The Red Sneaker

Fairy Tales with a Twist

They say that there are probably hundreds of curse words in your own language. And imagine the curse words in a language that is different from yours. There is always the possibility that some other language has curse words that your own language doesn’t have.

And I’m pretty sure that I said at least half in each language I know and probably a little more.

Cursing out my life, this ball, my parents, and everything in between.

Fifth rule in “Ban Seulmi’s How to Act at an Extravagant but Worthless Party and Survive It” is never ever speak your thoughts out loud.

Even if you desperately want to shout it out to that annoying person in front of you who won’t stop talking.

Trust me, just don’t.

It probably will lead to you getting stared and whispered at for the rest of the evening or kicked out. And frankly, I would rather get kicked out.

So, I refrained from those lovely curse words and instead decided to take another shot of my drink, which was some funky looking pink champagne. Pink champagne.

You would think a party for the new heir of some hot-shot company of who-knows-what-but-it’s-probably-some-electronic-company, they would serve something less girly.

But I guess if it gets you drunk, it does its job.

And also, what kind of party doesn’t serve crab cakes?

I think my whole night was ruined when I couldn’t find any.

But it was already ruined when I was forced to come tonight.

Taking another glass from a passing server’s tray and leaving my empty one on top of it, I heard voices coming closer to me.

Third rule of “Ban Seulmi’s How to Act at an Extravagant but Worthless Party and Survive It” which will now be referred to by their own numbered rules (because I never realized how long it was) is never make eye contact.

It just works better that way. You pretend you don’t see them and they, being the polite people they have to be, don’t want to disturb you and will go on their merry way.

Unless they are naïve, family, or friends.

Rule number three never works on them. I’ve tried.

And apparently, it was one of the three because one of the voices said, “Well, well, well, look at the little cat that got dragged in.”

Clicking my tongue, I sighed. I knew that voice anywhere.

My eyes found his and he grinned his impossible little grin that made me want to go mad sometimes.

Dressed in a black dapper suit with a gold tie and an intricate designed gold masquerade mask with jet-black hair slicked back was Huang Zitao, a friend.

“Hello, sister.”

My eyes immediately found another. This time lower down and who was also dressed in a black suit but with a silver mask on, hair like warm chocolate.

Well, damn.

Two out of three.

A friend and a family member.

“Hey, little man.”

I could see my little brother bristle at my name for him, but being the proper and uptight thing he is, he didn’t say anything about it. “Your friend asked where you were. Of course, I hadn’t had the faintest clue. But he insisted on finding you with me. And you are found.”

He bowed to both of us with a stiff manner that I wondered how the hell he managed to keep his back so straight. A secret apparently I haven’t learned yet out of my siblings.

“I hope you two have a pleasant evening.”

And with that I watched my brother robotically walk away into the crowd.

“You sure that kid’s only fifteen years old?” the male next to me whispered.

Oh, I’m positive, my dear friend. And he’s also not a robot. I’ve checked. And that led to blood and very cross parents.

Especially at the fact that the only heir to their lineage was only slightly injured.

“Well, it doesn’t matter,” he continued. He looked at me and gave me a hug. “I can’t believe you actually came! And you’re looking pretty fine. Though I’ve never thought I would see you in another dress,” he faked sobbed like an overemotional mother. Not that my mother was ever like that.

 “Forced was like it,” I muttered as I gazed down at my dress. A light green-aqua ball gown with sequined silver star on the left side of it. I was also wearing a green masquerade mask lined with gold designs and nest of feathers on the right side. At least everything was in my favorite color.

“But even if you were forced, I’m glad you came!” the dark-haired male exclaimed.

Huang Zitao, or Tao as I like to affectionately call him, in the sole son of the CEO of the Chunghwa Construction Company. Despite his looks of pure ridiculousness, he is actually a capable person.

Even I couldn’t believe it, especially when he acts like this.

“Don’t you just love parties like these, Seulmi?” he exclaimed, throwing one arm around my shoulder.

I groaned internally once I heard his words. I knew where he was going with this, and I wasn’t in the mood for another one of his plans to hit on the girls.

“No, I don’t. And you already knew that, Tao,” I muttered, shoving his arm off of mine.

He pouted slightly before grinning with a mischievous smile. Something I learned to associate with bad things.

“Ah, but tonight is special,” he grinned as he winked at me. “Do you know why?”

“I don’t want to know,” I muttered back, looking away from him knowing that he wouldn’t listen.

But of course, he continues on. “Because the heir of the newly risen Amore East cosmetic and beauty company is finally going to make his appearance. Of course, under the guise of a mask, but nevertheless, he is here.”

Huh. Cosmetics. I guess that explains the pink champagne.

“Not interested,” I replied dryly.

Which of course, is the truth. I never was interested in the first place. And if it was up to me, I would have never set foot in this place.

But no, obviously that can’t happen when there’s a new male in town. Who’s obviously rich and probably handsome. That last part is a bit iffy.

And when there’s fresh meat in town, you can bet all the families are going to set their daughters loose on him. Me included.

And Tao knew that. And he knew me.

“He’s rich,” he tempted.

“I know.”

“And handsome.”

“And how do you know that?”

“Beauty company? The guy got to have some style if he’s going to run a beauty company.”

“Fair point.”

“So?”

“No way in hell. Because like I said, not interested.”

“Oh, please Seulmi. If you continue like this, you’ll grow up old and alone and not very rich.”

I tsked in distaste. “Now you just sound like my mother. And if you’re so interested in the romantic life, why aren’t you trying to find a girl?”

Tao grinned at me. That’s never good.

Oh, but I do. I just have one specific one in mind.”

I frowned. The way he said those words made me feel uncomfortable. Like there was a chill went down my spine.

“Who…” My face went slack when I followed his gaze. “No, don’t you dare, Tao.”

But the person in his view caught us staring at her and waved, walking towards us.

“Hello, Huang Zitao. Hello, Seulmi.”

Tao smiled and picked up her hand to kiss it. “You look lovely tonight.”

“Oh, thank you. You’re such a charmer. I just love people like you.”

Tao went slack with happiness.

Man down. Man down, I say.

She looked at me and smiled happily. “You’re wearing the dress I picked out!”

I glanced at my attire and then back up at my older sister.

The star of the family. My sister is what you call the epitome of a woman. Graceful, elegant, delicate but well-versed with her words, someone who knows when to speak and when not to. A skill, according to my parents, I have yet to learn. Every eligible young bachelor wants to win her hand in marriage, but alas, the pretty one has a lover.

Which means Tao can’t hit on her.

I do hope he caught the glare I gave him. But the poor guy’s too love-stricken too see anything but her.

Looking back at my sister I gave her a smile. I love her dearly, but we’ve grown apart as we gotten older, so there’s still some awkwardness. But nevertheless, my sister is a kind soul. “I did. I liked it best out of all the choices.”

She smiled happily, putting her hands together in delight. “Oh, that’s lovely.” She paused, face scrunched up in thought. “That’s right. Mother was looking for you.”

I groaned and pushed myself further in the corner than I already was. Rule number two: Find a corner and stay in the corner.

“Tell her I’m unavailable at the moment. Or better yet, tell her you never saw me.”

And my dear sister, bless her soul, gave me a scolding frown. “Seulmi! You can’t do that. Mother was desperately looking for you.”

“Probably found another guy to hook me up with,” I muttered under my breath.

Thankfully, she didn’t hear that and shook her head. “Well, I won’t tell her unless she asks, alright? And do try and mingle a little bit more. I would have never saw you if it wasn’t for your friend.”

Right. Tao was still here. He hadn’t made a peek since my sister got here. And this guy never shuts up. And yep, still star-stuck.

I sighed, pushed Tao softly from the back, waking him up from his zombie state. I waved them off. “I’m sure you have places to be, people to talk to. Tao will accompany you. Right, Tao?”

He nodded slowly.

My sister smiled and put her arm out which she then slipped into Tao’s. “And try and not cause a scene,” she whispered.

Oh, she knows me too well.

I waved them off, drinking the rest of my pink champagne, which I must admit, isn’t so bad.

Glancing at the large clock at the front of the room, I sighed at the fact that the party wasn’t even halfway done yet. There was still many more hours before I was home free.

But I was getting a little hungry. My eyes scanned the room, trying to figure out which waiter had something I wanted to eat.

It’s like a game, really. Pick one out, wait until they approach the area of your vicinity, and pounce like an owl in the sky.

And the side quests, make small talk with the other guests who managed to pass through rule number three of not making eye contact.

Rule number four. Never make conversations longer than they have to be.

And always answer in one worded answers, and if need be, two to four to six is fine.

How are you?

Good.

How are your parents/siblings?

Doing just lovely.

Have a boyfriend?

Not yet.

The weather’s nice.

Yes. If you like the cold.

End of conversation.

Works every time.

After popping another hors d'oeuvres into my mouth, I smiled politely after waving off a couple who were my parents’ friends.

I glanced at the clock again. Halfway mark. And there hasn’t been a peek about the never seen before heir. And I’m beginning to wonder if he’ll make an appearance. But according to Tao, he’s somewhere in there mingling.

But I’m cool if he doesn’t either. I suppose the best things about these parties are the free food.

Eyeing the waiters again, I noticed something in my peripheral.

Target is a male with black mask. Looks young, about same age as me. Identity unknown. Proceed to ignore.

But apparently, the unknown male doesn’t understand the action called ignoring because he proceeded to talk.

“Nice party, huh?”

I almost spit out my finger sandwich in laugher.

Who the hell starts a conversation like that?

Stop, Seulmi. Rule number five. No speaking thoughts out loud.

“Yes, it is.”

He glanced at me before resuming staring at the crowd like I was.

“So, what’s a pretty miss like you hanging around a dark corner like this?”

Was this guy trying to hit on me? He's going to have to do better than that.

I shrugged in response.

The male continued. “But I guess I understand your preference to be here. It’s quiet, away from the entire clamor.”

Hmm, not too shabby, not too shabby.

“But really, you should go out a little and socialize. You can’t stand here all night long.”

Or not. I guess he doesn’t really understand.

“That’s probably what your mother would say, right?”

Oh, my. Not bad at all. I finally gave the male next to me a proper examination.

Dark brown hair styled neatly and dark eyes that seemed to twinkle with the light staring back at me were the first things I noticed. And that smirk, like he knew he caught me.

“Actually, I’m a night goblin and I can’t stand bright areas. Sorry,” I replied.

His eyes widened, before laughing. “I’ve heard lots of things before, but never that. It feels like you’re trying to drive me away, hm?”

And he knows my intentions. This guy’s good.

Relaxing a little more, he leaned back against the wall and sighed.

I glanced at him, my curiosity getting the better of me.

“What about you?” I asked. “I’m pretty sure you’re not like me who absolutely detests these sorts of things.”

He frowned. “Even so, we all need a breather once in a while. And you’re wrong. I’m not for these kinds of events either, but it’s sort of mandatory. Especially for me.”

I couldn’t help but even more interested, an eyebrow raised along with it. “And why is that?”

He smiled, one corner of his lips curving up for a slight second as if he was laughing at something. “Obviously at the fact of who the party is for.”

I snorted, taking another sip of my drink which was now sparkling apple cider. A girl can handle only so much pink champagne. “Yeah, this mysterious heir which no one has seen before and no one here knows his name. I’m starting to think this guy’s a fraud.”

He chuckled in response. “You can’t help that no one knows a thing about him. He’s new money. A sudden upstart in the midst of all these old money.” There was a slight gleam in his eye. “And I’m sure he’ll announce himself to the crowd soon enough.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. He sounded so sure of himself. Like he knew for a fact it was going to happen. How suspicious. “And how do you know that?”

He laughed, opening his mouth to answer me when he was interrupted.

“Darling!”

Oh, no.

There was only one person who would call me that.

I turned around to see my mother smiling at me. But not with her eyes.

She caught the sight of the unfamiliar male next to me and greeted him politely. “Oh, my. So sorry to interrupt your conversation, but I must speak to my daughter.”

He nodded, gesturing that it was fine.

And with a firm grip, my dear mother dragged me away a little off to another quiet place.

I shot a look to my previous conversation partner, a look of desperation and a need of assistance. But all he did was mouth “Good luck” and a thumbs up for good measure.

It didn’t help that he look like he was about to burst with laughter.

Damn him.

“Ban Seulmi,” my mother hissed at me.

I looked at her, not saying a word because I know from experience that it was better not to say anything when she lectured. It doesn’t mean I don’t think anything though.

“What do you think you’re doing?” she continued.

Hiding.

“The heir of the Amore East is here, and you’re not doing anything?”

I didn’t know I was supposed to. Well, no, I do. But I don’t want to.

“I heard from Mrs. Lee already that he had danced with her daughter and was absolutely enamored with her. And you’re just standing in that dingy corner. I expect you to dance with him at least once.”

Now I frowned. “But Mother, I don’t even know who he is, much less knows what he looks like. And how does anybody know? He wasn’t even formally introduced. And plus, how do we know he’s even looking for a girl?”

She sighed exasperatedly as if she didn’t know how I could be so silly.

“Of course he has to look at all the potential marriage partners,” she said. “But he can’t do that publicly. He has to look around himself. And someone overheard him speaking about it. And you know dear, rumors travel fast.”

So they do. Crazy how these mothers work so fast.

She grabbed my arm, pulling me down so she could whisper in my ear. She gestured to a male in a gray suit who was dancing with a female in a red gown, both with matching masks of their color. “That’s him,” she hissed. “And I expect you to know what to do.”

Do what? Charm him with my womanly charms? Not that it exists. But alright, Mother. Whatever you say.

I sighed, relenting. There was no fighting my mother on this.

“Fine,” I murmured back. “I can do one dance, I suppose.”

She smiled happily. “Good. I’ll be watching,” she nodded while walking off.

Well, now that’s a scary thought.

I walked back to my previous spot and was surprised to see the boy still there.

He smiled when I came back.

“Oh, you’re back. I was starting to get bored.”

I laughed. “I didn’t know I was that interesting.”

He shrugged. “The people here are a bit drab and spiteful. You’re at least more interesting than all of that.”

I groaned. “I know what you mean. All trying to cling on the coattails of all the successful families. Why can’t we settle for who we are and live peacefully?”

He snorted. “Not in this society. I think it would be impossible. And it makes it hard to know who to trust.”

“Then you probably shouldn’t trust me.”

That got him interested. “Oh, why?”

“Well, for starters. My mother, through her impossible ways of knowing, found out who the main attraction and pointed him out to me. And she wants me to make myself known to him.”

The boy nodded, his dark eyes laughing. “It’s understandable. The mothers here want the best for their daughters.”

I scoffed. “More like they want the money that comes along with it. Pathetic, really. But my mother really does want to best for us. I just wish she wouldn’t force us to do something like this.”

“You are going to though?”

I nodded. “It’ll make her happy. I’ve disappointed her far too much.”

He stayed quiet, letting my words sink in. “Well, what are the others reasons of why I can’t trust you?”

I glanced at him before leaning in. “I’m a troublemaker. There hasn’t been one party I’ve been to that I haven’t caused a disturbance.”

“Really?” he murmured back in delighted surprise. “I wish I could have seen them.”

I frowned. “You should have if you’ve been to these sorts of parties. Unless you’re a newbie. And there hasn’t been a new family in ages.”

He smiled mysteriously. “So what happens then? Do you get in a lot of trouble?”

He was changing the topic. Which means he didn’t want to talk about his new presence at these parties. And I wasn’t going to pry even though I was curious.

But I also hesitated. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to tell him about rule number six. Which is to have an escape plan if rule number one occurred. I did have one.

I already secured a good relationship with the coat clerk, and he had a duffel bag of my regular civilian clothes and my good sneakers.

I also scoped out the place and already planned an escape route the quickest place possible. A quick signal to the clerk and he would throw me my stuff just as I made my escape out the door or window.

It’s taken years of practice to get it down. And lucky me, I had plenty of experiences to make sure I had it down pat. Quite unfortunate, if you actually think about it.

But seeing how this unknown boy had similar interests like mine, I felt it would be alright to divulge some my secrets.

Plus, it would be nice to have a new comrade-in-arms.

So I told him just that, minus the information on how I got the coat clerk to work with me. And all of my previous experiences from before.

There were just some things better left unsaid.

He looked impressed. Which made me feel a bit giddy that someone at least appreciated my efforts, no matter how contradictory they were to this party, even to my own life.

“Quite the plan you thought out. I wonder why I never thought about getting the workers to aid me.”

I grinned as I nudged him with my elbow softly. “Always happy to help a friend in cause. And the matter with the workers is that they are always up for a little adventure. Well, most of them. Try and look for the younger ones. They are usually more likely to help.”

“Friend, huh?” he mused, smirking at me. “Even though we just met?”

I shrugged, not understanding why he was fixated on that specific word. “Sure, but if you don’t like it, I understand.”

“Don’t you think we need to introduce ourselves first?” he asked with a grin.

I frowned. “You first, stranger.”

“I rather go last.”

“That’s sounds mighty suspicious.”

He laughed at that. “Trust me. You would rather like it if I introduced myself later.”

I watched him, trying to see where he was going with this. This boy was mysterious yet suspicious in the way that he was vague about himself. I wasn’t sure if I about to trust him.

But then again, I did just reveal my last resort escape plan, and he did seem pretty fond of it. I’m sure anybody who’s cool with my escape plan can’t be too bad of a person.

Plus, he likes crab cakes.

Anybody who likes crab cakes can’t be that bad. Which reminds me, he did say he saw crab cakes here.

But before I could tell him my name, I caught eyes with someone.

And not just anybody.

Oh, no.

It was Mr. Elusive himself. The star of the party.

And for some odd reason he was coming this way and stopped right in front of me.

“Hello, there. Care for a dance?”

I stared blankly at him.

I couldn’t believe that he singled me out, especially since I parked myself in this dark corner.

But after looking closely at him. The stranger in a gray mask, he looked impossibly tired. As if he just went through million of obligatory dances with daughters of too many families.

And I felt bad for him.

He probably was forced by his own parents to socialize with the men about who knows what and dance with the ladies.

Dude’s got it tough.

So I smiled at him and gestured to the left of me, right beside me and the other stranger.

“Why don’t you rest for a second? You look like you’re going to die of exhaustion. Maybe this can count as our ‘dance’.”

The star of the party looked like he wanted to refuse, his dark eyes stricken with disbelief. He was probably going to say that it was bad manners, but with one look at me and my stubbornness, he relented.

“God, you don’t know how badly I wanted to do this,” he murmured, leaning against the wall. “Do you know how many girls I had to dance with tonight? Probably more than fifty. There’s only so much I can handle. And I’m not exactly the greatest dancer.”

“You’re doing a great service for tonight. You know, since you are the newly acclaimed heir,” the man in the black mask said while grinning.

The one in the gray mask, who seemed to lose all sense of formality, shot him a glare. “Yeah, no thanks to someone.”

I watched them. They looked very familiar with each other. Something like…

“Friends?” I asked

They both turned to look at me and then looked at each other.

My comrade in the black mask smirked. “Something like that.”

About to retort back on why he can never give a sound answer, I noticed my mother staring at us.

I looked at the heir in the gray mask and quickly whispered, “I hate to cut this chat short, but my mother’s looking at us. So, if you are so inclined, I would accept that dance of yours.”

He looked surprised at the sudden change of atmosphere but seemed to understand that his peaceful time of resting was over.

He sighed, “Well, it was nice anyways.” He put out his hand which I took it.

I took a look at the male who I just had a pleasant conversation earlier. “Will you be here later?”

He grinned. “Why? Are you going to miss me?”

I snorted. “I feel like a dance would be proper.”

“If it’s for a dance, I would gladly accept.”

I grinned as the heir of Amore East whisked me off to the dance floor.

We danced in silence for a while before he spoke up. “Sorry to ask, but did you know him?”

It took me a second to understand exactly who he was talking about. “Oh, the guy from before? Kind of. We talked for a bit. And he’s a pretty interesting guy.”

He nodded, biting his lip.

I grinned internally at this. He really was just a regular boy, probably slightly older than me, but nevertheless, someone who I could probably call a friend.

“You know, you can drop the formalities. We look about the same age, and you don’t have to worry about me chasing after you. I plan on finding a guy that I like based on my own likes. Not on money or status. So, you know, we can be friends first.”

He seemed surprised, but after thinking for a second he grinned. “I would like that.”

I couldn’t help but to grin back. He had a cute grin, like a cat. And his voice was melodic as well.

“So, Mr. Star of the Show. Are you ever going to tell me your name? I don’t think anybody knows it.”

He laughed. “That was the point, you know. I was supposed to go incognito and observe everyone. But somehow, people found out who I was. And now I have to accept every invitation for a dance.” He looked around before leaning in to whisper, “It’s really tiring.”

I nodded sympathetically, “I bet.”

“And as far as my name goes, it’s Kim J–”

He stopped and shook his head before slyly grinning at me. “I’ll announce it later.”

“Aww, why?” I pouted.

“Because isn’t the sense of meeting someone mysterious that much more exciting?”

 I snorted. “I hate to break it to you, but your cover’s been blown a long time ago.”

He made a face. “I know, but just let me have this.”

I rolled my eyes. “Alright.”

We ended the dance on a good note, and he said it would be nice to hang out sometime soon. Just as friends without the pretense of any status. Along with the other mysterious male who he assured was his friend.

And I was cool with that.

After he was called away on another dance by another pretty daughter of another high ranking company, I set my way back to my corner.

I would have made it, but I something caught my eye.

Crab cakes.

The ever so elusive crab cakes. Even more elusive the heir of Amore East.

And I wasn’t about to let them disappear on me just yet.

However, the waiter was a little far away, and he just didn’t seem to hear my cries of “Oh, crab cakes.”

So I might have rushed to him a little too quickly. And in my rush to get to the waiter with the crab cakes, I might have accidently nudged another one of the waiters who, from the slight force of my body, accidently let his tray tip over which was unfortunately carrying the pink champagne.

And even more unfortunately, that pink champagne found its way on top a poor soul.

A poor soul who I now recognized in slight terror was the heir of Amore East.

And just when I became friends with him.

He looked shocked.

I wouldn’t blame him really. I would be too. Glasses of pink champagne dumped on top of you. Never a good way to end a party. Or interrupt it.

And while the waiter continuously apologized, everyone who was now watching knew it wasn’t his fault. How could it?

He was simply standing there being the good waiter he was.

No, it was obviously the girl behind him who was looking just as shocked as he was with a hand over who was thinking, “Well, .”

I would have helped him, really. I mean, we just became friends. And I always help friends.

But sometimes, we all think in the best interests of ourselves. And even though I would have helped Mr. Kim I-Don’t-Know-His-First-Name, I was thinking in the best interest of myself. And that included seeing my mother and seeing the anger in her face even though she was trying to keep a calm look.

As her daughter, I knew when she wanted to murder me. I’ve seen it plenty of times. But this time she looked like we wanted to strangle me, boil me in hot water, and then murder me as if I weren't dead enough yet.

And screw you if you think I would willingly accept that.

Plus, I just broke rule number one: Never cause a disturbance. And boy, did I ever. So, that meant rule number six came into play. It was time to execute my escape plan.

In the sudden pandemonium as people started to rush to the heir of Amore East, we exchanged looks as I mouthed, “Sorry” to him. He looked like he was trying to hold in laughter.

And with another look at my mother, I knew it was time to take my grand departure.

First step was to see how far away I was from any exit. Fortunately, the door leaving out of the ballroom was quite close and the coat station was even closer.

I ran like my life depended on it, but in all honestly, it really did. I could almost hear my mother coming after me.

As I approached the coat station, I was readying my signal for the coat clerk, but instead I was met with my duffel bag.

I looked at him in confusion, slowing down only the tiniest bit.

He grinned. “I figured you would need this. And thanks for the show.”

I gave the young man a salute and a grin and ran out the ballroom.

It’s never fun to run in high heels even though I mastered it. So, in one fluid motion, I pulled them off. And trust me, this takes certain skill.

I pushed them in my duffel bag and rummaged through to fine my sneakers.

Pulling on one of my red shoes, I hopped while still moving forward.

Then came the other.

I pulled it out, until I heard, “Wait! Please, wait!”

It surprised me, really. I was pretty sure that it wasn’t my mother. She would never say anything so polite.

But I didn’t even give the person a glance because in my surprise I had dropped my shoe down the stairs and had no idea where it landed.

I cursed my bad luck and also at the house.

Why do rich families find it necessary to have enormous staircases?

Nevertheless, I wasn’t about to run down the stairs half bare-footed.

The only solution was to slide down the handrail which I was already planning on doing.

It’s faster by 38%. I’ve checked.

And with that final obstacle in the way, I ran out the house and into the night.

  

Despite having my escape route perfectly planned and executed, except for the minor loss of a red sneaker, I seem to forget one glaring problem.

How to get home.

I usually get one of my friends to take me, one who isn’t part of the high society. But it seemed like every single one of them was busy.

So, with nothing else to do, I trekked the way home with the idea of help of public transportation.

But this family seemingly liked its isolation as the house was deep in the hills.

Lovely.

At least everything was downhill.

Except for the fact that I only had one shoe on. And wearing high heels on hills was not the brightest of ideas.

Lights from a car came up behind me and engulfed me. I turned around to see who it was, the light blinding me completely.

Shading my eyes, a white Cadillac drove up beside me, the passenger’s window rolling down.

“Need a ride, princess?”

I couldn’t help but grin.

“We all know that I’m the furthest thing from a princess.”

“Aww, but then we can’t call me your prince on white horse.”

I looked at the white Cadillac. “This is your fine steed?”

He frowned. “Don’t make fun of my baby.”

I rolled my eyes. “I think I’ll take that offer, Prince Huang Zitao.”

He grinned and leaned over to open the passenger door.

And just as quick as he came, he drove down the hills and sent me home.

 

To say that my mother was furious is an understatement.

I wasn’t surprised in the least when she scolded me to the ends of the Earth.

But I was more surprised on the fact on why she was so mad at me.

It wasn’t because I accidently knocked over pink champagne over heir of Amore East, but it more of the fact that it was the heir of Amore East.

But hell, I shouldn’t even be surprised at that.

“What are you going to do? He’ll never consider you a potential marriage partner now that you are the cause of his embarrassment! Especially on the night of his formal appearance. He didn’t even do that!”

Yep. Apparently after the little fiasco I caused, the party abruptly ended. He was immediately taken away to a quieter place after being splashed with pink champagne. And apparently there isn’t a point to stay at a party when the guest of honor isn’t even attending. So everyone went home, each one talking about how the middle child and younger daughter of the Ban family had once again caused quite the entertainment.

It was nice to know my reputation didn’t die from all the parties I didn’t attend.

“You’ll never find someone!” my mother lamented.

I noticed she didn’t add rich and handsome at the end of that sentence.

And I’m sorry, Mother, that I didn’t manage to secure a second date. Maybe next time.

Which also meant that I didn’t know why the hell we were back in the same place the next morning.

I was utterly confused.

My father only explained that the heir of Amore East had an announcement to make and wanted to formally introduce himself to the high society properly. He said that I had to come. No questions.

“The least you can do is apologize,” my mother had also said.

I had planned to. Really. But I was planning waiting out a week or two. Just in case he was angry at me. Better to be safe than sorry.

So there we were, all the families back in the same ballroom again, all whispering about last night’s events. Some even glanced at me in awe.

Take a picture; it lasts longer.

And then a quiet hush came upon us as a young man walked up stage.

“Hello, everyone. I’m extremely happy to know that you all are here despite last night’s event. And I’m pleased to say that I am the heir of Amore East. And that I feel welcomed to be here.”

I narrowed my eyes because I was sure as hell that wasn’t the heir of Amore East. The heir of Amore East had the cat smile and pleasant voice. This one had that dangerous twinkle in his eyes and the laughing smirk. Which was familiar because I was also sure as hell that he was the same person who I talked to earlier in the evening. The person who I thought was my comrade-in-arms.

And it seemed like I wasn’t the only one who thought the same thing as many whispers arose from the crowd.

But it seemed like he expected it as he continued on. “My name is Kim Jongin and this,” he said as he gestured someone to come up on stage with him, “Is Kim Jongdae. My cousin and best friend.”

Now that’s the heir of Amore East. And the person I danced with. And the person who I unfortunately had pink champagne spilled on.

I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding. It seemed like this was turning out much more than I expected.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Kim Jongin continued, settling the crowd once again. “My cousin was the one who you all thought was the heir of Amore East. And I apologize in advance that this was all planned. I wanted to know who I could trust. And I’m sure most of you agree in that sentiment.”

Some people in the crowd nodded in agreement, surprised at the fact that this young heir thought of such a plan. While other paled in response, presumably saying some things that should have been unsaid last night.

I was more amused than anything.

“I am willing to answer your question, but all in due time. I also have another announcement I would like to make.” Kim Jongin pulled something off the ground and held it up. “I would like to meet the owner of this shoe.”

My eyes widened at the sight. It was the red sneaker I left last night.

“Ban Seulmi, if you are here, I would like to talk to you after this. Thank you. And I will end this gathering here. There are refreshments for your enjoyment.”

Kim Jongin left the stage with Kim Jongdae following after him.

After a moment of silence passed, everyone looked at me which I waved in response.

And as a spell had been broken, everyone started talking and going for the refreshments.

I had other plans, however. I first looked at family. “Did any of you say anything to him?” I asked.

My mother, sister, and brother all shook their heads.

My father, on the other hand, looked awkwardly away.

“Dad,” I hissed, forgetting that I was using a colloquial term.

He shrugged. “I didn’t do anything. He already knew your name. He simply asked me if Ban Seulmi was my daughter. Of course I said yes. And all he asked for was for you to be here today. How did I know that you left your shoe here?”

“That doesn’t matter,” my mother said while smiling. “He’s asking for you; you shouldn’t keep him waiting.”

I frowned. I knew my mother was hoping that somehow the real heir of Amore East had become fond of me. In her eyes, I didn’t exactly fail last night. I still had a chance.

I sighed and walked out the side door of the ballroom and towards the back of a hallway where a single door lay.

The man who was next to it, presumably a butler, bowed at me. “Ah, Miss Ban Seulmi. Master is waiting for you inside.” He waved me towards the door.

I hesitated before knocking.

And after just two knocks, the door swung open, and I came face to face with Kim Jongdae.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me inside.

“Hi!” he cheerily chirped.

“Hello?” I awkwardly replied. And I realized exactly who I was talking to. “I am so sorry, you don’t even know. I would have helped you, but um, there were circumstances.”

He waved it aside. “Don’t worry about it. It was quite the experience. And quite refreshing.”

“And just when we became friends,” I murmured sadly.

“Who said we aren’t? We still are. If anything, I think it makes us closer friends. Like they say, people bond over drinks.”

 I grinned at him. “Not like that though. Next time we’ll bond properly.”

“And since when have you two become friends?”

I realized then that the real heir of Amore East was sitting inside the room as well.

I gazed at Kim Jongin who had a red sneaker in his lap. I walked over to him, putting a hand out.

“I would like it if you gave that back. I thought I would never see it again after it went down the dark pit of darkness.”

He laughed as he tossed it to me.

I caught it with ease and looked down at it. I looked back at him who was now comfortably lounging in his chair. His cousin was doing the same.

“How did you know it was mine? And how did you know my name?”

Jongin grinned, pointing at the shoe. “Your name was written on the tongue of it.”

I let a soft laugh. Curse my elementary habit of writing my name on my shoes.

“So…” I started.

“So…” he responded back.

“What was all of that? You’re the real deal? Not Mr. Faker over here?”

“Hey,” Jongdae called out.

Jongin smirked. “That’s right.”

“I thought something was weird about you. I even thought you were the heir until my mother pointed out Jongdae here.”

“That was planned as well,” Jongdae revealed. “Jongin was talking to me and ‘accidently’ let it slip that I was the heir of Amore East. Little did they know the real one was walking amongst them.”

“You poor soul,” I murmured, shaking my head.

“Me?” Jongdae asked in surprise, pointing to himself.

I nodded. “Your evil cousin forced you to pretend to be him, and you got stuck dancing with a million people.”

Jongdae slunk in his chair. “Yeah, that part .” His phone made a little chirp which he then pulled out. Reading the message, he stood up. “I got to go. Mom’s asking for me.”

He gave a salute and as he walked past me, he stopped and looked at me. “You know, Jongin called dibs on you, but if you ever get bored of him, just know that I’m available.”

He winked at me as I laughed. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

He left the room so that it was just Jongin and me.

“You’ll keep that in mind?” Jongin repeated, a slight edge in voice.

I grinned. “Sure, Jongdae’s a cool guy. I wouldn’t mind someone like him. Why? Did you have someone else in mind?”

“I missed you after you danced with the fake heir,” he replied instead.

“Sorry if saving my life was more of a priority. I’m pretty sure my mother was going to skin me alive.”

“But she didn’t. That’s good. I would hate to see a pretty face like yours get ruined.”

“You’re really a smooth talker, aren’t you? Tone it down a little, will you. There’s so much cheesiness that I can handle.”

“But you can handle Jongdae’s cheesiness?” he murmured with a slight pout.

“It’s not as bad as yours. Why? Are you jealous?”

He looked away. “Maybe,” he murmured.

“We just met,” I reminded with a laugh.

“But I found you first.”

I rolled my eyes. “I’m not some treasure to be found.”

He looked at me and grinned, his eyes twinkling like always. “Ah, but you are, you know. Someone like you is rare in this type of society. And I like it.”

I grinned back. “You’re not bad yourself. Pulling something like this takes guts. But I like it.”

He stood up, walking towards me with a grin.

But before he could get any closer I stuck my hand out.

He looked confused, staring at my hand and then back at me.

“But I think we should start with introductions, no?” I said with a grin, going back to our previous conversation from last night.

He chuckled as he took my hand and shook it. “Hello, I’m Kim Jongin. And I’m the heir of Amore East.”

“Hi, I’m Ban Seulmi. And I’m the most trouble you’ll find in a while.”

 


Cinderella with Kim Jongin/ Kai (EXO)

 

A/N: Continuing on with another EXO member, this time with Kai.

Like I promised, this story is more light-hearted than the others.

I was going for comedy if you didn’t notice. Hopefully, you noticed.

And I was also trying for the first-person perspective. It was harder than I thought. I had to rewrite the beginning a couple of times before I was satisfied with it. It was fun though.

Cinderella is a classic. But I guess that only real similarity is that they both lost a shoe and the prince finds it in order to locate her. Plus, Cinderella wanted to go to the ball. Seulmi didn’t.

But it’s a twist on the story so I can do whatever I want, haha.

 

With ideas to spare, let’s see what I’ll cook up next.