1/1

First Date

“There she is!”

“Calm down man. It’s just a girl.”

“But it’s her.

“Go take her order and stop messing around.”

Namjoon ran his hands down his apron and left his friend Jimin in the back of the café. He’d spotted the girl, a long-haired, brown eyed beauty who came in every Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon while he was working. He didn’t know her name, but he wanted to.

“Hello,” she said sweetly when Namjoon approached the table.

Namjoon smiled nervously. “What’s up? You want your usual?”

“No. I think I want to try something new.” She looked up at him. “What would you recommend?”

For a moment Namjoon hesitated before saying, “The citrus tea is good with those blueberry muffins you like so much.”

“You pay that much attention to my order?”

“Uh…I’ll be right back with your tea.”

Namjoon trudged to the back with his head down. He could have sworn he heard the girl giggle but he was too busy mumbling to himself about acting like a dork. He heard Jimin say something smart alecky but ignored him. After all, he had to make this tea and not burn himself in the process.

“Here you go,” Namjoom said a few minutes later when he placed the tea and muffin in front of the girl. “Did you want anything else?”

“Your phone number.”

“Huh?”

The girl laughed. “Namjoon…” she read off his nametag, “my name is Mani and I want to take you on a date. Can I have your phone number?”

Namjoon just shook his head, then realized that it looked like he was rejecting her and immediately stopped. “You know, I was planning to ask you out today Mani. You beat me to it.”

Mani smiled. “So that’s a yes then?” Namjoon nodded. “Good. I’ve been coming here every week trying to get the courage to talk to you.”

You were nervous to talk to me?”

“I’m shy,” she said with a straight face. “I’m shy and you’re cute and…” her voice trailed off as a light blush came across her cheeks.

“So, I’m off tomorrow if you want to hang out then.”

“Okay,” Mani said. “Since I stole your thunder by asking you out first, why don’t you plan the date?”

Namjoon smiled. He already had an idea in mind. “That works for me. Let me get your number and I’ll call you.”

The two exchanged numbers and Mani left, giving Namjoon a small wave before heading out the door. Namjoon stood watching after her for a while until Jimin came up behind him.

“Please tell me you talked to her this time,” the younger boy pleaded. “I don’t think I can take another week of you mooning over her.”

“Mani,” Namjoon corrected. “Her name is Mani and we have a date tomorrow.”

“Hot damn! I knew you had it in you. Just don’t screw it up.”

 

******

 

Namjoon and Mani met in a park not far from an elementary school. Mani unfolded the blanket she’d been asked to bring the night before on the phone. After they sat down, Namjoon started pulling things out of the bag he’d been carrying.

“Wow, you really went all out, didn’t you?” Mani asked. “Wait… is that a muffin from the café?”

Namjoon shrugged. “I swiped a couple this morning and I bought the rest of it afterward.” Seeing the large amount of juice and snacks he’d laid out made Namjoon suddenly feel embarrassed. “I just realized how much I brought…”

“It’s fine,” Mani said with a smile. “We’ll just have to hang out until we eat it all…or we could save some of it for next time.”

“Next time? You mean you plan on going out with me again?”

Mani smiled. “I’ll let you know after we see how today goes.”

“Okay.”

“You look nice today,” Namjoon said.

“Thanks.”

An awkward silence followed until Mani broke it.

“So how did you find this place? I don’t think I’ve ever been here before. Actually, I know I haven’t. I didn’t even know it was here.”

“I come here sometimes to think,” Namjoon said. “I like to listen to music.”

“I do too. I listen to music when I write.”

“What do you write?”

“Poems. Short stories…pretty much anything that comes to mind. I just really like to write. It’s easier to say what I want to say with pen and paper, ya know?”

Namjoon nodded. “I understand. I feel the same way.”

“Wow really? Do you write anything?”

“Yeah,” Namjoon said shyly. “I’ve written a couple raps but—”

“Let me hear one!”

“Nah…” Namjoon didn’t want to admit that he’d written some about her. That was too much too soon.

“But I want to hear…” Mani said, pouting just a little.

“Well, I’ll do one for you. I didn’t write it, but it’s the least I can do.”

“Okay.”

Clearing his throat, Namjoon stood up and faced Mani. He took a deep breath before spitting out the first lines he could think of.

“A voice that wakes me up in the morning
-morning kiss- I want to start the day
I’ll learn on your knees at night
As I listen to a lullaby
I want to dream of you.”

“Wow…”

Namjoon sat down next to Mani again. Hearing her in awe gave him a bit more confidence.

“That was cool,” Mani said. “I’ve never known a rapper personally before.”

“I’m not really a rapper, not yet anyway.”

“What do you mean?”

“I haven’t told anyone yet but I got into a company. I’m going to start training soon.”

Mani smiled. “That’s really good but…”

“But what?”

“That means you won’t have much time for me.”

It took Namjoon a long moment to understand what Mani was talking about. His head turned towards her in slow motion as the realization dawned on him.

“You mean, even though we don’t even really know each other, you want to go out with me?”

“You told me something really important to you. And besides, we’re not complete strangers. You know what I order at the coffee shop all the time.”

“That’s true.” It was starting to get late and somehow they’d managed to eat most of the snacks. “Can I walk you home?” Namjoon asked.

“I’d like that.”

It took only a few minutes to pack up the blanket and the few remaining snacks. Namjoon took the bag of stuff in one hand and boldly reached over and grabbed Mani’s hand with the other. She blushed but didn’t say anything as she led him towards her house. The two walked in companionable silence as they made their way to their destination.

“I had fun today,” Mani said once they were at her front door.

“We didn’t even do much…”

“But it was nice. I finally got to talk to you and that’s good enough for me.”

“Yeah, I liked that part too.”

“Don’t forget about me while you’re training, okay?” Mani waited until Namjoon nodded. “Next time we go out I’ll be expecting to hear one of your raps.”

“I can’t wait,” Namjoon said.

Mani smiled and turned to unlock her door. Before she went in she paused and turned back to give Namjoon a kiss on the cheek. The boy blushed and barely stopped himself from touching his cheek.

“Goodnight Namjoon,” Mani said.

“Goodnight.”