Thank You

Breathe Again

“Sometimes I wish you could stop doing that…” said Yuri out of the blue, during lunch one day. 

 

Jessica started, surprised and glanced up from her lunch that she had been nibbling on for some time, only to feel rather self-conscious when she noticed the way the tanner girl was staring at her. Head resting against her knuckle, her eyes were trained intently on her face, sizing her up and peering down at her pensively.

 

“What?” Jessica found herself flushing as she bit at her bottom lip nervously. Yuri was still staring.

 

“Just that…” The Black Pearl trailed off, then gave her shoulders a careless roll. “Sometimes you’ve got that faraway look in your eye,” She explained with a small wistful smile, “like you don’t want to be here at all and you look so sad.”

 

Jessica pursed her lips and averted her eyes, mumbling hesitantly. “Well that may be true on most occasions…” Glancing up and looking Yuri in the eye, ignoring the growing warmth of her cheeks, and continued on in a tiny voice. “I guess being here with you is the only exception.”

 

Yuri smiled.

 

And Jessica was sure it probably lit up the entire universe and blinded her eyes in the process as well.

 

--

 

 

“Sica…” Yuri called out weakly.

 

The fairer brunette was a couple of steps ahead of her and they were currently en route home together. Yes, they had taken to going home together after school. An advancement which Yuri took to rejoicing for the past couple of days.

 

Baby steps.

 

Said girl then whirled around at her and for a short second, Yuri was left very much entranced. The sight of her tousled hair, which formed a halo over her, and the way she arched a brow questioningly at her…

 

She was just simply breathtaking.

 

Such beauty and so little to time marvel.

 

Yuri could feel herself going slightly weak in the knees, her stomach doing several flips and turns. She swallowed and steeled herself.

 

“I’ve got a run coming up soon,” she began, nursing at her bottom lip nervously. “Can you… Would you want to come and watch me?” By the time she had it out of her, she was pretty sure she was red in the face.

 

“Sure, I’ll come.”

 

Yuri’s face instantly lit up. “Really?”

 

Jessica shrugged, grinning. “Yeah, really. When is it anyway?”

 

“It’s in two weeks. On the twenty-second, a couple days before Graduation day for the seniors.”

 

“Hmm, I’ll be definitely keeping that day free of anything except for your run then.”

 

At that point, Yuri was positively sure that she was unable to keep her smile from bursting off from her face.

 

“Oh, which reminds me, our school’s annual cross-country is coming up pretty soon too and since you’re in the track-and-field team and all...”

 

Yuri blinked, raising a brow curiously at the fairer brunette who had her lips pursed and was scuffling with her feet a little, looking rather sheepish.

 

“Can you… train me?”

 

With that light pink flush hinting at her cheeks and the way she nibbled at her bottom lip in that adorable manner of hers, Yuri had half the mind to just pull her into a spine-crushing hug right there and then and kiss her senseless.

 

Then again…

 

Self-control, Yuri-yah. Self-control.

 

“Of course!” She beamed. “Why don’t we start tomorrow?”

 

“T-tomorrow?” Jessica sputtered, sounding incredulous. “But tomorrow’s a Saturday.”

 

Yuri flashed a winning grin. “And so we’ll start off with a morning jog together. If we’re going to build up your stamina, we have to start early.”

 

Jessica sulked—pouted— as they finally came to a halt at the usual junction between their homes.

 

Yes, coincidentally enough, they were apparently living opposite one another, much to their surprise. (Mostly on Jessica’s part, who hadn’t really noticed this fact till that one day they went home together.) However, despite living in such close quarters to one another, their living conditions were rather… different so as to say— Jessica’s luxurious condo and Yuri’s homey little apartment building.

 

“Can’t we do this at a slightly later date that’s not tomorrow?” whined Jessica and Yuri let loose a laugh.

 

“Hey, you’re the one who’s asking me to train you.”

 

Jessica sighed, shoulders sagging in defeat. She waved her off flippantly. “Fine, tomorrow it is.”

 

She paused, turning to look over her shoulder, the corners of her lips tweaking into a playful little smirk that was so very attractive in Yuri’s eyes.

 

“Bye… for now.”

 

Yuri immediately felt her knees buckle under her.

 

“I-I’ll text you the details for tomorrow’s jog.”

 

“Nah, call me. It’s easier to reach me if I’m asleep that way.”

 

“You can’t be serious that you’re that tired, Sica-yah.”

 

“Just call me to be safe. If I don’t pick up on the first couple of rings, do try for at least another four to five more times.”

 

“Har-har, very funny.”

 

Jessica shrugged her shoulders and smiled. Sweetly. And it nearly melted Yuri into a puddle of goo.

 

“See you tomorrow.”

 

“See you,”

 

With one final glance, they parted ways.

 

And Yuri didn’t realize, only until she was back in the confines of her room, that she had the silliest, goofiest grin on the entire time.

 

--

 

Tossing her watch a cursive glance, Yuri kicked at her feet, shifting her weight side to side as she worked her bottom lip under her teeth. All in all, trying her very best to keep the anticipation and excitement, that was bubbling within her, in bay.

 

The consensus they had came up with last night, was to meet up at nine thirty, but here she was at nine-twenty, all geared up and already waiting in the lobby of Jessica’s condo.

 

And boy, was she nervous.

 

She could feel it in the very ends of her toes to the tip of her nose and it was making her all restless and fidgety.

 

Just thinking about Jessica…

 

Picture her coming through the elevator with that beautiful smile on her face in slow-mo, voice sweet as honey as she greeted her good morning.

 

Yuri sighed blissfully, the ends of her lips curling into a lovesick smile.

 

It was almost like they were going out for a date.

 

Except they were not.

 

It was only a morning jog and Yuri had to it up and deal with reality.

 

But even so, it wouldn’t hurt for her to pretend.

 

Right?

 

If Jessica was up for it, they could maybe hang out after their run and get themselves some ice cream or something to cool down a little.

 

Gosh, she couldn’t wait!

 

So caught up in her daydream, Yuri hadn’t noticed the elevator doors sliding open as a fair brunette came scrambling out in a bustle.

 

“Good morning, sorry I’m a little late. Did you wait long?”

 

At the sound of that all-too familiar bell-like voice, Yuri immediately snapped her head up, holding her breath.

 

As soon as her eyes landed on Jessica, her heart had caught in while her breath was knocked out of her at the sight before her.

 

Granted, dressed in a light-blue tank top and tanned capris, with her hair tied up loosely in a high pony-tail, her attire wasn’t exactly that revealing. However still, Yuri was presented with a good eyeful of skin.

 

Slim shoulders. A creamy neck. And god, those razor-sharp killer collarbones…

 

Yuri swallowed, fighting off the warm tingles that were stirring down past her navel.

 

It was only when she noticed that Jessica was staring at her expectantly, that she realized she had not exactly greeted nor answered her question yet.

 

“U-uh, not really.” She managed to say, thankful that her voice didn’t come out as a squeak.

 

She did wait for a good fifteen minutes or so for her, but with all that fantasizing in between, it hadn’t seemed that long.

 

“Good morning to you too, Sica-yah.”

 

A subtle movement behind the brunette caught her attention.

 

“Who’s that you got behind you?”

 

A fond smile immediately flittered across Jessica’s face as she turned to look over her shoulder. “This is my younger sister, Krystal, or simply, Soojung.” She side-stepped and very gently shoved the much smaller figure up front by the small of her back.

 

Upon meeting Yuri’s curious gaze, the much younger girl had let out a yip and quickly scurried behind her older sister, clinging to her arm like a lifeline of some sort.

 

“What’s wrong, Soojungie, you said you wanted to meet her just now.” Jessica laughed, once again trying to usher— pry— her sister forward towards Yuri to no avail.

 

The girl peeked out from behind Jessica, peering meekly at Yuri, who beamed brightly in response.

 

“Hello there, I’m Yuri. It’s nice to meet you.”

 

Krystal seized up immediately, blushing furiously as she burrowed her face into Jessica’s back.

 

“Come on, Soojung-ah. Say hello to Yuri-unnie.”

 

After much coaxing (and a some shoving), the younger girl finally tore away from Jessica’s side as she stood before Yuri.

 

“H-hello,” she stammered, eyes briefly flickering up at Yuri before averting away quickly. Sheepishly.

 

“I’m not sure what’s wrong, but she isn’t usually this shy.” Jessica lightly ruffled her sister’s hair affectionately, grinning. And the tiny act of endearment made Yuri smile.

 

“You’re lucky to have such an adorable little sister. I’ve only got an annoying older brother back home.” Yuri laughed, but she didn’t miss the way the younger girl flushed at that.

 

“Well, she can be annoying some times.”

 

Sis’!” Krystal whined, whipping around at her older sister.

 

I’m just kidding,” Jessica chortled, briefly speaking in English. Fingers lightly cupping the younger girl’s cheek, her eyes softened ever so slightly. “You know how to get back up by yourself right?”  

 

“Of course I do, I’m not an elementary kid anymore,” huffed Krystal, pouting.

 

“Alright then, I’ll see you later.”

 

Jessica bent down for a hug, which Krystal swiftly returned. However, the second she was face-to-face with Yuri, she was back to being shy all over again as she gave her a hasty bow before fleeing for the elevator.

 

“She’s actually a lot like you.”

 

Jessica arched a perfectly thin brow. “Really. So you think I’m adorable too?” she asked, lips arching teasingly at her.

 

Yuri flushed. “Maybe…” She mumbled softly, and then cleared , feeling her cheeks burn in embarrassment. “Shall we head on?” She asked, in her desperate attempt to change to subject. But nonetheless, it didn’t keep Jessica from shooting her that playful, knowing smirk.

 

“Yes, we shall.”

 

 

--

 

 

“You’ve got a really rockin’ body, I’m envious.”

 

Jessica had casually remarked in the midst of their light stretches before their run.

 

Despite the fact that Yuri knew it was said purely in a platonic context, a compliment was still a compliment. And a compliment from a crush… was complete heaven.

 

However, now that she knew that Jessica had been— secretly— checking her out, she couldn’t help but feel a little more self-conscious in her usual tights and body-hugging workout tee.

 

“Well, you’ve got a pretty nice body yourself, for someone who doesn’t workout regularly.” Yuri grinned.

 

And it was the truth.

 

Even without the toned abs and thighs, Jessica still looked great.

 

Well, at least she looked like a goddess in Yuri’s eyes, and that was honestly all that mattered.

 

“Thank you, I’m flattered.” Jessica snorted and rolled her eyes sarcastically, waving her off. She sighed, cracking her neck at each side in a way that meant business. “Let’s get this over and done with. And hopefully, I’ll end up with a body like yours soon.”

 

Yuri laughed, eyes twinkling mirthfully down at the brunette. “Soon,” she nodded, grinning.

 

With a final stretch, they had set off together in a slow and unhurried pace.

 

--

 

Yuri honestly didn’t know which is more attractive at the moment. The ample amount of skin Jessica was showing with that tank top, or said skin, now glistening with droplets of perspiration and flushed with the light afterglow of a decent workout.

 

Watching as Jessica gave her ice-cream cone a good , in euphoric bliss at the coolness and creaminess that overwhelmed her entire being, Yuri had to swallow thickly.

 

“Gosh, the weather is starting to warm up.”

 

Yuri’s eyes followed that one drop of sweat that was slithering down the curve of her neck.

 

“Uh huh,” she replied absently.

 

She wondered if she could her up instead.

 

Whoa, there.

 

Okay, she should probably stop staring. For the sake of not looking like a creep. And for the sake of the hormones that was raging in her.

 

She had to keep herself centered.

 

Needed to.

 

Jessica wasn’t some delicious piece of meat that was meant for her to ogle at like that.

 

No, she wasn’t.

 

She was more than just that.

 

Giving herself a mental shake, she burrowed into her own— melting— ice cream cone and diverted her stare forward. She watched as various park-goers jogged, brisk-walked and cycled past them, too caught up in their own activities to even bother about the two teenagers sitting by the park bench, enjoying some good ole’ ice-cream.

 

 Jessica had done pretty well for the day.

 

They had jogged 3 laps around the circumference of their apartments.

 

A good two-and-a-half-kilometers, Yuri estimated. And that was merely half the distance of the track they were running for cross-country. But good enough, for a first, warm-up run.

 

If they could do this weekly till cross-country… Jessica would definitely have a much easier time completing the run. However, she won’t go as far as to say she would breeze through it.

 

That. Would take a lot more time and training. And couldn’t be accomplished in just a month’s time

 

“A penny for your thought,”

 

Yuri blinked, turning towards the shorter brunette with a smile. “Ah, nothing much. I’m just thinking about cross-country.”

 

Jessica nodded, humming, looking to her musingly. “You won’t be running with the rest of the cohort, right?”

 

“Yeah, track-and-field and all, they usually love making things a lot… challenging for us. We’ll be running a different— harder— track than the rest of you all.”

 

“Harder?” Jessica grimaced and shuddered. “I do not want to think about it. I just hope I don’t puke my guts out after the run.”

 

“If you do, I won’t judge. It’s pretty normal. I still do it time to time.”

 

“Oh? So I guess I’ll catch you puking after your run on the twenty-second?”

 

Yuri blushed, pursing her lips thinly. “I sure hope not. Because then, that would be embarrassing.”

 

Jessica laughed heartily, smacking her playfully on the shoulder. “I won’t judge,” she grinned, winking as tease flashed brilliantly across her eyes.

 

“Sica…” whined Yuri, pouting and the brunette only giggled.

 

“Alright, alright. I’ll stop.” She surrendered, biting back on a grin.

 

And soon, they were surrounded once more in a blanket of comfortable silence.

 

“You know…” Jessica started, and Yuri spun towards her, catching the lack of playfulness and hint of that usual pensive quality to her voice. “I’ve always wanted to thank you.” She said quietly, eyes downcast in that wistful manner Yuri had come to recognize of her.

 

“Whatever for?”

 

Jessica smiled and it was a rueful smile that was filled with much melancholy.

 

There it was again, that distant look in her eyes.

 

“I know. I’m pretty much a wang-dda* at school. I don’t fit in. Talk to me and you’re made a wang-dda as well. Everyone’s either too afraid to risk it, or they just simply hate my guts.”

 

Yuri frowned.

 

Gorgeous brown eyes, all misty and reflecting a sadness like never before. It made Yuri’s chest constrict and heart ache. All she wanted to do was to move in and wipe that doleful expression off her beautiful, beautiful face and replace it with that sweet, lovely smile of hers.

 

“But you,” Jessica had snapped up towards her, eyes burning right into her, sparkling ever so brightly. Her lips curled. “Even though you’re popular and all, you still speak to me— a wang-dda— like everyone else. Choosing to hang out with me and everything… you’ve been nothing but nice to me. I don’t know if you’re doing it out of pity or sympathy, but even so, thank you, Yuri-yah.”

 

“You’re welcome, but please don’t call yourself… that.”

 

Yuri had to fight down a cringe. She didn’t like it. Hearing her refer to herself with such a… term. It made her chest feel all tight and congested. It hurt.

 

She reached out gingerly and gently clasping her hand over Jessica’s. Interlacing their fingers together, she gave her hand a soft, tender squeeze. In hopes that she could take away all her pain.

 

“You are just like everyone else.” Yuri paused, then quickly added in as an afterthought. “In a good way, of course. And I swear I’m not hanging out with you out of pity or anything. I’m hanging out with you because I really want to.”

 

Jessica squeezed at their linked hands and sighed. Glancing up at her, Yuri thought she looked as if she was about to cry despite the smile on her face.

 

“You’re too good to me.” She said, bottom lip quivering. She glanced up at her searchingly. “But why?”

 

“Because you’re you.” Yuri said, without missing a beat. She grinned up at her winningly. “You’re Sooyeon. You’re Jessica. You’re nice, sweet and charming. And I want to be your friend.”

 

Yuri immediately felt a warm sense of satisfaction fill her to the brim at the sight of that beatific smile on Jessica’s face.

 

And when Jessica had pulled her in, into a half-hug— because they were still holding onto their ice-cream cone— she could have sworn her chest had nearly split open from being unable to contain all that warmth.

 

“If you were a guy, I’m sure you’ll have a long trail of girls falling after you.” Jessica jested after pulling away. However, the thought Yuri’s fanclub quickly crossed her mind. “Then again, you kind of already do.”

 

“Nah,” Yuri laughed, eyes twinkling down the shorter brunette.

 

As soon as they broke apart from the hug, Jessica had reached down to entwine their fingers once more, not that she minded or anything. She was just happy to share such physical contact with her.

 

“Well, maybe just a few.”

 

Jessica snorted and slapped her lightheartedly on the back.

 

Meanwhile, Yuri could only grin down at her cheekily, eyes glinting with a sparkle that was indiscernible to Jessica at this point of time.

 

Because honestly, Yuri didn’t need a long trail of girls falling after her.

 

She just needed one.

 

Her.

 

--

A/N: Sorry for not updating for such a long time. But fret not, I've not forgotten about this nor am I abandoning this. So yeah, this whole ostracism thing is actually quite real and it does takes place in some Korean schoolsI've posted some links below about the whole wang-dda/bullying scene in Korea if you're interested to know more. It's just sad, really, to read of such cases in the midst of my research for this story. So yeah, Thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting! :)

 

*왕따 [wang-dda] –noun a Korean word for a person who is, whether by personal choice or not, alone, away from the company of others. Or in another sense, an ostracized individual.

 

http://waegukin.com/bullying-in-korean-schools-and-wangtta.html

http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/bullying-in-south-korea/