Final

What If

" Kim Jongdae!" A five year old Chanyeol yelled as he threw a rock on his best friend's window.

" What?" Jongdae asked.

" Let's play! I have a new ball from my dad, let's play soccer!" Chanyeol replied.

" My dad's here, Chan." Jongdae replied.

" So? Let's just play, I have no one to play with. Come on, Dae, please." Chanyeol begged.

Chanyeol and Jongdae were friends. Best friends to be exact. They do everything together, they play together, study together and sometimes they sleepover at each other's houses.

Jongdae looked around and said:

" Okay. But, I should be back after we play."

" Yes! Let's go." Chanyeol cheered.

Jongdae opened the window and went out. He carefully walked on the roof and climbed down the ladder.

He jumped and ran to his friend.

" Let's go, Dae!" Chanyeol said as he grabbed his friend's hand and played soccer.



" Kim Jongdae!" A fifteen year-old Chanyeol said as he threw a rock on his best-friend's window.

The boy with glasses opened his window, held his Chemistry book and said:

" Chan, please stop throwing rocks on my window. You broke three windows already."

" Sorry, Dae." Chanyeol apologized.

" Anyway, if you wanna play soccer or baseball, not now, I have to study for Chemistry."

" Study? The quiz is like three weeks from now." Chanyeol asked.

" It's called advanced-study moron." Jongdae shot back.

" Oh, come on, Dae, I've got no one to go with. And, guess what, a boy moved in next door. I guess you wanna make friends with him." Chanyeol said.

" Sure, but not now, Chan." Jongdae replied.

Chanyeol sighed and said:

" Okay, I'mma go to him and make friends with him. Don't be jealous when he becomes my new best friend."

" Wait!" Jongdae yelled.

Chanyeol just laughed.

" Wait for me, Chan." Jongdae said as he went out of his window, and from the roof, jumped to the ground.

" You okay?" Chanyeol asked as he helped his friend up.

" Yeah, let's go." Jongdae said as he grabbed his friend's hand and ran going to the new boy's house.

 



" Baekhyun, go help with the boxes, it's moving day, we should work hard." His mother said as she brought two boxes with her.

" Okay." Baekhyun replied as he put his earphones on his ears and brought the boxes to his new room.

Baekhyun never knew whether he'd make new friends in his new neighborhood. He was much of an introvert. And he never knew why.

Baekhyun put the boxes on his bed and sat on it.

He was listening to Super Junior's Don't Don, and afterwards, he heard something.

He looked at his window and saw rocks being thrown at it. Aside from that, he also heard boys yelling:

" Hey new boy!"

" Come out new boy!"

Baekhyun opened his window and asked:

" Excuse me?"

" Hey, new guy. You don't know us and we don know you. So, I'll introduce myself. I'm Park Chanyeol." Chanyeol said.

" And I'm Kim Jongdae." Jongdae added.

" Hey. I'm Byun Baekhyun." Baekhyun replied.

" Ooh, Baekhyun." Chanyeol and Jongdae said.

" Yeah. So, what can I do for you?" Baekhyun asked.

" We would like to be your friends." Jongdae replied.

" Yeah, we could always use an addition to our group." Chanyeol added.

Baekhyun thought for a moment before he smiled and nodded his head.

" Come on!" Jongdae said.

" Mom! I'm going out!" Baekhyun yelled as he went out of his window, jumped from the roof and went with his two new friends.

Chanyeol put his arms on his two shorter friends and said:

" We'll be the best of friends ever."

 



" I think I like Baekhyun." Chanyeol said.

" What?" Jongdae asked.

" Baekhyun. I think I like him." Chanyeol replied.

" Like him? Are you gay or something?" Jongdae asked.

" Maybe. I'm not sure. But, dude, I really like him." Chanyeol replied.

" Okay, freaky." Jongdae said a he went back to what he was doing.

Jongdae thought his friend was weird, but, since he was his best friend, he had to support him, even though he knew it wasn't right.

 



" Kin Jongdae!" Baekhyun yelled as he threw a rock on Jongdae's window.

Jongdae, now twenty-two, opened his window and said:

" You know, Chanyeol always used to do that."

" I know, I guess I got used to Chanyeol." Baekhyun said.

" Yeah." Jongdae said.

" So, come on down. Chanyeol told us to wait for him in the bar. He'll pick us up later." Baekhyun said.

" Okay." Jongdae said as he jumped from his window, and landed on the ground.

" Leggo." Jongdae said as he out an arm around Baekhyun.

Baekhyun smiled and said:

" Leggo."

Jongdae has been keeping the secret for seven years. Baekhyun never knew that Chanyeol liked him, but Jongdae never knew what Baekhyun felt.

 



Jongdae and Baekhyun were at the bar, ordering some drinks for themselves and talking:

" What movie do you wanna watch?" Jongdae asked.

" Anything you want." Baekhyun replied.

" You're making me choose the movie?" Jongdae asked.

" Yeah, I mean, I'd rather watch a movie you want." Baekhyun replied.

Jongdae chuckled and said:

" Okay, then. Let's watch--" Jongdae said, but, got cut off by Baekhyun.

" Dae, look at that!" Baekhyun said as he pointed at the TV screen.

Jongdae turned around and saw what Baekhyun was seeing:

" There was a terrible seven-car pile-up in Block 17 today. Three cars, two delivery trucks and two motorcycles. The motorcyclists, Park Janghoon and Kim Hyungjin died on the spot. The truck drivers, Kim Jongmin and Jung Sungmin are safe. While the car drivers Son Jinun, Lee Janghyuk and Park Chanyeol are in a critical condition and are in Seoul National Hospital. This is Kim Hyukdong, Arirang News."

" Chanyeol! " Jongdae and Baekhyun yelled.

" Dae, we gotta go to him!" Baekhyun said with teary eyes.

" Okay, Baek. Don't worry, we'll go to him." Jongdae said as he held his friend's hand and guided him out of the bar.

" Taxi!" Jongdae yelled.

A can pulled over and both boys entered.

" Where to?" The cab driver asked.

" Seoul Natuonal Hospital. Please make it quick." Baekhyun replied.

The cab driver sped up and drove to the hospital. Jongdae and Baekhyun were scared, they didn't know whether their best friend made it or not.

 



" Charge to three hundred."

" Clear."

" No pulse."

" Charge to three fifty."

" Clear."

" No pulse."

These were the first words they heard once they entered the emergency room.

The best friends checked every station and once they found the station where Chanyeol was staying in, Jongdae and Baekhyun were shocked.

They saw blood, and his shirt ripped open with all the machines hooked on his chest. Three doctors trying their best to revive him.

" Charge to five hundred." The doctor said.

" Chan." Baekhyun said as he ran to Chanyeol's side and held his hand tight.

" Get out, you're not supposed to be here." A doctor said.

" Please, I can't. He's my friend. I need to be with him." Baekhyun pleaded with tears.

" Baek, come on, let's go. The doctors are trying their best." Jongdae said as he hugged his friend from behind.

" Dae, please. I can't let go of him." Baekhyun said.

" Baek, you must. He'll be safe, I promise." Jongdae said.

Baekhyun nodded his head as he wiped tears. He kissed Chanyeol's hand and told the doctors:

" Please keep him safe."

" We will." The doctors replied.

Afterwards, Jongdae brought the crying Baekhyun to the waiting room, unaware of whatever happened to Chanyeol.

 



" Dae?" Baekhyun asked.

" What is it, Baek?" Jongdae asked.

" If Chanyeol goes, will you still be my friend?" Baekhyun asked.

Jongdae held his hand and replied:

" Of course. That's what friends are for."

" But, do you think I can handle it?" Baekhyun asked.

" You can, Baek. And I know, Chanyeol is also doing his best to stay with us." Jongdae replied.

Baekhyun leaned on Jongdae's shoulder and sighed.

" What's with the sigh, Baek?" Jongdae asked.

" I'm just worried." Baekhyun replied.

" You know,Baek you're just tired. You need to rest. Come on, stand up, I'll send you home." Jongdae said as he held Baekhyun's hand and helped him up.

" Wait, we should go see Chanyeol first, I gotta say goodbye to him." Baekhyun said.

" Yeah, good idea."Jongdae said as he brought Baekhyun to their friend's room.

They entered Chanyeol's room, and found him hooked to a lot of machines. He looked fine, and he was just unconscious. They knew that he was safe.

" I'mma go with Jongdae for a while, Chan. Stay safe, bro." Baekhyun said he held Chanyeol's hand and let it go.

Afterwards, he went with Jongdae back to his house.

 



" We're here." Jongdae said as he dropped Baekhyun back in his house.

" Thanks, Dae." Baekhyun said.

" So, I think I'll just go back to my house. My parents are probably looking for me." Jongdae said.

But before Jongdae could even turn around, Baekhyun held his hand and said:

" Stay with me, Dae."

" Um, I'm not pretty sure, if I should--" Jongdae said, but, got cut off by Baekhyun.

" Please Dae, I need you. Just for tonight, please stay with me Dae."Baekhyun pleaded as he held Jongdae's hand.

Jongdae sighed and said:

" Fine. For you."

" Thanks, Dae." Baekhyun said as he brought Jonhdae up to his room and shut his door closed. And Jongdae did keep his word, he spent the night with Baekhyun.


 



Chanyeol found himself in the hospital, hooked to a couple of machines one morning. Clearly, he did not remember everything the night before, and the only thing he remembers was a loud crash.

A nurse entered his room and said:

" Good morning, Chanyeol-ah."

" Good morning." Chanyeol replied.

" It looks like you're alright from the accident." She said.

" I guess so." Chanyeol replied.

The nurse took down some notes and checked Chanyeol's vital signs.

" Everything seems to be okay. You can be discharged tonight or tomorrow morning." the nurse said.

" Thank you." Chanyeol said.

" You're welcome." The nurse replied.

" Oh wait!" Chanyeol called out.

" Yes?" The nurse asked.

" Um, did by any chance, my two friends visit me here?" Chanyeol asked.

" You mean Jongdae and Baekhyun?" The nurse asked.

" Yeah, them." Chanyeol replied.

" Oh, yeah. They were here last night, when you almost died, they were in the waiting room crying. I overheard them and that Baekhyun boy told your other friend that they'd be going back to his house. Probably they're spending the night together." The nurse replied.

" What do mean by spending the night together?" Chanyeol asked.

" Well, it's not only me, but the other nurses with me saw something in them. Something sort of romantic. Man, if you were there, you could have seen how cuddly they are." The nurse said.

Chanyeol widened his eyes, not in shock, but in rage.

" Anyway, have a pleasant day." The nurse said as she left the room.

Chanyeol gripped his bedsheets in anger.

" Kim Jongdae, you ing inconsiderate bastard." Chanyeol said as he took off the machines and dextrose and escaped.

He wore the jacket he wore yesterday and went on. He went out of the window and climbed down the ladder nearby. Afterwards, he went to the coffee shop, where the three of them normally eat breakfast.

 



Jongdae woke up with Baekhyun leaning on his shoulder.

He smiled as he slightly tapped his forehead.

Baekhyun woke up and asked:

" What?"

" Nothing." Jongdae replied.

Baekhyun rubbed his eyes and said:

" Good morning."

" Good morning to you too." Jongdae replied.

" So, should we go see Chanyeol today?" Baekhyun asked.

" Well, of course. We wouldn't spend a day with our best friend." Jongdae replied.

" Okay. But, Dae, let's eat first, I'm hungry." Baekhyun said.

" Sure. Do you wanna eat in the coffee shop where we eat every morning?" Jongdae asked.

"Yeah, Sure." Baekhyun replied.


 



Chanyeol kept his head down, because he knew that the hospital would be looking for him any minute now.

He made his way to the coffee shop, and from outside, he could see Jongdae and Baekhyun on the couch, beside each other, with Baekhyun's head leaning on Jongdae's shoulder.

" ers." Chanyeol said as he entered the coffee shop.

He opened the door, making the wind chimes cling. It caught his best friends' attention.

" Chan, what are you doing here?" Jongdae asked.

" Aren't  you supposed to be in the hospital." Baekhyun added.

But, Chanyeol didn't mind any of their questions and he went straight to Jongdae and grabbed his collar.

" Chan!" Baekhyun said as he tried to take Chanyeol off the smaller boy.

" Stay out of this, Baek!" Chanyeol yelled.

He then looked at Jongdae and pushed on the wall.

" You inconsiderate son of a ! What makes you think that you can have him all to yourself? So what, we're hoping that I'm gonna die?" Chanyeol yelled.

" What the , Chanyeol?" Jongdae yelled.

" You know what, Dae, I knew I couldn't trust you with this. How could you do this to me? How could you do this to your best friend?" Chanyeol asked as he walked out of the coffee shop.

" Chanyeol." Jongdae and Baekhyun called out.

They were all out of the coffee shop. Chanyeol was at the middle of the street walking away, while the two other boys were still at the side.

" Chanyeol!" Jongdae yelled.

" What! Go away! You guys are so inconsiderate! Leave me alone!" Chanyeol yelled back.

Jongdae was about to sigh, but he stopped himself once he saw what was approaching him.

There was a car approaching him. Chanyeol didn't seem to mind it, or maybe because he didn't see it.

" Chanyeol!" Jongdae yelled as he sprinted and pushed Chanyeol out of the way, saving him.

But not himself.

Once the car hit Jongdae, he was pushed immediately to the ground, hitting his head hard and causing it to bleed profusely.

" Jongdae!" Baekhyun yelled as he ran to Jongdae and put his bleeding head on his lap.

" Jongdae, please wake up." Baekhyun pleaded, letting his tears fall on his friend's shirt.

Chanyeol on the other hand, stared at his friend in shock.

" Jongdae, please, wake up." Baekhyun cried.

Chanyeol started shedding his tears as he knelt down beside his friend.

" Jongdae, I'm so sorry. I'm so ing sorry. Please stay with us, Dae. Please." Chanyeol said with tears on his eyes.

Jongdae's eyes twitched and opened slowly.

" Chan?" Jongdae asked.

" Yeah?" Chanyeol asked.

He shook his head and said:

" I never did. B-because I knew that you wanted him."

Jongdae gulped and looked at Baekhyun:

" Baek?"

" Yeah?" Baekhyun asked, while crying.

" Stay with Chanyeol. I stayed with you for a night, stay by his side all time." Jongdae replied.

Baekhyun nodded his head.

" To both of you." Jongdae faintly said.

" What?" both of them asked.

" Remember, we're best friends forever." Jongdae said.

Both boys nodded their heads.

Jongdae smiled as he looked at the sky and said:

" I love you, guys."

Afterwards, he closed his eyes, and let eternal sleep conquer him.

" Jongdae!" Baekhyun and Chanyeol cried out as they hugged his dead body tight.

 



Six months passed, but during those six months, Baekhyun and Chanyeol never spoke to each other.

Chanyeol was busy with his new part-time job while Baekhyun decided to spend time with Jongdae's brother, who couldn't get over the shock that his brother actually died.

Finally, both boys saw each other, on Jongdae's grave.

Chanyeol was walking to Jongdae's grave when he saw Baekhyun sitting by it.

" Hey." Chanyeol said.

" Hey." Baekhyun replied.

Chanyeol sat down beside the tombstone and said:

" It's been six months."

" Yeah, time really does pass by fast." Baekhyun said, without looking at Chanyeol.

It was silent for a moment.

" Look, Baek, about what happened before the accident--" Chanyeol said.

" Forget it, Chan. I know everything." Baekhyun replied.

Chanyeol widened his eyes. " You know?" He asked.

" Yeah, Dae told me everything." Baekhyun replied.

" So?" Chanyeol asked.

" So, you liked me for seven years, and now you think that I slept with Jongdae the night you were in the hospital? Chan, he just told me what I needed to know! And I told him what I needed to know." Baekhyun yelled.

" What do you mean?" Chanyeol asked.

" Chan, I like Jongdae. And he also told me that he liked me too. But, we didn't do anything because we knew that you were there! So don't you ever call us inconsiderate because all we thought about that night was you! As much as we wanted to kiss or maybe even do it, we didn't because of you!" Baekhyun yelled.

Chanyeol was silenced.

" Baek, I--" Chanyeol said as he held Baekhyun's hands.

" Don't touch me!" Baekhyun yelled as he shrugged Chanyeol off.

" Look, I'm sorry I thought of you and Dae like that. I just thought." Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun sighed as he stood up and said:

" You can say sorry to Jongdae, but, Chan, I'm not even sure if I can forgive you right now."

Afterwards, Baekhyun left him.

Chanyeol sighed as he looked at Jongdae's tombstone. On it, was picture of Jongdae, Chanyeol and Baekhyun and it said: Best Friends Forever.

Chanyeol shed a few tears before he said:

" Rest in peace, Dae."

Afterwards, he stood up and left the place as well. But, before he left the place, he turned around and said:

" Dae, I know that Baek will never love me the same way he loved you, but, sometimes I just ask, what if?"