Not again...

Life Starts Here

---Nana’s POV---

 

With a jerk Nana woke up, wiping drool from her face and running her hand through her multi-colored hair.  Blearily she looked around, rubbing the sleep from her eyes as she tried to connect her thoughts.   Suddenly shock registered, and she groaned, clapping her hands over her eyes.  The MV shoot!  She was late!!  Leaping up from her chair, she ran to her bedside table and stared at the clock, then groaned again.  No, she wasn’t late… she completely missed it. 

 

“Why didn’t my phone wake me up!!?!?”  She screamed, digging through the papers on her desk for the blasted piece of technology, only to sigh heavily when she found it; completely dead.  Plugging it in, it soon chirped saying it was charging, only to be flooded with texts from both Cat and Liz, wondering where she was, if she was okay, to call them immediately, as well as a few texts from Tao wondering why Cat and Liz were demanding where she was.  “DAMN YOU PHONE!  I don’t really NEED you, you know.  You’re a luxury.”  She hissed, throwing herself onto her bed with a heavy sigh.

 

“Great.  A film shoot, and I missed it.  Ughhhh they’re going to be so pissed at me!”  She whined, pummeling herself in the forehead as she stared at the ceiling.  There was no getting out of this one, and she knew it. 

 

A knock on the door jerked her to her senses, and she quickly hopped up, opening the door.  Cat stood here, her sleepy eyes full of concern for her roommate.  “Nana!  Are you okay?  What happened?  Why didn’t you answer your phone?”  She cried, grabbing Nana by the shoulders and looking her over, clearly looking for wounds, blood, medical bands or what have you.  “We were so worried when you didn’t show up at the shoot!”

 

Nana lowered her gaze, sheepishly rubbing her toe in the carpet of her room.  “I’m fine, Cat… I am.  No wounds here!  But I actually, uhm, fell asleep when I was doing my homework.  Apparently my phone died while I was sleeping so my alarm didn’t go off either.” 

 

Staring at her in stunned silence, Cat sighed and rolled her eyes.  “What about that alarm clock we got you for your birthday?”

 

“…In the box in my closet.”

 

“Well doesn’t do you much good there, does it?”  Cat groaned, storming into her room and ripping open the closet, pulling said box from the shelf and ripping it open.  “I can’t cover for you every time this happens, Nana.  You know this.  Mr. President texted me asking how everything went, and to give an evaluation for you.  I had to tell him you were sick and couldn’t come… I lied for you, Nana. “  She groaned as she leaned over her nightstand, plugging in the alarm clock.  “All because you didn’t plug in your damned alarm clock.”

 

“Cat I’m sorry, it won’t happen again.”  Nana pleaded, looking at the young woman earnestly.  She hated hurting her friends, even worse because she knew her friend had to lie to save both their skins. 

 

“Let’s hope it won’t, Nana… I don’t want to have to lie again.”  She murmured as she set the time on the clock, and then left her room quietly. 

 

For a moment Nana watched her leave, sighed and collapsed on her bed again, her hands pressed to her forehead.  How could she have let that happen?!  Cat and Liz were already exhausted from working with two high-profile groups, balancing their school work and their angsty, jealous boyfriends… and she definitely wasn’t helping.  Her phone chirped, announcing she had a new text and she sat up, grumbling as she shuffled over to the forsaken device and looked at the screen.  Tao was doing his usual chipper texting, asking if the guys could come over to hang out.

 

Looking through her door, she saw both Cat and Liz’s doors were shut tight, music echoing faintly behind both.  Shoving her phone in her pocket she walked to Liz’s door and knocked quietly, waiting patiently until the girl opened the door.

 

“What’s up, Nana?”  Liz murmured quietly, her entire persona echoing as exhausted.  Looking past her one could see her room was a mess, clothes and paperwork everywhere; definitely not the tidy room Liz was known for keeping.

 

“The boys wanted to know if they could come over, but… would you rather just have a girl’s night?  I’ll go get some soju and snacks if you want?”  Nana offered, looking nervously at the girl’s face. 

 

Pausing, Liz pursed her lips.  Truth be told she wanted nothing more than to curl up on her bed and sleep forever, but the thought of a girl’s day was tempting so she sighed and nodded.  “Alright, sure.  Be sure to get plenty of soju, though.  The flu’s going around, so it’d kill all the bacteria, right?  Logic!”  She cried, stepping out of her room and walking to Cat’s door, banging on the wood.

 

“Yaaaahhh... What now?!”  Cat whined, pulling the door open and rubbing her face. 

 

“Nana offered to buy soju and snacks, so we can have a girl’s night.  Can you make that facial mask stuff that I love?”  Liz chirped, grinning at her tired sister.  “Pleeeeeease?!”

 

Heaving a sigh, Cat shrugged and nodded, walking out of her room and heading toward the kitchen.   “Yea yea…  It’s super simple, Liz.  I don’t know why you don’t make it yourself.  It’s just yogurt, banana and honey.”

 

“But it’s more fun when you make it!”  Liz grinned, skipping behind her sister and throwing her arms around her neck.  “Besides!  It’s a tradition, isn’t it?”

 

Glaring playfully at Liz as she began peeling the bananas and putting them in a bowl, she smiled softly and shook her head.  “Fair enough.  But I’m hungry, so Nana, be sure to get plenty of snacks, okay?” 

 

Nana looked up from the door as she was pushing on her shoes and jacket, shoving a beanie onto her head.  “Oh, yea.  Okay!  Anything specific you want?”

 

“Nah, just get a ton of stuff that’s super fattening and bad for you.”  Cat chuckled as she began spooning yogurt and honey into the bowl with the bananas, and mashing them with a fork.  “I feel like cheating on my diet.”

 

“Oh what diet?  The see-food-and-eat-it diet?  Because you’re doing great at that one.”  Liz teased, dodging a banana peel as Cat chucked it across the room at her. 

 

“Yahhhh!!  I’m trying to eat healthier lately!  Ever since Sehun got me dancing, I’ve wanted to eat cleaner and healthier so I can be at my best.”  Cat murmured, flushing pink as she stared at the bowl.

 

“You just want to be y when you and Sehun finally seal the deal.  You’ve never let me teach you how to dance!”  Liz pouted, folding her arms over her chest and leaning against the counter.  “You just like it because he holds you close.”

 

Smirking, Cat waggled her brows at her sister, shrugging cryptically as she walked to the fridge to put the face mask away.  “Well he has more to offer me than you do.”

 

Nana laughed, rolling her eyes as the girls continued to bicker.  “Okay guys, I’m going to get the soju, okay?  And I’ll get a bunch of snacks and munchies too.”  She grinned, waving good-bye to the girls as they now were bantering over what movie they’d watch. 

 

Shoving her hands into her pockets, she knocked on the bodyguard’s door, murmuring quietly to the man inside the door and explaining her mission.  Once they were ready, they wandered down the hallway in peaceful quiet, Nana humming to herself as she wandered in front of the tall man.  Soon enough they were leaving the front door, and squeals of the fans waiting outside met her ears.

 

Her easy smile slid onto her face, and she waved calmly at the girls who were screaming happily at her, shoving cards to the guys into her pockets.  “Hello everyone.  Thank you for coming, and I’ll be sure to get these to the boys!”

 

Nana-ssi!!  What can you tell us about their comeback!?”  One fan cried, reaching her hand out to Nana. 

 

Smiling gently, she grabbed the girl’s hand and squeezed gently, before shrugging.  “I’m not at liberty to speak!  Just know it’ll be great.”  She grinned, and walked into the van with the bodyguard, climbing inside.  As the van drove off she absently looked at the cards in her pockets, and felt jealousy prickle as she saw some addressed to Tao.  With a heavy sigh she resisted ripping them, knowing it’d make him sad if the other’s got fanmail and he didn’t.

 

Where to, Nana-ssi?”  The driver asked quietly, pulling Nana from her reverie. 

 

Stuffing the letters back into her pocket, she smiled gently, and rubbed the back of her neck.  “The nearest grocery store please.  I have some things to pick up.”  The driver nodded and turned down a street, and she stretched, groaning as her muscles released.  They soon arrived at the small shop, and she hopped out, immediately surrounded by fans.   She smiled politely, bowing to them as she darted in, closing the door behind her and sighing heavily.

 

You seem frazzled, dear.”  The gray-haired ahjumma behind the counter murmured, bowing politely to Nana.

 

Yes… you have no idea.”  Nana sighed, smiling at the woman as she grabbed a small cart and wandered down toward the back of the store where the soju was stored.  Quickly she grabbed half a dozen of the larger bottles, stacking them neatly in the cart before turning to the snack aisle. 

 

Grinning, she grabbed some bags of chips and pretzels, then donut bites.  She then turned down to the fruit aisle and grabbed strawberries, bananas, and pineapple, then a container of dipping chocolate.  “Delish!”  She cooed, pushing her bounty to the ahjumma again. 

 

You’re with that new boyband of SM’s, yea?”  The ahjumma asked, quietly ringing up her items as Nana dug through her purse for her pre-paid debit card.

 

"Hn? Oh, yes. I'm one of the makeup girls." She grinned, paying for the groceries and grabbing the bags, grumbling as she tried to balance the bags on her wrists. "Damnit. Too much booze, too few arms."

 

A throaty chuckle came from behind her. "Do you need some help Nana-ssi?"

 

Turning around, she blinked, seeing Kris standing behind her, hat pulled low over his brow, his eyes hidden behind thick shades. "Kris-ssi... You're not supposed to be out here without guard! The saesangs..." She murmured, looking at the fans crowding around outside.

 

Shrugging, he chuckled quietly. "Doesn't matter. I saw you were leaving so I followed you. Is everything okay? With you and the girls?"

 

Touched by his concern, she allowed him to help her carry her bags to the van, after they bowed their thanks to the ahjumma. Nana and the bodyguard quickly formed a human shield around the idol, ushering him into the van with the bags. Once Nana had pried the last hand from her arm and climbed inside, she exhaled loudly, leaning back against the seat, throwing the letters in her pocket at him. "Here. No doubt some of these are for you."

 

Kris blinked, looking at the letters with a vacant expression. "Oh... I see. Does this happen often?"

 

"Yea, all the time. Anytime one of us leaves really. Just a lot of the time the girls never look at them; too worried they'd have to get jealous about their boys." Grinning, she pulled her beanie from her head and ran her hand through her hair. "And to answer your question, no. Not everything is okay."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I didn't show to a SHINee MV shoot, Sehun's mad at Cat, Chanyeol's pissed with Liz, and Tao definitely isn't happy with the lack of time we've had together. It seems like once our dreams start coming true everything just... starts to fall apart." The last part came out as a whimper, and she cleared in an attempt to mask it, but knew the idol had caught it anyway. "But it doesn't matter. It's girl's night! No boys allowed."

 

"B-but... you have soju! That's not fair!" Kris pouted, looking inside one of her bags curiously.

 

"Aishhhh!! Nosey boy!" She swatted at him, chuckling quietly. "Oh no... You must have been spotted leaving." With a wavering hand she pointed out the window, at the massive crowd of fans outside of SM and swallowed hard. "Can you get the bags, Jae-ssi?" She murmured to the bodyguard in the front seat. "I'm going to have to run with Kris."

 

"Nana-ssi, I should really yo-..."

 

"I'm a big girl, I can take care of myself!" She hissed, then sighed, clenching her eyes shut. "I'm sorry. It'll just be faster if Kris and I run."

 

Jae paused, and nodded, his face stoney. "I'll be right behind you."

 

"Fair enough. Kris... get ready." Stepping close to the door, she slipped her hand in his and laced their fingers together tightly. "Whatever you do, do not let go of my hand. Just run. If you get ahead of me, pull me. We get in there together."

 

Kris swallowed hard, nerves written on his usually cool and collected face. "O-Okay."

 

"Ready... set... RUN!" She screamed, throwing the door open and pushing from the seat, dragging the terrified idol behind her through the crowd of saesangs. "Get back! BACK DAMN YOU." She cried at the fans, feeling their hands grab at her clothes, hair, arms. Cries of pain from Kris brought to her attention that he was being clawed as well, and she gave a yank, pulling him closer to her side.

 

Their arms wrapped around each other's waists, and as they ducked their heads to barrel through, Nana felt a fist wrap in her hair and yank her back from the idol. She fell to the ground in a heap, searing pain radiating from her elbow, and she knew immediately that she had broken it. "Run, Kris! Run!" She screamed at the idol, who had stopped as if to run back to her.

 

"YOU ! KRIS-AH IS OURS!!!" The saesangs cried, clawing at her face and hands; such a difference from the caring fans that were welcoming her before, begging for information.

 

Tears sprang to her eyes as someone grabbed her forearm and yanked her to her feet, causing the pain in her elbow to become excruciating. "Jae!!!!" She screamed through her pain, sobbing as the girls threw themselves on her, fists flying.

 

Like a tank Jae barrelled through, shoving the fans away like they were nothing and grabbing a pain-riddled Nana against his chest. "BACK UP!" He roared, rushing to the door and depositing Nana inside.

 

Clutching her arm to her chest she sobbed fitfully, barely hearing Kris hovering around her and apologizing to her, he shouldn't have held her like that and caused the fans to rage.

 

"NANA?!?!?!" A familiar voice choked from the stairwell, and she looked up, tears smearing her makeup. With her good arm she reached out to the tall idol barreling toward her, uncaring that the fans could see them through the glass doors.

 

"T-Tao..." She sobbed, then went unconscious.