Character Builder

Writing Medieval Fantasy: a Modest Guide [Taking Requests]

So now you have a fresh new plot, and a setting. A character would be most helpful, so here are some ideas to help you think of a fresh new character to make the set complete!

A good idea for the first step is thinking of what your character will actually be.

Non-magical

Human-  I shouldn't really have to describe them that much, should I? If there is one trait most humans have in common as a race, it is that they are resourceful.

Dwarves- These guys are short, and value their beards. They are well known for their smiths and their feasts. As a race they are usually level-headed and honour-set. Their race cannot use magic, but the smiths can hammer mage-blessed runes in to metal to make enchanted weaponry or armour.

Elves- These are tall, graceful and elegant, with pointy, slender ears and usually an affinity with a specific element (dark, light, earth etc.)

Horse- This is usually a companion to another main character, as are dogs, cats, birds of prey, and some mythical creatures.

Magical

Before I start my own list, I found a wonderful website with a title of Mythical and Fantasy Creatures. This is a great website, with loads of magical creatures to have a browse through.

Mage- This is a term for a magic-using being recognised by the Kingdom as legit, and are usually human. These are often healers, elemental mages, or architectural (putting magic into objects and creational/welding magic can be used here... the best chandeliers are made using enchanted glass)

Sorcerer- These are the magic-using members of the kingdom which are granted their abilities often because of their race, like certain humanoids, and creatures of human likeness outside and away from settlements.

Dark mage- These are mages recognised as dangerous, like necromancers, those of the dark or spectral element, and idiots who try to summon daemons. Summoning never, ever works- once you rip the veil, it's like saying "I'm all yours" to a daemon, and mages are a prime target. Daemons can actually use their magic through a mage, so an already powerful mage becomes nearly unstoppable.

Witch- Can be that classic swamp witch who lives in a hut making potions all day, or it can be a rogue mage. The first type reminds me of the modern crazy cat lady.

Shape shifter- This is usually something which can change in to one or two other forms, one usually being a human form. Sometimes a skilled shape shifter can change in to more than two other things, but this is uncommon and takes a lot of skill and maybe centuries of practice and study.

Humanoid- This is something which is in the image of a human, but his not human- half human, half _____ usually fits the bill. Some more extreme humanoids are mermaids, angels, nagas, centaurs, fauns and druids/nymphs.

Don't be afraid to use google- type in half human, half _____ and it will usually come up with concept art and a name of species for that certain combo.

Magical creature- This is a broad, broad section. The easiest example is a unicorn, but I would not recommend it as your main character. Other examples may include ghouls, orcs, sea serpents, dragons, phoenix and gryphons.

Were_____ - The Were curse is when once every full moon, the being changes appearance to resemble an animal but keeps its human shape. The most common form is the werewolf.

vampyre- This is an undead creature, which thirsts for blood in order to survive, because they cannot pump any of their own. These are formidable creatures, and are often beautiful and stunning to look at as a device to lure prey to them. As they are in human likeness, this often attracts others of human likeness as their main prey. If the prey is not killed and survives the poison, their heart eventually stops beating and they become undead- a vampyre.

Werepyre- Once every full moon, this cursed being thirsts for blood of its own kind. One of the worst curses, because eventually, the cursed will figure out what they become.

Obviously this is not a comprehensive and complete list of all the things your creature could possibly be, it is simply impossible to create such a list.

Now, with this decided, we go on to the next important thing: The personality. 

Traits and mannerisms 

Your characters cannot be good and bad. They can be good and mislead, or think they are bad but actually find themselves sympathetic. But they cannot be good and evil. It is not possible; though it is possible to be good and do bad things, and to be evil and do good things. Also, no-one is pure good, or pure evil. Every living thing has something called humanity. No matter how evil they may seem, it lies dormant within them, but always ready to strike, and sometimes, that is their greatest enemy. It threatens who they think they are, and the image they have come to represent.

My point is about continuity. Traits must fit, and piece together like a puzzle. Of course, that doesn't mean your character cannot have a deeper personality that takes some tapping in to reveal. But you cannot describe a character as always keeping their cool, being tranquil and kind, and then when someone actually talks to them, you make said character snap. That would come as a shock and negatively unexpected to a reader.

Now, going about deciding the personality of your character is very important. What your character is like will be influenced to some degree on "what" they are, because of characteristics and temperament already associated with them, like humans being resourceful, and elves being graceful and slender. Further traits often reflect on this.

Your character's personality will reflect how they look, what they wear, how they act, their history and their hobbies. For instance, beauty, pride and nobility go well together.

Speaking of history, that is actually more important that people give it credit for- even though other writers usually won't hear it, it gives you a better idea of your character and how they act. Perhaps they were different before a key point in their life? Were they hurt? Did they realize something, change their ways for the better or worse? Sometimes there is an opportunity to reveal some background, and having already thought of a background definitely helps.

Sometimes I find that if someone hasn't thought fully of a background, when they finally think of one, their character acts slightly differently, even if they as the writer don't notice. It subconsciously effects how you make them act.

Status 

Keeping all you've thought of so far in mind, now it's time to pick their current way of life, or their status. This can also be effected by the plot, so make sure their "status" is open for flexibility (their clothing should be flexible according to the rp setting as well).

Here are some different things I could think of, obviously it won't be an entirely comprehensive list;

Rogue, bandit, peasant, druid, worker, merchant, traveller, minstrel, bard, warrior, mage, sorcerer, witch, noble, smith, farmer/villager, "the local" (If your plot has the characters out in some unknown area, a local might be a creature or humanoid who lives there already), exotic (this is similar to traveller; exotic basically allows you to put whatever you want in the plot's setting if they normally wouldn't look as if they belonged there, and just say they are from a different land), assassin, monarch/royal, Guard, servant (can be a barmaid if the rp is first met at a tavern), barbarian, animal keeper

The list looked shorter on paper, haha :-)

Moving on...

Appearance

This often depends on their lifestyle. For a rogue, clothing is very uni and usually involves some kind of leather armour, but with your average villager right up to nobility women wear dresses and men wear... a man's dress code. *shifty eyes*

A warrior might wear armour, the quality and quantity depending on their success and wealth. Often clothes were shades of cream, brown or green, but as wealth increased, so did the amount of dye choices. Nobles had the most choice in the clothing matter, with better quality fabric and colours.

Again with google, don't be afraid of using it! Searching up "medieval dress" or "medieval rogue" can give a good idea if you're not sure. "Medieval fantasy" is a kicker, surprisingly.

With humanoids, you have to consider carefully what they look like. What ratio of human:animal are they? Are they very human, or not very human at all? Do they have a tail, any patches or areas of fur/scales? Is their animal side obvious, or only noticeable when they open their eyes or their mouth? Eye colour, teeth and voice are very important, as are their mannerisms. Humanoids will often have the gut reactions of their animal side but the reasoning of their human side. This leaves a lot of room for experimentation- the person within them might be brave, but they might be merged with a rabbit, who's instinct is to flee when threatened. The person might be kind, or maybe squeamish, and be merged with a predator. The two sides don't have to be harmonious, like human and horse (the centaur; wise).

Think carefully about their appearance, and how you describe them. Characters are often described as if their personality has rubbed off on their features.

Abilities and downfalls

Every character needs a bit of both, a balance between the two. Nobody's perfect, no matter how hard they try. Your character might be good at picking locks, but that in itself is a downfall- the thievery and sneaking around that can result from this. Your character might be helpful or skilled, but have a short temper. They might be a skilled mage, but especially weak to other magic or physical attacks.

Don't go overboard with either talents or disadvantages. A good balance is key.

Equipment

This tends to be different according to your character's lifestyle. A noblewoman might wear jewellery. A thief might have a pocket knife or some lock picks. A rogue might carry a dagger. A warrior would have his sword. A healer might have ointment.

Try not to under equip or over equip.  "The door's locked!" "I have the key!" -that is so frustrating!

Lastly, go ahead and give your new character a cool name! You don't see many "Sir Orton Amagnus" around in modern times, do you?