Fin

He's Serious

“Youngjae! I made a lunchbox for you!”

 

Not again. Youngjae thought. He quickly grabs his math book and walks outside the class, ignoring the preview voice that called him before. He jogs a little, knowing well the latter might be chasing after him so he decides to jog in case.

 

“Yoo Youngjae~!”

 

Oh please, go away! Youngjae hoped in his own heart. He just doesn’t want to say it out loud or else the boy will get all excited because Youngjae finally answers him and he’ll be more persistent about giving a lunchbox to Youngjae.

Youngjae puts his book into his locker, quickly and efficiently. He locks it and slightly glancing around, making sure the boy is no longer—

 

“Youngjae!”

 

A voice from Youngjae’s back nearly make him jumped off because of surprised. He sighs. He actually cursed himself for sparing time to glance around than just go away somewhere so the boy can’t find him.

He huffs, rolls his eyes and decides to just ignore the boy anyway. It’s not like he should answer the boy’s calling. He’s doing that every day and Youngjae doesn’t really have to feel bad about it. He means, he just feel annoyed with the presence of that boy. The boy that always chasing after him.

Youngjae barely knows that boy but few years ago, this boy came to him and he said he admires Youngjae for a long time and he said he loves Youngjae so much. Being a not-so-social person, Youngjae didn’t know who he was until the boy told him.

His name was Jung Daehyun. He’s Youngjae’s classmate. They already become a schoolmate from Junior High School and they somehow entered the same High School. Youngjae doesn’t have any idea why this boy liked him just so much.

Well, Youngjae actually doesn’t have any idea about how much but then he just assumes ‘so much’. Looking at how the boy tried to get his attention everyday but always failed, though. And, judging how hard he’ll blush if Youngjae finally decides to answer the boy.

Youngjae doesn’t have any idea and he doesn’t really want to care about it, though. He means, he was only an average school boy. He’s not that smart and not that dumb so teacher barely knows him (You know sometime teacher only knows the smartest and the dumbest). Other than that, he was a member of soccer team but he isn’t popular—different with Yongguk or Jongup which were really popular.

Okay. Maybe Jung Daehyun was just a weird person.

And Youngjae’s thought ended as simple as that.

 

“You rejected Daehyun’s lunchbox again, don’t you?” Yongguk asked Youngjae as the bell rang, signing today’s lessons are all over. He zips his backpack before brings it onto his shoulder.

“Uh yeah?” Youngjae blinked and nodded.

“You really never spared any attention to Jung Daehyun, huh?” Yongguk raised an eyebrow as he looked as his best friend. Of course all the people know about Jung Daehyun. He chases over Youngjae so openly.

“I don’t even think it’s necessary.” Youngjae answered. He doesn’t mean to sounds that cold actually. “He might not be serious.”

“He can’t be not serious,” Yongguk commented. “He chased over you all day.”

“I saw so many people like that. I don’t think he was serious or really in love with me, though. Sure thing he sometimes said it out loud he likes me but yeah, it doesn’t sound real.” Youngjae shrugged.

“You know, actually Jung Daehyun looks cute.” Yongguk said as he starts to walk beside Youngjae toward the school’s gate.

 

Youngjae just hums in response.

 

 

 

Youngjae hears his phone buzzes after he did all of his homework and put it into his bag. He’s kind of thanking his smart older sister who will always help him whenever he can’t do his homework.

“A text message?” Youngjae asked himself as he unlocks the phone. He actually a bit excited about text message since he rarely get one—well, not that rarely, though.

His smile dropped when he sees it was from Jung Daehyun. I shouldn’t be that excited. It should be him, anyway. Youngjae thought. He secretly curses his older sister, Sunhwa, for this. Youngjae knows sometime Daehyun might follow him until his house and shamelessly call his name from outside. Then, there was a time Sunhwa finally bothered to go outside and find that boy. Good thing Sunhwa said to not come just for calling Youngjae’s name because it might bother the neighborhood, but for make it up, Sunhwa gives Daehyun Youngjae’s number.

Youngjae never replied Daehyun’s text. He feels it was unnecessary since he doesn’t like to talk about unnecessary thing. He might be replies just if, Daehyun asked him about what homework or something. But, text that contains pointless greeting and cheesy words won’t be replied by Youngjae.

Youngjae actually feels bad sometime. He just feels annoyed with Daehyun and that’s all. He gets used now since Daehyun already being like this for about three year. He doesn’t really mind about those people who talks about him and Daehyun.

 

He just doesn’t like to talk about unnecessary thing and he thought whatever Daehyun said and do toward him are just unnecessary. He shouldn’t do that. Youngjae knows he doesn’t even serious.

 

 

Youngjae has a soccer practice today.

 

He feels great. He got an A at History exam and he feels great. He finally can show to his older sister that he can get an A.

Youngjae already changed his uniform into a jersey and he’s ready for play. He already do stretching and some shooting and passing training. Now, he should wait for his coach to let him play as well.

He’s sitting by the field, looking intensely at how his friends are playing with the ball. He personally likes it how they bring ball. How they shoot ball and how the goal keepers prevent those ball from making a goal.

He throws his gaze to the other side of field as he sees girls squealing over his teammate—especially, Yongguk and Jongup. They got a lot of fans lately after last tournament.

His eyes locked at a familiar posture’s eyes. Oh, he knows him so well so he knows he better quickly locks his gaze to another thing—and he did that. But late, though.

Jung Daehyun might be quiet now. But, all of you should see when the coach—

 

“Yoo Youngjae, replace with Kim Jongin.”

 

Oh crap. “Yes, coach.” Youngjae waved his hand at Kim Jongin and the latter nodded. He quickly got into the field.

Then, as soon as Youngjae receives a ball…

 

“YOO YOUNGJAE! YOO YOUNGJAE! YOO YOUNGJAE! YOO YOUNGJAE!”

 

Man, he shamelessly shouts like that… Youngjae thought. He decides to just ignore Jung Daehyun and continue with his play. His Daehyun-is-not-here self hypnosis was working, though.

Youngjae passes the ball to Jongup. He quickly runs toward a good spot near the goalpost and Jongup passes back at him. He efficiently shoots before enemy’s team’s member could tackle him or get the ball away.

Oh no it’s goal. Jung Dae—

 

“WOOHOO! DID YOU SEE THAT? MY YOO YOUNGJAE JUST MADE A GOAL! GO YOO YOUNGJAE! I LOVE YOU!”

 

Sheesh. He’s a total idiot. Youngjae sighed at the shameless boy. And, how can he say Youngjae was his. They never really talked to each other before. Youngjae could hear several disgusted whisper but he doesn’t really care though.

 

 

 

A typical break time after those hours of mathematic finally comes.

 

Today again, Daehyun is still trying to give a lunch box to Youngjae and of course, Youngjae won’t accept it. He tries to run somewhere, try to find a good place; where Daehyun can’t find him.

He looks back and doesn’t see any presence of Jung Daehyun. He smirks slightly and sighs, makes his way to the rooftop.

He opens the door that divides the stairs and the rooftop. As soon as he arrives there, he sits somewhere peace and calm.

Finally, a break time without Jung—

 

“Youngjae! I find you!”

 

Oh god damn, a checkmate. Youngjae thought. As Daehyun jogs toward him, Youngjae thought maybe it won’t hurt to answer Daehyun after months he decides to not answer the latter again.

 

“What do you want?” Youngjae finally asked. He can easily see the spark on Daehyun’s eyes.

“Oh, oh, you finally talk to me!” He grinned happily. “I saw you don’t bring any meal and not going to a cafeteria so I guess I should make you a lunchbox! See!” Daehyun opened his lunchbox, showing a kimbap inside it. “And, oh, I already know it you don’t like spicy thing so I don’t put any while cooking! So it will be safe. And of course, I didn’t put any drug! I actually not that good at cooking but this is the best from last night! I tried around fifteen times last night but these tasted better, so I think you don’t need to worry! And you know what, I get improved! Two days ago I should cook twenty times and—”

“Stop.” Youngjae sighed at the boy in front of him. “I said, stop.”

“Stop what?” Daehyun smiled and tilted his head.

“All of this. You don’t need to do all of that to get my attention. I mean, you don’t need to chase after me, shouting at me like crazy, send those pointless texts. You said you like me and I know it. Yeah, you said it. But it sounds stupid. I don’t know, but I just know you’re not even serious. I mean, when people in love, shouldn’t they will be shy in front of their crush or something? But, you’re not. You don’t need to make me a lunchbox anymore, really. And please stop all of this. It’s not even funny.” Youngjae exhaled after he finished. He feels proud of himself he actually said it to Jung Daehyun.

“But, I…” He frowned.

“Daehyun, if I have to be honest, sometime I feel annoyed by you.”

He looks taken aback with that one sentence. He looks down. “I-I-I…” He shook his head quickly before he runs away from Youngjae.

Oh crap. Youngjae cursed himself for being cold.

 

 

Youngjae starts to feel weird.

 

No more Jung Daehyun chases after him. No more Jung Daehyun makes him a lunchbox. No more Jung Daehyun shouts at him while soccer practices.

It feels a bit weird and Youngjae doesn’t know exactly why. Maybe he was getting used with Daehyun around and no him means something wrong.

Peaceful was what he currently wants, right? Without Jung Daehyun around, it means his life starts to become better.

Oh yeah?

It becomes quieter though. But, isn’t that better? Yeah, it’s better. Youngjae smiled slightly as he decides to go to the cafeteria, buying bread and milk.

“Y-Youngjae Oppa,” A random girl appears. She looks like one of Youngjae’s fan. Uh, yeah, Youngjae actually has several fans since he was member of regular soccer team. “I made cookies last night and I wonder if you want to try one? Just one?” she pleaded.

One won’t hurt. Youngjae thought. He smiles and the girl and nods before get one of those cookies and that girl squeals happily all the way.

Youngjae chews the cookie and it wasn’t bad. Tasted slightly too sweet but it tasted okay. His gaze suddenly spots a familiar boy who was looking at him.

Jung Daehyun looks away as soon as Youngjae looks at him. Youngjae can recognize something different is going on him. Usually, this boy will be squeals over him but not anymore.

It’s weird.

Youngjae’s head snapped to Daehyun’s direction again. He just remembered. He accepted a girl’s cookie while he never accepted Daehyun’s lunchbox. Well, it’s already three years going and almost every day Daehyun brings him lunch box.

Does he give up? Youngjae asked himself.

 

Youngjae is walking toward the rooftop at another lunch break time.

He wants to calm himself after two full week thinking about how weird Jung Daehyun becomes. He never received any text message again. Sunhwa noona also said he never saw Daehyun around house lately (usually he’ll be around at least once a week).

When Youngjae opens the door quietly, he hears someone sobbing and when he recognizes it was Daehyun, he decides to be quiet and hear what he rambles about.

 

“Ugh, why did Youngjae accept that girl’s cookie while he never even once accepted my lunch box?” Daehyun groaned slightly. He might think there’s no one there.

“If she still lives in the house she might can teach me more how to cook better so I can, at least, make better meal for Youngjae…” He said, burying his face onto the rail. “Maybe he doesn’t like kimbap…”

Youngjae just standing quietly behind Daehyun. Youngjae actually wonders how in the earth this boy doesn’t recognize he was there. But, it’s a benefit for Youngjae so he could hear the other’s ramble.

“Maybe I’m really an idiot… squealing at him like that…” Daehyun mumbled almost quietly. “But Youngjae is so cool and I can’t help it…” He mumbles again.

Me? Cool? Youngjae raised an eyebrow.

“I just want to get his attention…” Daehyun sighed.

Youngjae sighs quietly as well. That’s it? Just because of that he did all of those idiot things? He just wants me to recognize him?

“Since he asked who I am when I confessed.” Daehyun sighed again. “How dumb I was.”

Youngjae starts to feel bad. He doesn’t know the latter was really serious about him. He thinks type of person who openly does something like that can’t be serious about love.

“Hey,” Youngjae finally opened his mouth.

Daehyun turns his head quickly and widens his eyes in shocked. Maybe he was shocked because the fact Youngjae might heard his ramble. Yeah, Daehyun was the type who likes to blurt out thing to ease himself. “Y-Y-Y-Y….”

“I accidentally heard you, sorry.” Youngjae smiled slightly.

Daehyun looks down and blushed hard. “I d-didn’t expect y-you’ll c-come here s-so I just b-b-blurted out…”

Youngjae sighs. He puts his finger behind Daehyun’s chin before lift it up, so they’re facing each other. “I’m sorry.”

“W-W-W…”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to ignore and being cold. I just, okay, feel annoyed. But I, I don’t mind if you really are serious about liking me. I just thought you weren’t serious so I don’t like it when you come around.” Youngjae said. “I’m sorry.”

“B-b-but you say… I sh-shouldn’t be so openly if I like s-someone… you know I like—no, love you, so much…” Daehyun shyly looks somewhere but Youngjae’s eyes.

“I don’t know someone can be so openly if they like someone.” Youngjae sighs. “I’m sorry.”

Daehyun smiles. It wasn’t the widest smile but Youngjae swears he looks cute smiling like that. “It’s okay. You’ll accept my lunchbox and have lunch with me, right?” He grinned widely.

Youngjae chuckles, “Well, yeah.”

“Really, Really, Really?!” Daehyun grinned happily.

“Yeah. But you know you don’t need to squeal loudly. You can just come to me and ask me to eat with you.” Youngjae chuckled at Daehyun’s cuteness.

“Okay.” Daehyun lowered his volume. “So, umm… do you like me back? Since you asked like that?” Daehyun shyly grinned.

“Uhh, not yet.” Youngjae laughed softly while the other is pouting.

“I’ll keep trying, though.” Daehyun balled his fist and nodded eagerly.

Youngjae ruffles Daehyun’s hair and chuckled. He knows right this boy won’t give up that easy from those three years of rejection and ignore from Youngjae.

“Okay then, Good luck.” Youngjae chuckled.

 

From that day, Youngjae makes a mental note to not ignore Jung Daehyun anymore. 


actually i feel like writing . I mean. I'm not in my writing mood so my brain keeps stopping me from writing but my feels say something else. My top!jae feels are somehow dominating my mind. My brain can't work along with my feels so the ending was just... ? idek. 

i just really in a top!jae mood so yeah. 

i'm sorry. if you read this it might mean you already read the whole story. Thank you.