GRi: The Interview

Living Magically

Author's note: I figured that I could mark the gri chapters for easier access later. I'm working on the other requests too, just had to take a bit of a break. Please enjoy~!

 


 

He taps a finger against the chair’s armrest.

The problem with giving these interviews is that Jiyong has never liked doing it. Yes, of course he knows the power of the press, it’s a very versatile and useful tool if you know how to use it and being a pureblood that was one of the things he was made aware since his childhood. But that doesn’t mean he enjoys it and wizarding interviewers in particular are a very painful thorn in his side so he always needs a special kind of patience to deal with them.

They’re far more dangerous and far more bloodthirsty than most of the beasts they read about or came across in Care of Magical Creatures class. There is nothing they won’t poke and prod at, especially if you mention it’s private, there are no words they won’t twist and distort to cause a ruckus. They’ll paint you as either a hero or a villain at any given time but there is no in-between, you’re a figure to be twisted and sell issues, never a person.

His fingers keep up their steady rhythm against the comfortable armrest, something he’s heard once years ago, old and half-forgotten. On the one hand he takes his work seriously, which means fulfilling his obligations, so he does have to be there and be patient, but on the other Jiyong had always disliked waiting for others because that was time better spent working. The compulsive need to be doing something, preferable something interesting, has been part of him since forever – which had caused his father no small amount of grief during his childhood.

“Mr. Kwon?” his gaze lifts from an old issue of Witch Weekly to settle on the person calling his name. The guy’s half hidden behind a door, poking his head out and waving in his direction, signaling for him to come. Jiyong assumes this to be the reporter and rises from the chair, taking a second to straighten out his hair and making a mental note to experiment with it some more later.

The office is small but not cramped. Everything is neatly organized, as far as he can see, and that’s honestly a bit surprising given the wizards’ tendency to be disorganized. A simple accio spell will get you whatever you need anyway. Wizarding reporters also seem to look as if they’ve just gotten out of bed, something he’s always attributed to being overworked, but this one is dressed not only neatly but stylishly, too.

It’s quite the surprise. Jiyong doesn’t let it show however and merely raises a brow. The other man catches his seemingly appraising look and smiles, the corner of his mouth twisted into more of a grin as he gesture for both of them to sit down and moves behind the desk, straightening a couple of things out before taking a seat himself. “I’m Seungri and I’ll be interviewing you today. Please make yourself comfortable, Mr. Kwon.”

The Ravenclaw does so, crossing one of his legs over the other in the plush chair – honestly the most comfortable looking piece of furniture in the small space. Seungri looks young, younger than him at least, but his every mannerism makes him come across as a professional which goes against the mutterings Jiyong has heard about him. Admittedly from people the pureblood himself doesn’t care for very much, steeped into tradition as they are.

“Will you consent to me using a self-writing quill?”

His eyes narrow slightly at the question. Enchanted quills are very popular nowadays because it’s a lot easier than trying to get down everything someone says quickly yourself but Jiyong doesn’t trust reporters. There’s a difference between a self-writing quill, which merely writes down everything you say, and a quick-quotes quill which embellishes every single world for sensationalism until the entire thing sounds like a terrible novel. The press absolutely loves the latter ones, of course.

“As long as I am able to observe and have veto power over the contents of the article to be published,” his voice is cold but Seungri gives no indication of being affected, merely nods his head and gets both the parchment and quill ready.

“Of course. If you’d like to test it now?”

Oh, that’s new. Usually they get flustered and terribly nervous when Jiyong puts his barriers up, especially if they’re trying to trick him. This is the first time any member of the press has offered to let him just see the quill’s work up front like that and he doesn’t know if that makes him feel more or less suspicious. Either way the proposition itself is bold, making him vaguely wonder if the man sitting across from him used to belong to Gryffindor.

He starts off with an introduction that isn’t necessary and won’t feature in the published article, listing off his name and age and several of his titles. His eyes follow the writing instrument carefully as it sails across the parchment but the words written down are the ones that come out of his own mouth, no more and no less. Seeing that puts him a little more at ease and his shoulders relax slightly. Huh, Jiyong thinks, an honest reporter. Perhaps next week he’ll find a docile dragon.

“You’ve been working with the Weird Sisters…”

Most of the questions are things he expected, about his work and the waves he’s been making lately in the wizarding music scene. Things he actually wants to be asked about instead of having to deflect sneaky questions about his personal life or about his parents that have nothing to do with the interview. He doesn’t relax completely but it’s a pleasant change from what he’s used to dealing with.

“How did you manage to keep their unique sound while branching to new music?”

“Whenever you create something, it’s important to put part of your soul in it, leave your mark on it, make it yours. Once you know what that mark is, once you get the essence of what characterizes your work, not matter what it is, you can experiment with several things and give them your own twist. The Weird Sisters have a good grasp of what makes their music unique which made things much easier.”

There’s a brief moment of silence between them as the quill scribbles away and his words seem to sink in. Seungri opens his mouth for a follow up question but then closes it, tilting his head to the right, seemingly considering something. Jiyong tenses up, becoming slightly apprehensive, wondering if this is where the personal questions that have nothing to do with anything will begin.

“You know,” the interviewer casually remarks, that hint of a grin returning, his eyes shining with a mischievous glint. “You passed up a perfectly good opportunity to just say magic.”

A beat. Two. Three and the corners of his own lips twitch up, a hand reflexively coming up to hide his forming smile. Not because of the joke, not that was a terrible joke really, but because of the way Seungri had said it, at ease and confident and with a hint of fake outrage, as if passing up on such a wonderful opportunity was a sin. It’s the first breach of professionalism between them and Jiyong finds himself briefly wondering how the other man behaves outside of this office.

The interviewer does finally break into a grin at Jiyong’s poor attempt at disguising his smile and the way the pureblood coughs into his hand afterwards. Something shifts in the air between them, making the both men more comfortable. It doesn’t even really feel like much of an interview afterwards as their words become more casual and neither of them holds themselves quite so stiffly as before, even if the questions remain focused on his work and nothing else.

“How did you get the inspiration to try something like this?”

Jiyong hesitates. There’s that dreadful question again. Up to now he’s been able to deflect it or make up some very vague non-answers that weren’t actually lies. It’s not that he’s ashamed of admitting he’s taken inspiration from muggle music, far from it, even if the pureblood is all too aware of how much of a storm that admission would generate. It’s that he doesn’t want to get his one friend responsible for showing it to him caught in the middle of that mess.

“I mean, it sounds a terrible lot like muggle music but most wizards don’t listen to anything like that.”

The reply forming in his mind halts as the Ravenclaw quickly takes in Seungri’s words and raises an eyebrow. Most people working for the Daily Prophet, while not from noble houses and not even purebloods strictly speaking, had two wizarding parents and were utterly unfamiliar with anything muggle. So the most likely explanation is that the interviewer is either muggleborn or half-blood and he’s a bit startled that the possibility didn’t cross his mind until now.

“… that’s correct. A muggleborn friend of mine exposed me to it.”

Seungri blinks. His gaze moves from the parchment to the man sitting in front of him as his mouth opens and then closes again. He’s clearly thinking, the mischievous glint in his eyes replaced by something sharper and smarter, a lot smarter than Jiyong would have given him credit for. Two of his fingers tap against the table and the quill seems to shudder for a moment before dropping onto the table.

“Off the record. Can you tell me…?”

The question seems to be pure curiosity and the pureblood supposes that if Seungri is familiar with the muggle world then he’s clearly drawn parallels already. Jiyong’s eyes flicker to the quill, still lying on the table, before setting on him again. He doesn’t have to answer and yet he wants to, perhaps because the secrecy itself annoys him. It’s necessary but it shouldn’t be and he’s always had a bit of disregard for traditionalism.

“I had a muggleborn friend during Hogwarts that I met in the music classroom. One summer I went to visit his house and Daesung showed me a lot of muggle music… most of my inspiration came from that single afternoon.”

Seungri blinks again at his reply, very, very slowly. “Daesung? As in, Kang?” one of his hands comes up high above both their heads. “This tall, Hufflepuff, brightest smile in the world?”

“… you know him?”

Neither of them should be surprised, they’ve all went to Hogwarts and it wasn’t so far-fetched to think they know or at least had known each other. And yet, surprised they are, minds shifting with the realization that some part of their live had been the same without them knowing, even if it’s something as simple as a common friend. Jiyong nods and Seungri throws his head back with a bark of laughter that almost startles him.

Even in the previously relaxed questioning the man had still held himself professionally but now he seems a lot more casual. He activates the quill again and asks a few more questions, they go over what will and will not be published but, for the most part, they spend the remaining time talking about their common friend and soon drift to other Hogwarts and school days related topics.

Jiyong had been right, Seungri had been a Gryffindor – and yet, whenever he asks how he met Daesung, the man just grins at him and shrugs with an incredibly suspicious yet trying-to-seem-innocent air. It causes him to genuinely smile, something that hasn’t happened in years with anyone belonging to the press, and makes him even more determined to find out.

Unfortunately their time is limited and they part barely half an hour later, Seungri’s professional manner returning as he bids him goodbye and walks him out of the office. Jiyong smiles and waves, feeling very much amused as he leaves and being unable to pinpoint why exactly. What he does know, however, is that he’s going to ask the Daily Prophet’s chief if the other man could just be assigned all his interviews from now on.