story

Reminiscing the past

When was the last time you saw him? Rain started to fall. Its raindrops mixing with your tears. You felt alone and broken as you walked down the sidewalk. You missed him, badly. He left you three months ago. You still held on to the promise you two made. “We’ll be together, forever.” But that promise was long gone. As you were walking down the empty street you were reminded of the past.

The times when you two were still happy…

The time when nothing else mattered…

The time when things were simple…

 The time when you two were still in love.

You two first met in a park. You were sitting on one of the benches near the lake when he suddenly stood in front of you, blocking the view. He greeted you and asked you if he could sit beside you. You nodded. He asked for your name and he gave you his. After a few minutes of small talk, you two turned to each other but you looked away. You whispered your goodbye to him and left. It never occurred to you that you two would meet again. Maybe it was fate that led you to him. You never really believe in fate and love but he made you believe. And since then, you two were inseparable. Until one day…

He didn’t show up. You were worried. You kept on calling him but you were always diverted to his voicemail. You also texted him, asking him if he was fine and that to call you back as soon as possible. It went on for a week. You often visited the park in hopes that he would be there. He suddenly shows up right at the spot where you first met him. You smiled and waved at him. He smiled but it didn’t reach his eyes. You heart sank. Didn’t he miss me? You stood in front of him to hug him but he avoided it. You looked at him.

I can’t handle this anymore. Let’s finish this. I don’t have feelings for you anymore. Let’s break up.

You laughed. You told him that it was a funny joke. He just stared at you with emotionless eyes. You knew he was serious. You heard your heart break into a million pieces. You started to cry.

Goodbye.

You just stared at him as he walked away from you. As he left, he took your heart with him. You just sat there still looking at the distance. It started to rain, big angry drops falling from the sky. He was your first love. He left as fast as he came in to your life. He was now gone.

The pain kept you up night. You pillow was wet with tears that you didn’t bother to shed. This kept on for days. It was like he dug a deep hole in your chest. There was knock on the door. It was his mother. You met her when he once brought you to his apartment. She is such a sweet lady. You told her to come in and said sorry that you were a mess. She just nodded and handed you a letter. Your name was neatly written on it. It was his handwriting. You immediately wanted to breakdown.

To the love of my life,

                Hey. I hope you’re doing well. I asked my mother to give this to you because I know I wouldn’t be able to. I miss you so much. I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to meet up with you on our anniversary. I went to the doctor that day. I found out that I had cancer. It was terminal. I’m so sorry. I was scared to tell you. I also didn’t want you to know because I don’t want to be a burden to you. I broke up with you because I didn’t want you to see me dying. I want your last image of me was of me smiling and healthy. I didn’t really mean to hurt you. I do hope you understand.

                By the time you’re reading this, I’m already gone. But I promise I’ll always watch over you. I’ll be your angel. I love you so much.

You cried as you finished reading the letter.

I love you too.