Chapter 2

The Pursuit of Free Throws

The dark hallways echoed with cheers.

"Victory is ours!" Taeun announced, swinging her large Nike sports bag over her shoulder. After a heart-pounding moment, the ball fell into the hoop just as the timer went off. The boys had immediately grabbed Taeun and paraded her around the court on their shoulders while the school celebrated. The Daedong team hung their heads in shame, but it had been their captain who howled and threw his hands up in disgrace. Taeun suspected he did not expect a girl like her to score a final point. Typical, since such stupid stereotypes existed in the world.

Her four teammates whooped and high-fived each other. "A promise is a promise, and I, Yoon Taeun, never break promises," she said, turning around to wag her finger at them. "So tonight, you're all invited to my house for - "

"HOT POT TIME!" the boys cheered. "We should probably find Jin hyung and Namjoon too," Hoseok added, mentioning their two other close friends.

"Hey guys!" The Gwangju team heard a voice calling after them and they looked to see Kim Myungsoo of the yearbook class running to them. Myungsoo stopped to catch his breath before holding up a camera. "Mind if we get some photos of the team? The newspaper club would like appreciate it. This will be on the front page of the school's newspaper on Monday. We want everyone to know about the home game victory!"

Yoongi nudged Myungsoo's shoulder and gestured to Taeun. "Don't forget to get a picture of the star," he said. "She was the one who scored the final point. Make sure you get individual shots of her, Myungsoo."

Taeun rolled her eyes. "No need to take an individual pictures of me. I work on teamwork, not on myself."

After a few seconds of shuffling around, the Gwangju basketball team posed for Myungsoo with bright grins on their faces. "Thanks everyone," Myungsoo beamed while he checked the quality of the pictures. "By the way, awesome job tonight! You guys never bring Gwangju down."

He curled his fingers into a fist to make a pumping motion before smiling and waving goodbye. Taehyung and Hoseok shared twin grins, imagining what glorious caption and article the newspaper club would create for the team's victory. Yoongi scrolled through his iPhone messages and impatiently glanced around the empty hallways. "Aish, where are those boys? Namjoon said he and Jin left the court five minutes ago."

As soon as those words left his lips, the five heard footsteps behind them. "Good job on the court today," a soft, familiar voice said.

"Jin oppa!" Taeun called happily, throwing out her arms to hug the tall boy in front of her. Kim Seokjin, affectionately called Jin by friends, smiled warmly and patted her head. As the vice president of the student council, Jin was expected to be there at all sports games to show "school spirit," but he was always willing to attend the basketball game for his best friends. "You didn't fall asleep at the game this time, did you?" Taeun playfully said, recalling when Jin knocked out during a game two weeks ago. She had turned to the bleachers to look for Namjoon and Jin and spotted the latter dozing on a confused Namjoon's shoulder.

"For your information, I was studying for a physics test the night before," Jin defensively answered, but he smiled fondly at the memory.

"And your hard work paid off." The six students swiveled their heads to see Kim Namjoon approaching them holding a plastic bag that smelled suspiciously like strawberry cake, which happened to be Taeun's weakness. For tonight's game, since it was held at school, Namjoon's earrings were off and his dark Ray-ban sunglasses were propped on top of his hair.  Contrary to his appearance, Namjoon was the school's prized student council president as well as a top student in his grade, earning both envy and admiration from his fellow students.

He the plastic bag in Taeun's bag. "Strawberry cake as a reward for the princess," he said.

"Thanks Namjoon!" Taeun happily said. Unlike the other boys, she barely used honorifics for Namjoon since she was close enough to drop them. "We can eat it for dessert at my house."

"Did you guys see Taeun tonight?" Taehyung excitedly exclaimed to the older boys as they pushed through the gym's heavy front doors. "That Daedong captain was like eww I don't like girls they can't play basketball and Taeun was like uh, let me show how it's done. And did you see the last score?! She totally nailed it!"

He pretended to shoot a basket and the others couldn't help but laugh at his silliness. "Yah, that's Captain Taeun to you, Kim Taehyung," Taeun said, reaching over Hoseok to poke the younger boy's head. "But you flatter me," she added with a small smile.

The seven stopped at the school's parking lot and Jin pulled out his car keys. "You take two and I'll take three?" he asked Yoongi, who grunted in reply. Taeun, Taehyung, and Jungkook immediately ran over to Jin's sleek black Lexus and Taeun leapt into the shotgun seat. She fiddled with Jin's speakers before settling into an upbeat hip hop song while the guys clambered into the leather backseats.

"Hey no fair that you got the front seat!" Jungkook piped up. Taeun stuck out her tongue and made a "loser" sign without turning around. 

"Sorry maknae, but ladies first!" she cried as Jin rolled out of the car lot and zipped past Yoongi easily. "Oppa, I'm so sad that you're graduating this year," she said to the driver next to her. "We won't be able to get free rides anymore."

Jin took his left hand off the steering wheel and used it to poke Taeun in the forehead. "Don't worry, young grasshopper. You can get your driver's license in your final year."

Taeun sighed and leaned her head against the window. While she was proud of Jin and Yoongi, the eldest members in their group, for pushing through their final year of high school, she was slightly heartbroken because there would be two absent members in the years to come. It was hard for her to accept the truth, and she didn't welcome new friends so easily. But since it was the middle of the school year, she pushed the thought to the back of her mind and decided to enjoy the present time with her friends.

* * *

"Noona, can I have some more cake?" Jungkook asked.

Taeun waved the plastic cake knife at him disapprovingly. "You already ate two slices!" she cried out.

"But I'm a growing boy! Please?" He held out his plate to Taeun with an adorable smile that could make older girls scream and pinch his cheeks. Jeon Jungkook was a cutie, and he knew it.

Unfortunately for him, Taeun wasn't the aegyo-loving type. She lightly tapped Jungkook's nose and shook her head. "It's not good to overeat, Kookie," she answered. "Go drink milk if you want to grow some more."

The others chuckled as Jungkook pouted and returned to his comfy seat next to Hoseok. After feasting on thinly sliced meat and other delicious hot pot goodies, the seven settled into blankets in Taeun's living room while watching a funny movie. Taeun finished cutting the strawberry cake Namjoon brought into the remaining pieces before going to the kitchen to pass a slice to her father, who was washing dishes. "Here you go," she said, kissing his cheek affectionately. Then she ran back to enjoy her own strawberry cake slice.

Taeun's father gazed at the youngsters and a ghost of a smile flickered onto his face. He was secretly relieved that Taeun had finally found a group that happily accepted her in. Of course, it wasn't easy from the start, with Taeun having to fight her way into the basketball team.

Gwangju High's principal frowned as he played with a fountain pen between his fingers. Coach Yoon stood in front of his desk, having just pitched his idea. Judging from Principal Ahn's reaction, it wasn't received well. "Hyunjae, I understand that she's good, but we simply can't create a female basketball team just for her. We don't have enough money or female players for it."

Coach Yoon folded his arms and stared at Principal Yoon defiantly. "Then have Taeun join the boys' team."

Principal Ahn stared at the basketball coach, perplexed that he brought up such a ridiculous suggestion. He managed a shaky laugh and slammed the fountain pen on the desk. "With all due respect, Hyunjae, it's not going to work. Taeun is a girl and there's no way she's going to join the male basketball team. Even if you are the coach, that doesn't give you the right to always make the decisions. They have to go through me first, the school principal."

"The basketball team has the most losses out of all the sport teams in Gwangju. Don't you always want the basketball team to give Gwangju High some glory? Taeun can bring that, and I' m not saying that because she's my daughter."

As much as Principal Ahn hated to admit it, Coach Yoon was right about the basketball team. Although the players on the basketball team weren't awful, they often pathetically destroyed by other school teams. But he still refused to accept Coach Yoon's suggestion. "A girl on a boys' basketball team? Do you know how absurd that sounds? What will the other schools say about Gwangju?"

"Forget the other schools!" Coach Yoon's voice rang out in annoyance. He and Principal Ahn were both shocked, but Coach Yoon was sick of the superior's reluctance. "This is the 21st century, Principal Ahn. As long as she scores, no one will complain. I won't have her waste her high school years doing nothing. She refuses to play any other sport except for basketball."

Principal Ahn's fingers worked their way through his temples. "Then what do you want?" he asked in a tired tone.

Coach Yoon's eyes drifted to the framed picture of Gwangju's current basketball team hanging above the principal's head. "Pick the best players on the team," he replied, narrowing his eyes challengingly. "Taeun will play against them next week. If she wins, you'll let her join the team with no arguments."

"And if she loses?"

"We'll never speak of this matter again and Taeun will have to find another activity to do."

Coach Yoon shook his head at the memory and turned his attention to the dishes. Meanwhile in the living room, the comedy movie ended and the seven were figuring out what to do next. "What time is it?" Yoongi asked, stifling a yawn as he spoke.

"Time for you to get a watch!" Hoseok joked, and he promptly received a smack on the arm by Yoongi. "Ow! Jeez, it's midnight, hyung."

"I should probably get going," Jin announced, standing up and brushing cake crumbs off his lap. "I have to wake up early tomorrow to start studying for that calculus test next Thursday."

Taeun pouted. "Oppa, I swear you're always studying."

"Well, if I'm going to get into a good university, I have to get good grades," Jin answered. He grabbed his jacket that was hanging from the couch and slipped it on. "It's too late for you guys to take the bus or train back. Does anyone need a ride back home?"

Hoseok, Namjoon, and Jungkook raised their hands. Yoongi sighed and rose from the floor. "Damn it, Jin, you're making me feel like a bad student for not studying. I'm going to head home so I can wake up early too. I can take Jungkook home since he lives closer to me than you." After thanking Coach Yoon for the food and saying goodbye to their friends, the five departed, leaving Taehyung and Taeun in the living room. 

"Can I stay over tonight?" Taehyung asked, placing his hands under his chin to form a V line. "I know I live next door, but my parents aren't gonna be home tonight and you wouldn't want this cute face sleeping all alone in his dark, scary house, right?"

Taeun scoffed. "We live in an apartment, Taehyung, it's not like something scary is gonna pop out of those tiny hallways." But she gestured him to follow her into her room. It was not unusual for the boys to sleep over at Taeun's, so she always kept extra pillows and blankets in her closet. Once they were in Taeun's room, she threw a soft blanket on the floor before grabbing more blankets to make a little bed for Taehyung.

While she was doing this, Taehyung glanced around her room. Like most girls, Taeun kept her room organized and tidy. Several basketball trophies lined the top of her bookshelf and posters of famous basketball players, along with an occasional pop star, were plastered on the walls. Taehyung looked at her desk and smiled when he saw the first thing on it, which was a photo of the Gwangju Griffins from last year. Taeun stood in the middle of the photo, smiling brightly while she held a trophy in her hands. Gwangju Griffins had just won their first basketball game in three years when the photo was taken. 

"Taeun, I know I say this all the time...but I'm really glad you made it into the basketball team," Taehyung said softly, putting the photo frame back on her desk.

Her eyes drifted to where he was looking and softened when she saw the photo. "Me too."

Taeun stood triumphantly in the center of the basketball court, having beaten the basketball players Principal Ahn thought were worthy of playing against her. The said individual gawked at her, as he was in disbelief at her talent. Coach Yoon stood next to him with a small smirk on his face. As he expected, his daughter was able to prove herself to the principal and the other boys on the team. But not everyone was impressed with Taeun. While Hoseok and Yoongi grinned at her, the others glared, angry that they were defeated by a girl. 

"Well?" Taeun asked. She inhaled deeply to catch her breath and used the back of her hand to wipe sweat from her forehead. It had been a long two hours. First, Taeun had to single-handedly play against the team. Afterwards, she went against each player to test their individual skills. For some, it might have seemed unfair that she had to play by herself against five boys, but Taeun liked the challenge. "Am I on the team, Principal Ahn?"

The principal blinked and took off his glasses. "You put on a good show on the court today," he responded. "Your skills even surpass the players in the room. Your father was right about you. And because of this, Taeun, I warmly welcome you to the Gwangju Griffins!"

Coach Yoon began clapping loudly, and some of the boys joined in with the applause. Taehyung rushed to Taeun and engulfed her in a bear hug, followed by Hoseok and Yoongi. As Taeun was sandwiched between the boys, a proud smile spread across her face. She finally did it. She was the first girl to make it on the all boys basketball team.

 


 

Dang, three years after I started this fic I found the inspiration to continue lol. Let's hope I don't lose my inspiration again xD