we only greeted each other as they walked by. Minseok and I actually had conversations but that was usually in the morning when he woke up to roast coffee for the staff. Most days it was like Kris never even came to grandfather’s hotel. I felt lonelier than ever. My days felt like weeks. 

"Was he angry that I was with Tao? Could he be jealous? Jealous? Ha! Exo's Kris be jealous? Of what? I don’t even know if there anything to be jealous of about." I was left alone to my thoughts and I slowly felt like I was sinking. My heart was going to break wondering about what Kris might have felt while giving me that expression. I enjoyed his company and our dance that night. He made me feel what I've never felt before. Could something that didn’t even start yet already end so soon? My breath hitched and I realized that I was gasping for air. Tears were b to escape my eyes and I tried to control my feelings. "I'm not heartbroken" I told myself. "This isn’t even love, I only liked him. Only a bit." I thought to myself on the verge of crying. "This... This this is merely a crush." 

That afternoon, many of my aunts and uncles had made it to my grandparents resort. My family would be arriving soon too. My heart felt a wee bit better. I had let the tears stream down my face as I angrily forced myself to get over what I was feeling but that still didn't help me from feeling down every time I was left alone to my thoughts.  Before I knew it, I found myself wondering around grandfather's hotel again for the nth time these past few days. 

I was making my way around the hotel and walked past the rooms Exo were staying at. “Hey, Seo ShinAe wait.” MinSeok stopped me. “Let’s hang out while I have free time away from the boys. I haven’t seen you in days. “He invited me inside. 

“Where are the others?” 

“They went out to look around the farmers market." MinSeok oppa replied.  I went inside and sat myself down on the sofa. "ShinAe, I forgot my phone down stairs. Stay here and I'll be right back. Go ahead and turn on a movie for us to watch." MinSeok smiled. He ran out the door and left me in his suite he shared with Exo. Right when he left, I thought I heard Kris' voice. I shook my head. It was unbelievable how often I thought about him. My feet, on its own, started moving ahead and I started wandering around again with Kris in the back of my head.  

While looking around the suite, my phone beeped. It's low on batteries. I decided to charge it with a charger I saw in the bathroom.  I plugged in my phone and from the bathroom I heard some mumbling. I decided to seek it out and before I knew it I walked into what looks to be like a meeting. It was Kris and a foreign couple. 

 "I'm sorry, please excuse me." I quickly apologized. "He was having meeting while he’s on vacation still?"  I thought. I tried to shuffle away not wanting to be a bother. 

"It's fine, do join us young Miss." the foreigner called out. Reluctantly I made myself go over there. I don’t know why but I didn’t have the will to turn away either. I came closer and the only place I could sit was next to Kris. It was awkward and hard for me to see his face after being crushed but I sat down anyways. 

"This is Seo ShinAe; she is the granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Seo. Kris said introducing me. “Seo ShinAe this is Sunny and his wife. They are my parent’s business partners from India." 

After the introductions, with me around, their meeting slowly switched from business to talks about life. Sunny and his wife shared their love story to Kris and I and we listened attentively. 

 "Sunny and I knew we were meant for each other, that we were soul mates. Even so, we were best friends with our careers as both of our main goals. I always thought that love could wait while or dreams cant. But one day Sunny asked "For people like us, can love really wait? Is there really such a thing?" He proposed and it scared me. Even though I was afraid, I trusted Sunny with all my heart and with that we eloped. Today we're inseparable and the only thing I could wish for is to share my life with him sooner." 

For a bit I wondered why Sunny's wife had shared that to us. Maybe they sensed the tension between us that Kris and I had yet to admit to each other. Kris and I just listened for we had no experience to share ourselves. We both just sat there listening and once in a while meeting each other gazes. _________________________________________________ 

Sunny and his wife had other plans and stood up to leave after the 20 minute conversation. Right then, Xiumin came in and asked ShinAe to head down stairs. Exo kids were going out to dinner and asked ShinAe to come along. She left first wanting to hang out with the younger kids and wanting to stay away from Kris since it's still awkward. They'd be of much help to whatever she was feeling when she was by herself. ShinAe left the suite.  She looked for her phone to call the kids but wasn't in her pocket. She walked around looking for it thinking of where she might have left it and remembered she charged it in the restroom of Miseok's room. She went back inside the suite and headed straight to the restroom.  There she met Kris again. The person she hoped to avoid. “Are u looking for something?” he asks. Her heart aches, not quite sure over what but she can’t bare to look at him. She turns her body and away from him and says no. ShinAe strolls out of the suite trying to get away from Kris. Kris follows her and catches up to her. He hooks his arms with hers and stops her abruptly. Exhaling, Kris goes and stands in front of her and looks at her in the eyes. He takes out her phone from her his pocket and places it inside her pocket. 

 What’s with all the extra effort after he’s been mad at me for the past few days. What were his intentions? “Thank you she whispered” she walked away again. He started walking again making sure he was at the same pace as she was. They were both going to the same place anyways. 

Kris and ShinAe made their way down the main staircase. "ShinAe is this friend?” ShinAe heard someone ask in Korean she turned to look. It was her aunt. 

She thought about if for a second before answering being careful what this might lead to, since the term 친구(friend) had double meaning in her family since her family used it a a safety cushion or a modest term  for "lover" as well.  

"Yes.. He's Minseok oppa's friend.” She said back in Korean. 

“Oh my, your friend is quiet handsome.”  

“Yes, he’s very handsome.” ShinAe answered her aunty in response. 

What’s his name? 

“Kr… his name is Kevin Li” 

“Wow our ShinAe has found herself such a good looking young man.” ShinAe's aunt said. She then turned to Kris and asked “Young man have you Eaten?” in Korean 

“Aunty he doesn’t…” she replied before being cut off by Kris 

“Yes I have. Thank you very much.” Kris answered back in Korean with a smile on his face. ShinAes heart dropped. He totally understood everything that was said between ShinAe and her aunt. 

Once they’ve gotten to the lobby ShinAe’s aunt went to the library as Kris and ShinAe walked together into the circulating door “I didn’t know you speak Korean let alone understand it.” The tension and the ice between them was breaking. 

“Language, it’s something I can grasp easily” he said leaning in closely to her to fit into the moving doors. She used her shoulders to lightly push him away to create a distance between them again. 

The farmers market was set on the street in front of the hotel. They went about looking at the little shops and what it provided. They started opening up to each other and talking resumed again and was soon followed with teasing and light pushes. 

While walking to the restaurant, loud noises could be heard. Every one crowded around and circled the ruckus. Kris turned around to see what was going. She knew what was happening, it was the towns drunk making a scene again. "Kris" she called him lightly, "don’t pay attention to such things." To her, that kind of behavior isn’t acceptable at all. He smiled at her, “let’s go” he said and circled arms around her waist. He lead them to the restaurant they were supposed to meet Exo at. There she played with the kids. By then, with the help of Xiumin, the kids certainly knew why Kris has decided they come to the resort for their MT trip.  they played with ShinAe still but they saved themselves letting EXO's Duizhang have her. 

During dinner time Exexplained what they did and funny events that happened while Kris spent his time in meetings. She finally knew why he was gone for those few days after their dance. He was so busy. Even on vacation he had to attend to his parent’s business partners. He must be getting calls and emails left and right being someone who is so young yet so involved with business at the same time. "Thank you for not having your phone out." I said to him after we were heading back to the resort from dinner. 

"My time with you is precious" he said before MinSeok caught up to us. 

Minseok, Kris, and ShinAe made their way back to the hotel first as the others left to go out and about. As they approached the hotel a car pulled up and Xiumin looked off into the distance to see who it was. “You guys go on in first." Xiumin said.  ShinAe and Kris went in first walking side by side. 

“Oh my ShinAe is here.” someone said once they were inside. 

“Mrs. Kim you’ve made it” ShinAe replied and went to give her a hug. 

“Ah you two come sit right here.” Mrs. Kim said and patted and the sofa next to her. ”Nice to see you Kris. I was glad to hear that you’ve come with Minseok. 

Thank you Mrs. Kim. Exo came here for our MT trip.” Kris replied. 

“ShinAe, were you two out on a date? Is he your Boyfriend?” ShinAe's grandma asked. 

“Um.. no." she said turning to look at Kris. 

"Of course not dear wife" ShinAe's grandpa interjected. 

“We weren’t out on a date… I was with Minseok oppa too." ShinAe quickly added. 

"Of course our ShinAe was with our Minseok" her grandpa said smiling at her grandma. 

Right then, loud excited tones could be heard from the door way. “Ah here comes our ShinAe's future husband.” ShinAe’s grandfather said.  

That caught Kris' attention.  Both ShinAe and Kris looked towards the door. Kris instantly remembered the conversation ShinAe had with her grandfather last winter “ShinAe settling for Gn. Kim's grandson.”  

 Gn. Kim’s grandson whoever he was, he was walking in with that group of people that was coming into the lobby. Right then Kris grew a bit jealous. He just barely got the young Exo members to keep a distant from ShinAe and now he has someone else to worry about. 

Kris looked at the guy standing next to Xiumin. He was nothing like what Seo ShinAe described to her grandfather last winter. Sure he was tall and but he wasn’t as handsome, at least not as much as Kris. The guy walking in eyes sparkled upon seeing ShinAe. Kris looked at ShinAe and she was as happy to see him as much as he was to see her. 

“Is my ShinAe going to give me a hug?” Kris watched ShinAe get up and walk towards him.  

"Tsk." Kris scoffed at the nerve this guy had to request a hug from his ShinAe. Kris watches ShinAe comply to the request without hesitation. They squeeze one another in their embrace and look at each other without letting go.  

At this point, Kris thought that ShinAe’s real ideal type might actually be someone who was warm and easy going. Not like what she described in detail to her grandfather or how he was trying to portray himself as. He watched ShinAe gave the guy a tight hug and he ruffled her hair. 

Kim grandson-in-law, come here." Kris heard ShinAe's grandfather call but apparently the man who was holding ShinAe in his arms didn’t reply. 

“This guy doesn’t even have respect for the elders, why do they like him?" Kris thought with his eyes still stuck on ShinAe and the man who had his arms around her shoulders. 

“Hurry up young man.” ShinAe's grandpa called again. 

“Excuse me...” Kris was going to interrupt their moment together when he heard a plop and a quick shuffling towards ShinAe's grandpa. 

“Sorry Seo-grandfather, I was helping Shinsoo and ShinAe’s parents with their luggage.” 

Kris turned around to see Xiumin shaking hands with ShinAe's grandfather. 

 “MM.” the Grandfather hummed with approval, smiling at Xiumin. “Our Kim Minseok, look at how you’ve grown!"  

Confusion rocked its way into Kris’ head as he tried to grasp what was happening. “Just now you were out with ShinAe, I guess your set on our ShinAe as well?” ShinAe's grandfather asked Xiumin. 

“Ah, no. Um.  Well not that I don’t like… I really care for ShinAe, but I don’t think ShinAe likes me.”  Xiumin stuttered. Aware that Kris was around, he picked his word carefully to not offend ShinAe's grandfather and not to hurt Kris' feelings. 

“Well of course our ShinAe does.” another man said. “Why else would she have chosen to attend the same college as our Kim MinSeok?” 

Kris looked at Xiumin and he could tell that Xiumin was quiet helpless. All Xiumin could do was smile as they went on teasing Xiumin as a Potential couple. 

"Our handsome Minseok, it's been a while, I'd like to have some of your coffee" the man said. 

"Oh of course Mr. Seo, I'll go make some for us right now." Kris watched Xiumin take to opportunity to leave the situation he was just in. He decided to follow Xiumin in case Xiumin need help in the kitchen. But really he followed Xiumin to get answers. 

"Was that ShinAe’s dad you were just talking to?" Kris asked once he reached the kitchen. 

"Yeah." Xiumin answers pressing coffee in to the coffeemaker. 

Kris walked over to stand by the counter with Xiumin. "Last winter when we were here, I heard Mr. Seo wanting to set up Seo ShinAe with some Gn. Kim's grandsonKris went on to say. ".. Not once did it click to me that you'd be Gn. Kim's grandson, the guy they wanted for ShinAe." 

Xiumin smiled. "Yeah we're engaged to each other verbally. Our engagement is recognized by both of our families since childhood. Our family get together to tonight is to make it official."  

Kris was there to look for answers but got more than what he expected. He went to Xiumin intended to tell Xiumin that he was surprised Xiumin was the guy they wanted as ShinAe’s husband. "Wait... What?" Kris asked now a bit stressed. 

"Yup, tonight, my family and I are formally going to ask ShinAe to marry m-hahahhahhahhhahhaXiumin can no longer continue after how pale Kris had become. "Jesus WuFan, I'm just kidding. Don't die on me" Xiumin said laughing. 

"What the hell Kim Minseok." Kris said turning around in frustration to rub his temples to help relieve some of his stress. 

"Calm down WuFan. It’s no big deal. There's nothing between ShinAe and I. She's basically my sister." Xiumin said laughing. “I didn’t tell you they like to pair me up with ShinAe because it really doesn’t mean anything to the both of us. ShinAe never showed interest in a boy nor had a boyfriend so her family likes to stick me on to her as a joke. And this is just our annual get together. ...Please don't hit me, I have hot coffee" Xiumin finished off almost pleading.  

Kris took a few seconds to clear his mind again. Kris sighed. "Would u like some help." Kris doesn't know what else to say. 

"No I got it" Xiumin says happily because he escaped torture. 

"I could use some help." someone else said entering the kitchen. 

Kris turned around and it was the man he mistook as Gn. Kim’s grandson. "Sure, what do you need help with?" Kris was more than willing to help this guy. He knew he needed to make a good impression to this guy though they didn't even introduce one another to each other yet. 

"Thanks" the guy says to Kris after Kris was done helping him. "You go to the same school as my sister and Minseok. I'm Miseok’s friend Seo Shinsoo." He said with hands out to shake Kris' hands. 

"I'm Kris" Kris gladly took his hands. ‘ShinAe's brother’ he mentally took note of that. 

"I know who you are; Xiumin has mentioned you to me. Since we're both good friends of Minseok and we're the same age, let's be comfortable and get along as well." Shinsoo said before walking out of the kitchen with more drinks to serve. 

Because the time they had together was unfortunately short this time, everyone went upstairs to get dressed and met up again in the ball room by 9. Xiumin invites his friends so he can introduce his parents to them and they all come join the social event. There they took pictures and had finger food. They talked and tried to catch up with each other since family reunions like these were a rare occasion.  

“Baby sis, you dating him?” ShinAe hears her brother ask before seeing him. 

“Who?”  

“Your 7 o’clock, guy to my left.” she takes a quick look at the direction her brother is asking her about.  They both try to be discrete about it. A few meters away from them, two guys sat at a round table. 

“No, Baekhyun and I are just friends.” 

Shinsoo lets out a sigh. “I’m obviously not talking about Baekhyun.”  

“Um, no were not dating.” ShinAe doesn’t need to look again to know who. 

Um? What does that even mean” Shinsoo asks. She doesn’t answer. “Are you getting to know each other?” 

“Um.. I don’t know. I’m not sure.” Her brother looks at her in disbelief. “Why?” she asks. 

“Just curious, wondering what you’ve been up to, that’s all.” Shinsoo says. “He’s been looking at you all night you know?” Her brother says after taking a sip of his drink. “I ask MinSeok earlier about him, Minseok approves.” 

“Approves of what?” 

“Don’t act like you don’t know, you and him of course. Minseok said he’s a good guy. You should go talk to him I know you want to.” Her brother suggests. She looks at him as if to tell him to stop it.  

“Yeah you should go, we know you want to. Shinsoo and I have never seen you look at anyone longingly like the way you look at him. We talked about this earlier, right Shinsoo?” Xiumin says hugging his childhood friend. Shinsoo nods in agreement. 

“I’m leaving.” ShinAe was so done with her brother and MinSeok. Her 2 big brothers trying to persuade her to make a move on a guy, nothing could get more awkward than that. She walked out of the ball room. She went outside to get some fresh air and follows a pathway to a secluded bench to sit. She was done with the teasing and she wanted to be alone for a bit.  

Though its spring, the nights are still cold. Chill run through her body and she grows Goosebumps. Her purple dress hardly keeps her warm and she decides not to stay out so long. Before she shivers and decides to leave the bench beneath the vine covered arch where she found a quick refuge, she begins to hear the lightest sound of footsteps. 

“Of all the places to go to, why would you come to such a secluded area?” Kris comes and sits next to her..  

“This place is pretty at night with all the lights along the pathway on. Also I needed to get away from MinSeok and my brother. They like to tag team and tease me when the three of us are together.”  

Kris nods. There’s a quick silence between them. “ShinAe, I didn’t know you and MinSeok had a thing for each other.” 

“There’s nothing between MinSeok oppa and I…” She goes on to explain. A smile forms on his face as he watched ShinAe try to clarify that it’s a teasing mechanism they used since she was a child. Her effort makes him happy. ShinAe explains the situation so Kris doesn’t misunderstand. ShinAe was so occupied with explaining the family inside joke to him that she goes blank when she finally takes a look at him. 

Kris was smiling at her and he was gorgeous. Right then she realized that he was also teasing her. She sighs in defeat. He kind of lets out a chuckle. He adores her. “I’ll go sit somewhere else since you’re here to bug me. She finally says. 

“I’m sorry.”  He says quickly. “ShinAe, stay... please.” He says grabbing on to her hand before she could get up. “I came to apologize. I’m sorry for not being able to talk to you after our dance. I’m also sorry for being such a jerk and avoiding you after I saw you with Tao. Every second that I was away from you I couldn’t stop thinking about you. I kept on replaying and reliving the moment you and I shared together while we were dancing and realized that I wasted a lot of time that I could have spent with you. Please accept my apology.”  He says the last sentence sincerely. Kris smiles after he sees that she does accept and nods to show him so. They sit there looking at each other in a short silence 

She takes a second to think because she remembers clearly what her brother and MinSeok tells her to do. They tell her to talk to him. But they’re already talking to each other now. “Earlier, Shinsoo asked me…” she can’t believe it that she’s going to ask but she wants clarification for herself. “Shinsoo asked me if we were dating, and I told him no. He then asked if we were talking to each other and I told him I didn’t know. You and I are barely friends, but there’s this tension between us which confuses me. People have been asking me and I don’t know how to answer because I myself don’t even know…” She says it clearly. Getting to the point and summing it all up, she asks him one more question. “What are we Kris?” it comes out shakily. ShinAe shivers from the cold and nervousness.

Kris takes off his jacket and puts it around her bare shoulders to keep her warm. He takes advantage of this opportunity to cut the distance between them to zero. Kris sits next to her and intertwined his fingers at her waist. He pulls her in so she leans on him and holds her in his embrace. A warm sensation of completeness fills Kris and ShinAe from within. “When people ask if you’ve been out on a date with me, don’t say you were out with MinSeok, just say yes.” he says.

Kris then leans in to whisper into her ear like when they danced. “If your grandfather asks you if you have someone, please say yes." he pulls away and takes out her hand. He places a gentle kiss on her knuckle before putting it back into the warmth of his jacket. “If he then asks you to tell him more, please think of me and talk about me to your grandfather.”

He inches closer tilting his head to the perfect position ready to kiss her. “Even though you don’t have a lot to say about me to him now, I promise you will have a lot of nice things to tell him about the next time he askes you again.” They both become nervous and the rush from the night they danced boomerangs back. Their foreheads touch, “Is it moving too fast for you if I tell others that your mine and I belong to you?” Kris finally asks.

He’s liked her for 5 months but for her, he assumes that it’s only been a week. ShinAe is ecstatic upon hearing Kris’ words and she shakes her head lightly to tell him that the progression of their relationship doesnt scare her. ShinAe closes whatever distance that was between them and joins her lips with his.