Introductions

Mission: Flowers (Do or Die)

“Ahe-hem!” Baekhyun squared his shoulders as he looked himself in the mirror, clad in faded jeans and white tank-top with a light-grey cardigan drawn over. Casual. That’s the way to go.

“So, uh… I’ve seen you around,” he began, but quickly shook his head. No, that’s not good. He cleared his throat again. “Ah. Ah,” he tested. “Okay...”

“Hey, um, I’ve been passing by your university like, everyday. And I see you like… every day. So I pretty much know you even though you don’t know me – but that could change – if you go out with me…” He dropped his face into his hands, massaging his temples, before trying again.

“Hey, remember me? I’m the guy you walked over…” He shook his head, pinching his eyes closed.

“These flowers are beautiful, and so are you. So I thought I’d give them to you. No, I don’t think I’ve ever introduced myself; every time I tried, you walked over me…”

He sighed and just stared lifelessly at his reflection. What was the point? He would just come off as creepy no matter what.

“No,” he told himself. “We’re gonna do this; do or die.”

Or die in the process…

--

A good fifteen minutes, and there was still no sign of her. By now his legs were sore from crouching behind the bushes and his arms were aching as they held up a bunch of yellow carnations behind his back.

Some older ladies doing yoga in the grassy field a few feet away were giving him weird looks, but Baekhyun ignored them.

Finally she came. A girl with long, pretty black hair walked out the door and made her way down the front steps. He spun around behind the bush, taking deep breaths and clutching the stock of flowers to his chest.

This is it…

When he heard footsteps approaching, he took a calming breath before jumping out from behind the bushes.

“Holy – ! Oh my god - “ She stepped back, bracing a hand over her chest. “Are you trying to kill someone?!”

“I, uh…”

Blank. His mind… just blank.

“Um…”

“Hello?” she demanded. “What the heck is wrong with you?”

“Flowers!” he said, and shaking, extended the carnations towards her, tears threatening to give in.

She examined them for a bit before slowly meeting his eyes. “Are these for me…?”

He nodded eagerly.

“Um, thank you?” She slowly relieved him of his burden. “Do I know you though?”

“Nope, but I know you.”

. . Stupid mouth.

“I MEAN – “ he tried to correct himself, but her eyes were now widened at him. “You walked over me a couple of times and I pass by this place like everyday – I mean, you must have seen me at least once, right?”

Way to go, Baekhyun. You’re a freaking creep.

“Uh, I guess… I mean, your face does look a bit familiar,” she said, examining his messy black hair and his ‘I don’t care how I look’ attire (he desperately hoped that’s what it came off as – he didn’t want to look too eager).

“Great!” he blurted and then mentally slapped himself. “So then, did you, uh – did you want to go out? - I know this really nice place – Flying Dragon – it has the best sushi in the world.”

“Um, I don’t know…“ She looked at him oddly.

“But you’re not busy though, right? It’s a Tuesday.”

Crap. He wasn’t supposed to know that.

No, I was not creeping your facebook. Name: Park Yeollie, birthday: April 21, hobby: snowshoeing

 – Stop it – stop it, brain!

He pinched his eyes closed, trying to get rid of all those annoying thoughts.

That’s when he heard the most magical ever: a laugh. Her laugh. It was silver-clear; a cross between melodious and obnoxious - and oh my god. It was wonderful.

He risked opening one eye and then the other to witness the phenomenon.

She grinned at him, eyes twinkling. “Yeah, sure. Why not. Since I don’t have practice today, or much to do.”

His eyes tripled in size. “REALLY?“

“But I should go back to my dorm first, to change. Is that okay?”

“Yeah, of course. Take your time, please.”

“Okay. Six o’ clock at Flying Dragon?”

“Yeah.”

“Alright.” She rummaged through her bag and took out a pen and paper. After scribbling something on it she passed it to him.

“My number,” she said. “Text me yours and I’ll give you a ring when I leave.”

He stared at the wrinkled piece of paper like it was a holy revelation of some kind. “Y-yeah. Okay. I’ll do that.”

She paused, crossing her arms. “You’re right…” she said, looking at him. “I think I have seen you somewhere before.”

Baekhyun gulped. She’s openly staring at him - but he shaved this morning, so it’s totally fine.

 She nodded her head thoughtfully. “Yeah, you definitely look familiar. Anyway, I’ll see you then?”

“Huh – oh yeah.”

“Okay then. Bye!” she said with a smile, and walked away, waving.

He smiled too and waved back weakly, mind still in a daze.

After she turned the corner he sighed in relief. He did it. And against all creepy odds…

Five minutes later and Baekhyun was walking home, smiling like an idiot to himself, as he death-gripped the piece of paper with her number on it. He stared at it over and over again, only to burst into a fit of giggles like a school girl every time. 

If there was something he learned from this, it was that Tao wasn't always right and jumping out from behind bushes was the way to go.

Mission complete.