[1/2]

Coulrophobia

The last thing Jongin wanted to do was listen to his college roommate, Sehun, whine about something he had no interest in. He would occasionally nod or shake his head, pretending he was listening to Sehun.

Sehun must have realized Jongin wasn’t actually listening to him because he ended up asking, “Are you even listening to me?” With his annoying whiny voice that Jongin is all too familiar with.

Jongin could only sigh and shake his head. “No, I am not listening to you because you’re whining about something I don’t care about.”

Sehun didn’t say anything after that remark which Jongin was half thankful for. He couldn’t study properly when Sehun was running his mouth. Jongin was all about maintaining his grades and becoming successful in life, unlike Sehun. He was sure that Sehun didn’t care if he was a hobo on the streets which concerned Jongin sometimes.

It would be a lie if he said he didn’t enjoy his dumb roommate sometimes.

“You study too much, Jongin. You need to learn how to live a little.”

Jongin placed his pencil onto his desk and turned around in his chair so he could face him. “Why, so I can end up a hobo on the street like you? No thank you, Sehun.”

Sehun frowned at the reply he received before smiling widely. “I have an idea.” Jongin gave Sehun a look before shaking his head. “You haven’t even heard my idea and you’re shaking your head already, what kind of bull crap is that?”

“Your ideas are almost as stupid as you are.” Sehun frowned at Jongin and looked down at his lap which made Jongin sigh. “Fine, what’s this ‘idea’ of yours?”

Smiling like a little kid, Sehun got up and started looking through his things. Jongin just stared at him slightly confused to what he was doing. “I found them!” Turning to Jongin, he smiled. “So, I was online the other day looking for something to do and I found the most perfect thing!”

“Okay and your point is?”

Sehun gave him a dirty look before continuing, “As I was saying, I found the most perfect thing and since I don’t really talk to anyone but you, I thought I would take you.”

“Take me where?”

“I was about to tell you, stop interrupting me dammit.” Jongin leaned back in his chair and rolled his eyes, obviously unimpressed with Sehun. “So I bought tickets to the circus and wanted to take you.” He smiled and showed Jongin the tickets that Sehun had bought.

Jongin felt his heart stop for a minute and coughed awkwardly before turning his back to Sehun, continuing to study. “I am not a child, Sehun. Go ask someone else to bring you to the circus.”

Sehun sighed and sat back down onto his bed, he honestly only wanted Jongin to go with him. He could have asked Luhan or Tao but he chose Jongin to go with him. “Jongin, please go with me? I really want you to go with me.”

“Sehun, you are a student in college. Stop wasting your time with stupid things like that.” Jongin didn’t know if Sehun was doing this on purpose or if he just wanted him to go with him because he had no friends despite him saying he had tons of them.

Sehun folded his arms and huffed. “Jongin, it’s only for one day. I don’t see why you won’t go with me! I don’t want to go alone.”

“Then don’t go at all.”

After hearing that, Sehun silently got up and gathered his things for a shower, going into the bathroom, slamming the door behind him. Jongin flinched at the sudden noise and put his head on the desk.

He admitted that he felt bad for turning Sehun down like that but he honestly didn’t want to go. Circuses have the one thing that he feared the most, besides spiders that is, and he could never bring himself to go to one.

Some might call him immature and some may share his fear. Either way, he couldn’t bring himself to say yes to Sehun. If it was something different, then he would definitely go with Sehun.

It would be a lie if Jongin had said that he didn’t find his roommate attractive in every way possible.

Jongin looked at the time before getting up from his desk and sitting on his bed. He glanced over at Sehun’s messy bed and spotted the circus tickets he had bought resting on his pillow. Shaking his head, he laid down on his bed and frowned.

Out of all things, Oh Sehun just had to pick the circus.

Ever since Jongin was eight he has had a fear of clowns, or Coulrophobia if you want to sound like a brainiac.

He honestly didn’t know how they would send him chills, but they did. It could be the ugly wigs they wore or the terrible makeup they had on their faces. Hell, it may even be because he got scared to death by Pennywise from the movie IT.

He just didn’t really know anymore.

Jongin watched as Sehun stepped out of the bathroom with his soaked blonde hair and sat up on his bed. “Sehun.” Jongin sighed when he got no reply from the younger male. “Oh Sehun answer me.”

“What?”

“Are you mad at me or something?” That was the last thing Jongin wanted.

Sehun shook his head and took the tickets off of his pillow, placing them on his desk.

Jongin felt as if Sehun was lying to him. If he wasn’t mad at him then why would he give him the silent treatment? “Are you lying to me?” Sehun shook his head again. “Then why aren’t you talking to me?” Sehun shrugged and sat down on his bed. “Right…”

They sat in an awkward silence for a few minutes before Sehun spoke up. “Jongin, why don’t you want to go with me? Do you not like hanging out with me?” Jongin looked over at Sehun who was staring at him with sad eyes.

“Sehun don’t be silly, I like hanging out with you.”

Sehun frowned and nodded slightly. “Alright… You didn’t answer my question though. Why don’t you want to go with me?”

Jongin looked at Sehun and sighed a bit. “Sehun, you’re nineteen years old. You don’t need to be going to a circus which is suited for what, five year olds?”

“Jongin, circuses are for everyone not just little kids.”

“They aren’t for everyone, Sehun.” People who have Coulrophobia would not be spotted alive at a circus.

“Now you’re just making up excuses to not go with me. If you didn’t want to hang out with me you should have just said something, Jongin.”

Jongin was about to argue back but decided against it. It was obvious that Sehun wasn’t in the mood for his bull crap. Jongin mumbled a quick ‘good night’ before turning off his lamp, located on his nightstand.

 

~

 

Jongin woke up the next morning, desperately craving coffee. He would be lying if he said that he got a good amount of sleep last night. The whole argument, if you could even call it that, and clown thing really got to his head. Jongin did want to hang out with Sehun, just not at the circus.

Speaking of Sehun, he was nowhere to be seen.

He sighed and got up out of bed, going into the bathroom so he could change and start his day. It was strange not having Sehun walk with him to the nearby coffee shop. He didn’t understand why Sehun was so angry at him though.

It was just a circus, right?

Jongin took his phone out from his pocket and decided to send Sehun a quick text message to make sure he was alright. He didn’t like it when Sehun was angry with him especially when it was because of something stupid; like him not wanting to go to the circus.

Slipping his phone back into his pocket, he opened the door to his favorite coffee shop and ordered a Frappuccino with coffee in it. He felt like a walking zombie and Jongin really didn’t like it.

Him and Sehun would usually walk around and bicker about stupid things only they would talk about but today, Jongin could only walk back to their shared dorm and hope that Sehun was back from wherever he was.

He felt lonely without Sehun and he hated to admit it. 

Jongin sighed and looked at his phone to see if he had gotten a reply from Sehun but as expected, he got nothing. Sometimes he wished that Sehun would just grow up and finally become the adult he is.

What nineteen year old would get excited over something stupid like a circus?

Jongin had recently turned twenty years old and he didn’t have time for child’s play which Sehun didn’t quite understand.

He sighed and opened the door to their dorm room, walking in and closing the door behind him. As expected, Sehun was still nowhere to be seen. “Do you really hate me that much?” Jongin could only sigh again and sit down at his desk.

He ended up having a staring contest with his Frappuccino.

 

~

 

Jongin doesn’t remember when he had begun resting his head on his desk and falling asleep but that didn’t actually matter right now. What actually mattered is that Sehun was still not back at their dorm.

Was he actually avoiding him because of the whole circus thing?

Jongin took out his phone and sighed. He began texting Sehun, in hope that the younger male would stop ignoring him.

I’ll go to the circus with you, Sehun.

He knew that he would regret this decision more than anything else.