Happy Birthday, Love

Happy Birthday

Listen babe,

I’ll dedicate this song for you.

 

Sunshine did shine brightly that morning. Calm breeze did blow through the tiny space between the window and the wall. She abruptly woke up from her sleep. She rubbed her still-sleepy-eyes while sneakily glanced at the calendar hanging on the wall. Her eyes widened at the realization.

‘February 6th? Damn it’s the day’

She hurriedly got up on her legs and messily made her bed. She then went to the mirror and stared at her reflection, which clearly staring back at her.

‘Ugh, remind me to clean myself and dress properly for tonight’. She then tied her long hair and then went downstairs.

 

A really happy you, who is next to me

I waited for today, your birthday

 

“Argh where did I put those things?”

She fumbled through the kitchen’s cabinet, looking for utensils she needed for the thing she was going to cook—bake to be exact. Flour and egg were already at the kitchen’s counter, along with the sugar and other powdery ingredients. She was really good at baking, he—everyone—admitted that. The only thing she missed at baking was preparing and organizing the things she needed before performing her magic at baking. Usually he would help, but since it was a special occasion, she tried to do everything herself.

“Found it!”, she happily chirped as she pulled the spatula she had been searching for almost half an hour. She wiped her sweat and unsteadily stood up. She looked around and realized what a mess she had been making in her own kitchen.

‘At least it isn’t as bad as flour-throwing-war’, she thought as she slowly gathered the things around her and put those utensils at the place they should had been.

“Let’s start then!”

 

Your smile that looks at me oh

It’s really, really bright

I want to pick those stars for you

 

“AAAAA!!”

She hurriedly put the cake on the counter and at her burnt finger while being jumpy on her legs. She had been stupidly held on the wrong side of the pan and accidentally burnt her own finger. She ran to the sink and let the cold water hit her finger.

She frowned at her reddened finger before she shook her head and glanced at her fresh-from-oven cake.

‘And still I had to decorate it’

She wiped her hand to her apron and slowly walked to the counter. She took the icing she had prepared before and started to decorate it. She made several shapes with the icing, but mostly star-shape. Her eyes twinkling as the plain look of the cake slowly changed into the beautiful one. Her lips curved upward as she diligently decorating the cake.

‘Hope he endures the sweetness of this cake’, she silently prayed as she finished the decoration. She just remembered that he sometimes couldn’t stand sweets, and now to mention that most of the cake was decorated with everything sweet. She shrugged her shoulder and slowly held on the pan, before taking it into the fridge.

‘Screw it, bet it will end up being stuck on my face, to say that it usually ended up being a cake-throwing war’, she thought as she dusted her own hand. ‘He really loved to mess up with my face, and I wonder why….’

She was in deep thought before she realized that she had been staring at the clock. Her eyes again widened at realization.

“I HAVEN’T BOUGHT ANY PRESENT!”, she exclaimed before she finally ran upstairs, leaving the kitchen with its mess. And second after that, sprinkles of shower was heard, along the happy, soft hums of birthday song from the bathroom.

 

Happy birthday to you

My beautiful love

Baby, only for you

Because you’re here, I’m happy

 

She looked through the window display as she walked past the stores. Her eyes did twinkle a bit at those newly arrived things in the store. She had to shook her head everytime she almost put her hand on those shining heels or those sophisticated blouse. To her disappointment, she couldn’t—shouldn’t—buy any of them.

‘No, no, no. I saved up my money for his present, noo stop looking at me please don’t make me buy you’, she thought as if she had a conversation with the brown-suede heels in front of her. Her eyes glittered as she stared longingly at the heels. She didn’t realize that one of the sales promotion girl was standing beside her.

“Is there anything I can help, Miss? Those heels have just arrived this morning by the way”, the sales promotion girl politely greeted her. She was awakened from her imaginary conversation and quickly shook her head to the sales promotion girl.

“N-no, thanks but I’m not attracted at them”, she said. ‘Liar, but what to do…’

“Oh, okay then, are you looking for something else, Miss? I would gladly help you”, the girl smiled. She then deeply thought about what she was going to buy.

After a-not-too-long thought, she finally said, “Where can I find wool scarf here?”

The sales promotion girl smiled and led the way. “This way, Miss”

 

From when I open my eyes till I close them,

I only think of you for the whole day

 

She placed two plates on the table and wiped her hand.

After she finished looking for the present, she hurriedly went back home and cleaned the place until no tiny dust even exist. She then cooked simple dinner for two people—she and him. She hummed softly as she prepared it. She tried her best not to be a disappointment in his special day. It was his birthday, the one and always be special day for him. She couldn’t fail this in any point.

She set the table near the window, where she—they—could stare at the night scenery as much as they wanted. She dusted her hand after placing candles on the table, proudly praised herself. ‘This is going to be a marvelous dinner’

She then stared at the clock. It was 5 pm and the sun slowly slid down from his throne. The sparkle in her eyes slowly drowned in the darkness of her own brown eyes. She then felt something pushing her eyes from the back of her head.

‘What’s wrong with you? C’mon be happy, it’s a special day isn’t it?’

She deeply breathed in before turning on her heels, going back to her room. Another sound of shower was heard. Except this time there were no soft hums singing along from the bathroom.

 

It’s lonely, a night without you

You, who is like the sunshine that shines through the window

You wake me up and make me smile, you’re special, a bit different

 

She tried to smile, while cutting the meat on her plate. She endured the warm feeling on the back of her eyes through the dinner. The sun set already, leaving her in the darkness, accompanied only with soft light of the candle. She did clean herself, and dressed properly for the night. Her white dress did a great job on her, emphasizing every part of her body. She also put light make up on her face. In short, she was beautiful tonight.

Everything was perfect.

Her dress. Her makeup. The food. The neatly-wrapped present.

Everything was perfect.

 

 

Except the reality that the chair in front of her was empty.

 

You, who is more important than anything else in the world

Will you accept my heart that I prepared for you

 

She stopped eating and put aside her food.

She couldn’t stand it anymore.

Those happy expressions she had put from the first time she stared at the calendar this morning had faded. The mask broke down, revealing the real feeling she had through the whole day. Her bright eyes turned dull, and the smile she had was gone.

She blankly stared at the box—the present—in front of her. The urge to let those warm feeling out was pushing her to the edge. She then took her cardigan and the present with her, before going to the fridge. She had prepared a slice of cake and a piece of candle. She then went to the door and closed the door behind her.

In that windy night, she decided to go back to that place.

Where all her memories buried deep down for a whole year.

 

Your smile that looks at me oh

It’s really, really bright

I want to pick those stars for you

 

She sat down on the grassy field, not bothering how it would make her dress dirty. She placed the present next to her and pulled out the cake. She played with the lighter on her hand. Her eyes, which focused on the cake then went to the wide field in front of her.

‘And here I am. Again.’

She then looked up to the dark night sky above her. A great wave of memory then went back to her. The memory of her and him.

She clearly watched herself and him running around this wide field, with fireworks on their hands. They happily ran, laughing happily with their eyes attached to each other.

‘It was New Year’s Eve. You took me here since you didn’t like being in a crowd just to watch those fireworks in the festival’, she thought, more to herself.

Her eyes went to one tree right in front of her. Then the scene changed to her and him decorating that tree with lamps and other decorations. She giggled to herself as she remembered.

‘I remember you accidentally chop the pine tree into two so we end up using that tree for our Christmas’ Eve celebration’

She pulled her legs closer to her, as the wind blew stronger to her. As strong as how the wave of their memory went back to her.

 

Lovey-dovey, sometimes we argue

I think all night about what I should do to the sulking you

Do you know how my heart tightens

because you might hate me?

 

She was in trance. She did leave the reality as she relived the memory inside her. She was smiling through all the wave of the memory. But then every movie had its end, and she met the of their memory.

The one where she stupidly let her ego won over her.

She clearly remembered how harsh her words towards him. She misunderstood him. She accused him being unfaithful to him, when he was the only gift she had, who wouldn’t even see other girls than her.

She remembered how her soft hand left a red mark on his cheeks.

She remembered everything, how that one terrible thing could change the whole utopia she had with him, just in one night.

 

To me, there’s no one else but you. You’re the only one that makes me smile

 

She buried her head on her knees.

She had already opened the present she bought earlier, for a person she cherished the most.

She put on the scarf on her neck, warming herself  in this cold night.

She could imagine how warm his embrace would be. ‘It would be a lot warmer than this scarf though’

She looked up again to the sky, and let the first tear rolled down her cheek.

‘I missed you….’

She did miss him, the person she cherished the most.

To her dismay, that person was already in different world from hers.

 

I can see that you’re different even among a group of many people

Your shining eyes, lips

My heart feels at peace when you’re next to me

 

‘I’m really sorry. I’m sorry for making you hurt…’, she thought as she took the cake to her. She lit up the candle and put it on the cake.

 

I thank God for bringing the beautiful you down here

Please stay like this forever, inside me

 

‘I’m sorry for making you….for being the reason of that accident’, she thought again as another roll of her tears went down to her cheek.

 

I will kiss you baby

 

‘I love you. You’re the reason for everything I did till now’, she took the small slice of cake in her hand, and stretched out her hand to the sky. Her watery eyes looked straight to the dark sky above her.

 

Happy birthday

 

‘Happy birthday, love’, and she blew off the candle.

 

Happy birthday to you

Just like today, forever

 

She let out all of her emotion in one burst. She cried, hard, with her face still facing the sky. The wind got stronger the more she cried. She wiped her endless tear uselessly. She let the wind loosened the scarf on her neck, and slowly the facbric danced along the night wind.

"It's cold here", she said between her sob, as she grabbed the scarf. Instead of tightening it around her, she pulled it off from her neck.

"But still this is a present for you", she continued. She then stood up, steadily on her two legs. She then stretched out her hand again, with the scarf in her hand. She smiled, though tears still rolling down her cheeks.

 

She then let her grip on the scarf off, letting the wind took the scarf to fly along.

 

"Happy birthday, Love. Happy birthday", she whispered.

 

Baby, only for you

We’re going to be together

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE END, sorry, the male character did nothing in the story. So sorry, my angsty mind took over :'

I'll fix this later though, if i had time.

So, it's goodbye then

Have a nice day guys :)