Luhan's Scheme

Stumbling Into My Past

Thank you for the support! This chapter may not be so eventful, but I wanted to introduce Luhan and his situation before the action begun. Anyways, enjoy. If you find this chapter too long, do tell me so I can change that in the next!

“Aren’t you excited, Luhan?” Mrs. Yi shrieked to her son, excitedly running into the family’s third dining room.

Luhan rolled his eyes. Here we go, he though, knowing exactly what his mother was squealing about.

“What’s to be excited about, honey?” Mr. Yi asked, setting down his glass of water.

Mrs. Yi jumped to the seat next to her husband, and began bouncing up and down as she answered. “The Han Jihyun is going to be Luhan’s classmate starting tomorrow!”

“What?!” Mr. Yi exclaimed, a hint of a smile forming in his lips. “That just shows you the amazing quality Han Academy has! To accept people as Han Jihyun into it. My God, I have to tell all my friends-“

“What? Amazing quality?” snorted Luhan, not believing his parents. “Didn’t you read today’s headlines? She’s an airhead that did not even finish middle school!”

“That’s not true,” Mrs. Yi exclaimed, jumping to her favorite actress’s defense. “She had a private tutor until her second-to-last year.”

“Besides, she’s not an airhead! She’s just too nice of a person,” Mr. Yi clarified, frowning at his son.

As his parents continued gushing about Han Academy’s new student, Luhan could only stare blankly at them. These are the owners of half the nation? he mentally asked himself, pursing his lips in distaste as they began to stuff food into their mouth, still talking in a loud voice about the ‘wonderful’ Han Jihyun. That isn’t even her real name, he laughingly thought. If people knew what she was before becoming the famous beauty she’s now…

Unlike seemingly everybody else, Luhan did recognize You the moment she appeared in her first drama. She had the same soft-featured face, except that much slimmer. Her hair was also styled quite differently, and those ugly, round glasses she wore back then were long gone.

He grabbed a gossip magazine his mother had left on one of the chairs, and inspected the cover, which sported a picture of a smiling You . He couldn’t help but smirk at the barely-noticeable dimple to the right of her lips. How can they not recognize her? he, for the thousandth time, asked himself.

He read the headline. Does Han Jihyun have a brain? He narrowed his eyes pensively. That was what baffled him. On TV, You acted like this annoying idiot who struggled with 2 + 2. But he knew she was the opposite. Sure, back then she was a doormat. But not an idiot. She had, after all, gotten a full scholarship to the academy. And even he had to admit that was quite admirable.

“You like what you see in that cover?” his mother mischievously asked, snapping him away from his thoughts.

Luhan set the magazine down, inspecting his parents with a quizzical eye. “Why would I like a plastic face?”

This garnered shocked gasps from his parents, tempting Luhan to explode into a loud and exasperated cackle.

“Plastic? She’s a natural beauty!” Mrs. Yi exclaimed quite finally. She pointed at her son. “In fact, why don’t you invite her over to dine with us? Then, we can inspect her face closely and see if she’s plastic or not.”

“That would most certainly be an amazingly bad idea,” Luhan muttered, stabbing his fork in his steak.

“Why do you dislike Han Jihyun so much?” Mr. Yi asked, clearly confused.

The same reason why I disliked her so much back in middle school, he mentally responded. To his parents, however, he said, “Well, maybe it has to do with the fact that she’s fake. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m heading up to my room. All this talk about Jihyun has made me lose my appetite.”

Luhan began to stand up, but Mr. Yi stopped him. “Son, before you go… have you gone through the list of wife prospects I gave you?”

Luhan stopped dead in his feet, his eye twitching in disgust. He didn’t even turn to look at his father. “Yes, I have, and I must say that none suites my taste. Marriage does not suit my taste. Especially before graduating high school.”

His mother sighed. “Sweetie. You have to marry before graduating. That’s what your grandfather said.”

Luhan pressed his lips together, feeling all his muscles tense up. His grandfather was an alright guy. But he worried too much about marriage, and thought that Luhan’s flirty ways would not permit him to find a suitable wife anytime soon. So he found a simple, yet exasperating, way to fix the issue: in his will, as clear as water, he had stated that if Luhan did not marry before graduating high school, he would not inherit Yi Group, but his older and much more mature (see also: boring) cousin, Lay would.

His father agreed with Mrs. Yi. “I know you don’t like it… we’re not so fond of the idea either-“

Luhan was gifted with many things (according to him), one of them being quick-thinking. So the moment his eyes accidentally landed on the cover image of You , a brilliant idea formed in his mind. I’m a genius, he thought to himself, smiling as he turned around. He grabbed the magazine, which had been sitting atop of their expensive mahogany, dining table, and slid it across to his parents.

“I already have a significant other who doesn’t wish to marry before graduating high school either,” he admitted (actually, lied), feigning embarrassment and grief.

His parents’ eyes widened as they stared at You ’s picture, and then back at Luhan, slowly connecting the dots.

Luhan sighed. He really loved his parents. They were actually the only people he really cared about, but he had to admit it… they had such a slow way of thinking, he wasn’t sure how Mr. Yi had kept Yi Group afloat without going bankrupt.

Mr. Yi stammered out. “But, why then… you hated her-“

Luhan took the moment Mrs. Yi began gushing and celebrating as his cue to leave.

You , I guess we’ll have to go on a couple of dates,” he chuckled, stepping inside his spacious room.