Chapter Two

Unlock The Door ~Hiatus~

Only the second day of school and Haneun was already homesick. She had a great night sleep but that was only because she was too tired to stay awake. Her bed was her santuary and Haneun had no intention to leave although she knew that her grandmother would be greatly disappointed in her if she was to miss a day of school on purpose. After lying in bed for a moment too long, Haneun finally got up. 

Her day then started with a warm greeting from Suni, Haneun's new best friend. Haneun groaned a little, too depleted of energy to get away. "Good morning, Haneun!" Suni smiled, hugging her friend. "Have you thought about what clubs you're going to join?"

"Clubs?" Haneun asked. "Ah..." she mumbled, remembering that it was the day the first years got to choose which school activity club they were going to join. After a hectic first day, Haneun had completely forgotten about the club fair. "I don't really have any interests..."

"We'll walk around together then," Suni smiled. "It'll be nice to join a club together."

"Suni ah, can I ask you a question?" Haneun asked.

"You already did," Suni grinned. "Okay, okay, just kidding. What is it?"

"Remember those guys we bumped into? One of them had red contacts on. Several other people have different coloured eyes as well. Are we allowed to wear coloured contacts?" she asked. "I thought it would be stricter here than a normal high school since they only accept special students."

Suni smiled, walking in front of Haneun. "You're allowed if your eye colour is natural," Suni said. "You're acting really strange though. You seem to be the only one in this school who doesn't know where you are exactly."

"Arario Academy...what else?"

"What are the students?"

"Why are you quizzing me? They're special," Haneun frowned.

Suni smirked a little. "How special?" she asked. When Haneun couldn't answer, Suni took her arm and walked around the fair with her, pointing several people out. "Those are just lowly monsters you don't really need to bother yourself with. Ah, those over there are...Succubuses. They won't do anything to you but if you're a guy...let's just say it won't be pretty."

"Succubuses? Are you making fun of me? Succubuses aren't real. They're mythical creatures," Haneun muttered.

"Nope, they aren't. Okay, since we're best friends, I will tell you," Suni said, taking in a deep breath. "I'm a Siren," she whispered to Haneun. "That's what you want to know, isn't it?"

"Siren?" Haneun raised an eyebrow. "What are you talking about?"

"Why are you being like this? You're acting like you know nothing about Arario Academy. Look, I've told you what I am. It's time you tell me what you are. Give it up."

"Er...human," Haneun said. "And I'm not playing with you. You're the one joking around with me."

Suni frowned and sniffed Haneun, making the girl feel uncomfortable. "Well...it's true that I can't smell anything off you," Suni said. "But your scent is a little weird. Anyway..." she said, sighing softly. "If you really are human, you shouldn't let other people know. A lot of people here would love a taste of fresh human meat."

Haneun was still a lot more confused than she was afraid but Suni dragged her, finally taking a good look at what club activities they could join.

In the corner was an extremely popular club with mostly girls gathering around. Suni pulled Haneun over but they had to jump to see what was going on. In the middle of the crowd was four guys. Haneun recognised the one sitting in what looked like a throne as the guy she bumped into and the one sitting on the arm of the throne as the really nice guy.

"Oh! It's B-Joo-oppa!" Suni gasped. "This must be the dance club! Ah...they're so cool."

They watched on as the tallest of the four guys showed off his dance skills. While dancing, he noticed something strange and looked into the crowd, frowning. B-Joo smirked a little and stopped the music, pulling the tall guy back. "Alright, alright, we can't show you too much," he smirked. "We have to keep some moves a secret from you guys. Now, if you want to join the dance club, please move to that side where Hojoon-hyung is. Thank you!"

All the girls screamed and scurried over to the side, taking forms from the black-haired guy. "Aren't you going?" Haneun asked Suni. "You've been fangirling over that nice guy."

"Fangirling? What are you talking about?" Suni frowned. "Are you talking about B-Joo-oppa? Ah...he's so dreamy, isn't he? B-Joo-oppa is of royalty. His family is the richest and of the highest class."

"What is he?"

"Chimera," Suni whispered to her.

"You." Both Suni and Haneun jumped a little and looked to see B-Joo pointing at them. "Are you going to join the dance club?" he smiled. Both of them shook their heads and stepped back when they saw B-Joo walking up to them. B-Joo walked up behind them and placed his arms around their shoulders. "I heard what you guys were talking about. I don't mind you talking about what I am but do remember the rules, first years. Just some advice though, if you want to survive, don't piss me off and that includes talking about what I am. Understood?"

The girls nodded and B-Joo let them go. He chuckled, watching as they hurried off. He looked back to Hansol and Xero who were still staring after the girls. "Oi, you've been staring at her since dancing," B-Joo said, looking at Xero. "I didn't know she was your type. Speaking of which, do you even have a type?"

"She's not my type," Xero said. "But she smells different, weird even."

"Good cos Hansol has his eyes on her. She's so his type," B-Joo leaned in and whispered to Xero but Hansol immediately glared. "Nothing, I didn't say anything," he smirked. "But now that both of you mentioned it, she does smell a little weird." 

"What's her name?" Xero asked.

"I don't know but I can find out for you," B-Joo said. "Hojoon-hyung, we'll leave that task to you!"

"Mwo?!"

Suni and Haneun strolled around the fair, still not interested in any club activities until someone came up to them, smiling brightly while holding out a flyer for them. "You guys are perfect for our club," the girl smiled. "What's your name?"

"Kim Suni and Lee Haneun."

"Welcome! These are forms to join our club. We're called A.T.P, short for Always Too Perfect. My name is New Chi," the girl grinned. "We'll be happy for you to join us. A.T.P is a group for singing and dancing so if you're interested, please join."

"Singing?" Suni asked and smiled. "I'll join. Come on, Haneun, you join too."

Under Suni's persuasion, Haneun filled in the form and joined the club with Suni. "Thank you!" New Chi smiled. "Club meeting will start next week. We'll see you then and introduce you to all our members. See ya!"

~.~

Escaping from Suni, Haneun decided to have lunch elsewhere so that she might have some peace and make sense of what was happening. All day, Suni was pointing out people to her, telling Haneun what they were but as she went on, Haneun only got more and more confused. How could all these mythical creatures exist? And why was she accepted into the academy when she was only a human?

Haneun went up the stairs leading to the rooftop and opened the door onto the roof. She walked out and sat down, enjoying the rare sunlight as she enjoyed her lunch. Halfway through her meal, Haneun got the shock of her life when she eventually noticed a guy staring at her, only inches away from her face. Haneun screamed and scrambled away, going up against the wall.

Xero let out a yawn and scratched his head, looking at Haneun's half-eaten lunch and picked up the spoon, taking a spoonful of rice along with a bit of meat. "No one comes up here," Xero said. "What are you doing here?"

"You're here..."

"Okay...let me correct myself. No one comes up here because this is my place. What are you doing here?"

"I don't seen any signs that say this is your property..."

Xero frowned, looking at her. "I remember you. You're that girl at the fair," he said. Xero sniffed, making Haneun feel a little uncomfortable but he didn't stop. "You really do smell weird...just what are you?"

"I would prefer if you stayed away from me and stop sniffing me," Haneun frowned. "You people keep telling me that I smell weird. You're the ones acting weird, pretending to be succubuses and sirens and...chimeras? Chimera is a creature that has four different animal parts, not a teenage guy in high school."

Without warning, Xero suddenly grabbed her elbow and pulled her forward. He held her tightly with one arm to make sure she couldn't move and with his free hand, brushed her hair out of the way and checked the back of her neck. After confirming what he suspected, Xero finally let go of Haneun whose face was bright red as she backed against the wall. 

She stared at Xero, speechlessly before disappearing back into the building. Xero smirked a little to himself and looked at Haneun's abandoned lunch. "Ah, free lunch," he smiled, sitting down and picked up the spoon, eating the rest of the meal. 

Haneun ran down the stairs, her hand on the back of her neck. When she was sure that she was far and safe from Xero, she stopped for a breather, leaning against the wall as she panted softly. Her face went bright red once again when she remembered how Xero basically headlocked her. She also wanted to know why he suddenly wanted to look at the back of her neck. All she had there was a birthmark. But how did Xero know?

She took in a deep breath, deciding to forget the whole ordeal. She pushed off the wall and turned the corner, crashing right into someone. She stepped back, slipping but didn't fall as whoever she crashed into caught her swiftly. Haneun stared into the same pair of red eyes she looked into on her first day just as Hansol stared back into hers.

The two stayed in the same position for quite a while and B-Joo popped out from beside Hansol, watching them closely. He cleared his throat to get their attention but neither of them budged. "Ahem!" B-Joo did it louder and Hansol turned his head slowly, looking at his friend who only smiled back. "Missy, you really do have a habit of bumping into our Hansol. Is this what they call fate?"

Realising that Hansol was still holding her, Haneun quickly pulled away. "Sorry..." she muttered. "I um...I should get going. Suni's probably worried about me."

"Kim Suni?" B-Joo asked, smiling. "She's a cute little thing, isn't she? So bubbly."

"Take your talk about girls somewhere else," Hansol stated coldly and looked at Haneun. "What's your name?"

"M-me? L-Lee Haneun..."

Hansol looked surprise for just a moment before returning to his stoic expression.

"Oh, Haneun..." B-Joo grinned and placed an arm around Hansol's shoulders. "Our Hansol is really interested in you! It's the first time he's ever asked for anyone's name. Between you and I, I think he's trying to ask you out."

Hansol elbowed B-Joo in the stomach but his bright friend blocked his elbow, smiling brightly at him. "I um..." Haneun mumbled, staring at them. "I should really get going...Suni's going to freak out now."

As Haneun turned around, her hair flipped and sent a scent in Hansol's direction. Hansol frowned and caught her wrist, pulling her close, sniffing her hair. "This is Xero's scent," he said. He made Haneun look at him, gripping her wrist tightly, almost breaking it. "What were you doing with Xero?"

Haneun winced, trying to free her wrist but only made it worse. B-Joo, realising the situation, placed his hand on Hansol's shoulder, calming his friend down. "Hey, hey, she's just a girl," he said. "Come on, Hansol, calm down and let go of her. You're hurting her."

Hansol's expression softened and he slowly let go of Haneun's wrist. As soon as she was free, Haneun took the chance and dashed off. Hansol stared after her and B-Joo sighed, shaking his head. At the same time, Xero came strolling down the stairs, whistling to himself. Hansol, with quick reflex, grabbed Xero and pushed him against the wall, choking him.

"Touch Haneun again and I will crush your throat, understand?" Hansol threatened.

Not even flinching, Xero managed to remove Hansol's arm from his throat. "Haneun? Lee Haneun? Sorry but I've taken an interest in her."

Hansol raised his fist but he was interrupted by someone. "Interest in who?!" Hansol was pushed aside and Xero was being threatened by a different person this time; a girl. "Who did you say you took an interest in, Shin Jiho?! How dare you even think of cheating on me?!"

"Ssh..." Xero whispered, the girl's hair while smirking a little. "How could I ever cheat on you? I only said it to piss Hansol off," he smirked, taking her hand. "You're the one and only for me, Jaena."

"Mulan! It's Mulan!" she frowned. She gripped Xero's hand tightly and pouted. "Well...if it's to piss Hansol off, I'm fine with it. But if you ever cheat on me, I'll make sure that your head is separated from your body, understand?"

Xero smiled and nodded, walking off with her but not without turning around and stuck his tongue out at Hansol. "Isn't she so cute?"

"Ha," B-Joo chuckled. "They're such a cute couple."

"I don't think so."

"You never think anything is cute," B-Joo stated and followed behind Hansol who headed the opposite way to Xero and Mulan. "Oh, correction, you must be thinking that Haneun-sshi is a lot cuter than Mulan, right? You're wrong," B-Joo grinned. "Kim Suni is cuter than both."

Hansol shot a look at B-Joo who only laughed. "Hey, we have different tastes, okay? Plus, you'll murder me if I said anything about Haneun-sshi. Not that she's my type to begin with."

"You have a type?"

"Oh, joking now, are we?"