Just Another Realistic Cliche

Just Another Realistic Cliche

A tap on her shoulder made her jump out in fright.

“Woah!” Jung Ri Hyo exclaimed.

A fit of laughter echoed in her ears as her bestfriend, Hwang Sung Ah appeared beside her.

“Seriously, you should stop your caffeine addiction. Look at its effect on you! You’re getting scared by just a mere tap,” Sung Ah laughed at her friend.

“Not funny Sung Ah, not funny,” Rihyo rolled her eyes but a smiled is tugged on her lips.

“Let’s go? Thanks for waiting for me,” Sung Ah hugged her arm before they got inside their school.

 

They had been friends since elementary school. Both were from a well off family enabling them to get into private schools were most students were from the same cluster. Being part of that cluster gives you an advantage and at the same time a disadvantage. You get to the private schools equipped with all that you need and armed with gadgets while the pressure and hierarchy within the school makes you somehow regret that you are part of it.

 

“I heard that the Prom will be before the quarter exams, have you had your dress?” Sung Ah asked her best friend when they got inside their room. They were seated side by side.

“Mom has everything planned ahead ever since I stepped in this school,” Rihyo rolled her eyes.

“Have you seen my prince charming get inside ahead of me?” Sung Ah asked again.

“Yah! Who says he is only yours? Everybody likes him in this school so don’t assume anything about him being your prince charming,” Rihyo turned her chair to talk to her.

Their classmates started pouring in.

“Arasseo! Who would not like someone like him? I mean, he is so perfect and all, right?” Sung Ah sighed with that dreamy look.

 

“YAH! Baekhyun Oppa has arrived!” a female classmate of them barged inside to tell them the news. Almost every girl scampered to get to the windows to look at the said guy.

“Would you want a drink? I suddenly felt parched all of the sudden,” Sung Ah offered.

Her bestfriend gave a nod as they squeezed their way out of the door to get a drink.

They walked in silence as they passed by the said guy who is heading the opposite way.

 

That brief encounter with him, no one noticed the look he gave first on Sung Ah before he gave a smile, as if acknowledging the two. After all they were classmates. Both gave a nod of confirmation before they went down the stairs to get to the canteen.

“Have you seen that look from our classmates when he smiled at us? I swear they want to kill,” Rihyo reached for a bottle of water.

“Did you turn your head when he went past us?” Sung Ah asked.

“Of course, who would want to miss the sight of our classmates getting wide eyed from that small encounter,” Rihyo smiled.

 

Sung Ah sighed before they went back to their room. Every girl is crowding over Baekhyun’s desk when they got inside.

“Say, your debut will be at the end of the week right? How was the preparation faring? The practices every weekend is very tiring,” Sung Ah said when they finally settled in.

“So tiresome! Mom is so persistent on letting me wear every possible design the designer has to offer. Don’t worry, you will experience it sooner.”

“Yeah, like my birthday will be at the end of the school year. At least I get the chance of not worrying about school stuff and at the same time debut stuff as well,” Sung Ah chuckled.

“By the way, Mom said I will get to meet my fiancé on my debut. He might not be one of the escorts, but they will officially announce it on my debut thus it will be a celebration of two events,” Rihyo giggled.

“Really? You will get to meet your fiancé? Wow! That’s like daebak!” Sung Ah blinked her eyes in excitement.

“Yeah! I will get to know him finally. How about that guy you said you are dating? When will I get to meet him?” Rihyo grinned at her friend who blushed at the question.

“I’ll introduce him to you on your debut. He will be my date, aside from my ,” Sung Ah smiled.

“Oh, I’m so excited!”

“You haven’t met him right? I mean your fiancé?”

Rihyo nods, “Ne, but Mom already met him. Sad to say, it was very brief since he has to tend to somewhere, but Mom assured me that he is handsome. Can you believe that? I got a handsome fiancé!”

“Are you saying that it’s impossible for you to get a handsome one?” Sung Ah raised a brow.

“Aniyo, what I mean is that-“ Rihyo was cut off when their homeroom teacher came inside.

“Let’s talk about it later by lunch,” she whispered at her bestfriend before they sit properly.

 

While their class hours were going on, Sung Ah felt her phone vibrate. She pulled it out and hides it from their teacher’s eyes to read the message. It was short, but somehow it made her day complete.

 

From: <3

Message:

 Jagiya, you look cute today. Meet me later at the rooftop. I have your favorite caramel macchiato. Nuh moo saranghae. <3.

 

She punched a quick reply before she pockets her phone. Throughout the morning, a smile never left her face up to lunch while they are lining up to get their food. After ordering, Rihyo starts to question her about her sudden mood change.

“Yah, who’s that you texted during English?” she asked.

She just received a smile as a response from her bestfriend.

 

While they are silently eating on their table, the girls started a commotion making them turn their head towards the door only to see Baekhyun getting inside to grab some lunch. Somehow, he had his bag as if he had just arrived late.

“Sometimes I want to strangle those girls,” Rihyo sighed.

“You’re not the only one,” Sung Ah seconded as they went on to their lunch.

 

“Can I share the table with you?” a male voice asked making both of them turn up just to gawk at the owner of that voice.

“Would you mind if I share the table?” Baekhyun asked, holding his tray.

It was Rihyo who gave a nod as a faint blush colors her cheeks same with Sung Ah when Baekhyun took the seat beside her.

 

“I bet you two had been together since elementary right?” he asked amidst the meal.

The two girls whipped their head to look at him before they gave a nod simultaneously.

“I always see you together, and you two seems to distance yourselves away from the crowd. Do you hate the students?” he asked again, taking a spoonful of rice.

“It’s not that we hate them, we just don’t feel like mingling with them. Besides, being with each other is enough, right Seo?” Rihyo smiled at her blushing bestfriend next to the guy.

“Ne,” came her short reply.

“The feeling’s mutual. I only got into this school because my parents insisted on it. I actually want to attend an all-boys school but my Mother won’t allow it. Just what would happen to my handsome face if I get stuck on a school with students sharing the same as mine right?” he smiled at the two.

Rihyo giggled the same time a smile made its way on Sung Ah’s lips. The rest of the lunch went on smoothly. Baekhyun went ahead of them after bowing his head in thanks. When he is gone, a few girls crowded over the two and started interrogating them about what had just happened.

“We are not close or anything. It just that our table happens to be vacant,” Rihyo reasoned out when she got tired of the girls.

 

“Rihyo, you can wait for me at the library. I just have to get something from my bag,” Sung Ah said when they are already heading out the cafeteria.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to join you?” Rihyo looked at her bestfriend.

“I’m fine, besides it’s not like I will disappear or something,” she smiled an assurance at her friend.

Rihyo gave a nod before they parted on the hallway. When Sung Ah was sure her bestfriend had turned to a corner she took the way up to the rooftop. She checked her phone, there was a message.

 

From: <3

Message:

I’m here already, where are you?

 

She made her steps quick and slowly turned the knob. When she got out the door, there he is standing by the rooftop’s cemented railings, his back on her. She made careful steps before she covered his eyes with her hands.

 

It startled him but a smile made its way on his lips. “You’re late,” he said, slowly removing her hand before he turns around to look at his girlfriend. “With that, you will be sanctioned with a kiss,” he gave a playful smile.

“Yah! Who made up that rule? Huh?” she pouted.

He stepped forward and kissed her instead on the forehead, “Did you sleep well last night? I told you not to tire yourself on the debut’s practice right?” he reminded her again.

“But I love my bestfriend, besides, she gets to be eighteen only once,” she looked up at him.

“I know, but you should also learn how to rest,” he pinched the bridge of her nose, “And here’s your caramel macchiato,” he handed her the drink.

“How did you get this?” she asked.

“Well, I happen to be resourceful,” he replied, holding his.

 

Together, they stood there, looking down at the school’s playground savoring each other’s company.

“Jagiya, should we let them know about our relationship? I mean, you’re bestfriend has her right to know at least, even our parents,” he looked at her.

“I already told her that I will introduce you to her on her debut, so don’t worry. It will be at the end of the week,” she leaned on him, holding her cup closely.

“It has gone cold, mianhe,” he apologized.

“I’m fine with it, I like it this way,” she replied.

 

For a while, they let the moment stretch as they enjoy their drink. When they are done, she then remembers her bestfriend waiting for her at the library.

“Omo! Rihyo will kill me! I told her I would not be long! I’ll go ahead,” she turned and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. But before she could get farther, he pulled her in a hug, “Saranghae,” he whispered sending the butterflies in her stomach into wilderness.

“Nomu saranghae,” she whispered back as he parted for a kiss on her forehead.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“Where have you been? I almost called your Mom if you haven’t appeared right now,” Rihyo gave her friend a hug with her phone ready on her hand.

“I forgot what I was looking for when I got inside the classroom. It took me a while to remember it. You know how I get when I forget what I need,” she smiled at her bestfriend.

“You would not leave without having it. Then you should have texted me,” Rihyo pouted.

“If I texted you, would you be able to finish your essay?” she pointed at the paper Rihyo is holding.

Rihyo gave a sheepish smile, linked her arm on her best friend’s before they went back to their room.

 

All throughout the afternoon, they focused on their lessons since the exams will be right after the prom which made the students frown and protest. They argued to move it after the exams so it will be stress free. Their homeroom teacher agreed on proposing the idea since most students from her other class has the same wish.

 

As the two were heading out, Sung Ah kept on talking about the exams and the prom as her bestfriend agrees on her. The crowded hallways made it impossible for them to notice a hand slipping a paper on Sung Ah’s hand. A smile graced her lips as she pockets the paper, knowing full well who gave her that paper.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

While Sung Ah is doing her homework, her phone suddenly rang. When she checked the caller Id, it was her dear bestfriend. She plugged in her earphone before she answered it.

“Ne,” she answered.

“Wow! Is that how you would greet your bestfriend? No hello or how are you?” Rihyo replied on the other line.

“We were together a few hours ago,” Sung Ah replied, continuing on her Math homework.

“You seem to be busy. Are you having a chat or what with your boyfriend?” –Rihyo

“I am doing our homework, have you finished yours?” –Sung Ah

“Yeah, a while ago. Wae? Haven’t finished yours?”-Rihyo

“About to finish. What’s up? What made you call?” –Sung Ah

“I’ve got the invitations for my debut! Help me distribute it tomorrow, please?” –Rihyo

“Sure!” Sung Ah replied finishing off her homework. She gave a stretch and checked the wall clock. It’s already twenty minutes past ten.

“Hey, should we head on to sleep. I need my beauty rest for your debut,” Sung Ah joked.

“Yah! Are you planning on stealing the limelight on me?” Rihyo laughed on the other line.

“Arasseo, just don’t forget to help me tomorrow okay? I would like to invite Baekhyun too,” Rihyo added before she hung up.

 

Sung Ah pulled out her earphone and gave a sigh. She went to her bathroom to freshen up before she went back to her bed. When she checked her phone, there’s a message from her boyfriend.

 

From: <3

Message:

Baby, sleep early. Don’t stress yourself too much about the homework. Would you want caramel macchiato again or shall we try the latte?

 

She punched in her reply.

 

To: <3

Message:

I prefer the caramel macchiato. I’m about to sleep but your message woke me up. Rihyo will be distributing her invitations tomorrow.

 

His reply came after a minute.

 

From: <3

Message:

Really?

Then I should probably prepare. She might hand me one of those invitation.

What do you think?

 

She smiled at his reply before she gave her last text.

 

To: <3

Message:

Like she would take time to give you one.

I’ll go to sleep now.

Good night babe, dream of dreams about me. :p

 

Then she didn’t even bother to wait for his reply.

 

They had been dating for almost a week now. She was not just able to tell it to her bestfriend since Rihyo is very busy about her debut. She was thinking twice of revealing their relationship because thousands of possibilities would bombard her whenever she thinks of letting everyone know. The very question she fears the most is how they ended up together. Or rephrasing it, how did she end up dating him of all people.

 

Her bestfriend would surely throw tantrums once she learns about her boyfriend. But then, he is already ready to face the world with her that somehow gave her the courage to finally introduce him. She just hopes that nothing bad will happen.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Time flew like the wind that it’s already Rihyo’s debut. Sung Ah and the other seventeen female escorts were waiting upstairs for the start of the entourage. Her bestfriend had been receiving comments and praises from the other escorts because of her dress, her looks, her jewelries and all. Even though all of them share the same color of the dress, the design varies and somehow it made her realize that standing beside her bestfriend would make her look so plain.

 

It’s not about insecurity or jealousy. It’s just the innate attitude of girls to get intimidated when they don’t stand out in the crowd. But when she read his message that she looks beautiful no matter what she wears from her boyfriend changed her gloomy expression to a blooming one.

 

“You’re the next. Good luck sister! Fighting!” Rihyo cheered when it was Sung Ah’s turn to go down. She was the last one before the debutante. She made careful steps down the stairs as the spotlight follows her, the same time the emcee introduces her. She tried to look from him on the crowd since he was miraculously invited, but the light on her made it impossible. It was only when she was standing next to her partner when she saw him among the crowd, looking fabulous with his black suit.

 

She watched her bestfriend go down as everyone claps their hands to welcome the debutante. The dance followed before the eighteen roses then the party proper commenced. Sung Ah tried to look for him among the crowd so she can finally introduce him to her bestfriend when the emcee caught everyone’s attention.

 

“I would like to ask everyone else to please settle down as the parents of the debutante would like to announce something.”

Rihyo’s mother stepped up on the podium, taking over the floor. Everyone hushed down.

“I would like to thank you all for making it to my daughter’s eighteenth birthday. It would never be possible without you,” she paused as everyone gave applause.

“In line with this very special moment, I would like to make some announcement,” she paused again, drawing suspense. Rihyo who is sitting on the stage gave her mother a wondering look.

‘She would announce Rihyo’s fiancé. I wonder who he is.’ Sung Ah thought as she tries to look for her boyfriend among the hundred faces. ‘And where is that boyfriend of mine?’ she thought again when Rihyo’s mother spoke.

 

“Since my daughter had reached the legal age, then we, her parents, thereby make an official announcement about her betrothal to Mister Byun Baekhyun. This night will be a two event celebration. Please do enjoy,” she said as murmurs starts to roll over the crowd before the thunderous applause. The spot light hit Baekhyun who is standing near the large window on the far end, probably with his parents.

 

The shock on the Rihyo’s face was evident that soon her face blushed when the thought settled in. Baekhyun with his parents started to make their way to the debutante’s table as people they passed by congratulates him.

 

Sung Ah on the other hand, felt her world stop. The voices around her suddenly grew louder every moment that pass by. She saw her boyfriend being dragged by his parents to meet her fiancée who happens to be her bestfriend.

 

Yes, her boyfriend is no other than the talk of their classroom, or probably the campus. She is actually in a relationship with Mister Byun Baekhyun. But how can she possibly introduce him when he is already her best friend’s official fiancé?

 

Tears rolled down her cheeks when she saw her bestfriend and Baekhyun sitting side by side. Rihyo is clearly happy about the said announcement since both of them had a crush on the guy. She thought she was lucky when they started dating, but turns out her bestfriend is luckier.

 

She wiped off the tears as she made her way out of the function hall. While she is hailing a cab, she sent a message to her best friend telling her that she suddenly felt dizzy and needs to rest before she shuts down her phone.

 

How can she face the world and introduce him as her boyfriend if he is her best friend’s fiancé? No matter how you look at the picture, people would think that she is the antagonist of the whole picture. Talk about being stuck on the worst situation.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Weekends were a struggle for Sung Ah. Rihyo had been calling her but she didn’t even bother to answer any of the calls and messages. Baekhyun had been doing the same but she did the same. It frustrated her that she threw her phone off the wall, breaking it into parts. What kind of face would she show the whole school? Her dream of revealing the whole world about their relationship crumbled down and up to now she can’t recover from the announcement.

 

Her eyes were very weary when she went to school that Monday. Rihyo greeted her by the gate but she barely noticed her. She feels like a zombie walking out in the open. The school had been talking about the engagement of Rihyo and Baekhyun that it almost drives her mad.

 

When she got on her desk, she laid down her head and tried to get some sleep when she felt a piece of paper being slipped to her. She gave a groan and got up to look at it. It was from him.

 

Meet me at the green house. I’ll be heading there.

 

She wants to cry and just throw away the paper but since this is the reality she chose to go.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“Hey, have you seen my bestfriend?” Rihyo asked one of their classmate when she got inside their room.

“I saw her get out, but I don’t know where. Why don’t you give her a call? Why does she look like that?” her classmate pried.

“I don’t know either, anyway thanks,” she smiled back.

“By the way, congratulations. The two of you look great by the way. Where’s your fiancé?” her classmate asked again.

“I don’t know either. Probably late,” Rihyo smiled again.

 

While she is arranging her books on her desk, she noticed the note on her best friend’s desk. When she read the message, she stood up and went out to get to the green house.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Sung Ah sighed when she got inside the green house. He had his back on her.

“What is there to talk about?” she said startling him.

He stood up and moved closer when she motioned him to stop.

“Don’t go any further. Please, I don’t want to cry for the same god damn reason,” she sighed, tears welling up on her eyes.

“Jagiya,” he still dared to step closer no matter how she tries to avoid him. He finally hugged her closer, whispering words of comfort.

“Babe, I’m sorry. I don’t know anything about this. I’ll try to talk to my parents and to Rihyo to withdraw the engagement. I can’t possibly make it if I’m not with you. Please, stop crying,” he whispered, hugging her trembling figure.

 

“Babe, I don’t think you will talk yourself out of this. Why don’t we just stop this in here so that no one gets hurt? I’m working on my papers so I can transfer next year,” she replied making him part from the hug.

“Don’t do it. Please, I might not get over it,” he said.

“Don’t speak like that. You don’t know what might happen in the near future,” she said wiping tears with a bitter smile on her face.

He cupped her face, planting a soft kiss on her forehead before he hugged her closer, afraid of letting her go.

“I thought we would end up together. Please take care of my bestfriend,” she whispered, savoring for the last time the feeling of having him close.

 

Their relationship didn’t last long. Although, he had been courting her longer than what others expect, their official relationship started just last week that turns out to be an ill fated one.

 

“Sung Ah? Baekhyun?”

Both of them turned their head to see Rihyo standing a few feet away from them. Shock and confusion was written all over her face when she saw them. Sung Ah slowly parted and moved to get closer to her shocked best friend.

 

Sung Ah tapped her shoulder, “Rihyo, please take care of my boyfriend,” then walked past her.

 

Rihyo stood frozen on the spot unable to grasp the revelation she just saw. Baekhyun was torn between the desire to run after his girlfriend or stay and explain everything to his fiancée.