Episode One: Pilot

Affluenza

--~*+*~-:- Episode One| Pilot -:-~*+*~--

 

“Tch, so deceptive this one,” Sooyoung accused once her unnie was far enough to not hear, watching his smile turn into the teasing smirk she was used to. “If she only knew what was behind that smile.”

 

“Ah, why are you saying such things to me on an empty stomach? Makes me want to follow through,” his deep rumble of a voice teased, biting his lip in amusement. He closed the small distance between them, taking her wrist and attempting to pull her toward their intended destination, but finding resistance.

 

Was he crazy? “Yah, Kim Woobin, do you think this is a drama where you drag me around like a rag doll? Do I look like your wife?” She glared, trying to escape the secure grip he had on her wrist.

 

Oh the things she said to him, “Stop making my heart flutter like this–you want to be mine forever?” a smirk plastered on his face as amusement flashed in his eyes, a laugh in his voice.

 

If she didn’t stop him then, he’d go on forever. “Let’s go eat so you can shut up,” finally retrieving her hand to afford him the same favor of wrapping her hand around his wrist and dragging him behind her as she stomped ahead in determination.

 

“So forceful, makes me want to fall for you,” he flirted, escaping her hold and slipping his hand in hers to pull her back so they could walk together side by side. Not letting go of her hand even as she tried to slip it out of his, because it gave him the contentment he’d been missing all morning.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“Where’s the devil spawn, isn’t he coming?” Hyoyeon inquired as they walked through the airport toward their gate, sunglasses covering her eyes to shield her from the glare of the sun. Why the hell the hangover wasn’t simmering down even then being close to midday, she didn’t know. “Tell me he decided to not show up. That would make my day,” nursing a hangover, and having to deal with her smart of a cousin was the last thing she needed.

 

Jaejoong chuckled, “He’ll be coming there later, don’t get too excited.” He understood Hyoyeon anger toward their uncle for what the man had done to them, but extending it to Woo Bin was irrational. Sure, the guy had an air of condescension when he spoke, but it was only to annoy her because it was the only way she interacted with him. Otherwise Hyoyeon ignored him all together. “You have 6 hours to prepare yourself.”

 

“Should I dance?” she grumbled. A whole weekend stuck on an island with that insufferable punk was all she needed. Why did she volunteer to come again? Oh right, she wanted to help her brother. The things he endured for her brother. “If only Jongin was coming as well.”

 

Jaejoong handed the steward the boarding passes, “It would be more painful for him if he came. You know that.” The boy was suffering from Woobin’s rejection, dealing with it for a whole weekend would probably be even worse for the boy’s esteem. Where Woobin was, Jongin couldn’t be –unfortunate but true.

 

“So we should just bend to that idiot’s will? Isn’t it enough with his father?” Their uncle had stolen controlling stock of Blue Bay for them, giving her brother less than he deserved for his work. Now, they had to tolerate his bully of a son condemning his little brother for something that was never in his control? Were they always going to be under their control like this?

 

Jaejoong disliked Woobin’s treatment of Jongin, he truly did. But, a part of him understood the teen. For him, his mother had left because of Jongin’s arrival. He’d lost his mother, and he blamed his brother for it even if it was undeserved. What could they do? They couldn’t change his heart, because that would require Woobin’s mother. “Let’s not discuss this, Hyoyeonie. We’ll end up arguing.”

 

“Because you are letting them get away with it,” Hyoyeon huffed, unable to keep quiet as they settled into their seats awaiting take off. “They took something that is yours, and you’re accepting it. Can’t you be angry?”

 

“You are already angry enough for the both of us.” Was he angry? Of course, but he also didn’t want to lose their remaining family. They’d lost their parents and aunt, all they had left was their uncle and cousins. Cultivating a rift of hate wasn’t something he wanted. “Let’s just leave things as it is, Hyoyeonie please.”

 

“Why am I not enough?” Hyoyeon asked. She knew why Jaejoong didn’t do anything, fooled by their uncle to believe that they needed them. Needed deceptive thieves? Why, couldn’t they survive the two of them? “We could escape him and be okay, just us two. You just don’t want to see it,” stuffing her earphones in her ears, not wanting to hear another excuse from her brother.

 

You are enough, Jaejoong looked at her helpless. To her he was a useless pawn, allowing himself to be used. So blinded by her anger, that she didn’t see not only Jongin needed them, but Woobin as well. His uncle was what he was, things had happened the way they had –it couldn’t be changed. What could change was preventing their cousins to befall the same destiny as their father. It was too cruel for them.

 

You’ll understand one day.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“I thought you were going to Jeju this weekend with Jae-oppa and Hyoyeon,” Sooyoung asked, mixing around her noodles and topping with her chopsticks. She distinctively remembered him teasing her about missing him all weekend because he’d be away.

 

Woobin followed suit with his own bowl of black bean noodle. “It may shock you, but there are three flights a day to Jeju –one in the morning, one at midday and the other at night. I wonder which one I will take?” his snarky comment earning him a glare that made him chuckle more than instill the fear she was going for with it.

 

“You are so lucky I tolerate you,” wanting to be angry, but knowing she’d walked into that one. She, however, wasn’t oblivious to the subtle hint of sadness in his eyes. If she didn’t know him so well, she would have been easily fooled by his smirk, laughter and flirting because he hid it very well under his many layers of protection. “Gwenchana?” She dared, hoping it was casual enough to not have him running behind his layers, even pushing a fair amount of noodles into as she waited.

 

He stalled for a slither of a moment at the query; it wouldn’t be visible for those not looking. But, Sooyoung was looking, and knew him well enough to ask the question in the first place. “I’m eating with you, how can I not be satisfied?” Stuffing his mouth as well, so he wouldn’t get roped in by another question especially when she was looking and asking so earnestly. There was little he could deny her, should she ask.

 

“Woobin-ah –” she began once again, but he cut her off eyes much softer.

 

It hurt when she called his name so gently and affectionately, giving him hope for things he shouldn’t have, at least not yet. “Can we just share a meal and forget the unpleasant things?” with her he felt calm and happy, which made him greedy about the precious moments they shared. He didn’t want anything unpleasant tarnishing the moments with her.

 

She knew to let it go from experience, but she couldn’t when she knew he wasn’t okay. “You’re my f –”

 

“–Don’t,” he interrupted his tone sharp because he didn’t want to hear it, that word, from her. Friend was the last thing he wanted to be to her, when he had been seeing her as a woman for the longest time and had never alluded to wanting anything platonic. Being her friend was closing the door to something else, and he was an all-or-nothing type of guy. “Let’s not eat together today, I’m not hungry.” He was never a coward, but sometimes with her he became one.

 

She should have let him go, but she couldn’t. Covering his hand with hers, she stopped his intention to leave. “You got my unnie to leave, so we can eat together. Are you going to make me eat alone?” Stay, was what she wanted to say, but he’d take it as pity. Kim Woobin didn’t do pity.

 

His pride told him to leave, but her warm hand on his and the subtle request to stay convinced him to remain. “Don’t say I never gave you anything,” he returned to teasing after regaining his bearing, because it was the only way he knew to return to normal.

 

“Your precious time, how generous,” she hit back, relieved that she hadn’t pushed him to erect those walls he usually had in place.

 

He turned his hand and held on to her retracting hand: just a moment longer. “Such a pretty hand, Can I hold it from now on?” caressing her knuckles gently. The words were heavy, confession laced in the question but, he just wanted to know that he had a chance. That she could care more for him than she did then.

 

“You are holding it now,” she replied softly, confused by her own words because he confused her. At times she was sure they were friends and he flirted with her just to get a rise out of her for entertainment. But moments like this made her question whether it was just a joke and whether she saw him differently as well.

 

“Eat a lot, Choi Sooyoung,” he bid with exaggerated aegyo, releasing her hand because he achieved a small step by her admission. For now, it was enough for him, patience wasn’t something he lacked.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

As expected for mid morning, the café traffic was light after a busy morning. Deliveries to nearby offices were done, take away orders filled and in house patrons filtered out leaving a light flow of customers. The lunch preparations had begun for the rush that was sure to come, leaving Boa’s only duty the front room, with Joohyun. The teen hired on a temporary basis during her break to help her since Narae was on maternity leave.

 

“Unnie, there’s one last minute order to Canvas Studios,” Seo Joohyun announced getting off the phone, “Should we wait for Donghae-oppa, or can I deliver them now?” She couldn’t drive, but with the light mid morning traffic, it wouldn’t be hard to make the trip in a taxi. If she hurried she would even manage getting back before the lunch time rush.

 

To be honest the girl was a god-send, responsible and capable of adapting to the routine of the shop quickly –clumsy at times, but not enough to be burdensome. “Can you manage?” Boa asked, looking over the order of sandwiches and coffee. It wasn’t exactly a small feat. “It’s a lot.”

 

“I can take a taxi, it isn’t far. We don’t know how long oppa will take.”

 

“Okay, you can take some money for cab fare from the register, remember to record it,” it would be risky to wait on Donghae, and the earlier they filled the order the better the impression they left with the client. “Amber, help her with the order,” she ordered the tom boy, catching Seunghyun’s eye as he came into the café, busy on the phone.

 

“…I’m at the mug can you come now? I have a meeting in an hour,” Seunghyun told his cousin approaching the counter with a smile. “I’ll be here, Soojin-ah. Remember an hour,” was his last caution as he hung up.

 

“You are actually smiling after talking to another Choi on the phone. Are you sick?” she teased, grabbing a cup and preparing his drink of choice –coffee black, no sugar, having memorized his taste during their university days.

 

Seunghyun raised an unimpressed eyebrow, even though he was smiling. “Can’t I be nice to my cousin?” Sooyoung and Soojin weren’t all that horrible and always treated him with kindness and respect. How could he have any bitter feelings toward them? His problem was Siwon.

 

“So it’s just your brother you don’t like?” Her best friend was never sympathetic toward his brother, treated him like he was a nuisance than a blood relation. His mission focused on taking away everything Siwon had. Part of her understood, but a bigger part wanted him to let it go and begin living for himself instead.

 

A frown unconsciously pulled at his mouth. Just a mention of the punk could dampen his good mood; the only consolation was being that he had won over the idiot yet again. “If you met him, you’d feel the same way?”

 

“I think he’s handsome,” it was said to taunt him, but she wasn’t lying. Choi Siwon was all classic good looks and refinement. A swooning woman’s dream, if you dreamed of the prince charming in dramas.

 

“Have you been sleeping well? You sound delirious,” his only escape from the Siwon gushing was his best friend, her singing Siwon praises even as a joke was something he didn’t want.

 

“He’s made three different lists in women’s magazines for being one of ‘Korea’s Most Eligible Bachelor’. I’m not the only one who sees it.”

 

“Ya, do you want to die? I’m trying to enjoy my coffee and you keep bringing up unpleasant things,” he warned in mock anger, to which she just chuckled. “You think it’s a joke? We should break up on the account you’ve lost your mind.”

 

“Aish, so sensitive,” she murmured with a smile. “And if we break up. It will be me calling quits.” She returning to the counter to serve a waiting customer.

 

Seunghyun could only smile. It was odd that the only place he felt at home, despite the opulent luxury he lived in everyday, was this small café. The only place he could relax, and be himself.

 

“Oppa, annyeonghaseyo,” Soojin greeted, respectfully. He’d been easy to find, given that Choi men were always impeccably dressed and possessed imposing statures. In the café he stood out like a sore thumb. “You haven’t waited long.”

 

Her soft voice and concern almost managed to provide him the same contentment as Boa, which was why he couldn’t be standoffish to her or her sister. “No, I just arrived. Would you like something to drink?”

 

“Is a strawberry milkshake okay?” the three block trek from the shop to the café, had made her slightly thirsty and craving a drink.

 

“Good choice, the milkshakes here are good,” quickly making the order with Amber, before returning his attention on his cousin. “So, what can oppa do for you?” he sipped his coffee leisurely as he waited for her request.

 

He’d been right. The milkshake was undeniable good, not too sweet and not to bland. Just the right balance in flavor, “So you know I’ve been doing an internship with the Choi Foundation, and my last job before I return to school is organizing the Donation Drive Dinner for the medical aid department…”

 

Usually he hated rambling, but he forced himself to listen. She was obviously nervous and trying to lead up to the question. Unlike Sooyoung who asked out right, Soojin was less bold and therefore needed to build up her confidence to ask him. “Do you need my help with organizing?” He wasn’t an event organizer, but he would help to get him points with his uncle and aunt.

 

“No, Sunny helped me with most of it,” she assured, not sure how she would talk him into saying yes. Perhaps Sooyoung being with her would have been a better idea. “I’m actually asking for your participation?” She lacked the tact and charisma to ease someone into agreeing to do something they didn’t want to do. In fact her words sounded like a nonsensical ramble, but she just couldn’t ask outright, could she?

 

“You want me to donate something?” He’d expected something bigger, but donating something to a worthy cause wasn’t all that impossible for him.

 

“Yes,” she smiled nervously, “Actually, a date with you.” Her cousin hated these sorts of events, preferring to avoid the high society princesses at all cost. She was literally asking him to auction off a day with woman he possibly couldn’t stand.

 

This had to be a joke. “I would love to help, but… isn’t this something more up Siwon’s alley?” Being accommodating to spoilt brats for a day was not in his nature. Siwon was the gentleman who would tolerate their nonsense, but not him. He didn’t even want to try.

 

“I already asked and he said yes,” she revealed. “I wouldn’t be asking if I really didn’t need your help. We were hoping to get men and women from the Seoul’s Most Eligible list to boost interest and hopefully get bigger donations.” Yes, it was official she was horrible at negotiation.

 

Of all the things she could ask of him, she had to ask the one thing he would rather die than do? First was dealing with the Gangnam bimbos who would probably have him losing brain cells by the end of the date. Then there was also the obvious comparison that would come from participating in anything Siwon was involved in. And since the goody-goody already agreed, he’d be forced to do the same to not lose face. As if he didn’t despise the guy already, he pushed him to hate him more even on standby.

 

“You would be really saving me, oppa. Please,” Soojin pleaded, giving up on convincing altogether. She wasn’t good at it, and she was losing him fast. “Just think it’s for a good cause.”

 

Boa, who had been obviously eavesdropping, was giving him the eye. The ‘you better do it, if you know what’s good for you’ eyes that he usually gave into despite himself. He couldn’t argue against it being for a good cause, and heck, Soojin was rather cute, “So what do I have to do?” Her hopeful face broke into a brilliant smile at his concession.

 

Boa in the background gave him a thumbs-up of approval, but what had he gotten himself into.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Yunho had thought he’d get at least a week’s break before he had to go to his next marriage meeting, but it seems his lovely mother had other ideas, setting up the next date during lunch the next day. As expected of him, he’d arrived early so she wouldn’t have to wait and wait he did. Jang Soona arriving a whole hour late without a care, her perfume overwhelming forming a choking cloud around her as she flounced in on too high heels, dress questionably short and too much make up on her face. But he didn’t want to judge before he conversed with her, it would be unfair.

 

Standing to greet her, he had already bowed his head politely, “Annyeong –”

 

“–I don’t want to be here just as much as you do,” Soona interrupted him impatiently. She was forced into this even though she’d made her intended prospects to her parents clear. Her eyes were set on much more fruitful pursuit than a mere start up like Jung Yunho. “I have my eyes on a level much higher than you. Understand?”

 

It would have hurt, if he’d felt some sort of initial attraction. But all she’d done is affirm what his subconscious was already telling him. She definitely wasn’t the one, and was even more incompatible than Lee Yeonhee the day earlier. At least the latter had some semblance of manners. “Would you like to order?” He asked with a forced smile, not even wanting to address her thinly veiled insult. It wasn’t even worth a mention.

 

“Choi Seunghyun, that who I want,” she went on going directly for the wine list, forgoing the menu the waiter had tried to hand her. “You just don’t compare right?”

 

Yunho forced himself not to laugh, because it was rude and just mean to do so. Whether by choice or not, at this lunch he was representing his family and not just himself, he couldn’t show disrespect. “It’s a good choice,” returning insult with insult wouldn’t help anyone, so he cheered her on.

 

“It’s good you understand this. I wouldn’t want you to fall for me, when you have no chance,” Soona comforted. It was hard to know he had no chance, but it was better he understood so there was no misunderstanding.

 

Oh, you never have to worry about that, he managed to remain sober even as laughter was bubbling uncontrollably in his chest. The waiter however wasn’t as discreet, letting out a small chuckle of disbelief. “Yes, it is,” it was better to agree with her words, much better for everyone. “I’ll have the steak, please.”

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“How do you think school will be here?” Krystal wondered out loud, while Jessica tried on a dress behind the curtains of the dressing room. “We speak Korean, but we’re still foreigners right?”

 

Jessica could hear the worry in her sister’s voice, but knew she couldn’t placate her because it was a valid concern. They were foreigners in a land that was a homeland to their parents despite knowing the language. There were a few customs they were aware of, but adjusting to another culture was going to be quite the battle, especially when faults would be picked apart by snobby teenagers, who shunned those who stuck out like a sore thumbs. “It’s just going to be like Eden Hills and St. Mary’s –supremacy battles, fake smiles, fickle friends… if we survived those jungles, why can’t we survive these ones?” The truth was better than a sugar coated lie was her belief. Stepping out of the dressing room to assess how the dress fit.

 

“So, it will be you against Sofia Lee and Blake Hadley all over again?” Krystal questioned, remembering vividly the war her sister had waged on the two who had dared to cross her. To say it was ugly would be an understatement. Victory ended up in her sister’s hands. The games and schemes were something she could do without, if anything she wanted to get through high school as event-free as possible.

 

Sofia and her bimbo side-kick had barked up the wrong tree when they thought they could mess with the Korean ambassador’s daughter. Really, it wasn’t even Jessica’s fault she retaliated, because when you rattled a snake you had to prepare to get bitten. “That all depends,” the dress fit right, but the color washed her out too much. “If they stay out of my way, I won’t bat an eyelash.”

 

“Is it so hard to walk away?” The power battles never made sense to her when all could be avoided if one party was big enough to walk away.

 

Krystal surprised her with her naivety. Did she honestly think it was just elementary turf wars? No, she wasn’t socialite to battle over trivial things like popularity. It was setting things straight, establishing that she wouldn’t be walked over. “They view it as weakness…” walking away was admitting defeat, simple as that. “Look Krys, you don’t have to be like me. In fact, don’t ever be like me. But, for me, I can ever let anyone assume I’m a pawn.”

 

“With such a prickly disposition, I wonder how they’d ever imagine that,” Jessica wasn’t exactly a cuddly kitten you could sadistically kick when you felt like it. She was a ferocious cat that lashed out when cornered.

 

Jessica smirked, “Delusions are built on one’s imagination.” It was scary when stupid people tried to think. But, on to lighter matters. “Should I go with champagne or burgundy? I feel the white is washing me out.”

 

“Burgundy –it’s the color of war right?” Krystal mocked, getting a glare for her trouble. Crimson was war, but burgundy was close enough.

 

“Did you send in your audition tapes?” she asked, deciding to change the topic. Krystal had been hush-hush about her audition. God knows she’d inadvertently listened in on her sister singing three to four times a day, trying to do her best for the recording.

 

“Yes. I’m waiting for a response,” Krystal sighed, anxious about not hearing back from the agency. Yes, they’d told her they’d get back to her in 2 weeks, and it had barely been 4 days. The lack of communication wasn’t comforting. “They said two weeks.”

 

Jessica ped the dress grabbing the second choice she’d picked from the rack. “Then we’ll wait,” it wasn’t the most comforting thing to say, but it was the only thing to say. Krystal was talented, born to be a performer and Jessica didn’t doubt someone would acknowledge it. She just had to be patient. “You’re going to get a response, if not this agency then another one. Patience isn’t your virtue, Krys, but you need to be patient,” cupping her sister’s cheek tenderly in comfort. “Now, do you want to go with the grey or blue?” entering the dressing room once again.

 

“Blue, I have shoes to match,” she sighed, put out by the situation.

 

“Krys, stop thinking about it,” Jessica ordered because even within the confines of the cubical, she could tell her little sister was still dwelling on not getting a quick response.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~-

-

Okay perhaps Yoona had lied slightly, when she’d suggested it was a Victoria only photo shoot to get her brother to help. Victoria would still be there for him to ogle at like the love struck fool he usually was in her presence, just that he would have to help a fair amount of debutants to get to her. Yoona had been lucky to get the job from the foundation, and it would definitely open doors for her as the photographer she wanted to become.

 

“You do realize your lie will make me never trust you again,” Changmin grumbled dropping the heavy ornate chair with no real care for it. He’d been duped, by his baby sister. He, a grown man, intelligent and who should know better got raked in to help her with more than he would have liked.

 

Yoona smiled, “I didn’t lie. I gave you the necessary information that would work in my favor. It’s not my fault you are embarrassingly smitten with Victoria to dig deeper.” Oh please, he was slier than she was when given the opportunity and he was feeling slighted when it was turned around on him.

 

“Tch, this kid is bold. Be grateful you were born a girl,” if she was male, she would have definitely felt his wrath. But the he had the fortunate luck of having a pretty little sister. “What’s all this for again?” He asked beginning on the lighting.

 

“If lucky a possible spread in SeouLux magazine,” it could very well end up that way if Mrs. Moon liked her work and choose her pictures to be part of the official press release, and therefore leading to a possible internship with Legacy Publishing. “But for now we will be taking photos of the items, the bachelors and bachelorettes that are going up for auction.”

 

“Really? Auctioning people?”

 

“More like exclusive, one-on-one dates designed by them,” Yoona explained, “A date with the guy or girl of their dreams, who would otherwise not give them the time of day. This is actually an opportunity for you, since Victoria is one of the bachelorettes.” He would probably have to contend with trust fund brats and possibly breaking the proverbial bank to get an opportunity, but he had a chance. It was really his fault for falling for someone so pretty and kind.

 

“I don’t need to buy my dates. If I wanted to ask a girl out, I’d just ask her,” he didn’t even consider it an opportunity. When he finally asked Victoria Song out on a date, it wouldn’t be through an auction.

 

It was pretty honorable, if he wasn’t shocked speechless every time the woman was in speaking distance. To be honest it was rather painful to watch. “Okay, we’ll just wait another life time for that then,” stepping back to look over the set up.

 

“You think I can’t do it?”

 

“I’m just going by past experience. With girls you don’t crush on you are relatively normal, but with girl you like you are walking, talking ball of shy awkwardness who can’t manage to put a word together, let alone a sentences.”

 

“That’s an exaggeration.”

 

Really now? “Ah, Victoria unnie annyeonghaseyo,” she pretend to greet the woman, and as expected her bumbling brother backed into a tripod promptly sending it crushing to the ground in a loud clatter, as he tried to catch a glimpse of her. “You were saying?”

 

“Shut up,” he’d been emasculated enough without her rubbing it in. Yes, he was a bumbling fool for girls he liked, lacking any sort of courage. But, it wasn’t something he couldn’t overcome eventually.

 

“I don’t even understand how you could be all cool and collected on a regular basis, but become a village idiot in front of the one person you are supposed to impress.”

 

He was ready to tell her to drop the subject once again, but a squeaking screech of tires interrupted them. “Annyeonghaseyo, I’m from the mug delivering your order,” the girl announced before tripping over her feet, only to be saved by Changmin from biting the ground.

 

The guy was a serious anomaly, Yoona concluded as his save and chivalrous concern provoked a blush on the teenager’s face. “How much do I owe you?”

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“Young Master,” Ara called, knocking on Jongin’s door that had remained closed even after his brother had left. The boy was suffering, living in an empty castle filled with expensive things and all he needed, except for what he wanted most –his father’s attention and brother’s love. It had already made the boy closed off with every rejection and neglect. She could only imagine what this latest rejection had done to him. “Young Master, I’ve made your favorite dish. Would you at least try it?”

 

Silence –it was never good when he sat alone with his thoughts, deepening the already existing scars. She honestly wished she could cross the lines and defy Kim Wooyoung’s rules of keeping a professional distance, but getting kicked out and away from him would be even worse.

 

Jongin couldn’t help but wonder if things would have been different had his mother survived the accident. He would have never known he had a brother or gotten rejected by him constantly. He wouldn’t have to live in this big house with a man who knew nothing about affection and saw no shame in bringing his many women to the house.

 

Caressing the picture of his mother, he allowed a tear to fall. I wish you were here. It was easier to cry in the dark when no-one was watching.

 

Young Master, please have something to eat. You haven’t eaten anything since last night. You’ll get sick,” even in his warped mind, it was easy to tell that her worry was genuine. Nothing could replace his mother, but Ara’s affection sometimes made it easier. She was only allowed to do this much. His father saying none of his son’s would be weakened by a maid’s misguided attention.

 

But she was the one that was there when he got home from school, and asked him about his day.

 

She was the one that made sure he ate all his meals, standing vigil so he wouldn’t feel alone in the vast dining room.

 

She took care of him when he was sick, and remained awake and attentive until he was better.

 

It was only not to worry her further that he unlocked the door and swung it open for her. His stomach was grumbling even though he didn’t feel hungry, watching her closely as she placed it on the table. It smelled good, anything she personally cooked always tasted better than the highly trained chief his father hired because she actually cared. “Did you make it yourself?”

 

“By my own hands,” she confirmed unable to stop the small smile tugging at her lips. “Please eat well,” she bid him heading for the door.

 

“Go-sshi, stay with me?” he didn’t want to eat alone. The only warmth he’d felt since seeing his hyung that morning was her presence, he didn’t want to lose it yet.

 

“Of course, Young Master.”

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

This time there was no silver lining, the lunch was a complete disaster. There were very few people he dislike or annoyed him, but Jang Soona surely loved pushing his buttons. Not only was she self absorbed but also vapid, unable to converse about anything other than herself, and how much she and Seunghyun matched. From what he knew of Seunghyun-hyung, she was grasping at straws with him.

 

His afternoon however was looking up. Even though it involved helping Changmin help his sister set up for a photo shoot she was hired for, it was more stimulating than Jang Soona ever would be. “So how did you get roped to do this again?” Yunho asked his friend as they carried in yet another vase.

 

“I volunteered,” Changmin refused to admit the truth to Yunho, because getting teased by one of the most naïve men out there for getting doped by his sister would be the end all, be all of humiliation.

 

Yunho believed him as far as he could throw him, but the answer to his question walked in as if on cue. “Ah, so it has nothing to do with the Ambassador’s daughter?” as expected Changmin stiffened as he tried to come up with a lie to tell. Yah, the kid was really cute when he had a crush on somebody –all awkward and unsure, when he was usually cocky and sarcastic.

 

“Are you saying I can’t do anything without motive?” Changmin easily got on the defensive. Was it really that obvious where his reasons of helping lay.

 

He wasn’t even trying to hide it anymore, was he? Even as he denied it, the younger male was inching toward the back to escape, “Leave the house to do manual labor willingly? Are you even trying to lie?”

 

“Maybe I’m just being a nice oppa to my dongsaeng, like you are with Jihye.”

 

“Should I call her over so we can confirm this?” Yunho challenged, with a raised eyebrow to see if he would carry on the lie. Like clockwork Changmin dropped the false nonchalant, and the ‘I’m a good oppa’ act and him with panicked eyes.

 

“Do you want to die?” The last thing he needed was tripping over his feet or becoming nervously silent around her.

 

“Well at least you stopped lying,” Yunho laughing, patting his best friend’s shoulder in comfort even if all he got was a scowl for his effort. “Yah, it’s not that bad. It’s actually kind of cute how nervous you are around her.”

 

Was he teasing him about something so serious? So much for a best friend, “Shut up,” Changmin demanded as he stormed off.

 

“Aish, Changdola don’t be like this. Hyung was just joking,” Yunho tried apologizing, but it appeared less sincere because of the laughter laced in his words. He couldn’t help it, indignant Changmin was precious.

 

“Oppa,” Yoona called to catch his attention just as Changmin disappeared round the corner, Victoria in tow. “This is Song Victoria-ssi, do you mind showing her to the changing rooms in the back. I was looking for Min-oppa but he seemed to have disappeared.” Please, her brother totally high tailed it out of there at the sight of the woman. Lord, help them all if the guy didn’t get over his crush.

 

“Ah, sure,” Yunho could see the exasperation on Yoona’s face at her brother’s situation, but chose to ignore it, “If you’ll follow me, Victoria-ssi.”

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“Wait, Choi Seunghyun actually agreed to be an auction Bachelor? Are you sure you asked the right brother?” Sunny inquired in disbelief because it had to be a joke, right? Seunghyun hated mixing with trust fund brats and spoilt bimbos, and he agreed to get auctioned off to one of them. Either she drank too much and was really losing brain cells, or she’d walked into the twilight zone.

 

“Yah, are you asking if I’m stupid? I asked him and he said he would,” Soojin feigned anger, she didn’t really feel. “What matters is we have the top five most eligible bachelors in Seoul in our line-up.”

 

“I was going to miss the event, but seeing Ice Prince Seunghyun get auctioned off, is worth the torture,” This was a ‘seeing, is believing’ event, one not to miss. Even if she’d rather send her donation via mail and avoid the gala altogether, it would definitely be worth all the priming to see which debutante he’d end up with. “Bonus if it Jang Soona. That girl has always had a crush on him.”

 

That would be a disaster. Jang Soona was the definition Gangnam beauty with no brains. She was a pretty package but, an impressive airhead. An airhead that found Seunghyun stoic nature, desperately appealing, “The first time I gather courage to ask him for anything and, he agrees, you wish his worst nightmare on him?”

 

“If you want, I’ll bid on him so he doesn’t avoid you for a lifetime,” It wasn’t a bad investment now that she considered it. He was good looking, disliked pretentiousness and she’d be doing a good deed.

 

“Just when Jang Soona remains as the only bidder,” squeezing the shorter females arm affectionately.

 

“Deal,” Sunny sighed in false exasperation. “Just remember this is how much I love you,” first helping with a party, then going to a party. Yah she was really become a trust fund brat for her friend. “Jihye, is she coming?”

 

Soojin wished the tall brunette was coming, but her two friends disliked such events as much as Seunghyun mainly because of the tittering gossips that made up the upper class female population. Attending her aunt’s ‘We’re Back’ dinner was already a big thing for her; Soojin couldn’t imagine her attending another party the following weekend. “She’s filing papers, but since I’m seeing her tomorrow I’ll try to convince her otherwise.”

 

“How are things at home?”

 

“My dad is grudgingly accepting, but my mother… I keep waiting for her to announce that she’s looking for a husband for me,” Her father wasn’t happy about the choice, but grudgingly accepted that her being a doctor wasn’t a bad thing. He’d really hoped one of his daughter’s would follow in his footsteps. But Sooyoung being the headstrong one had spelled out that she would either be a writer or designer, with little interest in leading a conglomerate, but maybe the publishing house and Soojin seeing her path in medicine. Her mother barely talked to her let alone looked at her. Every moment together was tense… “But, at least the semester is starting up next week, so I don’t have to bare her disapproval.”

 

It was times like this that Sunny was even more grateful for her parents less overbearing hand. Perhaps it was because she was more outspoken about her wants than Soojin, that it left no room for argument for the alternative, or they believed her capable enough to make her own decisions. “Once she realizes her daughter is becoming a doctor, she’ll ease up.”

 

“She’s realized it, hence the internship at the foundation. If not C&C Legacy, she wants me at The Choi Foundation taking over after her.”

 

“What do you want?” Soojin held back so much at times, so she wouldn’t start conflict. Heck, the most she’d ever done for herself was taking medicine instead of business in college. Out of her best friend’s, it was Soojin that was softest in nature which ended with her agreeing to things she wouldn’t otherwise. She always forgot about what she wanted.

 

Soojin was ambitious despite what people thought, she’d planned her life in her head. By age 14 she’d known she wanted to be a doctor. After a residency at hospital, her wildest dream was to work for Doctors without Borders. “To stand on my own,” Aish, you even chickened out from telling your best friend?

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Even though the hours were long and job trying, Jihye couldn’t help feel accomplished after at day at the office. Her hours would be lighter starting next week with her semester starting up. The only thing she hoped now –

 

“…stand her. Are you really that surprised that she’d being favored? Her being here is unfair enough. Our positions, we got through hard work. Hers was received through name flashing and arm twisting.” It didn’t surprise her to be talked about behind her back, speculation being spread around the building about her back door tactics of winning her internship. They were never friendly to begin with and gave her the cold shoulder at every turn. It had bothered her at first, but she soon learnt to turn a deaf ear to the words and instead work to prove her worth to the people that mattered.

 

Even in this building, the reach of the rich is always felt. All the spoilt brat had to do was show a little rebellion and her mother was on the phone to get her princess-diseased child her hearts wish. It’s sickening,” ah, the other tired gossip. Her mother barely looked at her for her decision to intern with the Public Prosecutor’s office instead of the family law firm, why would she use reverse sociology? When it comes to matters at home her mother was always direct. They however didn’t care for the truth, instead believing on sensational nonsense. Jihye had, had to argue her way to an interview, to get an interview just for possible consideration, all on her own.

 

Have any of you considered that she may have done it through merit? If you bothered to check, she’s top of her class. Instead of insulting her, why don’t you just do the task you were assigned and stop being bitter,” That was certainly a change. Usually it was insult after insult before they tired of tearing her down and got to work, which was when she walked in and started working. The voice was one she hadn’t heard before and in defense of her nonetheless.

 

So what, you think if you defend her she’ll put in a good word for you. Tch, give me a break,” That sounded more plausible than defense without reward. Was that what he wanted? To befriend her like Cha Jiyong so he could get ahead.

 

Lawyers, isn’t that what you want to achieve with your studies? Then why do you think she’s guilty without a trial or evidence? Is it because she intimidates you? The reason Attorney Yoo chose her to attend the litigation, was because it was deserved. As for me, I don’t like gossiping about stupid things like these out of jealousy. If you want a chance, prove yourself.”

 

The punk knows how to talk. Being the nephew of the former attorney general must have its benefits, eh Cho?” It was Shin Junsu, a girl who thought she needed to be a loud mouth to stand tall.

 

Jihye chose that moment to walk in, files in hand pretending to not have heard anything.

 

“Jung, aren’t you going greet your fellow sly fox?” Baek Dohyun announced in sarcastic flare that made her want to practice the punch her brother had taught her a long time ago, but she forced herself to be calm.

 

Of course the guy would make an even bigger of himself than he already was, rolling his eyes he turned to the tall brunette who’d just walked in. “I’m Cho Kyuhyun,” The way they tattled on he’d expected an entitled brat who wore to much make up, not enough clothes and drenched in putrid perfume. But, he was startled to find a simply but sharply dress woman, who looked just as thrilled by the guy’s stupidity as he was.

 

“Jung Jihye, let’s work well together,” she offered him a small smile. To be honest she hadn’t expect the bold man to be… on the nerdy side, with a mop of brown hair on his head, tall but lanky and bow tie to boot. He was certainly an interesting character.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“The Khans called and asked us to prepare for a formal signing of the contract on Monday as agreed,” Secretary Lee dictated. “Your photo shoot for the charity auction is at 5p.m today at Canvas Studios, and CEO Kim of Sapphire called to confirm the meeting you’d set for 9p.m tonight.”

 

Siwon couldn’t help snigger, “What, Seunghyun didn’t have time to hijack that meeting too?” He sounded bitter to his own ears but he couldn’t help it. The younger male had stolen the meeting with the Khan’s, why not go further and take the meeting with Kim Woohyun while he was at it. “What do you think of my little brother’s craftiness? It’s quite impressive, right?” more sarcasm dripping in his words.

 

Sungmin knew he was stepping over boundaries to even consider the question. The brothers were definitely not what you’d call close, far from it. Constantly they worked against each other instead of together –despite Siwon excluding himself form it, he was just as guilty as Seunghyun deliberate actions. He could only imagine the full on war that would occur when the bigger piece of the cake that was C&C Legacy at stake, and not the mere piece that was C&C Luxury they were currently squabbling over. “Was it the Vice President that facilitated the accounts acquisition?”

 

“After changing my schedule to prevent a ‘catastrophe’, he told me,” Siwon laughed in confirmation. “You know what’s more…frustrating? That his contract is solid and was better for Luxury than I want to admit.”

 

“Then it’s good right?” Sungmin concluded even though he knew the real frustration was his brother one-upping him yet again, and not the deal itself.

 

Siwon couldn’t argue against it, “I thought this competition he’d forced on us wouldn’t affect me, but…” it was too absurd to even think it out loud, let alone acknowledge it.

 

“You hate losing,” Sungmin supplied easily, getting a surprised look from the heir, which he returned with a raised eyebrow daring him to deny his words.

 

“Why does he have to do this?” Once again he knew not to argue against the perspective secretary, since it was a grudgingly true assessment.

 

“To prove himself,” Siwon spent too much time battling the guy, instead of looking deeper to try and understand him, “To him, your father and to you.”

 

“Me, why?” he was confused. Didn’t his dongsaeng hate him? Why work to prove anything to him.

 

“You don’t take him seriously. The CEO position would have always been yours by default, if Soojin and Sooyoung forfeited. He was never considered, was he?” Siwon was so focused on being wronged that he didn’t stop to think why it was happening.

 

No, he wasn’t, but that wasn’t enough for Siwon. “Doesn’t excuse what he’s doing. He’s jeopardizing the company. Why not approach it cleanly?”

 

“Because you never bend the rules, do you President?” he gave the young president more to consider.

 

“Just what are you saying, Secretary Lee? Should I do the same thing?” He demanded, incredulous at the suggestion. Rules were made to be followed to avoid repercussions from doing the contrary. The constant rule breaking and bending wouldn’t always be beneficial. If Seunghyun refused to understand this, then it was up to him to make sure they didn’t receive back lash.

 

“Not necessarily. That is his way, while yours is following the rules. Neither gives absolute results, which is why the benefit is combining both methods. It’s better for the company in the end,” Sungmin cleared. Seunghyun bent the rules, never too much to be irresponsible, but enough to raise eyebrows. Siwon was by the book with little room for deviation. If they combined Seunghyun’s nature of thinking outside the box, while employing Siwon’s reining in ability, the two would be even more successful.

 

He did want to find a middle ground, but Seunghyun had to want it too. “How can you shake someone’s hand when they only offer you a fist?”

 

“By being the one to make him unclench his fist,” Sungmin suggested, which in other words meant compromise. “I’ll leave first.”

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“One last frame,” Yoona called, Siwon falling into one final pose as she the shutter to capture it. “That’s it. Thank you, Siwon-ssi.”

 

Siwon gave her an understanding dimpled smile, “I’ll have to leave right now. Tell Soojin-ah, that I’ll send over the jacket to her tomorrow. I have a meeting to go to now,” already on his feet and turning on his phone to check for any messages. Who knew, Seunghyun might have pulled another fast one and taken the meeting with CEO Kim while he was unavailable. He wouldn’t put it past him.

 

“No problem,” Yoona smiled, giving him a respectful bow as he rush out, bidding Yunho, Sunny and Changmin goodbye as he left. He met Jihye at the door that was on her way in, giving her a brief hello before leaving.

 

“Jiji, you look tired,” Yunho observed his little sister practically shuffling her feet over to them, before plopping down next to him and placing her head on his shoulder. He was proud of her wanting to do it on her own, but not at the expense of her health.

 

Jihye sighed, “I feel it too. From now the hours will be short. It’s not a problem.” The job itself wasn’t stressful as one could imagine, it was more her co-workers adding the strain with their constant stupidity. But, at least Kyuhyun was there as well now and assignments were easier to finish between the two of them.

 

“The concert, are you sure you want to go?” Sunny asked her tired friend. Her hangover had managed to subside through the course of the day, but Jihye looked dead on her feet.

 

“I made a promise to a dongsaeng. I can’t break it,” it was something she never did, nor did she want to even do. “Can you boozy?” she added a tease that got a kick from Sunny.

 

“Are you jealous I drink well? Aish, just one night of fun and I’m a drunk,” Sunny grumbled. Fine she over did it, but she didn’t have a problem. It was a one off that she got a hangover. “We are only waiting for Youngie? Soojin said she’d try to make it after putting back everything in storage, but it not possible anymore.”

 

“Sooyoung’s coming?” Yoona’s ears peaked up at the sound of her classmate’s name: classmate who had been instrumental in getting this particular gig for her. With Sooyoung she was a friendly popular girl who in theory was approachable, but in reality was extremely hard to approach. Yet, it would be extremely beneficial if she stuck close to the youngest of the Choi sisters. She knew it sounded disgustingly opportunistic, but she honestly liked the girl a lot since Hyoyeon had introduced them. She just didn’t see why she couldn’t use all opportunities afforded to her.

 

Changmin was the first one to spot the dazed brunette when she walked, “Yah, shikshin. Do you think you’re royalty? Why are you so late?”

 

“How can you ask if I’m royalty after you just called me a deity?” Sooyoung returned when she recovered, walking in with a smirk on face. She had to give him points for trying, but she was just better. “So, are we leaving right now? Unnie said she won’t come,” throwing an arm round Sunny’s shoulders. “Yoona are you finished with everything? We can wait.”

 

Yoona was shocked to be addressed by the girl. “I just have to pack up my laptop and camera then we can go?” She only ever got invited when Hyoyeon was around, but this time she was invited to tag along personally.

 

She counted it as progress.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Black Diamond was filing up nicely, word of mouth and fliers having done their job to bring in the patrons. Jinki and Yonghwa reserved a table for seven for their special VIPs who were yet to arrive, but were nothing to worry about.

 

“Did you invite Jessica?” Jinki asked adjusting the mic for a sound check.

 

Yonghwa gave a lazy smile, strumming a few notes on the electric guitar to test the sound. “You still like her, Jessica?” He was usually taken lightly for being too laid back, but it gave him the advantage of being observant and perceptive. That perception revealed Jinki’s obvious crush on his cousin, it was clear as day with every visit. His friend would say he’s over it, but he still asked after her and got ridiculously goo-goo eyed when in her presence.

 

“I’m just assuming. You invited Yunho and Jihye, right?” It was out of habit, at least that was what Jinki told himself and he was sticking to it. Months had passed since he’d seen her; a lot could change during that time period.

 

“So then why didn’t you ask about Krystal also,” Yonghwa pointed out, because it was too obvious he had specified only Jessica.

 

“I thought it was obvious.”

 

“I haven’t seen her yet to invite her. But you’re other crush will be here, Jihye-noona.”

 

Aish, each and every time he still brought that up. Yes, he had a crush on Jihye, like any growing teenager would have on a woman he found beautiful. “That was in middle school. You’ve got to let it go, just like I forgot your crushes.”

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll introduce you Monday,” Yonghwa offered, with a knowing smile. “Ready to do this?” Seeing Heechul signaling them about start there set, since the bar was full enough to begin.

 

Jinki smiled much brighter than he should have, “Let’s do well -Fighting!”

 

Yunho, Changmin, Sunny, Jihye, Yoona and Sooyoung arrived in the middle of the first song. Of course Sooyoung and Sunny were the loudest ones there joined with Yoona, drowning out the other screaming fan girls in the club.  Sooyoung even managed to open the dance floor pulling Yunho and Yoona along to join her, and revving up already good gig. Completely drowning any of the doubt and nerves Jinki and Yonghwa had, instead they fought to not to laugh. Jihye and Sunny cheering them on loudly, while Changmin nursed a beer trying to pretend he didn’t know any of them.

 

But at that moment they weren’t future heirs or privileged children. They were a group of young people out to have fun with few worries in the world like the others in the club.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

[Story Notes]Canvas Studios: It’s a small photo studio that Yoona co-owns with other photographers they use for their clients. Yoona in this chapter was using it to shoot the pictures of the auction items, bachelors and Bachlorettes for the catalogues to be handed at the Charity event. Yoona and Changmin aren’t chaebols, but are certainly rich.

 

Minor recurring characters introduced in this chapter: Go Ara, Seo Joohyun, Cho Kyuhyun & Lee Sungmin

 

Author’s Note: It’s not the most fast paced chapter, but it’s setting the pace and dynamics between the different families and characters. The next one will be better

 

The plotline and story is mine. Please do not repost, copy, translate anywhere without consent and plagiarism is a bad thing.

 

Comments would be lovely and greatly wanted, helps me know what you think. Constructive Criticisms is welcomed, because it helps me improve. Flames “to each his own”.