The Chois

Affluenza

--~*+*~-:- The Chois -:-~*+*~--

 

A sweet dream, all interrupted by the annoying buzzing of her phone. Did people not know her? Sooyoung wasn’t a morning person during the holidays; in fact she pushed serious irritability, also known as PMS, until about midday before she was everyone’s cheerful princess, “Do you want to die?” was her greeting when she finally answered her phone.

 

Good morning to you too, Princess,” Yonghwa chuckle came through the phone, “Bad time?”

 

“It’s before…”she pulled the phone away to peer at the screen for the time, “8 on a holiday. I ask again, do you want to die?” School was starting up again, meaning waking up at the crack of dawn, and he had her waking up at 7:30 on her last Friday of winter holidays to be cute?

 

I’m playing at the Black Diamond tonight. Will you come?”

 

Was he kidding? “This couldn’t be asked at midday?” This wasn’t exactly a pressing, life or death question, why would he ask her when she was half asleep and annoyed. Midday she’d be most agreeable, 7:30 she was the Grinch that stole happiness.

 

Jin and I will be in the recording studio in a while, so…” Recording meant falling off the grid for her two friends. The world literally ceased to exist when Yonghwa and Jinki lost themselves to music.

 

“Fine, I’ll go if you hang up now.”

 

I love you too, Youngie,” was his farewell as he finally hang up, and letting her go back to sleep. He so owed her food for this, and dessert. She wouldn’t accept anything less than two servings or he’d really be dead.

 

As if to punish her for being a good friend, Mrs. Han came into the room to inform her that breakfast would be ready in half an hour, and her parents expected her presences promptly. Forget a meal; he would be buying her food for the first month of school with no complaints.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“This is a beneficial deal to all. We need luxury villas like your own to partner with us, and you need C-Global Marketing and Communication to sell your brand to the right people in the region,” Seunghyun sold his pitch in a velvety baritone to the potential partner. “Our package has even been discounted for you by 10%. C&C Luxury will also be doing supplementary marketing for you through the packages we plan to offer that are inclusive of stays at your villas.”

 

The Indian man looked skeptical, “What about your dealings with the Sapphire Group? They’ve began encroaching on our territory aggressively. How will putting ourselves in bed with our competitor help us?”

 

“Simple. You have majority stake in the greater South East Asia region, while Sapphire has sporadic niches in China, Japan and Korea only. Their delivery is limited for us in comparison to yours. Sure you might have to share spoils with them on occasion but, not above or beyond what you already do. Black Legacy, your preferred charter of choice is grouped under us, which means you won’t be forking over booking fees for jets, car services and yachts when your clients choose to use those services meaning retention of capital you would have used on it. Tell me that don’t sound lucrative to you?” He argued easily, not even blinking an eye as he window-dressed the reality. Sure Villa Rhea had stake in South East Asia, but Sapphire’s strategic and aggressive expansion to the Middle East and Caribbean had seen them become much more profitable. But, in Asia at the moment the preferred choice was ageless elegance associated with the Villa Rhea name, something about the generations of being in service adding to the experience.

 

The brothers spoke among themselves or a few moments, before the eldest of the three spoke, “We shall review the contract more extensively with our lawyers, if all agreed terms are confirmed to be covered in it. We’ll sign.”

 

“Excellent,” Seunghyun gave them a small smile because the action offered assurance. “Shall I expect your answer on Monday?” He didn’t think they’d be stupid enough to let a good deal like the one he offered go, the question was more of a formality.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Siwon was honestly fed up with the constant push and pull with his brother. He didn’t understand why it was impossible for them to work together when both wanted the same thing in the end –C&C Legacy’s prosperity. Yet the man sabotaged his efforts, stole away his meetings or went behind is back to make deals without his approval he couldn’t turn down because they were good. Today was no different, with Seunghyun slyly changing his schedule so he would meet the Villa Rhea reps in his stead. He arrived just in time to see Seunghyun shaking hands with the reps after obviously closing the deal, even having the audacity to smirk triumphantly at him as he ushered the men into their waiting car.

 

“Why would you do this?” Siwon asked in barely controlled frustration, at his unnervingly calm step brother.

 

Seunghyun sniggered, “Other than preventing a catastrophe, its fun to see you frustrated.”

 

“A catastrophe; you just closed the deal, it couldn’t have been all that bad,” his argument other than the latter statement made no sense.

 

“You were going to spend more money than was necessary on this deal,” Seunghyun stepped closer to his slightly older brother, straightening his tie in mock kinship. “They need us, we don’t necessarily need them. Your sad excuse of a contract would have given them the upper hand. I just crossed your T’s and dotted your I’s, be grateful,” How were they even related?

 

Slapping the taunting hands off him in annoyance, Siwon spoke. “You didn’t do this for me, so don’t pretend.”

 

“You’re right,” Seunghyun’s deep voice confirmed with a playful smile, he wasn’t that dim after all. “I was making sure you don’t lose me money, while I convince our dear uncle that he would be making a grave mistake in choosing you as President and giving me mere VP status,” his face twisted in a disgusted scorn, not believing he could ever be second best to the punk.

 

“It’s my birthright–”

 

“–No, it’s Soojin’s, but her forfeit put succession up in the air for the fittest to claim –Me. Your spoilt brat mentality might delude you into thinking it’s yours for being such a good little legitimate boy. But, I have just as much right as you, illegitimate son or otherwise.” The goody two shoes never quiet managed to call him a bastard outright, but he surely slipped the birthright nonsense in every time he could to allude to it.  But, he refused to be ashamed by it. His mother had him despite the stigma, and for that he would always love and honor her by holding his head high, legitimate son be damned.

 

Siwon would have contradicted his words, but Seunghyun’s phone rang and the man easily chose to answer it over the conversation they were having at the moment.

 

“Yeobseyo, Soojin-ah. What can oppa do for you?” Seunghyun answered with pleasantness he never afforded the other man, stepping away.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Breakfast was a tense affair to say the least, Soojin shooting nervous looks at their mother, while the latter pointedly ignored her conversing with their father over various matters concerning the foundation and investments. Sooyoung chose to concentrate on her food knowing it just wasn’t the time be cute, no one was in the mood.

 

“Ambassador Jung and his wife are having a dinner to announce their return to Korea tomorrow night. We will attend,” Choi Jungnam announced, not leaving any room for negotiation. A lot of business would be discussed the following night, and it would do well for his family to continue to maintain a good rapport with all the Jungs, from the parents down to the children, “Sooyoung-ah.”

 

“Ne appa,” she answered after swallowing her mouthful of food, full attention on her father awaiting instruction because he used the business tone he used when he was going to give her a directive to follow.

 

“His eldest daughter, Jessica, is your age. Can I expect you to make her feel welcome?” he requested knowing it wasn’t an impossible feat for his youngest, given that she was always outgoing and friendly in nature and would help the girl feel right at home. As well as secure ties with the Jungs of course.

 

“Don’t worry appa. I’ll do my best,” her memory of the girl in question was sketchy at best, since she came to Korea infrequently and even then they rarely crossed paths. The only ones she was familiar with were Jihye –a friend of her sister, Yunho –Jihye’s friendly older brother and Yonghwa was a close friend and classmate, but despite it all, she would do as she was requested by her father. She could only hope the girl was just as receptive and agreeable.

 

Her mother took the opportunity to speak, “Soojin-ah, you should go get a new dress picked out with Sooyoungie for tomorrow night.” There wasn’t much she could do about her oldest daughter’s chosen path, it was a year too late but she would make sure she had an appropriate husband even if it required a light subtle nudging, starting with her putting more effort in her appearance.

 

Soojin would have argued against it, but decided not to –a dress wouldn’t kill her. “Ne omma,” the uproar of her choice of medicine over business in university had placed her in a precarious position with her mother for not following tradition, and she didn’t want to rock the boat with another unnecessary argument when the dust had just began to settle. At least it was a consolation from the possible marriage meeting she had imagined, this was just shopping to keep up appearances.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

After trying dress after dress and modeling them for her dongsaeng for approval as per her mother’s instruction, Sooyoung finally settled on a green one, which wasn’t a bad choice in her opinion, dark enough for the event with a youthful but classy cut, and the emerald color gave it character.

 

“I think we should get lunch,” Sooyoung suggested as her unnie paid for the purchase, earning her the first laugh of the day from her sister. It was clear that their mother’s coolness was beginning to weigh on her unnie, even if it had been a whole year since she made her course selection. If her insatiable appetite helped then she was more than willing.

 

“Eat? Yah, Youngie we just had breakfast,” Soojin linked arms with the tall brunette, chuckle escaping her as they walked out of the shop. “How can you be hungry now?” Trust her dongsaeng to lighten up the mood unconsciously with her gluttony. It was only a miracle that god had given the bottomless pit genes that allowed her to eat so much without exploding.

 

“I just am. If we don’t eat now, I’ll make you suffer through shoe shopping as revenge. Don’t think won’t,” Sooyoung threatened. Soojin wasn’t the fashionista, loves-to-shop kind of girl, preferring to be in and out of shops as soon as time allowed. Time wasted on prolonged shopping trips was her worst nightmare.

 

“Don’t even joke about that,” Soojin warned, shuddering at the thought of wasting so much time so Sooyoung could try on shoes. She loved her sister and her eye for fashion, but god-forbid being roped into a shopping trip to feed her biggest –shoes. “We’ll go eat,” it was better to relent than suffer the consequences.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Soojin-noona, Sooyoung-ah,” Woobin greeted, putting on his most charming, boyish smile as he approached the pair in hopes of getting what he wanted. It was his luck that he’d spotted them entering the shop as he drove down the street and decided to wait. “I saw you a while ago and I was hoping to invite you out to eat –my treat.” Sooyoung was hungry as their conversation prior to his interruption indicated, and she never could resist food.

 

“Actually, why don’t you and Sooyoungie go together? She wanted to eat and I’m not hungry,” Soojin finding an out from stuffing herself when she wasn’t all that hungry in the first place. Besides, it would be better if she left her dongsaeng and friend to eat alone, instead of being a third wheel. “I can go see Seunghyun-oppa earlier then.”

 

Sooyoung’s eyes widened, “You don’t have to leave, unnie. He invited both of us.” It not that she was averse to a free meal. It was just Woobin without a chaperone present always said thing to her that pushed on the inappropriate. She needed Soojin to ensure he remained on his best behavior. “Right?” she questioned, daring him to contradict her and show his true colors, but he still maintained his humble smile that usually got him what he wanted, despite the sly flash of mischief in his eyes.

 

She’s so cute when she panics and thinks she can win against me. Soojin was doing exactly what he’d expected her to do, bowing out to not interfere with his dongsaeng and her friend’s lunch. In fact, she would confirm it in 3…2…1

 

“Perhaps, some other time,” Soojin saved him from answering detangling her arm from her dongsaeng’s who seemed reluctant to let go. “Eat well. I’ll leave first,” bidding them farewell as she dialed, hoping to get her cousin. “Yeobseyo, oppa it’s me Soojin.”

 

Author’s Note: This marks the last of the last of the prologues, and Chapter/Episode One will start where this left off. I’m ¾ done with the next chapter and will post it only when I’m at least half way done with Chapter/Episode Two so you guys don’t have to wait too long for updates.

 

[Help] Does anyone know a good graphic designer who could make posters for the story? I’m otherwise graphically challenged and would like to make the story better with appropriate pictures. If you know of someone, please let me know.