CH11

Is This Really Fate?

A/N: I'm back after 2-3 days with another update! Yay~ 

I'm thinking of finally bringing this story to an end soon. Within at least another two chapters or so. It's kinda sad to think about, but I'll get sappy when it actually comes. 

I hope you all enjoy this chapter! Thanks as always for all the support for this story. (´ヮ`)


Baekhyun presses his hands against Jongdae's chest and the latter feels his back hit the end of the couch.

"Baekhyun!" Jongdae cries. He watches in horror as Baekhyun stares back at him, before scrambling up and moving towards the the exit.

“I’m sorry, Jongdae,” Baekhyun breathes out before shutting the door.

--

“We haven’t talked in days,” Jongdae sighs. He’s currently laying on his couch, his head hanging off the side. He fiddles with the arms of a stuffed bunny he had received from Baekhyun for Christmas last year.

“He’ll come around eventually, trust me. He has to,” says Kyungsoo, snatching the plush away from his best friend. “Stop moping around, Jongdae. You have work in 10 minutes!”

“But Soo!”

Their conversation is interrupted by a ring from Kyungsoo’s phone. “I swear,” he mutters, pressing the ‘decline’ button. “He won’t stop calling. Can’t he see we’re in the middle of something?”

Jongdae only laughs before his own phone goes off. Eyeing Kyungsoo curiously, he answers.

“Jongdae!” The voice on the other line practically screams and Jongdae has to hold his cell away from his ear.

“Jongin,” Jongdae shouts back. “May I ask why you’re calling me?”

“Because,” Jongin whines, “Kyungsoo won’t pick up his damn phone and I know he’s with you! Kyungsoo, I know you can hear me. We have class soon and I want to walk with you to your class. Stop hanging out with Jongdae and come home!”

Kyungsoo snorts before swiping Jongdae’s phone. “Jongin, Jongdae’s in a critical situation and I need to be there for him. I’ll meet you after classes, okay?”

There’s a few seconds of silence on the phone before Jongin lets out a hesitant sigh. “Fine, only ‘cause Jongdae’s my friend too. I swear, sometimes I feel like you two are way too close for comfort.” But Jongin lets out an airy laugh before he hangs up, and Jongdae sees his friend relax his shoulders.

“You have work and I have classes soon, so stop worrying, okay? If it’s really fate, things will get better.” Kyungsoo gives Jongdae a gentle smile before standing up. “Just remember that he’s still not over Chanyeol yet. He’s still scared.”

Jongdae walks Kyungsoo to the door of his apartment and gives his friend a tight hug. “Yeah. Thanks Soo. Really.”

“Of course. Where would you be without me, Kim Jongdae?”

“Probably half-way through a tub of ice cream,” Jongdae jokes, and then the two part their separate ways. Jongdae finds him relaxing during his walk towards the bakery. Whether it’s the way the sun hits his face and the breeze ruffles his hair, or the way his music lifts up his spirits, Jongdae doesn’t know. But he decides he isn’t going to let anything get in his way today, as he steps into the bakery and is immediately greeted by his platinum-haired assistant and his blonde-haired companion.

“How is it that you two are always here before me?” says Jongdae, shaking his head in playful laughter. The two workers stand side-by-side, hands linked and both laugh at his remark.

“You should probably just stop being so late,” Lu Han teases, earning a friendly punch from the other.

“I’ll be in the back today; you two can hold things down in the front right?”

The two nod and Jongdae opens the door to the kitchen, where he begins another day of baking. His bakery has been getting more and more popular recently, up to a point where there is always a constant stream of customers. It’s a little intimidating, but Jongdae’s glad that people enjoy his baking this much.

When shop first opens, Jongdae’s still baking in the back. A series of cakes and cupcakes are put in the oven, cannoli shells are dunked in hot oil, and the whipping of butter and confectioner’s sugar could be heard in the mixers in the back of the kitchen. Satisfied with the outcome of the day’s baking, Jongdae heads out of the kitchen to greet customers and get feedback. As usual, most comments are positive. He takes notes of certain details that customers point out, and makes a mental note to use less sugar in his icing next time. Everything is going just fine, Jongdae thinks, absent-mindedly wiping down the counter with a damp towel.

But Jongdae thinks that life may just be out to get him.

Maybe.

Why? Because at that moment, one Byun Baekhyun walks in, and it’s day one all over again. Jongdae looks at Baekhyun in total shock but Baekhyun merely stares at the other, and Jongdae can see what Baekhyun wants to say.

We need to talk, he sees in his eyes, but Jongdae looks away. His hair looked too soft; his skin looked too smooth; and his jeans made him look too good; and Jongdae was a mess. He would never be over the boy with the killer smile -- his best friend.

“Jongdae,” he hears behind him. He turns around and finds Sehun gently smiling at him, a rare feat that makes Jongdae find himself surprised. “You need to go talk to him. You guys have to resolve this now.”

Jongdae knows Sehun’s right, and by the look that Lu Han’s giving him, he’s saying the exact same thing as his boyfriend. He knows they’re right, but for some reason, he just wants to run away from it all. It was all much too complicated for him and he didn’t need anymore heartbreak in his life.

How ironic, thinks Jongdae as he notions Baekhyun to the back of the store. The watch that was supposed to prevent this kind of thing actually brought it about.

“Jongdae,” Baekhyun starts, but his voice drops when he sees Jongdae flinch. “Jongdae,” he tries again, his eyes desperate. Jongdae notices that it looks like Baekhyun hasn’t slept in days.

Must be hard on him, he thinks. Lost his boyfriend and his best friend on the same day…

“Yeah, Baek?” Jongdae internally curses at the way his voice shakes. It doesn’t help when Jongdae’s broken tone puts Baekhyun off as well.

“Um,” says Baekhyun, unsure of what to say. The two share a rather awkward silence before they both speak up.

“I miss you.” They say in unison.

They stare wide-eyed at each other for a few seconds before Baekhyun cracks a smile and Jongdae begins laughing, and eventually Baekhyun joins in, and the two laugh for what seems like minutes. Jongdae is using the wall to support himself and Baekhyun’s clutching at his sides, both still shaking with laughter.

“We’re still saying things in perfect sync,” Baekhyun jokes. “I was serious though. I really do miss my best friend. These past days have been hell without you.”

Jongdae’s heart flutters at Baekhyun’s words, but he remembers what happened that started this whole mess, and swallows the warm feeling bubbling up in his throat.

“I did too. What I did that day was really dumb but I really don’t want it getting in the way of our friendship. Besides, we’re best friends. I’m not going to just let you ditch me!”

And suddenly everything feels so much better. The sun seems brighter, the breeze seems lighter, and the green on the walls that had seemed so dull before was now bright and warm.

Baekhyun jumps at his friend, enveloping him in a tight embrace, almost crushing him. But Jongdae only laughs, and he realizes how much he really missed Baekhyun.

“It’s nice to have you back,” Jongdae murmurs into Baekhyun’s hair.

“Nice to be back.” Baekhyun simply replies.

The two stay like that for a few minutes, before Sehun interrupts them and tells Jongdae that he’ll burn the cupcakes if he keeps fooling around in the back.

Jongdae sticks out his tongue at the younger one and Baekhyun laughs at Jongdae’s immature reaction. “We were having a heart-to-heart Oh Sehun. You can take out the cakes and whatever for me. Just don’t accidentally fall into the fryers with the cannoli shells,” Jongdae replies, and Sehun only lets out a small laugh before going to do as Jongdae says.

“I miss you and your sassiness,” Baekhyun says after Sehun’s left. “I also miss your xbox. I need to kick your dumb ass in Ghosts again.”

Jongdae snorts at Baekhyun’s remarks but agrees nonetheless. “I don’t miss your attitude, Baek. But yeah, I’ll let you over. We can go after closing?”

Baekhyun nods eagerly and plops himself into a seat by the window. “Now go get me my hot chocolate with extra cream and a slice of vanilla cake,” he says, shooing Jongdae off to the counter.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Jongdae laughs, and suddenly everything is feels so right.

Maybe it’s the way Jongdae manages to put in the perfect ratio of cocoa to milk. Or maybe it’s the way there just happens to be one slice left of the vanilla cake, perfectly intact and beautiful.

Or maybe it’s the way Baekhyun is beaming at Jongdae, eyes bright and filled with relief and happiness. Maybe it’s the way Baekhyun’s eyes reflect the same emotions in Jongdae’s.

But for now, Jongdae’s going to blame his sudden happiness on the amount of sunlight shining into the bakery, soaking into his own skin.


It's pretty late and I'm totally wiped out so I didn't even proof-read this before submitting it. Ignore any mistakes I make! (: