20: triggers

The Problem Children
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

 

twenty: triggers

[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

["Maybe there's truth in your way of life, things we can learn."] [/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

Juyeon thought Sumi had scared them away for good last time; but she was once again ambushed on her way to the dorms from the library.

"Don't think Sumi will save you this time," Shim Minah snarled, hands balling into fists.

"I don't care," Juyeon groaned, running a hand down her face. "Really. I don't. What did I do this time?"

Once again, her attitude seemed to put off the other groupies, who looked disconcerted and a little embarrassed at her total lack of fear. They shuffled backwards and fiddled with the hems of their skirts, glancing nervously at their leader for guidance. Minah scoffed.

"We know what you did during your dissection class," she said. "You acted all weak and pitiful and played the damsel in distress card, so Do Kyungsoo would save you!"

Juyeon blankly stared. "Who?"

"She doesn't even know the name of the guy she's batting her eyelashes at," someone muttered scathingly. "It's D.O, you idiot."

"D.O?" Juyeon thought about it, temporarily stunned. She honestly never even considered what D.O's real name was. The others only ever called him D.O, after all.

Another thought, however, became more pressing. "Wait, how do you know about the dissection? None of you are in Class 44—thank god."

Minah frowned and made a gesture with her hand. "Daeri, come here."

A girl was pushed to the front of the crowd. She was extraordinarily tiny, and looked even smaller when she hunched her shoulders in a uniform jacket a size too large for her. She hid behind her bangs, unable to meet the eyes of her leader.

"This is Kwon Daeri," Minah said haughtily. "She has clairvoyance—she can see things in a locked, soundproof room clear on the other side of the East Wing. We use her to keep an eye on you and Exo, make sure you don't pull something cheap. Which you did."

This sparked the rest of the groupies, who began to hiss insults and profanities at Juyeon like a den of indignant snakes. Juyeon ignored their childish attack, being far too interested in exactly what Kwon Daeri's power entailed.

"Wait, so let me get this straight," she said. "You use your power to spy on them from a different class?"

"It's not spying," Daeri said, looking physically uncomfortable and glancing at Minah every few seconds as if for help. Minah quickly backed her up, and said, "And I keep an eye on you, too! I have the power to see a little into the future, so if you ever plan some sneaky way to get closer to them I'll know—"

"Have you ever used it on them when they're or in the shower?"

"No!" Daeri had answered a little too fast and a little too loud.

A wicked grin of disbelief spread across Juyeon's face. "No way. You totally have!"

"No, I haven't!" Daeri was blushing so hard it was a miracle there was any blood left in her body that wasn't rushing to her cheeks. The groupies her.

"Daeri! How could you?"

"That's not fair!"

"Can I see?"

Juyeon took the chance to slip away. Once she was safely out of sight, she burst into hysterical laughter. Enough that she had to clutch her sides and crouch down, enough that eventually no sound came out. It was strangely exhilerating.

"God, they're so dumb," she gasped once she could get her voice back, wiping tears from her eyes as she returned to the girls dorms.

"What's up with you?" Sumi asked, raising her eyebrow. Her golden hoop ring caught the light for a second, flashing in Juyeon's eyes.

Juyeon explained as best as she could, and watched as Sumi's lips twitched before a giggle broke free. Like breaking a dam, her stern façade crumbled and her face relaxed into a gasp of laughter.

"That's horrible," she said, "but it's also the funniest damn thing I heard all day."

"Same," Juyeon said, and then the strangest thing happened.

She held out her hand, for a moment forgetting who she was talking to, and without a second of hesitation Sumi high-fived her anyway.

Juyeon gaped, but Sumi didn't seem to notice her change in attitude. She turned back to her ancient, chunky laptop, still chuckling. Juyeon, very wisely, chose not to say anything. She slumped down onto her bed, the cheap fabric of the blanket itching at her skin, and smiled up at the ceiling so hard her cheeks ached.

 

 

The next day, seeing Exo in class prompted Juyeon to burst into smothered giggles again.

"What's wrong with you?" Sehun asked sourly as he took his seat. Juyeon thought of Daeri secretly spying on him when he's changing and sniggering all over again.

"What's got you so happy?" Kai asked, staring at her curiously. Juyeon pressed her lips together hard so she could stop, but it was too difficult. She burst into smothered laughter. Kai's own lips twitched in response. "Seriously, sweetheart, what's the deal?"

"There's—" Juyeon took in a deep breath so she could get the story out. "There's a girl in your annoying little fan club who uses her PC powers to watch you guys in the shower."

"What?" The Exo were a lot less delighted about the situation than Juyeon, who started cackling evilly again immediately after she said it. Suho, Sehun and Baekhyun blushed and looked extremely embarrassed. D.O turned around to look at Juyeon incredulously, eyes as wide as they could go in a deer-in-the-headlights expression. Chanyeol looked annoyed, amd surprisingly even Kai seemed thoroughly unamused.

"You're serious?" D.O asked, face twisting into a grimace. Juyeon nodded. "Basically admitted it. How does it feel to know you've been spied on?"

"It means I'll have to start showering at the same time as when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter