Freedom

Freedom

There was always a certain feeling that settled in Choi Minho’s head and gut whenever he didn’t get enough sleep; a sort of cocktail of exhaustion and irritation and nausea, which is exactly what he felt when his phone vibrated, waking him from a dream he was liking but instantly forgot upon opening his eyes.

 

Jonghyun-hyung ( ˘ ³˘)♥

Text Message

Hey. You awake?

 

Minho probably would have been concerned about when Jonghyun had stolen his phone to add that silly emoticon and what else he had changed, if not for the near-stupor he was in.

 

Am now. What's up?

 

Jonghyun-hyung ( ˘ ³˘)♥

New Message

Nothing. Can I come over?

 

Minho blinked at the screen of his phone a few times. In all the years he'd known Jonghyun, he'd never asked to come to his house. He just sort of showed up unannounced before striding in, already talking about something his sister said or some weird thought he'd had the day before.

Then again, that was usually after school or Saturday mornings, when Minho didn't care very much. It was half past midnight this time, and his answer was the same as if he'd asked at a decent time.

 

Sure.

 

He thought he could get a few more minutes of sleep before Jonghyun started throwing rocks at his window, but his phone vibrated with a final message just after he put it back on his desk.

 

Jonghyun-hyung ( ˘ ³˘)♥

New Message

Good. I'm outside.

 

He couldn't hold back a quiet sigh despite the smile that spread over his face as he dropped his head on his pillow for a few seconds. He kicked off his blankets and shuffled over to the other side of his bedroom

“Come on, it’s freezing out here,” Jonghyun whispered, shifting back from one foot to the other as Minho removed the outer screen of his window. He would have replied with a snarky comment about how Jonghyun shouldn’t have walked to his house in a t-shirt at night, but he was more concerned about why he’d done it, so he worked a little faster, trying not to make too much noise.

Minho sat at the edge of the bed and rubbed at his eyes while Jonghyun clambered into his room, muttering something about it being easier when they were kids.

“Why’re you so quiet today?” Jonghyun asked when he had seated himself beside Minho on the bed, shoving at him in order to get answers. “I expected some joke about how I haven’t grown since I was in fifth grade.”

“Because it’s almost one in the morning and my parents are asleep but brother probably isn’t and I’m thinking about why you decided to come over now.” Minho pulled his legs up on the mattress and against his chest. “Go ahead; I’m listening.”

"Maybe I just really wanted to kiss you," Jonghyun grinned at him, but Minho saw something in his eyes that gave the impression he wasn't being completely truthful.

"That's not it and if it was, it could have waited until tomorrow," Minho said bluntly, but when Jonghyun looked a little more hurt that he should have, he scooted closer and pecked his lips softly. "Tell me the truth."

Jonghyun sniffed, carding a hand through his hair before shrugging nonchalantly and looking anywhere but at Minho’s face. He could just barely make out the features of Jonghyun’s face in the darkness, but he looked sort of worried; his eyebrows coming together and his lips pressed tightly together up until he spoke.

“I...ran away for a little,” he mumbled under his breath.

Minho blinked at him, eyes going wide. “What happened?”

“My tattoo.”

“You mean your parents found it?” Minho questioned, leaning forward slightly in anxious interest. His eyes instinctively flicked to Jonghyun’s hip, where he knew a treble clef hardly the length of his index finger was kept hidden by his t-shirts and jeans. He'd gotten it as a birthday present to himself almost two years ago, and the only reason Minho knew was because he came with him to the parlour and helped him decide on the thing since he walked in having no clue what he was doing.

“No...well, sort of,” Jonghyun mumbled, a hand coming up to rub at his neck nervously. "Not this one." He pointed to his hip and flinched when Minho gave him an appalled look. “I, uh, got another one.”

Minho opened his mouth to say something, perhaps along the lines of when did you get away from me long enough to do that or who did you find other than Minseok to drive you but mostly why the hell didn't you tell me before?

He didn't get to say anything, since Jonghyun held up a hand to stop him and turned around to sit crossed-legged with his back to Minho. He was about to ask what in the world Jonghyun was doing before he tugged on the collar of his shirt until his his back was bare.

Minho was taken by surprise for a moment in confusion, and then another by what he saw painted over Jonghyun skin.

Minho always thought he was an angel of some sort; what with his big smiles and sparkly eyes and sweet personality despite how much trouble he was usually in, and he guessed Jonghyun thought the same of himself, judging by what his newest tattoo was.

A pair of white angel wings over the backs of his shoulders, and Minho was in awe of how real they looked. The space between the wings was occupied with a word in a font that almost looked like it wasn’t in English; something that Jonghyun would kill for, something he never seemed to have enough of.

"Freedom," Minho read, the word falling from his lips in a whisper. He saw Jonghyun nod slowly before tilting his head back to look at the ceiling, the tips of his hair almost reaching the ink.

"When did you get this?" Minho reached forward, the tips of his fingers ghosting over the marked flesh, taking note that it was healed, and probably had been for a while.

"A couple months ago, I think," Jonghyun replied, hand returning to his hair.

Minho let out a breath, tracing over each of the letters. He was at the o when he spoke again. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because it doesn't matter." Jonghyun paused for a second, then made a move to put his shirt back on.

Minho stopped him, claiming he wasn’t finished looking, and Jonghyun groaned quietly in slight irritation, telling him that he wasn’t looking, he was touching.

“It’s pretty, hyung,” Minho murmured, ignoring his complains and continuing running light touches over Jonghyun’s shoulders. “That matters.” He wouldn’t admit it, Minho was sure, but he knew Jonghyun appreciated his touching. He always did.

“It also matters that you designed it.” He nibbled on his lower lip when Jonghyun stiffen slightly. “I saw it in your notebook once,” he explained, wondering if he’d crossed some sort of line. “I’m sorry.”

"When did you see it?" Jonghyun asked, and Minho was relieved to hear he sounded more intrigued than upset.

"A while ago," Minho hummed. "It's different though. The font is."

"I guess it was one of the first drafts, then."

Minho was about to ask how many times he'd redone it before Jonghyun shivered.

"Are you done yet?" he muttered, slouching. "Can I put my clothes back on?"

“Yeah...just wait a second…” Minho mumbled, right before pressing his lips to the wing on his right shoulder. “There; I’m good.”

Jonghyun shook his head with a grin on his face, turning around a bit to ruffle Minho's hair fondly.

"You're cute," he said as he put his shirt back on. "You know that?"

"I would hope so." Minho crossed his arms and sent a pout in Jonghyun's direction and smiling at his quiet laughter. He moved backwards until his head was on his pillow and covered himself with his blanket, and was about to shut his eyes when he noticed Jonghyun was just staring at him.

"Are you gonna sit there 'til dawn or are you gonna come over here and sleep for a little?"

"Your bed's too small."

"You're just smaller than you think you are, now come here," Minho ordered, scooting to the side as much as possible and motioning for him to lay down beside him. He did–eventually, after grumbling over how he wasn't tiny, even though Minho never said that.

As he was getting comfortable however...

"No, wait, hold on a second."

Minho thought that maybe Jonghyun was right.

"I'm gonna fall off."

Jonghyun gave him a wide-eyed look. "I ing told you."

Minho just barely held back a fit of giggles with his palm over his mouth. “Just shut up, okay?” he managed to snicker as he shifted both of them around. No words were said, just quiet giggles until Jonghyun was on top of Minho with his head on his chest.

“You should get one,” he mumbled into Minho’s neck, his voice thick with sleep. “A tattoo I mean.”

Minho chuckled, running a hand through Jonghyun’s hair. “Yeah, and you can come to my funeral when my parents find out.”

He meant it, but he couldn’t deny his attraction to the idea; of him doing such a reckless thing, being found out then walking out just like Jonghyun.

His dreams for the rest of the night involved music notes and wings, and the smell of Jonghyun’s hair and the soothing sound of his even breathing.

 

A/N: No plot ahahahhaah you guys~~~ And also Jjong’s tattoo was designed by me but the sketch was actually drawn to a friend of mine, back when we were writing a book series together a few years ago I really hope she doesn’t mind asdfghjkl I JUST WITH TATTOOS AND THIS WAS THE FIRST THING THAT CAME TO MIND