51: the meeting

The Problem Children
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

 

fifty-one: the meeting

[/CONTENTID1][CONTENTID2]

[This was way more nerve-wracking than any History project.]

[/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

Juyeon fully expected the other PCs of Class 44, sans Sumi and Exo, to go and do their own thing like most of the other High Class students seemed to be doing. Most of the other PCs were indeed treating it like a joke; there were some running up and down the halls and exuberantly misusing their powers to pull pranks, without any fear of punishment. Many seemed to be going back to their rooms to sleep, while some talked of going to the other Wings and wreaking havoc (although it seemed like they weren't planning to walk the talk—they didn’t want to make too big of a risk, after all, just in case the teachers came back, and it looked like everyone agreed that this was just some big hoax).

However, nearly all of the other students of Class 44 were following her to Donovan’s office, muttering darkly to each other. Key, Minho, and Taemin were right at the front of the crowd, along with Jonghyun and Onew, who had joined them without a second thought. They were soon followed by Seoyeon and Minjun, both of whom looked almost fearful about the situation.

They trusted her and Sumi and the Exo, Juyeon realized with a start. Her classmates trusted her enough, without a single bit of antagonism, to know that something serious was going on, and they were there with her until the end to figure it out. The thought warmed her, like taking a sip of hot chocolate in winter, and she felt even just a little bit braver.

They reached Donovan’s office without anyone stopping them, but also without catching sight of any teachers patrolling the halls. Juyeon would have thought not seeing Pain or Horror glaring threateningly at her down the hallway would be a blessing, but it just made her nervous.

”Donovan?” Sumi called once they were outside his door. She knocked on the heavy wood. “Donovan, wake up! Please, we need to talk to you. Donovan!”

There was no answer. She tried the door handle. It was locked.

”Juyeon,” Sumi said, fear in her voice. She looked extremely vulnerable at that moment, small and scared. “His door is never locked. Never. He’s always here, always …”

”It’s okay, Sumi,” Juyeon said, automatically holding her wrist, even though it really wasn't okay and they were all young stupid teenagers that didn't know what to do. “It’s okay, there—there has to be an explanation for all this—”

”Juyeon, something’s changed,” Key said. “Something’s wrong. And we—we PCs don’t respond well to change, okay? We don’t do well when something is flipped completely upside down!”

It was true. As Juyeon looked around, she noticed that all her classmates looked more scared and unsure than she’s ever seen them before. They had never been more vulnerable. They really weren’t responding well to this. This, quite possibly, made Juyeon feel even more panicked. 

Sehun looked at her, more emotion in his expression than she’s ever seen. It made him surprisingly young-looking, almost like a child. “Juyeon,” he said, and with a start she realized it was one of the few times he’s ever called her by name. “What do we do?”

Everyone was looking at her. Waiting. Hoping. Desperate for answers and not knowing how to cope. Even Sumi, another normal, looked like she was about to fall apart. The realization that Donovan might not be inside his office, where he always is and always was, to settle their fights and give them comfort and tell them what to do to make everything okay, had hit her hard.

It was up to her to figure this out.

Juyeon took a deep, shaky breath. Her palms were clammy with sweat. Mom, you were always a natural leader. What should I do?

She had no idea what her mom might say in this sort of situation, but she tried to imagine it. She tried to remember her flowery perfume and soft, gentle hands, and pretty face. Strong and beautiful and kind and everything Juyeon had ever wanted to be.

My dearest daughter, do what you do best.

And what is that? Juyeon thought desperately, but she already knew the answer. Without meaning to, her uneasy frown turned into a slight smile.

Be bossy.

 

 

~*~

”Suho,” she said firmly, snapping everyone out of their thoughts. “Is there a PA system somewhere? Maybe the ones they use to sound the buzzers in-between classes?”

”Y-yeah,” he said. “We used to have morning news, but our student volunteer announcers turned out to be a bit too inappropriate, and the radio program was shut down. They should still have all the equipment up and running.”

”Take me there.”

She was led to the PA system office, Class 44 trailing after her uncertainly. She felt utterly, completely terrified, her stomach twisting and churning as fierce as a storm out in sea. But she also felt totally powerful and in control, and surprisingly clear-headed. It was like someone else was controlling her (but not in Jun’s way), someone that Juyeon always wished she could be but had quickly realized she never was.

Once they reached the PA system office, a cramped, dusty little closet with a single light bulb and old announcing equipment, Juyeon impatiently messed around with the buttons until she figured out how to turn the system on. She cleared and bent down to the microphone.

”High Class?” She winced as she heard her voice magnified and echoing down the halls outside of the little office. Did her voice really sound like that? How embarrassing. “High Class, this is Jung Juyeon speaking, your most hated normal. Let’s get a few things out in the open. Our chefs are gone. Our Librarian is gone. Our teachers are gone, and as far as we can tell, Donovan is gone as well.”

Just hearing those words made her classmates waiting outside shuffle anxiously. She wondered what it would feel like, to be able to do nothing but rely on a single man your entire life, your very livelihood literally under his control, and to have him suddenly disappear without a word. It would be very much like waking up one morning and discovering your parents were gone, your house empty.

”I know you don’t want to take orders from me, but we all need to work together to figure this out. I ask that you all meet in the gymnasium in five minutes, and we can sort things out from there. I’ll be waiting.”

And with that, she shut the system off.

”That’s it?” Kai asked incredulously as she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter