Until Then

Until Then

It was mid July 2013, Song Joong Ki had been pondering a lot about his future. His career was starting to soar thanks to the recognitions and awards he received from Nice Guy and Werewolf Boy. In his previous interview, he mentioned that he wanted to fall in love in 2013, true enough, he actually did. His lips crept into a smile thinking about the woman who captivated his heart, Moon Chae Won.

She was his co-star in Nice Guy, and during the filming they were able to form a special bond. They enjoyed  each other’s company which was undeniable in the eyes of not only the crew but the audience as well. He chose to neglect his feelings at first, but as the drama’s closure came nearer, his feelings for her became stronger. Finally, after their closing party he  confessed to her.  He knew it was a big risk, and her answer would make or break his heart.

“Joong Ki-sshi” she uttered with her shocked expression

“I do feel the same way” she continued, Joong Ki felt his heart racing

“But-“ he gulped hearing this one word

“I think this isn’t the right time. We’re still both establishing our careers, and entering into such a relationship might mess up things” she calmly explained with tears forming in her eyes.

Joong Ki felt somehow relieved that their feelings were mutual. Absorbing her words, he weakly smiled and nodded.

“Arasso, I understand. This may not be the right time, but please know that I don’t regret feeling this way for you” hearing his words, she finally smiled.

They embraced each other; both wanted the moment to last forever.  After which they parted ways with heavy hearts. They agreed to be friends, but they never dared to contact each other as this might just rekindle their affection.

Joong Ki remembered reading Chae Won’s interview wherein she labeled him as a “mere colleague”. He smirked, but deep within, he felt his heart ache at her words. “She must have already moved on” he told himself.

Their paths once again crossed when they attended the KBS Drama awards. They tried to be civil, but ended up acting stiff and cold during the whole event. Joong Ki wanted to talk to her, ask how she has been doing, and perhaps say that he missed her, but she remained distant.

Months later,  Joong Ki was alone in his condominium. His eyes blankly stared outside the glass window where Seoul’s busy streets illuminated the dark night. He was grateful for all the things he has accomplished, but there still remained an empty space in his heart, and he fully knew that only Chae Won could fill it.

Meanwhile, Chae Won has just finished her meeting with the cast of Good Doctor. They were about to air soon, and things have been really busy for her. It was a dream come true for her to be part of a medical drama, and she was very determined to do her best. Chae Won was thankful that she was able to rest and travel for the past months since Nice Guy ended. She tried to keep herself occupied with her family and friends, but at the end of the day, she would still remember how she missed Joong Ki. Chae Won did her best to neglect the feeling, but day after day, she would find herself missing him more.

While on the road, she heard her mobile phone ring. Chae Won reached out for it in her handbag, and she felt her heart jump upon seeing the Joong Ki’s name on the screen.

“Yoboseyo?” she managed to answer without breaking her voice

“Chae Won-sshi” his voice deep and husky

“Ye Joong Ki-sshi?” Chae Won could hear her own heartbeat.

“Are you free tonight? Let’s meet.” Joong Ki gathered all his courage to ask her. Chae Won cannot believe her ears, they have not been in contact for several months, and now here he is, asking her out.

“Yes” she answered. Unconsciously she felt relief and excitement that she will meet Joong Ki again.

They decided to meet an hour later at a hill road where they knew a few people passed by.

“Anyeong” Joong Ki greeted with a smile when he went out of the car.

“Anyeong, long time no see” Chae Won responded, her heart swelling at the sight of the man before her.

Joong Ki handed her a canned latte as they leaned against his car. After a exchanging a few statements, an awkward silence filled the air. Both knew that they were supposed to act like ordinary friends, but it was just too difficult knowing that they wanted more.

Fixing his gaze at the horizon, Joong Ki decided to break the silence.

“Chae Won-sshi”

“Ye?” her sight on the horizon

“I…I’m entering the army” he blurted out. Chae Won turned her head with her questioning expression.

“This is the reason why I wanted to meet with you, to see you even for the last time.” He met her gaze with his gloomy eyes.

Chae Won was speechless. She wanted to stop him, to tell him that she needed him by her side; that she was sorry for dismissing their feelings for each other, but no word dared to slip from her lips.

To her surprise, Joong Ki held her hand and gently brushed it against his cheek.

“I know this is rather awkward, but I want to tell you that I miss you, your smile, your laugh, everything about you.” Tears started to flow from Chae Won’s eyes because she also felt the same way.

“Chae Won-sshi, my feelings for you never changed” Chae Won felt the sincerity in his words.

“Na do Joong Ki-sshi, I tried so hard to forget about you because I thought that was the best thing to do, but I keep failing myself.” She finally let her heart out.

“As much as I want us to be together, I still know that you have an obligation to fulfill, and I respect that.” A smile was on her lips. Joong Ki was relieved and tear drops started to fall from his eyes as well. He then placed both of his hands to cup Chae Won’s cheeks.

“Wait for me, Chae Won-sshi, please say that you’ll wait for me” he asked, rather, begged.

“Yes, I will wait for you Joong Ki-sshi. I will not grow impatient or anxious, I will wait until you return to me.” Her assurance was all he needed, and he finally said those words,

“Saranghae Chae Won-ah”

“Saranghae Joong Ki-ah”

 Slowly he leaned to kiss her forehead, down to her nose, and finally her lips. Both savored this warm moment of being together. Their lips parted and rested their foreheads against each other. Gently they enveloped each other in a tight embrace.

“Promise me that you will take good care of yourself” Chae Won said in a concerned tone.

“I promise, I will. And promise me that you will do the same.”

“I promise” she said against his ear.

“Until then, you’ll fulfill your dreams. I want to see the great actress Moon Chae Won who is loved by everyone” Chae Won nodded, indeed she will make Joong Ki proud of her.

“Until then, I will guard my heart, because it only belongs to you Song Joong Ki.”

And with that, their promise of love was sealed.

“I’ve learned that waiting is the most difficult bit, and I want to get used to the feeling, knowing that you’re with me, even when you’re not by my side.”  - Paolo Coelho

To be continued in 2015…