Disney Junkie, eh?

Big Hearts, Empty Beds

           ♛ DISCLAIMER ♕
❄︎ Mild Frozen spoilers, they're so small and honestly, if you haven't seen Frozen yet, I highly reccomend it ❄︎

 

            "I don't see why you need to go out shopping." Chanyeol lamented from the couch. Luhan had to put the scissors he was wielding down on the table so he would throw them at Chanyeol. He took in a deep breath, before picking the scissors back up and returning to his banner cutting.

            "Chanyeol I've been stuck at home for a week already, I need to get out the house some time." Chanyeol ignored the TV as he reached over the back of the couch to talk.

            "Ok, on Monday you went to work to see your students. Tuesday you went on a grocery run without me, and we went for a walk to the park last night for a sit on the swings." Chanyeol didn't have to ask what today's shopping trip was for, because the question itself was implied after the reminder of Luhan’s past agenda.

            "Kyungsoo is treating me to lunch and some shopping if you have to know." Luhan told him, cutting another bunting triangle against his cardboard template.

            "Can you handle the walking?" Chanyeol worried. The doubt burned crimson embarrassment in Luhan's cheeks, knowing full well he couldn't walk for that long without getting sore, but he hated being doubted nonetheless. Just for that, he would prove to Chanyeol he could walk the whole day, doing laps around the mall if he had to.

            "I'll be fine." Luhan said, nearly bloating his cheeks with resentment.

            "Oh, Lu," Kai asked, suddenly remembering what he'd wanted to ask all morning, "is it okay if I come with today? I have a job interview the day after tomorrow and I wanted something formal to wear." He explained. "I just need some clothes, then I'll leave you and Kyungsoo alone for the rest of the day."

            "Oh no Kai, you can stay for lunch as well, it's not a problem." Luhan assured; mistake.

            "Well if Kai's going I wanna come!" Chanyeol practically bounced in his seat like a child, not wanting to be left out. For such a brooding, tough guy, he was a lot more insecure than he would let on, but this was mainly on matters pertaining to Luhan.

So the three of them sat in Kyungsoo's car, Chanyeol and Luhan in the back seat, with Kai and Kyungsoo in the front. Kyungsoo wasn't happy about the arrangement, but what was he to do about it at 50km an hour, halfway to the mall? Luhan hadn't regretted being in Kyungsoo's (temporary) bad books for it, he and Chanyeol were lapping each other up in attention, the two happily embraced, in their own little world. Chanyeol sat in the seat behind Kyungsoo and Luhan in his lap with his cast set out along the back seat, the two on the verge of giving each other road head in Kyungsoo’s opinion.

            "I really hate happy couples parading their happiness around the lonely people." Kyungsoo muttered to Kai. The two behind them shared earphones as they talked, effectively deafening themselves to their conversation.

            "I don't know, I think it's sweet to see two people happy. It's nice that they choose to spend their time together with us." Kai said, shrugging his shoulders indifferently as he retraced the familiar car ride scenery to the mall.

            "What've you been smoking?" Kyungsoo asked bitterly, completely taken aback by Kai's surprisingly chill attitude to the couple behind him. He just smiled and shook his head.

            "I don't expect you to understand."

            "Understand what?" Kyungsoo asked, quite serious. He was quietly eager to hear what Kai had to say, though he'd never admit it. Kai kept grinning as he peeled off his phone case and fished out the little creased photograph to look at.

            "Never mind." He at the creases in the photo paper. Instead of 'never mind', he'd really meant to say 'seeing the happiness of those you love'. He looked at the child he held in the photo between his fingers and prayed a little prayer for him, hoping him all the happiness in the world he could find.

Kyungsoo had taken Luhan to the same mall Luhan had bought all of Chanyeol and Kai’s clothing roughly a month ago, though judging by the arrangement of stalls and shops you wouldn’t recognize it for love or money. Chanyeol stuck by Luhan’s side as close as the crutches would allow, Kyungsoo on his other side and Kai beside Kyungsoo. He and Luhan chatted away idly, whilst Kai was happy to just take in the new scene of stores and Chanyeol really just came to be with Luhan, so he was satisfied for now.

            “Are you getting tired?” Chanyeol asked when a break in Luhan and Kyungsoo’s conversation arose. A small spark in the back of Luhan’s mind was angry, but he supposed he’d been far too hard on Chanyeol of late, so he tried to see the caring in the query, rather than the pestering.

            “I’m okay.” He said, putting on a smile that turned out to be a lot less false than he’d thought. It didn’t feel fake, but he definitely had to put effort into wearing it. Either way, Chanyeol seemed pleased by it.

            “Do you want to sit down?” Kyungsoo asked, trying to slow his pace for Luhan.

            “Guys I broke my leg, I didn’t catch chronic fatigue while I was at it!” Luhan told them, not angry but certainly not pleased with all the smothering happening. That’s what he liked about Kai, a complete non-smotherer in his books.

            “Sorry.” Kyungsoo apologized. He was still in the process of being less protective and stifling of Luhan. “What about an ice cream?” Luhan eyed Kyungsoo with the same unimpressed look a teenager would give their parent after being asked if they were doing drugs. “I mean in a friend way, there’s a new ice cream stall right beneath us.”

            “Alright.” Luhan conceded, the two taller men following them without a word. A quick escalator ride later, and Kyungsoo took everyone’s orders with Kai for transport assistance, whilst Chanyeol and Luhan went to find a seat in the food court. Chanyeol pulled out Luhan’s chair for him, more on a chivalrous tone than an overwhelming one. “Well thank god chivalry hasn’t died yet.” He smiled, sitting down and handing Chanyeol his crutches.

            “Not as long as I’m around anyway.” Chanyeol retorted, setting Luhan’s crutches down against the wall beside his seat. Luhan stayed sitting in a parallel direction to the sticky faux marble tabletop, watching the different people walk by.

            “What’s on your mind?” Chanyeol asked, sitting back into his creaking Formica chair to avoid the curiously sticky tabletop.

            “Nothing, just people watching.” Luhan admitted shamelessly.

            “People watching?” Chanyeol asked, the concept clearly new to him. He turned to face the same direction as Luhan, nailing his elbow in a patch of not sticky table to lean on. The table swayed to his direction under his enormous muscular strength.

            “You know, just watching other people live there lives and see what kind of people they might be.”

            “I don’t get it.” Chanyeol asked, considering the activity to be somewhat uncanny.

            “Well you see that lady over there?” Luhan asked, pointing to said lady. “She’s here with her mother and her two kids, judging by the look of them I’d say the boy is older than his sister. The grandmother sounds like she’s from out of town, probably Busan.”

            “So where is the father?” Chanyeol asked, looking to Luhan, who returned the gaze, though Chanyeol didn’t bargain for direct eye contact. Luhan smiled and held out his hand over the tacky table.

            “See? You’re catching on.” Chanyeol took his hand, putting his thumb over the tops of Luhan’s fingers, the sensual eye contact remaining unbroken for some time. Kyungsoo cleared his throat loudly, the gaze broken instantly and hands jumping back to their owners like bungee cords being relieved of all tension.

            “You know it’s not weird for couples to hold hands, though it is weird when they get all antsy about it.” Kyungsoo smiled, handing Luhan his mint choc-chip tub before sitting beside him. Kai gave Chanyeol his caramel cone before following suit and sitting next to him.

            “So what’s goin’ on?” Kyungsoo asked, taking a rather large chunk out of his vanilla cone with his tongue, not seeing Kai watch his every move.

            “People watching.” Luhan told him, expertly pulling out a single choc-chip with his salmon pink spoon and biting down on it.

            “Aaah, who this time?”

            “There was a lady with her mother and two kids, but they just left.”

            “People watching?” Kai asked as he finished a mouthful of triple choc, chomping down on a dark chocolate chip when he’d finished speaking. Kyungsoo began to explain the finer points of people watching, to a much more comprehensive degree than Luhan had explained it earlier. Meanwhile, Luhan and Chanyeol kept stealing drifting glances at each other, until finally Chanyeol pulled out his phone and tapped in a text.

 

           From: Giant

Wanna go see that movie you promised me? ;)

 

Luhan felt a buzz in his pocket, jolting in his seat at the unfamiliar feeling. He pulled out his phone and as soon as he read the text, he was thankful his phone had been on silent.

 

            From: Little Deer

Not now! Kyungsoo wants to go shopping >.<

 

He looked over the table to Chanyeol and frowned. He looked to Kyungsoo as he continued to point out people watching to Kai, waiting for a reply.

 

            From: Giant

After shopping then?

 

Luhan chuckled at that text. Chanyeol clearly had no idea as to the stamina Luhan could muster when presented with an entire day of shopping where he didn’t have to pay (much).

 

            From: Little Deer

If you can last the day with us, I’ll go to a movie with you afterwards. Deal?

 

Chanyeol didn’t even think of questioning what Luhan meant by ‘lasting the day’, but whatever it was, he’d do it just for that movie date they’d loosely arranged.

 

            From: Giant

Deal.

 

The perks of having a shattered ankle (Luhan was finding these perks to be significantly outweighed by the obvious negative) was that when people took you shopping, as long as you powered on through your fatigue, you could have other people carry your masses of assorted clothing and music albums, posters included. Chanyeol had begun to tire of walking into every single shop they passed, since all it meant was he would have to lug more of Luhan and Kyungsoo’s luggage around, but Kai seemed quite chilled by the whole experience. He hadn’t said much since the day had started, seeming to drift off whenever he could, which made for a poor relief for Chanyeol who had no one to talk to. They were currently in one of Kyungsoo’s favorite multi-discipline fashion stores, where he was busy stocking up on Adidas and fleece-lined boots for the inbound winter.

            “What do you think?” He said, advertising a cute pair of two-tone tan boots lined with fleece, laced about two inches above his ankle. The soles were thick, and the tread perfect for plodding through the snow.

            “They look good.” Luhan smiled, hugging his crutches while he sat down, feeling understandably out of puff. He didn’t want to bring Kyungsoo’s mood down, so he kept on a bright smile and tried to remain as enthusiastic as a tired cripple could.

            “Okay, those are definitely coming home with me.” Kyungsoo said, undoing the laces and then putting the two shoes in the keep pile. “I’m just gonna try these jeans on, do you wanna come in with me?” Kyungsoo asked Luhan, holding out the acid-wash denim with snowflake-shaped stitching down the side. Tempted, Luhan said no, telling Kyungsoo he’d wait here. Truth be told, he wasn’t just physically tired, but mentally tired of shopping. He’d bought all the things he wanted, and Kyungsoo had bought him the rest of the stuff he liked, but Kyungsoo wanted to power on through the day until he left no door unopened. Chanyeol came and sat beside him, draping a very romantic arm over his shoulder and pulling him in closer. Luhan’s head hit the side of Chanyeol’s strapping bicep in just a way that it felt like a pillow, momentarily heaving a wave of sleep over him before he remembered he was meant to stay awake, at least for now.

            “Tired baby?” Chanyeol asked, trying out the pet name to much success.

            “Mm, just a little bit.” Luhan answered. He rested his head against the same spot as before, rewarding his aching body with a brief respite.

            “Wait here.” Chanyeol said, more of a warning for Luhan not to topple over as he stood up. Chanyeol left to go somewhere, and in the mean time Kai sat by Luhan, who unknowingly became the next human pillow, not that he minded.

            “No offense,” Luhan said, shifting his head higher up into Kai’s shoulder, “but Chanyeol’s a lot more comfortable.” Kai’s body jittered as he laughed a little.

            “Well he is a lot buffer than I am.” Kai admitted. “But you know what? In a fight, it hurts a lot more if you stab someone with your bony knuckles and knees.” Luhan laughed out loud, eyes still closed under the weight of his fatigue.

            “Makes sense.” He replied. Luhan let out a larger than life sigh, his weight drifting more on to Kai as he became increasingly limber and drowsier. He was about to fall completely asleep before Chanyeol’s hand was jostling his shoulder gently.

            “Hey Lu, do you wanna go home and sleep?” Chanyeol’s voice reminded Luhan of Kyungsoo’s when he was comforting an upset student, though the thought was fleeting and gone by the time he answered.

            “But Kyungsoo…” He argued, in spite of his lazy judgment.

            “It’s okay Lu.” Kyungsoo said. He seemed to appear from behind Chanyeol, though in reality he had been standing there the whole time, Luhan was just too exhausted to notice. “You go home, you look like crap.” He smiled, the two best friends laughing at the sentiment.

            “Well if you insist.” He said. Conjuring all his remaining energy, he stood up (with Chanyeol’s help) and huddled over his crutches, slowly gaining more focus with each limp step. Kai sorted through the bags quickly and caught up, carrying only Luhan’s bags.

            “And where do you think you’re going sweetie?” Kyungsoo said, putting his hands on the high waist of his borrowed jeans and tapping his new shoes expectantly. Everyone stopped and turned around, except Luhan who just stopped altogether, since crutching in a circle had been too hard.

            “Huh?” The duo said, looking at Kyungsoo, perplexed as to who the question was aimed at.

            “Who’s going to carry my stuff back to the car?” He smiled. Chanyeol had a feeling, but Kai was now absolutely sure that Kyungsoo meant him since his stare was definitely directed his way.

            “We’ll take a cab,” Chanyeol uttered quickly, ushering Luhan toward the store exit hastily, “later kid.” Kai wasn’t really fussed about the arrangement, but he would have preferred to have some say in the matter. He handed Chanyeol Luhan’s stack of purchases before the two practically made a run for it.

            “So I guess it’s just us now, huh?” Kai shrugged. For a moment, the way his hair shuffled as his lanky shoulders nudged up and down again, Kyungsoo swore he could have fallen in love.

            “Y-yeah.” He said, suppressing a beguiled grin. “Now watch my bags! I’ve gotta get changed and pay for these.”

            “Ugh.” Luhan groaned, in the manliest voice Chanyeol had ever heard him make. “I’m so tired.” The couple curled up on their bed, with Luhan’s cast at the foot of the bed whilst his free leg was draped over Chanyeol’s leg cozily.

            “Are you sure you didn’t overdo it today?” Chanyeol worried, moving his other leg over Luhan’s and trapping his bare foot.

            “No I’m fine.” He replied quickly. “I just didn’t sleep that much last night.”

            “Well let’s get some sleep then, I’ll cook you up something yummy and then we can eat dinner when you wake up.” Chanyeol leant in for an awkward kiss, until Luhan moved his hand up Chanyeol’s jowl and behind his head, lengthening the kiss with a smile. “You naughty devil you.” He winked back.

            “Shut up and sleep, giant.” Chanyeol was a millisecond away from a blissful rest from what felt like a days worth of Olympic racing when his phone blipped from its unruly post in his back pocket.

 

            From: Unknown sender

Hey idiot, it’s Kyungsoo. Hope Luhan’s okay, take care of him for me alright?

 

Chanyeol smiled at the angsty yet sweet check up on his best friend. Still wondering how Kyungsoo had gotten his number (Probably Kai damnit, he theorized) Chanyeol typed a brief reply before turning his phone off, dropping it on the bedside table and curling arms over Luhan and finally dozing off.

 

            To: Shorty

He’s fast asleep. You take care of mine and I’ll take care of ours

 

An hour ago at the mall...

“Okay, those are definitely coming home with me.” Kyungsoo said, undoing the laces and then putting the two shoes in the keep pile. “I’m just gonna try these jeans on, do you wanna come in with me?” Kyungsoo asked Luhan, holding out the acid-wash denim with snowflake-shaped stitching down the side. Tempted, Luhan said no, telling Kyungsoo he’d wait here. Truth be told, he wasn’t just physically tired, but mentally tired of shopping. He’d bought all the things he wanted, and Kyungsoo had bought him the rest of the stuff he liked, but Kyungsoo wanted to power on through the day until he left no door unopened. Chanyeol came and sat beside him, draping a very romantic arm over his shoulder and pulling him in closer. Luhan’s head hit the side of Chanyeol’s strapping bicep in just a way that it felt like a pillow, momentarily heaving a wave of sleep over him before he remembered he was meant to stay awake, at least for now.

            “Tired baby?” Chanyeol asked, trying out the pet name with much success.

            “Mm, just a little bit.” Luhan answered. He rested his head against the same spot as before, rewarding his aching body with a brief respite.

            “Wait here.” Chanyeol said, more of a warning for Luhan not to topple over as he stood up. He left in pursuit of Kyungsoo, and in the mean time Kai came and sat with Kyungsoo, becoming Luhan’s next human pillow, much to Chanyeol’s jealousy. Whilst the change room attendant was busy serving a man with not enough clothes to overcompensate for whatever daddy issues he’d grown up with, he snuck around into the corridor lined with large beige drapes on loud and cheap curtain rods. He saw the tail end of Kyungsoo’s adorable white sport socks with fluoro pink heels disappear behind one of the laminate cubicle walls, the curtain soon following to shield his privacy. That was, until Chanyeol threw the curtain back to reveal Kyungsoo with his thumbs under his jeans and ready to pull before reeling back and yelping.

            “Chanyeol?! What the hell are you doing?” Kyungsoo said, blushing at the blatant intrusion. He pulled the waist of jeans up, not that they’d been any lower than they had been all day.

            “I want to take Luhan home, he’s getting really tired and I think he could use the rest.” Chanyeol said, knowing Kyungsoo wouldn’t like it. And he didn’t, because he gave an acid glare at Chanyeol in response with the words to match.

            “Today’s like, our first day out shopping in ages Chanyeol! And Luhan would tell me if he was feeling tired.”

            “No, he wouldn’t, he’s too polite. Look, he’s still struggling with his crutches because they hurt his arms. Come on Kyung, he’s practically falling asleep on Kai’s shoulder out there.” He knew that Chanyeol was right, but Kyungsoo couldn’t help feeling uneasy at the fact that Chanyeol knew Luhan so well, as if being his best friend for almost ten years meant nothing. He decided to give Chanyeol the benefit of the doubt, since keeping Luhan here would only cause both of them a bother.

            “Oh fine.” He eventually caved. He pushed Chanyeol out the way, storming out with his jeans in hand but his bag still in the change room cubicle. Chanyeol caught up at the entrance, where Kyungsoo had stopped and held his pointed his hand out at the door as if to say ‘you can tell him’. Drawing in a deep breath, Chanyeol did as he was suggested and stepped out before Kyungsoo followed, to find Luhan’s cheek rested on Kai’s shoulder, laughing a sweet yet exhausted laugh with his eyes still closed.

            “Hey Lu, do you wanna go home and sleep?” Chanyeol’s voice reminded Luhan of Kyungsoo’s when he was comforting an upset student, though the thought was fleeting and gone by the time he answered.

            “But Kyungsoo…” He argued, in spite of his lazy judgment.

            “It’s okay Lu.” Kyungsoo said. He seemed to appear from behind Chanyeol, though in reality he had been standing there the whole time, Luhan was just too exhausted to notice. “You go home, you look like crap.” He smiled, the two best friends laughing at the sentiment.

            “Well if you insist.” He grinned. Conjuring all his remaining energy, he stood up (with Chanyeol’s assistance) and huddled over his crutches, slowly gaining more focus with each limp step. Kai sorted through the bags quickly and caught up, carrying only Luhan’s luggage on his way out.

            “And where do you think you’re going sweetie?” Kyungsoo said, putting his hands on the high waist of his borrowed jeans and tapping his new shoes expectantly. Everyone stopped and turned around, except Luhan who just stopped altogether, since crutching in a circle had been too hard.

            “Huh?” The duo said, looking at Kyungsoo, perplexed as to who the question was aimed at.

            “Who’s going to carry my stuff back to the car?” He smiled. Chanyeol had a feeling, but Kai was now absolutely sure that Kyungsoo meant him since his stare was definitely directed his way.

            “We’ll take a cab,” Chanyeol uttered quickly, ushering Luhan toward the store exit hastily, “later kid.” Kai wasn’t really fussed about the arrangement, but he would have preferred to have some say in the matter. He handed Chanyeol Luhan’s stack of purchases before the two practically made a run for it. Score, Chanyeol thought.

Fortunately for the poor luggage carrier, the store where Chanyeol and Luhan had taken their leave from was the last store Kyungsoo indulged his credit card, which meant it was only a lengthy walk to the car park before he was allowed to rest his now aching forearms.

            “Well that was fun.” Kai said as he fell back into his seat and slammed the door closed.

            “Wow, your sarcasm’s even worse than Luhan’s.” Kyungsoo smirked, before leaning back into his own seat to pull out his car keys from his artery-clenching tight jeans.

            “No, I really meant it, I had fun today. It sounds crazy, but I actually like spending time with you.” Kai turned to Kyungsoo and smiled, his confession so simplistic and innocent it made Kyungsoo happy, in a sort of down-to-earth way. Kyungsoo didn’t realize his mouth had curved into a grin, though when he did he immediately snapped his gaze away to the steering wheel, making the situation awkward, at least for him.

            “R-really?” Kyungsoo stammered, trying his best to collect the pieces of his crumbling walls.

            “Well yeah, I mean, now I’ve gotta try and sneak in the house with Luhan and Chanyeol probably doing it.” He shuddered at the thought, wrinkling his nose like a cute puppy. Kyungsoo seriously thought he was going to die from how cute he was. All these quick flashes of adorable were slowly building into the thin, tanned, dark-haired picture of a gorgeous man, currently riding shotgun in his car. He held the keys above the ignition, hesitating as he wondered whether he should start the car just yet.

            “Well you know,” Kyungsoo started, understandably nervous as he spoke, “if you want we could go see a movie? Probably kill a few hours there.” The two looked to each other, Kyungsoo with anticipating anxiety in his throat and Kai looking plainly calm, seeming to think the idea over as if it wasn’t a total pick up line.

            “Sure.” Kai said, blinking a few times as he stared at Kyungsoo naturally. He nearly let out a desperate sigh of relief at the affirmation; it had been a long time since he’d dated let alone asked a guy out before. God I didn’t remember it being this easy, he thought.

            “Let’s go then. My treat.” Kyungsoo said, this time smiling in a relaxed manner. The line for tickets was non-existent, a rare occurrence for this mall in particular.

“What do you wanna see?” Kyungsoo asked, looking from Kai to the large electronic board before them and taking out his wallet preemptively. Kai looked troubled with the task of choosing a movie, taking his time to make sure he picked just the right one, as an artist might ponder the correct conjugation of color to attain just the perfect shade.

            “Well, what movies are you into?” Kai inquired, looking at the board rather than Kyungsoo as he asked. Kyungsoo hadn’t really thought about the types of movies he liked. The last guy he’d dated was a despondent mysophobe who wouldn’t step into a shopping mall unless he’d had at least two decontamination showers and worn two layers of gloves (they’d met in the doctor’s waiting room), and the guy before that was a backpacker he’d hooked up with after a fervent night at his favorite dive who he’d never heard from again. Needless to say, it had been a while since he’d gone to the cinemas.

            “Uhm… Comedy is always good, I guess.” He shrugged, putting his bottom lip out dispassionately as he shifted his weight to one foot and leaned toward Kai. Said date was not impressed, merely smirking and looking to Kyungsoo.

            “You’re totally a Disney junkie aren’t you?” He accused, and instantly Kyungsoo’s eyes widened, as if he’d just been d on the sidewalk.

            “H-How did you know that?!” Kyungsoo gasped. As far as anyone knew, only Luhan and Jonghyun had been in on his closet Disney affection, and there was no way Jonghyun was going to tell so… “Did Luhan tell you?”

            “No.” Kai giggled, pointing to the signboard. “Every time Frozen has come up on the billboard, the corner of your mouth curls cutely.” Kyungsoo was slightly embarrassed at the revelation of his Disney obsession and the way Kai had been watching the every move of his mouth since they’d gotten to the cinema floor.

            “Bu- I mea- I-” Kyungsoo, try as he might to speak, was not going to out-do Kai’s mischief today. Kai took hold of Kyungsoo’s wrist with his slender, bony fingers in a hold so soft it was almost ethereal. His neck fell back like a ragdoll being dragged along like a child’s favorite toy, Kai being the child dashing through the zigzag queue before stopping at the ticket side of the counter.

            “Two tickets for Frozen please.” He said. Just then, Kyungsoo came rushing beside Kai, bumping into his side as he crashed to a stop. Kai remained unmoved, but in the juvenile rush to the ticket stand his hand had slid from Kyungsoo’s wrist to his hand, and clamped even tighter over his tiny lavish hands. The attendant worked over his computer, printing out the tickets, whilst in the mean time Kyungsoo puffed from the only exercise he’d gotten all year, but more so because Kai was actually holding his hand. He wriggled his hand around inside Kai’s grasp, poking him thumb out and enclosing his fingers around the back of Kai’s hand, giving it a little squeeze as he rested his head against Kai’s shoulder contentedly. He was far too enamored by the handsies he and Kai were playing below the counter, whilst the attendant simply looked at the both of them, expecting his pay. “Kyungie.” Kai reminded with a squish of his hand.

            “Oh!” He yelped, reaching for his wallet before remembering his prior engagement. Looking up to Kai, he smiled and loosened his embrace. “I’m gonna need that to pay.”

            “Oh right.” Kai said, quickly dropping Kyungsoo’s hand He felt a little saddened after losing the warmth of Kai’s hand around his own, and Kai looked almost embarrassed around the attendant as he paid for their tickets. In fact, even as they ordered their popcorn he kept a figurative one-brick distance from Kyungsoo. That was, until they’d gotten their tickets verified and turned the corner to the long corridor of cinemas, when their hands rekindled their acquaintanceship once privacy was something they could call their own. Kyungsoo was stingy (and sneaky) and bought one extra large box of popcorn for them to share, but bought them separate drinks, even though they both drank a Sprite. Kai was tasked with the box, whilst Kyungsoo tucked away their drinks in his bag until they found their way into the lightless cinema. The entire theatre was virtually empty, save for a few young girls who had chosen to have a balcony experience to themselves.

            “Where do you want to sit?” Kyungsoo asked, moving in closer to Kai as they walked into the aisle, scouting out prospective seats in the derelict cinema.

            “Do you know what I like to do?” Kai said, drawing Kyungsoo right up against him with a tug of his hand. Before he could divulge his trade cinema fun secret, Kyungsoo cut in.

            “Sitting right up the front on the floor and throwing the uncooked kernels at the characters you hate?” Kyungsoo supplemented, looking to a stunned Kai with a triumphant smile.

            “Holy crap, you too?!” Kai cried out, surprised that anyone else in their right mind would enjoy sitting too close to the screen instead of in the optimal viewing position in the middle half way through the first section of the seating.

            “I never watch a movie any other way!” The two burst into laughter as they quickly jogged to the front, sitting down with their backs against the chairs and the popcorn between them, their respective drinks on the other side of themselves. The adverts began to roll in, and whilst they flashed across the screen rudely, the two had already made a start on their shared popcorn, and Kai on some of his Sprite already. Later rather than sooner, the movie finally started. The two gasped as classic Disney scenery began to beam from the projector, and the adorable figures of two princess sisters playing in the snow. Both Kai and Kyungsoo marveled at the pure enchantment you could only find in the innocence of a Disney film. At the point of Anna’s accident, Kyungsoo jumped a little and grabbed onto Kai’s bicep, knocking the popcorn slightly as some spilled out between them. As Elsa’s cries grew more and more urgent, Kyungsoo already couldn’t watch. He nuzzled his face into Kai’s arm to escape the devastation of possibly losing such an adorable Disney princess so early on in a movie.

            “It’s okay, look.” Kai said, leaning in next to Kyungsoo’s ear and continuing. “See? The cute little trolls are going to save her, you can look now.” Kyungsoo did as Kai advised him, looking to see princess Anna to live another day at the door of her solitary sister, and thus the snowman song begun. Things were fine until the scene where the lone boat started traversing the stormy waters came up, and Kyungsoo immediately cringed again into Kai’s arm. He sighed edgily as he rolled his eyes, putting an arm around Kyungsoo’s back and rubbing down his rigid spine.

            “I thought you said you liked to watch Disney films?” He noted derisively, to which Kyungsoo slapped him on the chest whilst still ignoring the screen. “Okay it’s over now.” He said, patting Kyungsoo’s back finally before picking up the popcorn, dusting away the spillage and pushing insistently on Kyungsoo’s side. “Come on, if there’s a scene you can’t handle at least you won’t have to headbutt me anymore.” Kyungsoo did as he was guided, resting his head against Kai’s shoulder and his hand below his chin on Kai’s chest. The spare arm he placed behind Kai, who draped an arm over Kyungsoo’s body and leaving his hand to fall on top of Kyungsoo’s stomach. “Popcorn?” He asked out of no where, not waiting for an answer before picking up a piece and feeding it to Kyungsoo, who willingly took the puffed buttery treat in between his teeth and bit down.

            “That’s all?” Kyungsoo demanded, looking at Kai expectantly. The younger simply sighed and picked out a few pieces of popcorn at a time, feeding it to Kyungsoo like a boyfriend would his partner. Kyungsoo was clever, goading Kai into feeding him just so he could ‘accidentally’ graze his tongue against those nimble digits he’d wanted to all day long. He took advantage of his vantage point in Kai’s arms, feigning some moderately devastating scenes just so he could nuzzle his nose into Kai’s scent. He smelt like Luhan a bit, which wasn’t all that disconcerting given they lived together and probably did their laundry together, but Luhan was so focused on his appearance he had at least three discerning aromas he applied to himself that Kai didn’t, which made him seem more raw and natural in an simple, uncomplicated sort of way.

Hours later the movie ended, in it’s trademark Disney happy ending for everyone except the Duke of Weasel Town, who received his comeuppance rather aptly. The two walked out of the cinema complex with their hands apart and their own drinks in hand, both empty. They dumped their rubbish in the nearest bin before taking the escalator down from the cinema floor and to the car, critiquing the movie as they went.

            “It was so horrible how their parents locked Elsa away and she couldn’t go near her sister!” Kyungsoo pouted, creasing the corners of his eyebrows in a melancholy frown.

            “They were only trying to protect their daughter, they didn’t know what else to do. I think they did the right thing. Ow!” Kai yelped as he recoiled from Kyungsoo’s riled up punch in the shoulder.

            “How can you say that? Elsa was so upset in her room for all those years. She was so happy to finally be free.”

            “Yeah but you saw how she lost control so easily. If she could only stay calm she could’ve controlled it. Her parents must have known that, parents know things you know.” Kai reasoned. He thought about his own son, and what he would have done had he been in the same position, and had he been in any position to care for him. “I take it you don’t want kids, huh?”

            “Well, being the way I am kind of ruled that out for me a long time ago.” Kyungsoo told him, the two still maintaining a platonic distance. Something during the end of the movie had just put a wedge between them. No sense of awkward discomfort hung in the air, they just didn’t retain any overwhelming urge to touch and hold each other anymore. “I did think about it once, but I don’t think my kind of lifestyle would suit having a kid. Plus my apartment’s only got one bedroom.”

            “Kids are great.” Kai said. “I think it’d be great to have a nice little house in the suburbs like Luhan’s, with tiny little tykes chasing each other around the place.”

            “The white picket fence dream, huh?” Kyungsoo smiled, watching Kai walk beside him with his hands shoved in his pockets and his eyes watching his feet. He looped an arm through Kai’s like thread through a needle head and guided him slightly to the left in the direction of the car. Just then, Kai felt his phone vibrate beneath his hand, and undid the loop Kyungsoo had made with their arms to attend to his message.

 

           From: Luhan

Hey Kai, just wondering when you’re coming home. Chanyeol and I are both worried.

Lots of love x

 

            “Who’s that?” Kyungsoo asked as they came to the car.

            “Luhan.” Kai answered over the roof of the car, before ducking his head in whilst looking at his screen intently. Kyungsoo followed, the two closing their doors simultaneously. “He’s worried where I am. Wow, when did it get to six?” He sounded amazed when he looked to the time.

            “Gimme.” Kyungsoo ordered just before he snatched up Kai’s phone and typed in a reply for him.

 

           To: Luhan

I’m going to Kyungsoo’s for the night, you two lovebirds have a good night to yourselves ;)

 

            “Hey! Kyungie!” Kai yelped as he read what Kyungsoo had sent, only after it had been too late.

            “Oh stop complaining, let’s just get back to my place.” Kyungsoo said, finally gaining the upper hand on Kai in terms of audacity and sass.

            “Oh, taking me home after only the first date?” Kai sneered, smiling as Kyungsoo steadied himself with an arm on the back of Kai’s seat during his reverse into the parking laneway. When he’d fully backed out his hatchback, he clipped Kai over the head with his outstretched arm and returned both hands on the wheel.

            “Who ever told you it was a date?”

            “Oh come on, the awkward way you let me choose a movie, the hand holding, the cuddling and not to mention the popcorn. Oldest trick in the book Kyungie.” Kai curled one end of his puckery lips in a grand snicker, the similarities between their date habits running painful parallels, it was hard for Kyungsoo to be so be anything but transparent to Kai.

            “Yah! Don’t call me Kyungie, that’s what my ex boyfriend used to call me when we had .”

            “And was this ex boyfriend any good?” Kai asked.

            “Ugh no, he was horrible.” Kyungsoo snorted. “He used to pull out when he’d had his fun and leave me hanging. ing bastard came so easily it was ridiculous.” Kai burst out laughing, leaning against the dashboard for support as he wheezed for air.

             “Oh my god that’s brilliant.”

          “Hey!” Kyungsoo shrieked. “I’d like to see how you feel after having your pounded before suddenly being pulled out of.” An eerie silence filled the air, drowning Kyungsoo’s cheeks in a spectacularly embarrassed hue of rouge. “That came out wrong…” Another chuckle escaped Kai’s lips, and soon after the car swerved as Kyungsoo clipped the back of his head again, the subsequent maneuver throwing Kai into the side of the door at the same time in a crude, yet concise double whammy.

 

Author's Note:

So another update! I'm sorry, they're getting really long aren't they? Please tell me if you want more plot, less writing! Honestly, I'd be so happy to oblige. Comment your thoughts below, and don't forget to up-vote if you like it!

always happy to chat!
>>> Here's my tumblr, scarletk21.tumblr.com and my Twitter, @ScarletK21