END

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

“[Exclusive by David James] A BIG car crash happened in Southwark, London, 1.2 miles from Shakespeare’s Globe. The incident happened after ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ ended. The accident involving more than dozen cars, killing about 25 people and 12 injured. Full story pages 8.”

~~~

A milky white skin, yet pale man who wears flannel green checked long sleeve shirt topped with maroon v-neck sweater and Givenchy loose blue jeans walking by on the sidewalk from Boston University. His left hand brings a bag full of thick books, right hand brings a cream paper rolls and not to forget his red backpack that he stuffed a lot. That man loves Friday, but he also gets irritated because he should bring too much equipment to campus. Today is Friday, his lecture on Operations & Technology Management class, Mr. Pierre, told his student to bring the equipment he stated on adobe document he was give first time they meet on summer class. Now, the sun is going to set, he walked fast to arrived on his apartment as soon as possible.

“Hello, Sunggyu.” A soothe voice vocal greets him when he arrived on the living room of his apartment.

He turn back to facing the said man who laying down on a black two-seater upholstered loveseat. Sunggyu raise his hands, gave him some quick signs language. “Hello to you, lazy.”

The said main snickered. “Do you want to go to Orange County tomorrow? My stepfather asked us to spend our weekend on his bungalow once he going to lead his Boy Scout club.” He asked and tried to sit properly, let his tired best friend sit beside him.

“Of course, who will decline going to Orange County? I will cancel my appointment with Dr. Hank.” Sunggyu replied after placed down the stuff that he brought earlier on cocktail table in front of the couch and grab his mobile phone from the jeans pocket. Out of the blue, his mobile phone buzzed receive text message from his father.

Kim Sunggyu, let have dinner at home on Saturday. Invite Nam Woohyun.–Father

Sunggyu frowned after read his father text, starring at Woohyun who stares at him questioningly. “What?”

“I think we couldn’t make it. He’s invite us to have dinner.”

Woohyun nodded, “Jack will be understood if it relates to your father.” Nevertheless, Sunggyu only can smile a bit, tried to hide his disappointment just because.

~~~

Every Saturday morning, Sunggyu always set his schedule to visiting Dr. Hank, his psychiatrist, to regain his voice again even if never show up any progress. They walked out of the apartment, the street was busy even though Saturday but it was always busiest all the time of the day and people were rushing in different directions. They take subway to go to Boston downtown. Both of them not talking too much on the way to Dr. Hank because Woohyun is bit sleepy because lacks of sleep due to his weirdo habit. About 20 minutes later, they were on a street that was close to the muteness therapist’s office, 5 minutes to go by walking and they will arrive.

The pale man climbed the stairs to the office with trembling knees, that thing always happened whenever he gets here. He opened the door. The woman on receptionist desk greets him with wide smile. “Good Morning Mr. Kim.”

He gives the receptionist simple smile and signed Woohyun to wait for him on waiting room before opened the door of Dr. Hank’s room.

There was a middle-age woman with grey hair sitting behind her desk and staring at him deeply through his obsidian orbs. “How are you today, Sunggyu?”

“I’m good, Doc. And you?” He sat down on the white couch in the corner of the room.

“God bless me very much today.” Dr. Sooyeon Hank was her late mother’s best friend, she only wanted to help him, it was truly his mother’s last will and it was her job to makes him talk again.

The time whenever his session to regain his voice coming up, his body reacted violently against his and painful breath filling up his lungs, but the worst is the memory he tried to secrete coming up on his vision clearly.

~~~

The therapy session takes more than 3 hours. Nam Woohyun takes a glance on his best friend who sits beside him on a train that takes them to New York City with worry. The muteness that his friend has isn’t a biological mute but muteness as a result of posttraumatic stress disorder. It started in midsummer 10 years ago, being muteness and throw away his dream are the aftermath from the catastrophe.

5 hours later, they arrived on a beautiful Elizabeth-type house era in the middle of Big Apple. Knocking on the front door and his father’s aide greets them with wise smile, “Mr. Kim already wait on dining room.” The aide said. Sunggyu only nodded and walking fast to the dining room, trying not to waste a single time being in this house.

“Good evening, father.” Sunggyu greeted the middle-age arrogant male.

The middle-age arrogant male just nodded and give them a sign to sit quickly.

The rest of the dinner much likely silent treatment, as if silent is a killer, maybe all of them was being killed because the silent atmosphere of the Korean arrogant male made is no joke, Sunggyu and Woohyun only glance on each other.

“You should have your voice back even after 10 years yours not. What are you suppose to do being mute the rest of your life?” his father asked. “You never can be a good worker for me if you still mute. Just back to your sense, son. You being mute are worst more than the dim-witted dream of being Broadway’s actor.” After the statement his father said, Sunggyu was like throw up and punching the arrogant face of his father.

“You have no rights saying that to me. This muteness and the dream I had were not your business.” Sunggyu said. “Thank you for the dinner today, Mr. Kim Sungryul.” Moreover with that, Sunggyu and Woohyun left the residence of Kim family without having a good memory like the others dinner they ever had before.

~~~

The rest of the Saturday went erroneous, after coming back from New York, Sunggyu not walking out from his bedroom and that happened continuously whenever he met his father up. Woohyun who knows about this not doing anything but left Sunggyu by himself. He went to Sunggyu and his café near Massachusetts of Art School—an Art School that Sunggyu ever wanted to enter—and observing the way of his little business working.

“Good morning, Woohyun.” A petite little girl on his age, Rein River, who major in Performing Arts greets him.

“Hello, Rein. What’s with cherry face? Something good happened, I guess.”

Rein chuckled and ordered a cup of earl-grey tea. “My first directory of play will show up on next Friday. It’s free, don’t forget to come with Sunggyu, okay?”

Woohyun only nodded even he isn’t sure if Sunggyu will come or not, but something from inside him pushed him up to recapture Sunggyu old-self, when he still loves in theater and play.

“I said no for uncountable times.” That was the later answer whenever Woohyun asking him to watch the play.

“You’ll regret this, Sunggyu. This is your favo—“

“Especially those play. I won’t watch.” Sunggyu cut his statement and face becomes long. “Only bad thing happens.” He said quietly and get back to his room again. Leave Woohyun with disappointment drawing on his face.

Furthermore, with that the conversation ended, in addition the entire week Sunggyu made a cold war between Woohyun and him or it is just him who made that cold war, not Woohyun. He feels very sensitive about the sudden brought up play topic; he never had an intension to watch them again.

~~~

At midsummer time approaching, Shakespeare’s globe in London constantly holds a play and many tourists from domestic and foreign country come to watch the spectacular play from the phenomenal globe of Shakespeare’s sketch. Today the Shakespeare’s globe was staging a classical comedy play from Shakespeare for the whole day off. I was 10 years old back then and with my mom, we went out from the globe’s walked straight toward the nearby parking lot.

“Mom, I want act as Puck!” I chirped loudly.

My mother nodded and brushed her finger on my black hair after both of us already in our Volvo, “Let ask your theater’s coach about that first, he will held a play based on what we watched earlier, yes?”

I nodded eagerly. “Then I’ll be an actor and act in Broadway, mom! Broadway is breathtaking place than daddy’s office.”

Mommy laugh whole-heartedly before the crashing was happened in a blink of eye when the headlight was speeding towards us and before there was any time to react, I am felt the colossal impact. Tire screeches and a blaring horn scream in my ear. I felt my body slammed against the seatbelt and the shattering glass slice my face and arms, a loud scream was heard from somewhere else. I cannot see anything, everything went black as if something covered my eyes but I hear a beautiful voice I always miss every day, “Sunggyu… Sunggyu…” and that thunderous scream decreased when a sharp article touch the skin of the neck.

~~~

“I’ll watch the play.”

Woohyun who was roasting the meat for their dinner stops his doing and startled. “Are you possessed?”

Sunggyu hit the back of Sunggyu’s head, a little upset while he gives the brunette a simple sign, “Something happened on my dream last night.”

The brunette one raises his eyebrows. “Is that bothering you?”

Sunggyu shook his head and sign Woohyun to get ready to go to the Massachusetts Theater Hall.

As they watched the play from the beginning, Sunggyu vision get hypnotize under the spell of play on the stage, his eyes follow every gesture of the actors and actresses on the stage, and he feels his lips mouthing every lines on that play. Shivers going through his body, nothing can be compared with this kind of feeling when a man suddenly shows up on the stage and he knows whom the man act is as. “P...Pu…C….K” syllables each syllables coming from his mouth as a groan and he gasped suddenly about the groaned he makes, but just because.

~~~

A few days after the play entitled A Midsummer’s Night Dream, Sunggyu behavior changed drastically like tornado in Michigan on morning. He start to seeking up to the theater club on campus, research various play script on town library, every once a week going to New York by himself and neglecting his classes and dismissing half of his schedule. The most shocking part of Sunggyu’s changing behavior is he puts forward to attending on his cure session with Dr. Hank every day. Woohyun get a relief when he discovered what the truth behind Sunggyu’s behavior lately and thanking to the god on every occasion he notice Sunggyu never gives up on struggling with make a voice study session.

“Like to see you were you again.” Woohyun hugs his best friend tightly after Sunggyu coming home with a big bolt from the blue after one and half years the white pale man working up on his late passionate dream and settles his life up.

~~~

On one midsummer’s night next year, a man in black suit walking towards the Belasco Theater on Broadway with a theater-handbook on his left hand. A wide proud smile painted on his face when he read a text on that handbook over and over again.

Now on Belasco Theater at Broadway, a Shakespeare’s play “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” on stage along with an astounding freshman artist on spring play Twelfth Night, Kim Sunggyu.

“I was muteness before but Shakespeare’s howling a love me once more on A Midsummer Night’s Dream again” –Kim Sunggyu on Twelfth Night’s interview by E!.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry disappoint you but here what i write for that competition. lol.

, yes? that's why i'm not won. itz okey. :)

can you leave any comment ? thanks!