Chapter 1

He Wasn't Mine

I've never been the most out-going person that everyone adores. I am more often to be unoticed or forgotten. Usually it doesn't get to me because of my close friends, but it sometimes does get to me. My mind explodes when I do. My insecurities are extreme, my life is definetly not the greatest, but I try to fake smile and move on. Hardly ever is there attention directed towards me. It is like I am invisible. Although, I like to be alone sometimes.

 

My town is not the greatest, largest but for sure, it is not the smallest. The friends we make in our early years usually stick around until graduation where everyone splits up. School is crazy. No one "fits in" and everyone is an outcast out of a group. The school is divided into groups and which ever one you fall into, you are stuck there. This school is a private school for the top people. I live in a poor family and there was no way I would ever be able to afford to go here, luckily, I have the brains and got transferred for free in the beginning of middle school.

 

I met my bestfriend, Yuri and we have been friends for years. We are in this group of 4 guys and 2 girls. We are very close and they are crazy fun to be around but they aren't the brightest people. None of us are really sure how we became friends, it kind of just happened, I guess. We just hang out after school a lot and go out to places.

 

Yuri's house is pretty much my second home. I spend more time there then my own. I would rather be anywhere rather than at home and her parents are coold with me. Staying at Yuri's for days and my parents and brother don't even notice that I was gone. I really am forgotten a lot. Staying in my own home is not healthy at all. My mom is strict. Not the strict most people think of. She will yell at me for the slightest things, but she is a hard-core alcoholic. It doesn't make sense but she will drink and yell at me all the time. When she is drunk is the worst. Then my dad is abusive. He always hits my brother and I for no reason so we usually stay away from home. My brother took the wrong path with the wrong people so he now is a druggy, always comes home smelling like cigarrettes. They all put me into a rough life but I still manage to go on.

 

I woke up today and looked at my phone to see 0 new messages. As I expected. I got up, got dressed, ate, and did my make up. I walk down the hall as quietly as I could so I wouldn't get scolded. I leave out the door, grab my bike and head down to the local market. I noticed Nickhun had already arrived before me. He was moving some boxes. I looked around to see if ajumma was around but I didn't see her.

 

"Nickhun!", I yelled to get his attention. He drops the 3 boxes he was holding and sighs. He looked up and smiles when our eyes meet. I smile back and ran over to help him.

"Aish! Yoona, look what you did!", Nickhun says jokingly.

 

I giggle a bit and left to help ajumma with organizing the market items. I usually help out with Nickhun for an hour in the morning everyday. I check my phone to see that it was already 7:20 AM. I quickly run to the back, grab my stuff and say good bye to ajumma and Nickhun and ran out the door. I hop onto my bike and ride to school.

 

I walked into class slowly. I carefully pulled out my chair and I was about to sit down when I hear the teacher speak.

"Sneaking in late to class, Yoona?"

 

I sigh and nod looking downward to avoid eye contact. After class, I met with Minho and Luhan. We walked to the lunch room and sat down with Yuri, Jo Kwon and Taemin. I turn over at Yuri and she nibbles her food so delicately and cutely while I was taking regular bites. No wonder no falls for me. We are all planning to go skiing next weekend and Yuri brings up partners.

 

"Ooh. We should all have a partner!", Yuri exclaims.

"Like a date?" Taemin chuckles.

"Let's stay as a group... like always." Luhan states.

I tap on Yuri's shoulder then whisper in her ear, "I'll be your partner, unless you and Minho are going together."

"WOW... too big of a secret to share with all of us, huh?", Luhan says.

Yuri whispers back "and you should go with Luhan, you still like him, right?"

 

Immediately my face turns bright red.

 

"Hehe, I'll take that as a yes."

"Mmm... ignoring me too. I see how it is" Luhan says.

"Stop Luhan." I tell him.

"It's fine, I totally understand. I have other people anyways... like Minho"

Minho looks up from his food and says "What" with a full mouth.

Yuri and I laugh. I then repeat myself and say " Luhan, stop. Everyone loves you. We weren't talking about anything important anyway."

"Mhm. Suuuure.", Jo Kwon says sarcastically.

After lunch, the girls and guys usually split. I looked at Yuri and she seemed really happy today so of course I asked what was up.

"Ughh. Minho looked so cute when he was talking with all of that food in his mouth" Yuri says.

"Uhmm... EWW and I thought you were over him...?" I respond.

"Well... I hate that cutie-patootie!"

"You are so complicated... but suuuure. Whatever you say..."

"What about you and Luhan, hmmm?"

"To be honest, I don't really know. It is so unrealistic that we'd ever be together."

"But you two would be so cute!"

"As well as you and Minho"

"I think I am just going to give up on him. He won't ever like me back anyway..."

"Don't give up. Just trust me. Anyways, gotta go, I'll talked to you after school!"

 

I walked through the door and heard a loud "BOO!" out of Taemin's mouth as he jumped in front of me. I jolted. I shrieked. I dropped my books. Taemin starts laughing his off as I get on the floor and start picking up my books.

 

"Meanie", I say to Taemin

"Calm down, it was just a joke", Taemin explains as he tries his best not the laugh.

"I'll get you back..." I chuckle.

 

After school, I meet up with Yuri. Then, we walk to the park to wait for the guys. As soon as we reached the park, we sat on the bench and watched the little kids sled down the big hill by the park. A small smile spreads across my face. We sat for a while and someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned around and...