Titles

The Do's And Don'ts | a writing guide

You voted for potatoes, and now I hate you. (Just kidding) But no, I’m not gonna talk about potatoes you trolls. Do you like the chapter title? It’s very creative, right? (no) Okay, so let’s start or else I’ll talk until the end of the chapter.

The first thing that the readers see when searching for stories are the title, tags, characters, stats and an excerpt from the description of the said story. But among them, there is one thing that’s blue and big and screams ‘read me es!’ and that is none other than the title.

Titles are really important. They catch the reader’s attention, and readers try to predict what the story is about when they read the title. With that said, you have to make an effort in making your title as eye catching and as original as possible.

I know good titles don’t just come to you the first time you think of one, and it’s a big hassle to think of one, but if you really want your story to get recognized, you wouldn’t mind spending 1234567890 hours just to think of one. It’s all about the effort you put into your story. If you don’t put much effort in it, it will reflect and people will be discouraged when they read it.

 

There are a couple of things you must take note of when formatting your titles.

 

CAPITALIZATION

Make sure you know how you write your . You can’t just write a good title in a bad way. For example: tHe BLACK rOsE. Nope, if you do that, the reader’s eyes will burn and you’ll be at fault, and the reader will sue you. (Just kidding) But seriously though, do not write your titles that way. If you need help in capitalizing your stories, here’s a link to help you with that. click here.

PUNCTUATIONS

!......I AM IN LOVE WITH A VAMPIRE….! or I Is Married To Exo’s Tao?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?~~ You don’t know how many times I see these kinds of title on the site and cringe when I see them. First of all, it discourages the reader because it is VERY untidy. It looks like you smashed your title in a grinder and added pink sprinkles afterwards. (Just kidding, but you get my point.) Just make sure not to over use the punctuations.

SYMBOLS

ஐ ❤❣ Black Rose ஐ ❤❣ In my opinion, I wouldn’t read stories like that. It just makes me cringe. It gives off an unprofessional vibe. Maybe using symbols are fine when making shops, but when using them in stories, it is a big no no. I guess you could use one symbol, but it would be much better if you didn’t use them in your stories.

 

Here are some tips when making your titles:

 

MAKE IT CATCHY

This the biggest factor when making your title. Make sure it grabs the reader’s attention. Imagine yourself reading your own story and ask yourself, “Will this grab my attention?”

SHORT BUT MEANINGFUL

Sometimes, one word titles are the best because they’re easier to remember. If you are using only one word as your title, make sure it creates a big impact on the readers.

STORY LINES

You can also take lines from your story as well, but make sure it isn’t too long. Let’s say you have a line that says, “Sometimes, you just have to smile.” With this, you can take “Just Smile”

DON’T MAKE IT PREDICTABLE

One very effective way to make readers read your story is by making them curious, and what better way to make them curious but with your title? Usually, when I see titles like “I AM ARRANGED MIRRIAGE WITH EXO’S BYUN BAEKHYUN!” I usually just pass them by because they don’t make me curious. It’s the whole story in a nutshell, making all the excitement in me, disappear.

 

Well, that’s all I have to say for now. I’m supposed to be finishing my homework, but I’d rather do this. Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter! If you have any problem, please PM me and I’ll help you out. Please leave comments as well, so I can know what you’d like me to tackle about.