Family Approval

Family Approval

Everyone was rushing all over the KCON backstage to get ready for the show. Some celebrities were being interviewed while others were reviewing their lyrics and choreography. Coordinators were running here and there, in attempt to assure that the idols would appear flawless in the public. Managers were busy working on their phones outside the dressing rooms. This was the first time Henry participated in this event and he really enjoyed it, since it was held in L.A, which automatically meant speaking in English as much as he wanted. Since his debut, Henry had joined many variety and talk shows in China, Taiwan, Korea and even Thailand. He had nothing against it, if not quite the opposite, but he always felt confused at some points of such shows because of the language and culture barrier. It was a total different case here. He was allowed to talk in his first language, which he missed as hell, and everyone understood all he said. He felt so comfortable and finally, felt like being at home.

The only minus point was that he had to go there with no hyung from his group. They could not speak English well, or actually COULD BARELY SPEAK AT ALL, but their cheerful and noisy aura always helped him lighten things up. It was OK though, since he had all the EXO hoobaes and the f(x) girls as his company. To be more honest, only one special girl was enough for him to be satisfied and that girl was luckily included in the list mentioned above already.

He had finished all the dressing and make up and interview and decided to come over to f(x) dressing room, to sneak a look at his girl before the show. They had a duet that night anyways, so Henry could use it as an excuse to have some time alone with her. But when he reached the door, he saw another familiar girl there. She looked quite alike with the younger girl who usually owned his mind, and Henry grinned, greeting Jackie Liu:

“Hey! It has been a long time. How have you been?”

The girl turned around to see him. And Henry was no one strange to Jackie so she cracked a smile:

“Hi, Henry. I’m doing good. Are you looking for Amber?”

“Actually yes, but it seemed that she is still doing with the make up thingy so I would just wait here.”- Henry shrugged.

“You are lucky to have me here to chat with then, aren’t you? That’s your honor. You can thank me later”- Jackie joked.

“I will give you a treat once you come to Korea”- He chuckled.

“You are still able to go out that often? I thought that you don’t dare to do so anymore for the fear of being surrounded by fans”.

Henry scratched his chin: “Why not? I’m still myself. And I am not that popular either”

“No? I thought I saw many international fans got crazy over you on some websites. I’m really glad to see you’ve gone this long”.

“You sound like my mother, you know?”- the male idol laughed, but he felt truly grateful inside. “I have read your tweet sooner. Thank you about that”.

“I have known you for years. It’s the least I can do. I even bought one CD of yours. So my family helped consume two, or more, in case Amber secretly bought more than one without letting me know”.

The boy couldn’t help but smile: “It’s sweet. Have you seen our new MV for "1-4-3"?”

“Of course I did. I will never miss anything featured my little Ambie”. Henry chuckled softly at the nickname. “But mentioning that, why was her part so short, Mr. Director?”- the girl raised an eyebrow.

“I don’t have full power over the video, OK? Blame it on the editor. If I can, I will even let Amber be my leading girl”- Henry sighed.

“She should appear more, since my Ambie is way cooler than you”- Jackie teased.

“You two are seriously sisters, like, no doubt at all. You even say the same”- the violinist pouted. Being adorable is his nature.

---

By then, a group of boys passed by. They all greeted Henry and Jackie cheerfully. The tallest boy gave Henry a Western style brother hug before made an excuse to leave for their performance.

“These EXO guys are all good looking”- Jackie complimented and turned to the boy besides her jokingly: “You look like a kid when compared to some of them”.

Her comment made him cough: “Uhm… actually… I’m older than ALL of them”.

“Seriously?”- Jackie’s eyes widened.

“Yeah. So, it means I look young. A good point, isn’t it?”- His grin grew wilder and his eyes turned into two perfect curves.

---

But then it seemed that something hit his mind, as he opened his eyes slowly and talked to her in an accusing tone of voice: “I heard it earlier. You said at the panel today that you shipped Krisber and Keyber, right? What about Henber? I thought you were at my side”.

Jackie found the jealous Henry quite amusing: “Dream on. I’m not at your side. I’m at Amber’s. I will support anyone who could make her happy”.

“And I don’t?”- He pouted again, unconsciously.

The Taiwanese-born girl couldn’t take it anymore and burst out laughing: “You are one of the candidates, too, Henry. Actually I was about to mention you in the list too, but the crowd screaming their heads off interrupted me”.

“It still means that I only came at the third position”- Gosh, Jackie felt like she was dealing with a kid right now.

“How about you? I heard that someone suggested you should marry an American wife but you don’t show any special reaction”- Jackie pointed out.

“You know that I can’t make it so obvious! I had said that I preferred Taiwanese girl once. What would happen if I said I wanted an American wife as well. We don’t have many Taiwanese American girls around”- Henry protested.

“See? You want to keep secret yourself but expect me to confirm in the public?”- With that, Jackie knew she had already won over the boy in this round.

“Aishhhh, will I ever be the winner against the two of you?”- the maknae of Super Junior M groaned desperately. His hand was about to run through his hair but fortunately stopped half way since he didn’t want to be scolded by his stylist later.

Jackie grinned at the poor boy: “Good luck next time then? Plus, I DID do you a favor later when being asked to choose between Keyber and Henber”.

“By saying that you choose me because of my speaking English and being right here? Not really comforting, I told you”- Henry snorted, being his childish self again.

“OK. I got it. Next time I should just simply say that “Oh, my choice doesn’t really matter since my sister has been dating with a hamster looking guy for quite some time already”. There, you happy?”- Jackie said as she rolled her eyes.

“I just want to know what you would say if they asked you to choose between Henber and Krisber, since Kris speaks English and is being here today, too!”

“Oh, Kris? That cool model-looking boy passed by earlier? He is sooooo charismatic. I thought it would be good seeing him together with Amber too”- Jackie acted as if she was seriously considering the situation. Bullying Henry must be listed as one of the Liu sisters’ mutual hobby because his expression later is often precious.

“Hey!”- Henry whined, as her expectation.

“Ok, ok, boy. I’m just kidding. You are being such a brat. I don’t even know what charm Amber sees in you”- she cracked.

“You must have never seen my live violin performance, right? I can show you”- The music prodigy’s eyes were lighten up confidently.

Jackie just smiled. She remembered the time she asked Amber the same question and then received the exactly similar answer from her little sister. That time Amber’s ears got redden and she said sheepishly: “Perhaps I have a thing for violinist?” Jackie was quite sure that was not the whole case though, since she had never seen Amber paid any special attention to all the orchestra violinists on TV, she even fell asleep some times in the middle of such shows. But Amber was attracted by Henry, that was the truth. She didn’t have anything against that though. Henry was a good boy, adorable, caring, sweet and friendly- nothing to complain really. And the most important thing was his genuine care and feelings for her sister, which was written clearly all over his face whenever he was with Amber. To be honest, Jackie didn’t think she needed to see his glamour as a man. All she knew of the boy was actually enough for her to silently root for their relationship.

Suddenly the crowd outside cheered loudly, signaling the show was about to start. Jackie waved her hand at Henry: “I should go out now or else some bodyguards would mistake me as a creepy stalker fan. Save the performance for later”.

But as Jackie was about to turn away, she remembered something: “Amber is going home tonight. Will you come over?”

“If ever she asked me, I would love to”

“I doubt that”- Jackie smirked. “Just in case, I think I should inform you that I have made all the necessary preparation”

“Preparation?”- The boy blinked in confusion.

“Yes. Although our house doesn’t have the soundproof thingy as your studio does, but don’t worry, it has double walls. And Amber’s room is upstairs while my parents stay downstairs. I won’t be in my room which is next to hers tonight either since I’ve asked my mom to let me spend a night with her. Then, just make yourself at home”- She winked.

Henry blushed when what his girlfriend’s sister was talking about finally dawned on him: “Jackie!”

“Yes, sir? Any complaints?”- Jackie tried to muffle her laugh, which kinda failed.

“No. You’re so cool. Now I know why Amber is cool like that. She technically has a great family”- the Canadian boy grinned, though his cheeks were still slightly red.

“Ok, then I’m off now. Have a good show!”- Jackie headed toward the exit.

---


Henry was left in the quite deserted corridor, as other idols had already gathered at the exit to the stage. Suddenly a pair of arms locked around him. He didn’t need to turn back to see who it was as the familiar sweet scent had already intoxicated him.

He asked and flipped to have a better look at her: “Are you done? What takes you so long? Jackie has just left”.

Amber looked up to him, arms still wrapped around his waist: “Stylist unnie left something somewhere so it takes us longer”

Henry laughed: “That was a really detailed explanation, Am. By the way, you look gorgeous”.

He was being honest as usual. He always found her pretty even without make up, and then when she put make up on, she was more breathtakingly stunning. He loved both these two versions of Amber no matter what.

The younger girl blushed, his gaze melt her like sugar. She bit her lip and finally exclaimed: “I’m going home tonight. Wanna come over?”

And of course, her boyfriend failed to keep the straight face as he grinned at her and nodded.

 

-------------------------

Author's note: The tumblr fic that I mentioned in foreword is actually a rated one, that's why we have this ending, lol.

By the way, I just want to share this with all Henber stans:

Not only blood siblings approve the ship, but also the dino sibling of Amber does, too