Promise Ring

Promise Ring

“Why are you so late?” You glared at Hoonmin, your best friend since you were both 6 years old.

“Mian. I had to stop by somewhere.” He was trying to catch his breath as he ran up to you. “I’m sorry sorry sorry.” He said as he pinched your cheeks playfully.

“Stawp!” you smack his hands away; he laughed. ‘Why is he being all cute?’ You blushed at your thought. Even though you were close friends with Hoonmin, you’ve recently started to see him differently.

“Let’s go. I have something to show you.” He offered his arm to you, and you graciously took it. “Jin Ae suggested a good place to see the sun set.

“Oh?” you hid your sad face from him. ‘Jin Ae? Is that the girl you like?’ The two of you kept walking until you came to a small park with a set of swings. Your inner child took over as soon as you saw the swings.

You hear Hoonmin laugh. “Go on!”

You unlinked your arms, ran to a swing, and sat down. He came from behind to start pushing you. You smile as you look up; the sun starting to set leaving a beautiful yellow, red, and purple sky behind. “So beautiful.”

“You think so? Jin Ae said it would be a great place for a date.” He stopped your swing.

Your smile faded, “…Well I guess you guys will have a good time together.”

He stood in front of you now. “Huh?”

You tried to avoid eye contact. “Aren’t you going to bring her here?” You felt a small jab to your heart.

“Why would I do that?” he knelt down and looked up at you.

“Isn’t she the one you like?” your voice was quiet.

He laughed and ruffled your hair, “Silly, she’s my cousin. The one I like is already here.”

“Eh?” you looked around, “Where?”

“Can’t you see? I only look at you.” He stood up and started pushing you again.

Your whole body became still as you processed what he said. He stopped the swing and leaned forward to place a soft kiss on your forehead. Your cheeks became as red as the sun set. “Would you accept me as more than a friend?” Slightly nodding your head, your body began to regain some control.

He breathed a sigh of relief. He took your hand and put something in it. You saw a thin, silver ring shining in the now brightly lit moon.

You gasped, “Hoonmin, why are you-“

“It’s a promise ring. I promise to only look at you.”

You slid the ring on your finger. “Thank you, I will always cherish this ring.”

“Good. Now let’s go watch the Music Bank!”

‘Of course he would.’ You rolled your eyes. “Is Girl’s Generation on tonight?”

“….yeah.”

“Breaking your promise already?”

“No! It’s different!”

You laughed, “Yah yah, its fine. Let’s go. Big Bang is on tonight too!”

“Hey!”

Both of you walked away hand in hand.