Episode Two: Marriages and Meetings

Affluenza

--~*+*~-:-•|Episode Two: Marriages &Meetings|•-:-~*+*~--

 

The bustle of a busy kitchen was never a problem for him. In fact, Jaejoong relished the organized chaos that was an active kitchen. But this wasn’t his kitchen, with his staff that compensated what he lacked. There was no Hangeng, Ryeowook, and Henry to assist him with organizing a workable system so all he had to worry about was cooking.

 

Here he was overwhelmed with understanding a staff he’d just met hours ago. He knew nothing of their strengths and weaknesses to be able to direct them to the appropriate stations. The chef that would be taking over after the weekend’s opening wasn’t helping, more inclined to usurp his authority than help him with rectifying the situation.

 

I need a drink, was the only thought coursing through his mind, as he massaged his temples hoping to ease the dull throb that was subtly building as time went on.

 

“Chef, should I go over the menu again. The changes have to be made now before they are sent to the printers,” his would-be replacement of the Jeju branch asked. Jaejoong was trying his hardest to read the list and course description on the mock-up menu, but the words were confused and hard to read. It didn’t help that some of it was in English.

 

Usually Jaejoong didn’t handle such matters, trusting Ryeowook to handle the task and prevent him from trying to read the sheets. “Um… this is?” Jaejoong asked, trying to buy time to figure out a solution.

 

“The agreed menu you sent over to be prep for, don’t you remember?” There was a hint of condescending in the man’s voice, expressing his obvious irritation with Jaejoong’s stalling. He didn’t blame him though; they’d been trying to do this for 20 minutes already. But Jaejoong had only dictated, and Ryeowook was the one to type it out.

 

He opened his mouth to answer, but a deep baritone that wasn’t his own came through as a hand clasped his shoulder. “Hyung, let me help you. What’s this?” Woobin asked, taking the tablet out of his hands and looking it over.

 

Woobin was well aware that his cousin was struggling greatly to admit he was having a hard time read it. That and he could see the bastard’s motive of flustering Jaejoong from a mile away, and he wouldn’t have it. If the bugger wanted to mess with someone, he could mess with him instead. “Does it need a signature?”

 

“Tomorrow’s menu,” the bugger explained, straightening up and losing his air of superiority immediately. At least he wasn’t that much of an idiot to think he could mess with the owner’s son. “It needed confirmation before it goes to the printers, sir.”

 

Working at the Sapphire Regency’s kitchens had clued him into many things that went into running a kitchen. For one, he knew the system his cousin liked using was that Suri handled the menu. “That is the job of the maitre d’. Why are you bothering my cousin with such small things?”

 

“It needs confirmation with the chef, sir.”

 

“Then we’ll do it together. Why don’t you make a list of your staff’s strengths and weaknesses so you can start organizing them,” Woobin suggested, “Right hyung?” turning to Jaejoong, who as expected was quick to agree with this particular course of action. Of course the idiot tried to hide his anger at being bossed around by a mere high school student as he walked away to do what he’d been told, but Woobin could see right through his flimsy mask.

 

Jaejoong could finally breathe a sigh of relief, “Thanks, Woobin-ah.”

 

“Don’t think this was for free. You still have to feed me,” Woobin smirked, leading the older male to the break-room to handle things with the menu.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

The only one Yoona was photographing today was Choi Seunghyun who had been unable to make it the day before. She spared herself the headache of asking for Changmin’s help, being that he’d only tell her no in 10 different inventive ways after her stunt the day before. Besides, setting up wouldn’t be as tedious as the day before had been, and was the first thing she’d done upon arriving before going about the job of editing and preparing a mock up of the catalogue she’d be forwarding to Mrs. Moon and Soojin for approval.

 

She was putting the final touches of the first half containing the auction items, and was about to begin on the bachelor and bachelorette section when he finally walked in. He was tall, but not as tall as Siwon had been. The slightly older Choi had been taller and broader shouldered, while Seunghyun was more about silent charisma that held the room at ransom.

 

He had a rugged, yet classic handsomeness.

 

“Shim Yoona? I’m Choi Seunghyun you were expecting me,” he greeted the girl who was openly gawking at him. He’d seen her in a few magazines, at least the ones Boa read and had assumed her a model. He never thought she was a photographer as well, and was much prettier in person.

 

She shook her head, trying not to blush at getting caught staring, “Ah, yes. Soojin-ssi prepared your suit. If you’ll follow me,” there was amusement in his dark eyes, she noted but not enough to embarrass her. One thing she noted was that Seunghyun voice was definitely deeper than his brother’s, the only other person she knew to have such a deep drawl was Woobin. Both silky smooth laced with elegance. “You can change here. I’ll just be there setting up, If you’ll excuse me.”

 

Yoona didn’t even give him time to thank her as she rushed out from the room. His clothes were easy to find on the rack, being the only suit bag hanging on the rack with his name tagged on it. For what it was worth, Soojin had definitely chosen well except for the bowtie. He was the classic tie kind of guy if he wasn’t casual, finding bow ties a little pompous. Heck, he’d personally refused to learn how to tie it and today would be the first time he ever put one round his neck. “Yoona-ssi, I’m not sure how to tie this. Will it be fine if I just wear my tie?”

 

“Umm,” the clothing was specifically chosen to match the classic elegance theme, and she wasn’t sure she could stray from this. “I… I can help you with it?” it was meant to be a statement, but it came out as an awkward question. Aish, get it together Yoong! It was not like she hadn’t seen a good looking guy before, heck she’d modeled with some half ones too. This Choi Seunghyun shouldn’t fluster her.

 

“You shouldn’t be uncomfortable around me. I promise I don’t bite despite how I look,” his features had always been harder and sharper than his brother’s classic princely looks, which gave many the impressions that he was some sort of thug at first glance. It didn’t help that his voice was deep, which served to intimidate people further.

 

She chuckled feeling slightly relieved that he could joke and even smile. Perhaps that had been the problem, his no nonsense expression on such a striking face was the epitome of intimidation. “Maybe we can try with it untied? Just the first two buttons,” she suggested on second thought. “Is that okay?” The action of him ing his shirt was unnecessarily suave and fascinating despite herself. It was a much more mature charisma than Woobin, that she wondered if this was a glimpse of where her tall classmate was headed –potent charm.

 

“Where do you want me? Here,” he asked walking toward the large ornate chair in front of a grey backdrop.

 

Even innocent words sounded all too alluring, Yoona couldn’t help note, picking up her camera. This will be an interesting shoot.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Is this how it really is? When you came to me, you said I would have my own kitchen. What is with this idiot and that punk kid?” Hyoyeon had been going to the back to order more silver ware and table linens for the dining room, when she happened upon the Maitre d’ and Jaehyun, newly hired chef for the Jeju branch of Blue Bay, speaking. The punk was obviously her punk cousin, but idiot wasn’t known to her. “Can he even read? I asked him to confirm he’s own menu and he looked like I asked him to solve a complex math problem.”

 

With that she was now aware of exactly who they were calling an idiot. It was Jaejoong. Her brother wasn’t stupid, and this bastard implying it was ridiculous. He had dyslexia that made it hard for him to read certain words, but despite that he’d manage to become a five star Michelin chef while this punk was still struggling with culinary school. Didn’t he know Blue Bay wouldn’t exist without her brother?

 

“Just bare his interference for the weekend,” she knew that voice all too well. It was the devil‘s demon assistant. Her uncle’s assistant. “He’s slow. But he brings in the crowds, which will only help you. As for Woobin-ssi, I wouldn’t cross him if I was you, or you’ll be losing your job.” Of course he’d defend the devil spawn while dismissing her brother.

 

“So what we just let Chef Kim delay us. We are behind schedule because he barely knows what his doing? Should we allow this?” It was the maitre d’ with all the arrogance in the world, like her brother was a nuisance. Did these people really forget who created the success that was Blue Bay enabling it to open many branches hence hiring their sorry behinds?

 

Once again the demon assistant sighed like it was some sort of burden to talk about, “The CEO is allowing him to lead this to keep him happy. Just let him have the reigns for the weekend. Make him feel important and that he is in control. If you bare this, then the restaurant will be yours after the weekend.” Keep him happy? Make him feel important? Was her brother someone to be sated like an insolent child? But of course the directive came from the manipulative devil bastard himself, the one that strung her poor brother along with false show of valuing his talent.

 

Hyoyeon couldn’t stomach it.

 

“Hyoyeon-ssi –” one of the organizer tried calling after her when she stormed past, but she didn’t care or want to be there. This weekend she’d sacrificed for her brother, to make something he cared about a success. But what was it for? The success they achieved would be handed over to those bastards, who couldn’t even find it in their soul to respect her brother. It could go ahead and fail, she didn’t want to help the thieving bastard and his advocates. They could go to hell.

 

“Yah cousin, why do you look like you want to kill someone?” Woobin asked, seeing his incensed cousin coming up the stairs to the mezzanine floor. He and Jaejoong had made quick work of re-reading the menu and making necessary edits before it was taken to the printer. It had also given the man a renewed confidence to return to the kitchen with after the unfortunate incident with the newly hired chef.

 

She clicked, “Are you offering? Because I can do it by my hands and make the world a much better place,” It was just what she needed, the devil spawn descending on her with his air of superiority. Did she look like she was in the mood for his stupidity?

 

“I can die by your hands, Hyoyeonie?” he asked. Whatever her issue he didn’t deserve her rant and he wouldn’t take it. If his nonchalance and smile annoyed her further, tough. But seriously sometimes he was sure she was angry at him for the mere action of breathing. “I didn’t know this was possible.”

 

She sneered. “Does this make you happy? My anger, it’s amusing right?” closing the distance between them and getting in his face. He was several feet taller than her, but she didn’t care. Her disgust and anger were big enough to topple his height. “To treat my brother like this is fun right? Know this: it will be me smiling soon. I will take back everything you stole from oppa. And I will make him see your true face. This I promise you,” bumping harshly into his body, before walking away.

 

He had maintained a semblance of his smile as she ranted, but it faded with her absence. Her physical blows didn’t hurt. They never did. But, her words always left him feeling worthless. Did he have to pay for his father’s sins? Wasn’t he trying to make up for it?

 

The skittish approach of his father’s worthless assistant clued him in on what had possibly occurred.

 

“Master Woobin –”

 

“–Why is she upset?” Woobin cut off whatever BS was going to spill from the man’s mouth. “Don’t even attempt to lie to me. It will only end up being unpleasant for you, Dong Wook-ssi.” His eyes were hard and threat strong in his voice, not to be mistaken as request.

 

The man maintained a poor poker face, “Who is upset?” it was because he was his father’s trusted hire that the man was bold in his face, despite Woobin demanding for the truth.

 

“Are we playing games?” Woobin descended the stairs, until his height towered over the man. “Don’t be mistaken, I wasn’t asking you nicely.” The thing Dongwook forgot to remember was that there was only one successor for Sapphire despite Jongin being recognized, and that was him. As such he remained mum. “You won’t answer?” Woobin smirked. “All this will be mine soon. In this time you should enjoy employment, because you will be unemployed when I takeover. Remember my humble words, friend.” All the while straightening the man’s tie, and brushing the nonexistent lint off the man’s shoulders.

 

For now she may hate him, but if she waited a little longer all that was taken from her brother would soon be returned.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

After the gig at Black Diamond, Yonghwa opted to stay at Jinki and Sunny’s for the night, wanting to avoid his father’s disapproval for the moment. Besides, they’d have a whole night for the belittling at his uncle’s house. He wanted to enjoy his breakfast and morning.

 

“Good morning, noona,” Yonghwa greeted Sunny, who was already up and moving around the kitchen in the penthouse apartment. Heck, she looked dressed and ready to go for the day. “Are you going out?” taking a seat at the divider bench, sleepily running a hand through his messy hair.

 

She smiled brightly, “yeah, I’m meeting Jihye in an hour,” already fixing the teen a bowl of bibimbap. It wasn’t unusual for the boy to stay over. In fact he spent most of his time with them or at Woobin’s suite than at home. “Did you sleep well?” laughing as he yawned widely, blinking sleepily.

 

“I can’t complain, but I should probably sleep more,” he answered, supporting his head on a palm. He was greedy for sleep and would probably drop back in bed after breakfast until probably midday where he would have to return home, before his father sent a search party in fear of him missing the all important dinner party. “What do you and noona have planned? Don’t get her too drunk, we have a scheduled dinner later.”

 

“We’re going dress shopping for the dinner. Your cousin is always last minute,” there was also the matter of her own dress for the charity auction the following weekend. It was better to buy it before she changed her mind about going. “How do you feel about it, the dinner?”

 

He yawned again, mixing around his noodles. “It will be nice to see Jessica and Krystal. That’s what I’ll concentrate on.” He would rather be doing something else, but it was a family obligation and he meant it when he said it would be nice to see the girls again.

 

“Don’t let whatever your father says get you down,” placing a comforting hand on the boy’s shoulder. It wasn’t a secret that Minister Jung thought his son an embarrassment because he didn’t embody Yunho or Jihye for that matter, and as much as he pretended it didn’t hurt him she knew it affected Yonghwa greatly.

 

He smiled his lazy lopsided smile, “I never have. His expectation would be burdensome anyway.” Yes, it was a non filial thing to say, but it was how he saw things. He didn’t harbor resentment against his father or Yunho for his situation. In fact he was relieved that he wasn’t expected to keep up with his father’s high expectations.

 

“Eat a lot,” Sunny wished with a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes. She worried about him sometimes.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“Ah, Jongin-ah. You’re growing up to be so handsome,” his father’s latest fling gushed, even daring to reach out and touch him. He avoided her intention by stepping back, eyes none to friendly. His father and she had come in stumbling drunk and disrobing each other with no care for himself or Ara who’d been with him.

 

They were all like this. Each one kissing up to him, deluded to think that they’d be the next lady of the house. His father however never saw them more than three times, if even that, before he moved on to the next one. She’d be no different.

 

Proved almost immediately, when his impeccably dressed father descended the stairs with a stoic expression fixed on his face. The woman, like all the others, didn’t take this as a hint to leave him alone and rushed to drape herself around him. An action that was rewarded with a disgusted retraction of her arms by his father, “You are still here. Did you not get what you were looking for? Leave.”

 

Even if stung by the words, the woman battled to hold on to a rope that anchored absolutely nothing, “Oppa, don’t be like this –”

 

“–This isn’t a request. Leave now before this becomes unpleasant,” the icy tone of Kim Woohyun voice was capable of freezing the entire room. Usually he’d afford her another meeting should she have been satisfying, but the night had been rather underwhelming and it was best to end things there.

 

Jongin would have felt sorry for the woman, but he had no emotions to spare her. He had his own scars from the man; he didn’t have the desire to deal with hers as well. He attempted to walk back upstairs and away from the scene without having to speak to the man, but his father would have none of that.

 

“Ara will take you to get your suit fitted for next weekend’s charity auction, Jongin. Make sure you go,” just looking at the choice of clothes he was wearing then, Woohyun didn’t doubt his youngest probably lacked the essentials for a black tie event. Usually Woobin’s presence would suffice, but with wagging tongues making assumptions, he was forced to debut Jongin. “I don’t hear you agreeing.”

 

The indifference in his father’s voice was cutting, almost like his existence was an unfortunate chore. He didn’t even understand why he was including him, after years of not taking him to such events. “Yes father.” The words bitter on his tongue, as he fought hard not to allow the tears that sprang to his eyes to fall.

 

“Young Master,” the young man stood there long after his father left, prompting Ara into action. “There a showing for the movie you wanted to see later. Shall we go see it after your fitting?” A movie would never make up for the cold rejection, but it was the only thing she could do. Short of wrapping her arms around the poor boy and letting him cry it out.

 

He turned around offering her a watery smile, “that would be nice, Ara-ssi,” rushing up the stairs. It was only for her he endured.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

It didn’t surprise him that his brother hadn’t invited him to their little gathering at the former Ambassador’s home, despite the fact that it would be one of his boys that would likely take over for him when he eventually retired. But that was Jungnam for you, always greedy for control.

 

“I hear you agreed to help Soojin-ah by participating. That is good,” his youngest son as always looked at him with annoyance than respect. Kiho guessed he deserved it for forcing the boy to live a lie.

 

To the world he was a cousin’s son that Kiho had generously taken in after their death, than the illegitimate son borne from an affair. His son’s resentment ran strong because of Kiho forsaking of his mother. But, how could he complain when he had everything that his heart could desire?

 

“I did it for her, and only her. Don’t misunderstand,” Seunghyun shut down any and all notion that he was looking for parental approval from the man. He’d never sought it, and he wouldn’t start then either. Yes, his action would end with him looking good in his uncle’s and aunt’s eyes, but ultimately he’d suffer the pretentiousness for Soojin and only her. “Is there something you needed from me, father.”

 

“Can’t a father see his son?” Kiho asked, swirling around the amber liquid and ice in the tumbler. It was midday and probably not the time for a drink, despite it heading into the afternoon.

 

Seunghyun sniggered, that was rich. “Son? Don’t you remember? I’m your nephew.” He mocked. It probably should have earned him a smack in the face for insolence, but even the man couldn’t deny his convoluted lie. “There is something you want, right?” please, Kiho didn’t know filial affection if it came and bit him in the .

 

“How are things at C&C Luxury? Are you and Siwon working well?” He already knew they weren’t, but it was to make conversation. Despite how it looked, he did want to see his son. The son that wouldn’t come to him unless summoned.

 

Seunghyun chuckled once again, “You really don’t know anything? Oil and water mix better, than me and your son. You already know this. Is this really why you called me here because I still have work pending?” He had absolutely no patience for being summon like this for nothing in the middle of the day.

 

Villa Rhea was a good deal. Congratulations son,” he finally turned away from the window to face his son. “This however won’t be enough. You’re not a legitimate heir. I advise you to accept what you’re given and forget this war.” He didn’t want to be cruel, but a war would eventually affect their work and it was the last thing the conglomerate needed.

 

Ah, it made sense now.  Siwon had run to daddy to complain about him being mean. This wasn’t at all a surprise him. For the first time since he’d stepped in the room, he spotted a genuine smile. “He complained. Why doesn’t that surprise me? He was going to give them more than they deserved, I saved the company money.” He wasn’t sorry for what he’d done. “As for who will succeed ‘uncle’, it’s not for you to decide. I’ll leave first; let’s not see each other unless necessary.”

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“How are things at the office? Are they still giving you a hard time?” Sunny asked, going through the racks looking for an appropriate dress, while they waited for the attendant to pull choice for them according to their specification.

 

Jihye sighed, “I’m still a spoilt brat to them. That hasn’t changed,” it was true, earlier that morning was enough of an indication of it. “But, there is someone in the same position like me.” Kyuhyun was a godsend to be honest. They worked well together with no problems, and he was friendly to her in the face of the others’ contempt. Perhaps with his arrival things would become easier.

 

“Really? Who’s that?” Sunny smiled liking the fact that her friend had someone in her corner. The first few weeks of her internship, Jihye had been harassed and tired, forcing a smile even if she looked like she wanted to cry at any moment. Being the tough cookie she was, Jihye had learned to ignore them but was still exhausted at the end of the day.

 

“He’s the former Attorney General’s nephew. Senior at Korea University, Cho Kyuhyun” Jihye replied, finding a red dress she found undeniably pretty, but embarrassingly daring for her to ever try to wear. Perhaps appropriate to wear to a club, but to a dinner party? Her mother would have a fit, “Too much right?”She asked, holding up the dress against her body to show Sunny.

 

“To be buried in after your mom kills you for wearing it?” the dress was much too short and too red to get anything but violent rejection form Attorney Jun. But with that being said, on any other occasion the dress and Jihye would be a match made in heaven. With her height, legs and curves she would be a sure show stopper. “But, I’d still buy it. Use it for a possible hot date with this Kyuhyun-sunbae?“ she couldn’t help tease.

 

“Sunny, what gave you the impression I see him like that? Did I say I was interested?” Not that there was anything wrong with Kyuhyun, he just wasn’t her style. But she did like him. “We are just workmates, woman. Don’t get any ideas.” She didn’t have the nerve to get the dress anyway. Clubbing was more Sunny’s style, she was the Jazz bar type of person. A siren red dress would draw too much attention in such a laid back place.

 

“Aren’t you protesting too much?” the petite blonde continued her teasing, pulling a sandy brown dress and moving to the mirror to judge it against her body. “Don’t you think it’s time to move from Jongsuk?” The two had had a mutual break up when he’d enlisted, with no commitment to wait for each other. It seemed only fair that Jihye try to move on.

 

To be honest Jihye hadn’t thought too much about relationships after Jongsuk, preferring to concentrate on her studies and work. “I don’t want a man. Are you sure you are not projecting?” Jihye challenged, returning the dress to the rack. “That’s nice,” referring to the brown dress.

 

“Maybe I’ll have a date soon. I’ll bid on Choi Seunghyun at the auction next weekend,” Maybe it had been a long time since she’d been on a date, and Jihye had a point.

 

Now that was new, “How much have I missed? How in the world did Soojin-ah convince the Ice Prince to do anything? When did you decide to go to this thing? And why are you bidding on Ice Prince?” Jihye fired the questions rapidly as the sales lady returned to usher them to the dressing room for their fitting.

 

“Let’s get through shopping first and I’ll explain everything later,” Sunny linked her arms with Jihye leading her to the back, but not before motioning discreetly to the sales lady to wrap up the red dress. There was no way she was letting Jihye walk away from such perfection.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“Choi Sooyoung, are you already missing me this early?” Woobin answered with a smile, slinging a tie round his neck as he got ready for the Blue Bay launch hours away. They day hadn’t started well, but this call certainly had things looking up.

 

She chortled, “Are you delusional? I was calling because Hyoyeonie isn’t answering her phone and I wanted to check if things were alright?

 

“Don’t deny so much, it will become a habit,” he returned playfully shrugging on his jacket and checking its fit in the mirror. “Just admit you missed me, Choi.”

 

Fine she’d called to check on him knowing there was a great possibility that he and Hyoyeon were at each other’s throats, but admitting it would leave it wide open for him to until kingdom come. “Just so you know I’m taking this answer as everything is okay.

 

“Is it so hard to say the words, Choi Sooyoung?” If she was there in person, no doubt she’d be flustered and what he wouldn’t give to see that. Hearing it in her voice was enough for the moment.

 

He was trying to , but it wouldn’t work. Besides he couldn’t see his effect on her over the phone so she was safe. “The only thing hard to believe is that I actually called you,” was her defense as she slipped on her shoes and check her reflection in the mirror. They’d be leaving for the dinner at Ambassador Jung’s house any time soon.

 

“Don’t be cruel, I’ll take revenge,” he warned in a low octave not really meaning his words. There was no denying that he made a suit looked good, the event was his problem. But, he’d endure for his cousins and no one else.

 

Should I be scared? Yah, Kim Woobin, are you forgetting who you are talking to?” Maybe she should have just waited until she saw him at school to question him on how things went. Where she could look him in the eye and see if he was lying to her. On the phone he had the advantage to tease and fluster his way out of the situation.

 

No, he could never forget. A gentle wistful smile pulled at his lips. “Pretty girl, are you tempting me? Because I promise I can pull through.” Yes he’d take revenge, but not the kind she was thinking.

 

Soojin took that moment to enter her room for her dress and Sooyoung used the opportunity as an excuse to escape whatever web he was trying to trap her in. “Just for that I’m hanging up. See you at school you punk.

 

“Just run now, Pretty girl but I’ll catch you soon,” he promised her, the words heavier than intended, but not sorry for it. For the moment he had a pretentious opening to attend and false acquaintances to pretend he could tolerate.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“I suppose I should be glad you at least tried,” Jun Hyejin regarded her daughter with a critical eye as she descended the stairs. Usually she selected her daughter’s outfit when they attended a formal event to avoid any faux pas, but this time a case had kept her too occupied and busy to worry over such things. She could only be grateful for the sand colored dress that was boringly simple, but conservatively fitted and smart enough to pass. “Let’s go, or we’ll be late.”

 

Jihye sighed knowing it would be a while yet before her mother forgave her. The only comfort was her brother, slipping her hand on the crook of his arm with one of his silly encouraging smiles.

 

“My sister is looking so pretty tonight,” even if it only achieved a strained smile, Yunho had gotten a smile nonetheless. Their mother was being unnecessarily harsh on Jihye for something as insignificant as a dress. In his opinion, she looked pretty even if the dress was on the simple side. Not many women could boast of such a feat.

 

“Thank you, oppa,” his warm heart giving her the strength to make her smile more genuine as they walked to the car. The driver was out sick for the day so at least she wouldn’t have to share a tense car ride with their parents.

 

Forever the gentleman, Yunho held open the car door for her allowing her to slip in and racing to the other side and getting behind the wheel. It wasn’t a long ride to their cousins’; in fact if one put their mind to it they could probably make the distance walking in less than an hour. But, the rich didn’t walk and certainly not the owners of one of the biggest law firms in the Asian continent.

 

“She’ll get over it when you succeed, don’t think too much about it,” Yunho commented seeing his sister struggle to keep a cheerful face, watching cars and mansion after mansion pass by the car window.

 

She wanted to believe it, and on most days she did believed that if she succeeded she would prove her choice right and her mother would see it too. But, as the days went by it seemed unlikely since the caustic attitude hadn’t faded. “You seem sure,” gazing at her brother’s profile hoping for the slightest encouragement to be a bit of a reminder of her own resolve.

 

“I know my sister and I know what you’re capable of. Mother is just testing you to see if you’ll hold your ground or she’ll wear you down enough to see things her way,” Yunho answered believing his words to be nothing but the truth. His little sister was headed for great things no matter what she chose to do.

 

“Is my choice that bad?” Jihye wanted guidance to understand why wanting to build something that was on her own effort and not something already established by her parents. Yunho was doing it, diveting even further away from the lawyers their parents were, so why was it a problem for her to become a prosecutor?

 

Reaching over he patted her hand in comfort that were fidgeting in her lap, “Nothing Jihye-ah. Just persevere and do well, if it gets hard you can count on my support.” She was a grown up now with a mind of her own that didn’t need her oppa’s protection as much anymore, but that didn’t mean he didn’t want to protect her from being hurt –no matter where it came from.

 

“Thanks, oppa,” she smiled, idiot had her balancing tears with his sincere words.

 

“Now can’t you give even one pretty smile?”

 

“Yah, how can you talk like that? Am I a child?”

 

“In oppa’s eyes you’ll always be a child,” he replied cutely, getting a playful shove for his trouble. “Yah, can’t you see I’m driving? How can you shove the driver!”

 

“Because you’re being a punk,” she returned even sticking her tongue out at him for emphasis.

 

He laughed, “And this makes you an adult? Don’t fool yourself, you are still your oppa’s baby sister deal with it!”

 

“Just for that, I’m taking everything back that I said before. You’re being annoying again.” She mocked a huff, arms crossed and staring out the window with a pout.

 

“Jihye-ah,” he called gently finding her action cute, even if she acted like this rarely.

 

Fighting a smile she managed a convincing annoyed response, “What?”

 

“I love you,” his words sincere in their intention. He’d succeeded in getting her mind off things for a while and it was all he’d wanted to begin with. The words were rare, but were shown in his actions constantly –at least he hoped.

 

She smiled wistfully, “I know,” letting a small silence fill the car, filled with contentment. “I love you too.”

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

As the time ticked down to the arrival of their guest, Jessica couldn’t help feel dread. Her father was trying to make an impression on the Choi’s and her uncles and she was expected to act accordingly in aid of him to achieve his end. When the door bell rung to announce the first arrival, she sighed and followed her mother just outside the sitting room to the foyer to wait to greet the guest. Krystal at her side was just as thrilled at the situation giving her a glance of dread before forcing her face to be neutral.

 

“…It’s so good to see you again. Yonghwa-ah you’ve grown so much,” their mother greeted with formal politeness, as Yonghwa smiled in shy gratefulness. “To think it was just yesterday you were learning how to walk, and now our Yonghwa is getting ready for college.”

 

Yonghwa could practically see his father fighting not to snigger. The conversation about college was an old one, which ended with his father calling him an unmotivated idiot with his head in the clouds because he want to go to a music school and had no real desire for anything his father suggest. “You are being too generous with your compliments.”

 

“Hello cousins, have you been well?” Yonghwa moved onto his cousins leaving their parent to converse amongst themselves as they lead the way to the foyer, holding out an arm for each of the girls to take.

 

With an enthusiastic smile, Krystal quickly took one of his arms with a bright smile. Jessica was much more muted in her response, offering her cousin a restrained smile before taking his arm. “Much better than you it seems. Your smile isn’t genuine.”

 

“You can’t even give me one lie?” He laughed genuinely; he wasn’t surprised she’d notice and voiced it out. Jessica didn’t know how to filter things especially what she believed to be true. They were different in that sense, but similar in the fact that they both disliked dinners like this.

 

“Are we really going to be gloomy like this?” Krystal interrupted their melancholy train knowing they’d be trading subtle discontent at being there with each other until the night was through if left to their own devices.

 

“What would you rather talk about Soojungie?” Yonghwa offered with an indulgent smile, while Jessica rolled her eyes in concession to her sister’s words. Her topic of choice wasn’t much of a surprise.

 

Jeguk and how you will let me join because you love me,” Krystal rattled off shamelessly with enthusiasm that had her sister groaning in embarrassment.

 

Yonghwa chuckled because her forwardness was oddly endearing and cute, when on anyone else it was be unbearably annoying. “Oppa loves you, but what makes you think it’s enough to let you join the band.”

 

“Have you seen this face,” she pointed out herself as if it explained everything in the world, and he was stupid not to know it. “This face will bring in the crowds. You are trying to grow a fan base right?”

 

“You just had to get her started?” She loved Krystal, but hearing her pitching for a spot on Yonghwa band was the last thing she needed. The night was already a trial, without her sister’s incessantant insistence. This was definitely going to be a longer night than she realized and it had just begun.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

The launch was as expected. Praise of success showered on Kim Woohyun when it wasn’t his to have. Kim Woohyun hadn’t cooked food out of his own kitchen and sold them at throw away prices just to get his name out in the market. He hadn’t put blood, sweat and tears into their mothers run down restaurant and revived it into a five star establishment. But why would anyone care about the hands of Kim Jae Joong when they could look upon Kim Dong Wook’s expensive suit.

 

It all made her sick, but Hyoyeon persevered even if it meant taking a hit to her ego. All she endured was for her brother who was across the room with Woobin, taking whatever little compliments that came his way. Most of those who bothered with him were food lovers and critics, who were more interested in the genius behind the food than the glitz and glamour the launch party offered.

 

When Jaejoong spotted her sulking in the corner, he made his excuses and made his way over. He knew her presence was all for him and nobody else, but seeing her so uncomfortable and angry always hurt his heart. “Yah, Hyoyeonie, it’s a party can’t you even manage a smile? You’ll scare the guest away if you continue to frown.”

 

“Is there anything to smile about,” she returned knowing her bitterness would sting him, but she couldn’t pretend after what she’d heard earlier. It would be too cynical. “Do you like being his puppet this much.”

 

“Kim Hyoyeon,” he warned, his anger coming through. He allowed her to vent, because he could then console her but she was taking it too far.

 

“What? I’m I lying?” she challenged, knowing it took a lot for Jaejoong to ever show his anger toward her like he was then, but her frustration was too great to care. Yes she understood that Blue Bay achieved something tonight, that her brother achieved something tonight. However, it was all overshadowed by her cousin’s presence and her uncle’s ominous control even without him present.

 

“Why did you come if you were going to be like this?” the words spilled out before he could think them through, but the damage was already done when he saw the tears balancing in her eyes. He shouldn’t have said it. He was the adult and should have known better.

 

“Because my brother is here, why the hell else would I bother,” he voice was cool, even as she saw the regret in Jaejoong’s eyes at the words he’d just spoken. “But since I’m bothering you, I’ll leave. You have Woobin anyway, right?”

 

He tried grabbing her arm to stop her but, she evaded and was gone without a backward glance. He would have gone after her, but a critic cornered him and all he could do was helplessly watch as she stormed away.

 

Why couldn’t she ever understand him?

 

Woobin had watched the entire exchange knowing his two cousins weren’t exchanging any type of pleasantries. Jaejoong didn’t need her being a brat, and Hyoyeon needed someone to vent to so it left him with the task of going after the blond to take the blows his father deserved.

 

“Hyoyeon,” for someone so short her strides sure were fast, forcing him to quicken his longer strides to catch up. “Woman would you slow down,” he asked, finally able to latch onto her arm to bring her to a halt, despite her struggling to break free.

 

“Are you stupid? Let go,” the last person she wanted to see was this punk, but since her luck wasn’t all that great today there he was latching on to her arm.

 

“No,” he breezed, like it was nothing knowing it would enrage her further. But, then again that was his plan, to have her rage at someone and get it out of her system so her and hyung could make up. “Besides, we already established that I don’t mind dying by your hands.”

 

“I’m not in the mood right now.”

 

“Really, I couldn’t tell,” he quipped. “Whatever you want to say to him, say it to me. I’ll pass on the message.”

 

She studied him for a second wondering if he’d lost his mind. “Why would I tell you anything? We are not on that level?”

 

“You just fought with hyung, so you’ll just have to drop to my level. I’m the only one who will listen now,” he pointed out, not mincing his words. She could hate him to the fiery pits of hell if she wanted to, but she was family in his eyes and if she was hurting he wanted to help even if it meant getting his head taken off.

 

 --~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Usually she’d be in there with her husband, brother-in-law and Chairman Choi but tonight she was a wife rather than attorney and strategist. Her place was with the ladies to night. The kids had disappeared to the smaller den, while the men had gone into the study to discuss the Ambassador’s plans for a presidential campaign, leaving them with the living room as theirs after dinner.

 

“The dinner was lovely, Eun Gi, you made a good choice in your housekeeper,” Hyejin complimented, taking dainty sips of her tea, a contrast to her personality in court that was hard hitting and mad dog like.

 

Eun Gi laughed politely, “It was actually through your own housekeeper’s reference that I was able to get her. It’s really all thanks to her.” Her sister in law was never the homemaker type like her, leaving the running of the house in the capable hands of Mrs. Han.

 

“That’s good. I’ll pass the message along,” of course it was her suggestion that Mrs. Han assist her sister in law with the task, but it was polite not to bring up the topic.

 

“I hear you are already planning for Yunho’s marriage,” Sohee mentioned as a means to carry on the conversation, and hopefully steer the conversation the way she hoped it would go. It was really an open ended statement that Hyejin could carry whichever way, but it would give Sohee an opening for suggestion.

 

Hyejin swallowed, not at all surprised the news had reached the woman’s ears. The rich had always been bigger gossip mongers than the tabloids especially when marriage meeting were being arranged. “Yes, he may be young but I want him to get started early,” she was yet to find a girl capable of being part of their household, but she hoped to find one before Yunho headed to the military for his service. “It will be only a year before he enlist. It’s good for him to settle before then,” and prevent any clingy golddiggers from sinking their teeth into him. One too many had already tried.

 

“Any luck?” Eungi queried. Even if her own marriage was arranged, she had no plans to do the same with Jessica and Krystal. Perhaps it was the western way of thinking, but her daughters deserved a choice and she didn’t want to deny them the chance.

 

“Not yet,” Hyejin confessed. Marriage meetings were tiring to arrange, but she was a long way from giving up. “And you Sohee, Soojin is about ready isn’t she?” Truth be told was that she would have been a daft fool not to consider Soojin even once for Yunho. She was pretty, smart and had a good relationship with them through being Jihye’s friend. Having her for a daughter in law wouldn’t be that bad of an idea –if she could only make Sohee consider the prospect.

 

That was the question she was waiting for, and it hadn’t been that long of a wait either, “with her previous choice in consideration, I have to say the thought has crossed her mind.” Her choosing medicine over business was a sign of warning for Sohee, that should her ex comeback her influence on her oldest would not hold if she was determined enough to be with him.

 

Suri knew this was her queue to speak, Hyejin had made the request for her to suggest should the topic of conversation come up and now was as good a time as any. “May I suggest Yunho,” Hyejin was smiling into her cup, which Suri took as her sister-in-laws approval.

 

  --~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Sooyoung had turned out to be a tall brunette with tanned skin, a bright smile and long legs. Her chatting animatedly with everyone spoke of a warm and friendly personality that was able to evoke the first genuine smiles of the night from Jihye and Yonghwa.  It was only when they retired to the small den that the brunette approached her.

 

Despite what she’d observed about the youngest Choi sibling Jessica held a cold defensive air, ready to dismiss her should she find the other girl undesirable.

 

“Jessica, do you mind if I sit with you?” Sooyoung requested even as the blonde looked upon her, it was a narrow distrustful gaze.

 

While everyone else had grouped up when they entered the den –even her younger sister Krystal –Jessica had pulled away from them to sit in a corner. The blonde girl looked content in her solitude, resolved in being an observer, but Sooyoung hadn’t felt right in excluding her even if it was the other girl’s volition.

 

“If you were asked to talk to me, don’t feel forced to do it. I’ll be fine on my own,” her tone was dismissive, but Jessica disliked being someone else’s chore. She didn’t need false sentiment done out of obligation to a parent.

 

Sooyoung deduced that only the truth would get through to the shorter girl. “My father did ask me to make you feel welcomed,” her admittance earned her a triumphant raised eyebrow from the blonde, but that didn’t discourage her from continuing, “but that is not why I’m here.”

 

“Why are you here then?” Jessica didn’t believe anyone would subject themselves willing to converse with her when she’d been nothing but, cold and unwelcoming.

 

“It’s because I know how hard it is to start up in a new country when you barely grasp the cultural difference,” speaking from experience of having to attend middle school in Japan. She’d had to learn the language and culture from scratch, as well as adjusting to a new school with no familiar faces or friends surrounding her. Jessica’s case was only something she could imagin, given that the blonde didn’t have as long a time frame to adjust –she would be starting as a senior. “You don’t have to be my friend if that’s not what you want. Just rely on me if you need help or a conversation.”

 

Jessica waited cautiously for the catch in the other girl’s statement, but found only encouragement in her eyes and hope in her smile. “You studied abroad?” It was a rope, since the girl was trying so hard.

 

A relieved smile pulled a Sooyoung’s lips, taking a seat next the blonde.

 

  --~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

The teens were content on conversing with themselves, and Jihye had disappeared for the better part of an hour after receiving a call from her Kyuhyun leaving her by her lonesome. Rather than interrupting her sister’s conversation with the others to soothe her loneliness, she opted to take the earlier offered house tour. She didn't plan on straying too deep into the house that wasn’t her home, but just down the two corridors lined with paintings and pictures that had caught her eye earlier in the night as they were heading to the den.

She wasn’t much of an art lover nor knowledgeable enough about abstract art to figure out what the painter had meant to portray, but she could admire it nonetheless. The painting she'd landed on earlier and couldn’t move away from was an abstract masterpiece with splotches of vivid reds, yellows, oranges and pinks swirled all over the canvas fading into demure purples and browns and finally into a solid band of black. Soojin couldn’t even hope to suggest what it was meant to convey, but thought it beautiful and distinct against the stark grey of the wall and the silver sprayed antique frame incasing it.

"Like it?"

The abruptness of his voice in the otherwise quiet hallway had her close to jumping out of her skin. She hadn’t even heard him approach.

Yunho hadn’t meant to scare her so intensely. He'd been returning to the den when he noticed her standing alone admiring a painting, and had given into curiosity. “I'm sorry for scaring you. It wasn’t my intention.”

He was earnest and genuine in his apology, leaving her with no choice but to accept it. "It’s fine. I apparently scare much easier than I imagined." Her small joke earned her a relieved smile, as he closed the distance between them and joined her.

 

“So, what do you see?” Yunho questioned, looking at the painting she was fascinated by.

 

“Honestly,” she began, “I see swirls and squiggles of paint, in pretty colour.” It was a brutally honest assessment of her thoughts, even if it was said in jest. He attempt was however enough to make him chuckle.

 

“You’re right,” he conceded, before adding. “That’s honest.” She took it as he’d meant it, and giggled. In their circles not knowing or somewhat understanding art, had one label ignorant and unsophisticated.

  --~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

Author’s Note: Took a while to post this, because I wasn’t really sure where to end it. But this is ep/chapter 2.

[Story Notes] Minor recurring characters introduced in this chapter: I know the mothers section was confusing but for reference:

Attorney Jun Hyejin – Yunho and Jihye’s Mother

Min Eungi – Jessica and Krystal’s Mother

Moon Sohee – Sooyoung and Soojin’s Mother

Jang Suri – Yonghwa’s Mother.

 

The plotline and story is mine. Please do not repost, copy, translate anywhere without consent and plagiarism is a bad thing.

 

Comments would be lovely and greatly wanted, helps me know what you think. Constructive Criticisms is welcomed, because it helps me improve. Flames “to each his own”.