Once Upon A December

Once Upon A December

 

Snowfall for the umpteenth times fell down in the night sky in Seoul. Chilly night air made you shiver your bones. Todaywas the 21th day in December. 10 days more in 2013 would change to 2014. There were no the biggest changes in your life from year to year. You kept waiting for him to come for 7 years. It was quite a long time. Correction, it was not quite a long time, but a ‘very’ long time. You were still waiting for some reasons, that was, you still loved him. still loved him and still loved him.

You were waiting for the last bus alone at a bus stop close to the place where you worked at. You were resting your head to billboards on your left side. Flash memories about your past with someone that you waited until now were spinning in your mind. The memories which still vivid in your mind now started to fade as the time went by.

 

-Flashback-

You and Nichkhun walked on the crowded street in the autumn night. The atmosphere was very good for having dating. You walked hand in hand with him. Smiled brightly and laughed freely as if living for forever.

“Where will we go?” You said cheerfully.

“You’ll now it soon.” He smirked. You glanced at him as if said ‘tell me now or I will eat you.’ He covered your eyes with his hand. “So scary. Don’t look at me like that.”

You pulled down his hand from your eyes then pouted. “Let me be.” You looked away.

He your hair. “Are you feeling cold?” He asked.

You shook your head. “Your existence beside me already made me feel warm.” You giggled and felt a bit shy after saying those words.

Nichkhun poked your nose. “What makes my girlfriend so cheesy tonight, hm?” He chuckled.

You laughed out loud. “Sshhhhttt…Shut up.” You put your index finger on his lips.

 

 

Then, another scene appeared in your mind. It was on your birthday night. He gave you a surprise by coming to your house brought a strawberry cheese cake and a big bouquet of red roses.

“I’m in front of your house standing alone and the weather is so chilly. Come out and go see me.” Nichkhun said on the phone then hung up.

You walked out from your house and found out he was standing handed a cake and a big bouquet of red roses. You were about to cry at that time. You felt so touched and speechless. You thought he forgot your birthday because there were no greetings, calls, messages, and letters saying happy birthday to you from him. You walked toward him with teary eyes.

“Nappeun namja!” You shouted as hit his arm.

Nichkhun just laughed. “Go making a wish then blow out the candles.”

You closed your eyes as made a wish then opened your eyes and blew all the candles.

“Happy birthday my princess.” He smiled.

“YA!!” You nagging to him but he cut your words.

“Can’t you let me come into your house? I’m frozen standing here.” He showed his puppy eyes.

You hissed madly. “Fine.” You helped him borrowed the cake.

He sat on the couch as he entered the living room. “Sit beside me.” He patted the spot beside him and you sat there.

You glanced at the roses on his lap. “Are those roses for me?”

He nodded. “Sorry I just can give it to you. Go try to count the roses.”

You counted it one by one then surprised at the last count. “Woah, it’s 19.”

He smiled satisfied. “19 red roses for your 19th birthday. Chukkaeyo.” He clapped his hands.

You were so flattered by it. “Gomawo. I’m so touched.” You kept looking at the roses then smell it.

“I want to become the last one who saying happy birthday to you. Because, being the first is too mainstream.” He chuckled. “You like it?” He your hair.

You nodded then hugged him tightly. “I really like it. Thank you so much.”

He rubbed your hair down to your back. “No need to thank.” He released the hug then cup your face. “I still have one present for you.”

You blinked. “What?”

He leaned his face to your face. His nose met to your nose and he tilted his head as he closed his eyes. He kissed your lips softly. You kissed his kissable lips back as you hugged his waist and closed your eyes.

-End Flashback-

 

Your daydreaming shattered when the lights of bus highlighted at you. You deftly took your bag and other stuffs next to you. At that time the bus was empty, there were only 5 passengers in it. You chose the most rear passenger seat. You just looked out of the window.

 

***

 

You were getting to go to the office. Preparing all the stuffs and didn’t forget to bring your new shoes design that you put on top of your desk. When you chose a ring you wanted to wear, you inadvertently saw a silver-colored ring giving from Nichkhun. You picked it up and wear it on your right ring finger. Again and again, the memories with him were spinning in your mind.

 

-Flashback-

“What do you want to talk?” You said while stirring your coffee macchiato with spoon. Nichkhun sighed then pushed a blue box on the table to you. “What’s this?” You asked in curiosity.

“Just open it.” He said.

You opened the box. There was a shining shimmering ring in it. “Is this for me?” You looked at him.

He walked toward you. Bended his knee then wore that ring to your ring finger. “Would you marry me?” He looked at your eyes deeply. You opened your mouth and speechless, didn’t know what to say at that time. “But, it will take a long time to marry you.”

You were about to say ‘I do’ but his words made you confused. “What do you mean?”

He went back to his seat and lowered his head. “Tomorrow, I’ll go back to Bangkok.”

“I can wait you till you back. It’s okay.” You tried to be positive thinking he would be back as soon as possible.

“My mom sick right now. She needs an intensive treatment in hospital and my brother asked me to help him manage the company. I don’t know whether I’ll back soon or not, it depends on the condition and situation.” He looked at you deeply. “I really love you and I don’t want to leave you. But, I love my mom and I don’t want to lose her too.”

“So, why you purpose me?” You said sarcastically.

“If it’s possible for you, I want you to wait me. When I back and come to you, I’ll marry you. But, if you can wait me for any longer and you found another one that can replace me, you can go with him and just leave me behind as your past.” He said.

You smirked. “Just it?” You grabbed your bag beside you then stood up. “I’m leaving first. Don’t call, send me message, or even come to my house. Let me alone.” You looked at him again before leaving. “Have a safe flight tomorrow and I hope your mom get well soon.” You were getting angry, piss off, and sad at the same time.

He hissed as he kicked the chair in front of him.

-End Flashback-

 

Since that day you never called him or sent messages to him, even for once, and so did he. You tried to forget him by trying to find someone new and even having blind date. But, the more you tried to forget him the more you remembered everything about him. You only could let it be till the feeling toward him was fade away gradually.

You opened your door and saw a bouquet of red roses in front of the door. You took it and noticed there was a memo in it. You opened and read it.

 

To: Pretty lady.

Remember me?

 

You looked around, nobody was there. You wondered who the sender was. What the intention of sending the bouquet of red roses to you. You put it on your table in the living room then went to work.

The next day when you wanted to go to work, there was another bouquet in front of your door with the same memo. The amount of the rose was also same, it was 10 roses. You felt so confuse yet curious who the hell the sender was.

It kept coming every day and it was the ninth day. The same roses, memo and it might be from the same sender as well. You placed it in a vase then put it on the table along other roses. You looked at those ninetieth roses while was thinking who the possible person that sent it to you. You scratched your head that was not itchy.

“Ah nan molla!!” You shouted out loud as threw your body to the couch behind you.

 

***

 

Morning sunlight was coming through a cleft of your curtain. Slowly, you opened your eyes and then stretched your hands and feet while groaned. You got up and rubbed your eyes.

 “It’s nine o’oclock already. It seemed like I slept so soundly last night.” You yawned widely.

2PM’s song entitled I can’t were ringing from your pinky phone. You grabbed it and saw there was a name ‘Hyemi’ on the screen.

“Wae?” You asked with a husky voice after pressing answer button. .

“ YA!! Park _______!! You just woke up?” She shouted.

“Mwoya! You want to make my ear go deaf, huh?” You said cynically.

“Your habitual still never changes. Always wake up late when in holiday.” She muttered.

“Wae? Is that wrong? I only want to enjoy my holiday.” You said as laid on the bed.

“Whatever.” She hissed. “You want to join with me or not?” She asked.

“Join? What for?” You asked in lazy tone as if not interesting on it.

“Tonight there is a new year party in my home. It will be there are so many guys come to the party. Because you are still single, that’s why I ask you to come. How?” She chuckled.

“Did you still remember the blind date that you've prepared for me? It was failed. Then, I can make sure there are no guy who will ask me to go out with them. It ain’t work.” You said.

“Actually, my friend likes you, but you are still acting coldly with him. That’s why the blind date wasn’t success.” She said regretfully. “So, come on. Let's come to the party tonight.”

You sighed heavily “Well, let we see.” Then you hung up the phone without heard Hyemi response.

You looked at to the wall with a blank sight. “Time goes by so fast. It almost reach the last day of this year, and it means, it’s seven year already without you.” You said to yourself. “Geez, Can’t we omit December in the list of months in a year?.” You buried your face on the pillow.

 

***

Knock knock knock

“Wait!” You shouted.

“YAK PARK ______!” Hyemi shouted as you opened the door for her.

“I’ll close the door if you keep yelling at me like this.” You said cynically.

Hyemi entered your house without ask for permission. You looked at her with a peevish look.

Hyemi sat on the couch. She drank your cola as if it was served for her. “Why you look at me like that? Go change your clothes now!” She said like a captain to her soldier.

“I’m lazy.” You sat beside her. You changed another channel tv.

She rolled her eyes. “I know, that’s why I come to your home. Come on!”

“Shirreo.” You replied briefly.

“Don’t you know? There are a lot of opportunities to get a better man for you if you come to my party. You have to forget someone that had abandoned you for a long time. You deserve to get a good guy. He is…”

“Okay fine I’ll come to your party. Stop talking what’s the good for me and what’s the bad for me.” You interrupted her then walked to your room changing your clothes.

“Myoya. I just want to give her an advice.”

 

***

 

You were just sitting alone while drank a glass of wine. You saw Hyemi was dancing along with her friends. You were yawning for he fifth time. So bored, you thought.

“Are you Park ______?”

“Nae?” You confused.

He sat beside you. “I’m Kim Junhyung. Remember me?” He asked again.

You tried to remember the name and his face. “Ah! You’re a guy in blind date, rite?”

He nodded as he smiled. “Glad you still remember me.” He smiled again.

“Sorry, this room is too dark. I’m kinda hard to recognize you.” You grinned. “How’s life?” You tried to open the conversation.

“It’s doing good. Yours?”

You smiled as nodded. “Mine too.”

“You’re getting prettier since the last time we met.” He chuckled.

You smirked. “Aigoo, kamsahamnida. You too.”

“I know. Many people said that too.” He chuckled again.

“How confidence you are.” You sip your wine.

“Wait a minute, I have to go to my friend over there for awhile. Let’s continue our conversation later.” He said then walked left you.

You sighed. “Finally he’s gone.”

You glanced at your watch. It almost 11 pm. You grabbed your bag then left the party without ask permission to Hyemi. You went home by taxi. It would better to watch Gayo Daejaejun than come to Hyemi party and meet up with Kim Junhyun.

 

“Kamsahamnida.” You said to the taxi driver as you gave him the money. You got out of the car and then tighten your coat and headed to home. You get out of the car and then tighten your warm clothes and headed for home.

“Park ______!” Someone shouted at you.

You turned around your body and found out something that made you feel like dreaming. He came closer towards you who still shocked by what you seeing. He was back. The man who you were waiting for has finally been back. You looked at him without blinking. He kept showing his sweetest smile that you really wanted to see since a long time ago.

“This is for you. It’s a hundred now.” He gave you a bouquet flower which was consists of ten red roses. You took it then looked at him with teary eyes. He your hair then cupped your face.

“Am I dreaming right now?” You asked.

He shook his head. “It’s not dreaming. I’m back.” He gave his angelic smile.

“Can you pinch my cheek?”

Instead of pinching your cheek, he kissed your forehead down to your nose then your lips deeply. You closed your eyes as hugged his waist. You enjoyed the passionate kiss under the night moonlight. The fireworks graced under the clear night sky in Seoul as if celebrating your happiness.

“Happy new year.” He said then hugged you tightly. “Sorry for making you wait me. That was the worst mistake that I’ve ever done in my life. I won’t leave you again from now on.”

“Saranghae, Nichkhun.” You buried your face on his chest. He kissed your upper head.

“Let’s get married tomorrow.”

You broke the hug then looked at him surprisingly. “What?” You tilted your head. “Uhm, somehow, it’s too fast.”

“Is it a refusal?” He made a sharp gaze to you.

“No, I didn’t mean to. Uhm, well, okay arasseo, let’s get married tomorrow.” You said.

He chuckled then pecked your lips softly. “I love you.”

Something that came easily would go easily as well. Sometimes we had to face the distances and winding road filled with potholes to reach what we wanted. We would meet so many obstacles while we were through it out. Waiting was painful and exhausting. However, we might be patient to be able to reap something worthwhile. God had his unique ways to give a good life for all people.

 


-END-