Prologue

A Thousand Minus One

 

Look at the person on your right. Or the person on your left. If you are alone at the moment, look at yourself. If you have an imaginary friend, you can look at him, too.

Your eyes won't lie. Hopefully, the person you are looking at is alive.  If they are not, I am very sorry.  They are missing out on quite a bit.

Let me fill you in--and any others who are able to listen--about me.

Number one, you should know--or rather I hope you will know--that I am a shutterbug. As in photographer as in a guy who captures moments in life before they slip between the seconds and disappear forever. I live two lives. One behind the camera, and one pretending like I understand. Understand what. What am I trying to understand.

I was born only once but I'm trying to live two lives. It's not hard. I only need to smile when I don't feel like smiling and be angry when I feel like being angry. I'm very talented, you see. At being angry.

Number two. I am the type of person to prefer the truth. But I almost always listen to the lies. Why? Because that's how I protect myself--by knowing what's wrong so I can avoid it. Very clever of me, isn't it? Except I don't always avoid the things that I find wrong. You could call that a personal flaw of mine. I have very few of those, though.

Number three. I believe that life is wonderful. Glorious even. I hope you think so too. Life is magical. I believe in the magic that is life. Magic. Magic is charms that refract off of words breathed by men with lies up their sleeves. Magic is science explained through misapprehension and sneaky twists of the wrist. Life is magic.

And magic is just an illusion.

Life is magic becuase life is trickery and misconception. Life is fantasy and artifice. It's a sly one.

So don't fall for it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oh, wait.

Before you go. There's still something I need to tell you. This is the last of it, I promise.

I have a list. A continuous list of ideas. Ideas about joy and laughter and elation and thrill in love stories that I write anonymously. No one knows I write these stories, but that's the fun in it. You should read it sometime, the list. It's very inspiring.

Just kidding. I do have a list. But it's a list about ways to be dangerous. Ways to be hazardous to yourself and to others. I'll show it to you sometime. It's great.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My name is Do Kyungsoo.

 

Now you know me.