I Won't Say I'm In Love

Kryptonite

Kryptonite

(n.) the one weakness of an otherwise invulnerable hero(ine)


►Not In Love by Lee Minki

 

Bomi knew she’s in a deep trouble.

 

It’s not a trouble, it’s called falling in love, LOVE, L-O-V—Bomi shoved Eunji’s face aside before her best friend could finish her spelling. Ridiculous, Bomi replied, because, nope, na-ah, nope, just no, Yoon Bomi didn’t do feelings. Especially that damn thing called love.   

 

It’s been months now and it’s not even funny because she experienced a lot of weird things just by seeing him, such as her breath hitched and she felt adrenaline rush and her palms got sweaty and there’s something wrong with her stomach. Butterflies! Eunji yelled and Bomi took a cookie, Never mind, I’m just hungry.

 

Bomi thought he looked good in a sweater, or in a hoodie, and he looked even better in shirt, but honestly Bomi’s favorite would be him wearing a simple tee and a snapback. I like it when my Baby wears beanie, he looks so cute, Eunji piped in and Bomi pinched the bridge of her nose, Can you stop calling him with ‘Baby’? It gave Bomi unwanted and unnecessary images of Baekhyun, Eunji’s boyfriend.

 

It happened suddenly, one day he was just another boy and then the next day he was… someone else, someone that made Bomi felt like she’s strapped in a roller coaster seat every day. Suddenly he had the most perfect smile and Bomi didn’t even want to start talking about his voice because hearing him talked made Bomi nervous for no reason. And then when he laughed Bomi just wanted to run away because laugh was a combination of smile with voice and that’s just deadly.

 

If this was a game, his laugh was like that combo moves that delivered fatal blow and would knock out his opponent, in this case, Bomi.

 

You are so weird. Why do you have to deny that you’re in lov—

 

That’s simple, Bomi cut her off, because I am not.

 

Eunji gave up and walked away, but Bomi could hear her singing that Disney’s song from Hercules

 

Girl you can’t conceal it, we know how you feel and who you’re thinking of…

 

Bomi gritted her teeth, determined to ban Hercules from their next Disney movie marathon.

 

***

 

Bomi liked lunch time. It’s the highlight of her day because she liked food very much. If it’s food, Bomi could declare her feelings to the whole world. That’s how much she liked food.

 

But lately Bomi wasn’t quite sure if lunch time was still the highlight of her day. Because during lunch time she could see him, he could see her, and why he had to be Baekhyun’s friend, why Baekhyun had to be Eunji’s boyfriend, why Eunji had to be her best friend? Those were the questions that floated around Bomi’s head now, as she stared at Baekhyun and his group of friends who just entered the cafeteria, looking for an empty table.

 

She yelped when she accidentally bit her inside cheek while munching and she cursed to herself, even more when she saw Baekhyun and his friends were approaching. Eunji in front of her just chuckled and shook her head in amusement. Bomi wanted to whine, why their school was very loose about their uniform? Now he wore a white tee under his blazer and it’s not fair. She looked down and focused to her lunch.

 

“Hey Pumpkin,” she heard Baekhyun’s voice.

 

Bomi threw a dirty look at her best friend who giggled over the nick name her boyfriend gave her; Jung Eunji didn’t giggle, but gave her Byun Baekhyun and look what happened. Baekhyun sat down beside Eunji, giving her a peck on the cheek before sipping on Eunji’s juice from the same straw.

 

“Seriously, Baek? There are so many empty tables around and you choose to sit here?” a deep voice that seemed to come from the earth’s core grunted and it made Bomi and Eunji looked up to a 184 cm tower called Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun shrugged. “My girl is here.” He opened his mouth when Eunji fed him a spoonful of rice and meat. Eunji asked him if the food was good and Baekhyun nodded cutely, Eunji pinched his cheeks in affection after that. Bomi and Chanyeol made disgusted faces when they saw their best friends being lovey-dovey in front of them.  

 

“This table is not empty, Yoda, you can move your fat and sit at another table,” Bomi remarked at Chanyeol, earning a glare from the tall guy because ears was a sensitive topic for him.

 

“Shut it, Midget, no one wants to sit anywhere near you anyway,” Chanyeol scoffed, ignoring Bomi’s scowl at him because height was a sensitive topic for her, especially when it came from Chanyeol. “Don’t forget my party’s next Saturday and you better be there. Give me something nice for once, Cheapskate.”

 

“That should be my line! Stop giving me snapback just because you want to borrow them later!” Bomi muttered under her breath.

 

There’s a low chuckle from behind Chanyeol, coming from Jongdae. Chanyeol and Bomi’s banter had been a daily activity but for him it’s still entertaining anyway. 

 

Chanyeol snorted and he walked away, carrying his tray with him. He looked over his shoulder to shout at his friends, “Well come on!” he pouted, stomping his left foot when he saw none of his friends were following him.

 

Kyungsoo, who was just stood there quietly all the time, followed Chanyeol first, only nodded curtly at Bomi and Eunji. Jongdae flashed a smile to the girls, “See you at Saturday, then?” Eunji gave him an acknowledgment nod but Bomi just glared at the boy. Anyone who hung around Chanyeol, her sworn enemy from their diapers days, was automatically her enemy. Except Baekhyun, she had to tolerate the boy because he’s Eunji’s boyfriend.

 

Baekhyun sighed and shook his head, “I just want to eat peacefully with my girl and my friends… and my girl’s best friend,” he added when he noticed Bomi’s hostile stare at him. “Bye Sweetie, I’ll see you after school,” he ruffled Eunji’s hair before leaving them.

 

“You two will give me diabetes,” Bomi faked a gag after Baekhyun left them. “Or a nephew, niece, whatever.”

 

Eunji smacked Bomi’s arm for her comment. “Just say that you’re jealous,” Eunji smirked, knowing Bomi too well. She ignored Bomi’s exaggerated shudder. “Have you found a present for Chanyeol? Do you need me to accompany you to the mall?”

 

“I’m good, already wrap it too.” She glanced at the table the boys went and he sat beside Baekhyun and he laughed and Bomi’s stomach made a flip. Even though she couldn’t hear him, she could imagine his voice in her mind and that’s enough. 

 

“I will never understand your relationship with Chanyeol,” Eunji said.

 

Bomi looked back to Eunji and she just scrunched up her nose at her, stuffing with more tonkatsu.

 

She and Chanyeol were childhood friends, or childhood enemies to be exact, because they’re not getting along well. They knew each other since babies, their parents were best friends and they live in the same neighborhood too, they practically grew up together and spent more weekends together more than they wanted to. The two could no longer explain why they’re always at each other’s throats even though the two families still held dinner together at least twice a month, and yeah, they gave each other presents and stuff and basically their relationship was odd.

 

“And stop being stubborn, do something about your crush!” Eunji added, but Bomi just burped as the respond.

 

She would rather die a thousand ways before admitting her feelings, because it’s embarrassing and she’s pretty certain she didn’t want to end up like Eunji; like a hopelessly in love teenage girl, even though it fit her perfectly, from hopeless, in love, and she’s a teenage girl. Nope, she wouldn’t admit to that, like, ever.

 

***

 

Saturday came and it’s already 8.20 PM, Chanyeol would probably throw a fit because she’s late. Bomi was still in her room, now in a most haphazard condition ever with all of her clothes scattered around in the floor – her closet was almost empty. Sure she did already pick something to wear yesterday but suddenly her outfit didn’t make sense and she spent the next hours trying to find something to wear.

 

She wasn’t really sure if he preferred y or cute type, so Bomi settled with both, wearing a fluffy white sweater with fake pearls on the collar and it’s hung low on her waist, if she raised her hand she would flash her tummy and that’s kind of the point. She paired it with blue fitted jeans, knowing perfectly that the jeans flaunted her back and her legs.

 

By the time Bomi finally showed up at Chanyeol’s party at his house – his parents gave him the night for his birthday – she found the birthday boy on the couch in the living room, pouting at nothing with arms crossed on his chest. He wore a red plaid shirt under a black sweater and when his eyes found her walking in, he scowled immediately.

 

“You’re late!” Chanyeol yelled over the loud music and Bomi just rolled her eyes.

 

She shoved the present to him, throwing her to sit beside him and she leaned on his ear to shout, “Happy birthday, you old man! I hope you get bald soon!”

 

Chanyeol squinted his eyes at Bomi but he let the comment go, more interested at the present in his lap. He tore the wrapper impatiently and his eyes widened at his new gray hoodie, because it was the exact hoodie he wanted. Their mothers went shopping together at the mall a couple weeks back, dragging the less than willing teenagers, when Chanyeol spotted the hoodie on a mannequin. He tried on the hoodie but didn’t buy it because his mother wouldn’t buy it for him and he hadn’t enough money. He whined about the hoodie all the way home and Bomi gave him judging look while listening to Outsider through her earphones. He only shut up when Bomi shoved ddukbokki down to his throat, almost literally.

 

“Yah Yoon Bomi!” Chanyeol grabbed Bomi’s head and planted a wet kiss on her cheek, paying no attention to her protest, “I love you!” he laughed and tried the hoodie right on, walking away to find a mirror.

 

Bomi wiped her cheek, what if anyone saw them, that idiot. She looked around the packed living room where people gathered around dancing or talking; Chanyeol was quite popular after all, being in a band. She recognized some people but her clique and Chanyeol’s wasn’t exactly the same. She knew Eunji was somewhere in the house, probably on Baekhyun’s lap, making out and stuff, and Bomi decided to go to the kitchen to find something to drink.

 

The kitchen was, thankfully, less crowded than the living room, maybe because it’s in the back of the house and the music wasn’t really reaching the room. She tried not to look at the corner where a couple flirted with each other, giggling and whispering sweet nothings, instead she had herself a cup of something pink-colored and fruity-smelled when she found a plate of brownies on the kitchen’s counter.

 

She was about to take a bite when someone said behind her, “I won’t eat it if I were you.” The voice was rather deep, although not as deep as Chanyeol’s, and it’s smooth as a melted chocolate. How on earth someone’s voice could resemble a melted chocolate, Bomi had no idea. She turned around and was face to face with Do Kyungsoo, his big eyes staring down at her.   

 

“Whyyy?” Bomi asked, dragging the ‘y’ because she’s hungry and she didn’t really want to listen to his enemy – ‘anyone who hang around Chanyeol’ policy – but then again the boy never talked much so maybe there’s a good reason behind his talk.

 

“Lee Taemin brought it,” Kyungsoo said flatly because that should be enough to explain it all.

 

Bomi’s eyebrows rose and she put down the brownies, carefully wiping her hand to her jeans after. Lee Taemin was a sweet kid but it’s a wide open secret that he’s always high on something. She looked up at Kyungsoo and said, “Thanks.”

 

Kyungsoo shrugged. His shoulders were narrow, but he looked cute like a little boy that went to private school since he’s so preppy, wearing a dark blue vest above a colorful plaid shirt.

 

“Have you seen Eunji?” Bomi decided to ask, sipping her drink. She looked at her drink, deciding that she liked the taste, very much, and she gulped some more.

 

Kyungsoo stared at her for a second before answering, “I believe Chanyeol gave Baekhyun the permission to use the guest room.”

 

“Eeeww!” Bomi frowned. She knew a drunk Eunji was a Eunji, but really, for her to doing it at Chanyeol’s guest room, when that’s the same room Bomi used whenever she slept over because her parents were out of town... She decided to sleep at Chanyeol’s room next time and she would force the boy to take the guest room.

 

Kyungsoo’s lips broke into a smile when he saw Bomi’s face and Bomi noted that the boy was smirking before fully smiling. Somehow it made her frustrated… in a good way.

 

Kyungsoo nudged her arm softly, “You’re hungry?” he continued when Bomi nodded, “Help me bring out the cake for Chanyeol? Should be okay now that you’re here.”

 

They managed to get a couple other guys to help with the cake from his parents because it was big as hell, three layers of chocolate cake, cheese cake, and red velvet and Bomi thought Mrs. Park really spoilt her only son. There’s also another cake in a shape of a guitar and that’s the one with candles for Chanyeol to blow.

 

The crowd stopped dancing and they cheered, pushing Chanyeol into the middle of the room and the boy had the biggest grin on his face when he saw the cakes. He prayed his wish, blown the candle, cut the first cake and yelled, “The first cake is for me, because I am so precious!” The guest just laughed and they swarmed around the cakes, waiting patiently for Kyungsoo to cut the cakes and distributed them.   

 

As much as Bomi loved food and even though she’s starving, she didn’t want to get push around in the crowd or her effort in dressing up would be in vain. She just waited in the side, hoping Kyungsoo would leave her a piece, or two, or possibly three because Bomi loved cakes and she wanted to taste everything.

 

At that time Chanyeol stepped back and stood beside her, handing her the spoon in his hand and gestured her to eat the cakes in his plate.

 

“Oh… The cheese cake is so delicious,” Bomi blinked after her first bite. “Here, try it.”

 

“Really?” Chanyeol bent down to her level and let her feed him. “… Hum, you’re right.”

 

“Did you just the spoon? Gross!” Bomi whined, frowning at the spoon.

 

Chanyeol laughed and ruffled Bomi’s hair, he’s too happy to care about her complain – not only about the spoon, but because Chanyeol made a mess of Bomi’s hair too. 

 

***

 

The music seemed louder now as the night went on and Bomi sat by herself in the corner of the room. She could easily spotted Chanyeol since the boy towered over his guests, he’s dancing with a girl named Kim Ahyoung and Bomi cringed when she saw the way her frienemy danced. She made a mental note to teach him some moves later.

 

“You’re not dancing?”

 

Bomi turned her attention away from Chanyeol to her side, where Kim Jongdae looked at him with his cat-like smile, credit of the way the corner of his lips curved upward.

 

She flipped her long hair to the side, shaking her head. “Naah… Don’t want to steal the spotlight from the birthday boy,” she pointed to Chanyeol in the middle of the room with her chin. Bomi couldn’t tell if the boy was parodying a dance or dancing for real. “What about you?”

 

Jongdae copied her answer, “Naah… Don’t want to steal the spotlight from the birthday boy,” at this point Bomi snorted because she had seen Jongdae danced before and he’s no better at Chanyeol, “I already outshine him on daily basis anyway.”

 

Bomi bit back her laugh because Jongdae was also an enemy and Bomi didn’t want to give him the satisfaction from making her laugh.  

 

“You’re alone?” Jongdae asked again.

 

“Yeah, since your friend decided to my friend upstairs.”

 

The boy laughed and Bomi winced. Jongdae had a pleasantly nasal, aegyo-filled voice.

 

“I’m getting another drink, do you want something?” Jongdae nodded at Bomi’s empty cup.

 

Bomi glanced at her watch and it’s even not 10.00 PM yet, the night was long, she’s all alone, and she’s bored anyway. She looked at Jongdae, “Sure.”

 

***

 

More guests came and Bomi didn’t even recognize the people now, but there’s this exchange student from China, Huang Zitao, he brought some Chinese booze and Jongdae managed to get a glass of it which they shared. Sometimes there were some guys that talked to Jongdae, but the boy stick to Bomi, maybe he felt sorry for her for being alone.

 

They talked and talked and it’s getting late and the upbeat music changed into ier type of songs and they might have too many drinks and somehow they were squeezed in the armchair and Bomi was sitting on Jongdae’s lap and around them people were dancing, nearly grinding to each other and some were making out blatantly. His arm was around her waist and her arm was around his neck and he whispered things and she giggled and before long they were inside one of the bathroom, lips connected.

 

Jongdae’s a great kisser, even Bomi’s blurry mind had to admit, and she whimpered when he left her lips only to move to her neck, kissing and a particular spot. Bomi tugged on Jongdae’s hair when he nibbled her earlobe and the boy groaned in approval, sending chills to Bomi’s spine. She could feel his hand trailed up under her shirt, on the small of her back, and when she shifted she felt something hard poking from the boy’s lower body. Jongdae’s hand circled her jeans’ waistband and he was about to popped the button open, his cold fingers brushed Bomi’s stomach in the process.

 

Suddenly she’s too sober for all of this and she remembered feelings and this was Chanyeol’s bathroom for god’s sake, and she’s not going to do it drunk with Kim Jongdae – her kind of enemy, friend, whatever, but definitely not her boyfriend.

 

Bomi pulled back in the speed of light and Jongdae looked at her, confused. His soft brown locks were a mess and his thin lips looked swollen, he already lost his denim shirt, now wearing only a wrinkled black tee. Jongdae swallowed and his adam’s apple moved and honestly he looked so irresistible, it took a lot of willpower for Bomi to look away.

 

“Sorry,” Bomi whispered, fixing her hair hastily. “Oh God. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry,” she muttered some more, but before Jongdae could respond, Bomi already made her run out of the bathroom and out from Chanyeol’s party.

 

***

 

On Monday, Bomi briefly saw Chanyeol in the morning before classes started and he’s wearing his new hoodie under his blazer. He was talking to Baekhyun and he laughed hysterically, slapping Baekhyun’s arm in the process. Jongdae walked behind the two, wearing a snapback that he pulled down, covering half of his face. He didn’t participate in the conversation. Kyungsoo was nowhere to be seen.

 

Bomi took a different route to her class to avoid the group.

 

During lunch time Bomi dragged Eunji with her to the backyard and even though Eunji complained because it’s cold, she’s her best friend in the end of the day, so she sat with Bomi on the bench outside. Or maybe because Bomi cornered her in guilt trip over leaving her alone at Chanyeol’s party to had some with Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun came, wearing a bright orange beanie and he immediately side-hugged Eunji when he’s settled next to her. “It’s freaking cold! Why you two choose to eat outside?” he asked, snuggling to Eunji’s neck to warm up.

 

Eunji glanced at Bomi and the girl threw daggers with her look. Of course Eunji knew why, but she’d be dead before she could say a word. 

 

“We just need fresh air, Baby,” Eunji said cheerfully, patting Baekhyun’s cheek. “Go inside, you’ll catch a cold.”

 

Baekhyun pouted. “You will catch a cold. Come inside with me.”

 

Before Eunji could reply with more sappy lines, Bomi cut them both, “Yes, yes, don’t mind me here, I will be the one catching a cold and I’ll die alone because I don’t even have cats.” She huffed in annoyance, looking down bitterly at her empty hands while Eunji’s fingers intertwined with Baekhyun’s. Bomi shoved her hands to her pocket.

 

“Do I need to remind you that you’re the one who want to eat outside?”

 

Bomi just shrugged after Eunji’s remark.

 

“Someone’s in a bad mood?” Baekhyun asked and Eunji raised her eyebrows to confirm his suspicion. “Well I know Monday’s , but what’s wrong with everybody? Jongdae was sulking too, he barely talks and it’s weird seeing him down like that, you know he’s always smiling, more than Chanyeol. Oh and speaking of Chanyeol, I think he’s actually looking for you in the cafeteria. He’s usually grumpy after he meets you, but I can’t believe he’s grumpier now that he doesn’t meet you. You two are weird.”

 

Bomi listened silently while Baekhyun complained some more about the weather to Eunji. Eunji told him to go inside but Baekhyun said being with a glum Jongdae and a grumpy Chanyeol was depressing, and Kyungsoo wasn’t there too. When Baekhyun finally sneezed, Bomi turned her head.

 

“Just go and bring your virus with you, Jung,” she said to Eunji. “I don’t want to get infected.”

 

Baekhyun coughed in purpose to his hand and he wiped it at Bomi’s blazer, making Bomi yelped and pushed him. He laughed and Eunji rolled her eyes. Baekhyun left first.

 

“You need to talk to him,” Eunji said before she followed her boyfriend inside.

 

Bomi sniffed.

 

Yoon Bomi didn’t do feelings and she wouldn’t talk to Jongdae. She just needed to avoid him for more or less a year and stopped hanging around Chanyeol and—Yeah that’s not going to happen. Chanyeol would burn down his super precious guitar collection before he let her did that. He needed to annoy her for the rest of their lives.

 

She sighed. Who the hell made out with someone and then left him hanging like that? She’s probably hurt his ego. Or his feelings. Or both. His ego. His feelings. Most definitely both.

 

Bomi buried her face in her palms and groaned, knowing that it would be awkward now between them.

 

She heard the sound of footsteps and raised her head; Kyungsoo was standing nearby with two canned coffee in his hands, watching her, white sweater above his school’s shirt.

 

“Ugh… Yes?” she cocked an eyebrow at the boy. “… Any good reason why you’re standing there, judging me with your huge eyes?”

 

Kyungsoo shrugged and sat beside Bomi, giving her one of the canned coffee.

 

“I don’t drink coffee,” Bomi said, eyeing the drink.

 

“It’s warm.”

 

“Good enough,” Bomi nodded and took it. She rubbed her hands around the can and put the can on her cheeks before opening it.

 

“I saw you,” Kyungsoo started.

 

Bomi wanted to say, ‘Congratulation! Your eyes worked!’ but she decided Kyungsoo didn’t know her enough to handle her iness and besides, her sour mood was not his fault. It’s her fault. Her stupid hormone’s fault.  And that drink’s fault; why it tasted so good that she wanted more and more?

 

But mostly it was Jongdae’s fault because, damn, that tongue should be illegal.

 

“At Chanyeol’s party,” Kyungsoo continued and honestly Bomi was almost forgotten that he’s there, “With Jongdae,” Bomi stiffened, “Making out while trying to find your way to the bathroom. And I think you left the bathroom rather too fast for...,” he didn’t finish his sentence.

 

Bomi buried her face back to her palms, wailing while Kyungsoo just snickered beside her. Why it had to be Kyungsoo that saw them? … Well at least it was Kyungsoo instead of Chanyeol, that would be worse.

 

“Jongdae didn’t do something bad, wasn’t he? Did he force you?”

 

Bomi shook her head, mumbling, “It’s me. I just… got scared.”

 

“Was it your first time?”

 

Bomi stared confusedly at Kyungsoo because this was actually the longest time they were together in almost two years she knew him since he’s became Chanyeol’s friend and this was probably the longest conversation they ever had, and Kyungsoo had to ask about her activities. But Kyungsoo just stared back at her, seemingly serious, and now he even tilted his head and Bomi thought he could get away with anything with that.

 

“… no.” Bomi looked down into her shoes, remembering her first time, right before high school. It was awkward and they were both clueless and it was fully experimental but she would never forget that day.

 

“Then what happened?”

 

“Are you serious?!” Bomi finally yelled. Out of all people, she had to discuss these things with Do Kyungsoo?

 

Kyungsoo chuckled lightly. “Jongdae is my friend and I can tell he’s pretty bummed.” Bomi stopped moving around when she heard that. “I’m really curious.”

 

Bomi frowned at Kyungsoo’s reason but didn’t say anything about it. Instead, she answered the boy. “It’s just… It didn’t feel right, we’re not in a relationship, and he’s Chanyeol’s friend, and I don’t want to have a drunk one night stand… on top of that, with Chanyeol’s friend, which I will see every day until we graduate, and we were at Chanyeol’s bathroom, it’s cold there, it’s hard, I don’t want to do it there, and…”

 

 “And he’s Chanyeol’s friend,” Kyungsoo finished for her. “That’s another thing I’m curious about. Your relationship with Chanyeol.”

 

“We’re just two kids that are forced into friends but it doesn’t come out very well, yet we’re obligated to be civil around each other because our parents plan to be friends forever,” Bomi explained in a bored tone, uninterested with the topic. But then again it’s a better topic than her ual activities.

 

“Are you sure you two are just… whatever it was you just told me?”

 

“Why is it matter anyway, my relationship with Chanyeol?” Bomi kicked the air childishly. She’s been whatever-it-was with Chanyeol for her whole life, why suddenly people asking around about it now.

 

“Just curious.”

 

Bomi scoffed. “You’re curious about a lot of things.”

 

“I am,” Kyungsoo admitted. They were quiet for a while before Kyungsoo abruptly stood up. “We should get in now, the break’s almost over.”

 

“You go, I’m skipping class. For the rest of my life,” Bomi said flatly, but Kyungsoo managed to pull her arm and dragged her into the school’s building.