2.

Am I Hurting?

Chapter 2

 

The man kept walking back and forth in the waiting room, his blazer draped over his wrapped arm. He couldn’t sit nor could he stand still for a moment, even though his treated arm still hurts. He had panicked when the young man in the Bentley passed out, and if it wasn’t for all those people crowded around them at that time, he would have fled for being terrified. Right now, he was just feeling anxious; wondering, or rather hoping, the man he had crashed into would be fine.

 

After a kid had stared at him like he was some kind of a mental, he finally sat down, sighing. Not long after that, a nurse entered the room and went in front of him, “Sir, you are the one who brought Mr Lee Donghae here, if I’m not mistaken?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Then, please follow me. The doctor wishes to speak to you,” the lady gave him a smile before leaving and he hurried to trail behind her. She knocked the door and opened it for him.

 

He walked inside, not feeling comfortable at all in the cold room. “Have a seat, Mr Lee.” He sat and the doctor gave him an assuring smile, “Don’t be so tense, sir. Everything is quite alright,” that made him felt better, though just slightly, “There is just something that might concern you.”

 

“What is it, doctor? He is not in coma, is he?” Hyukjae was once again panicking. One second the doctor said everything was fine, and the next he said something ‘might’ worried him. Why did the doctor has to twist and complicate things, confusing him? Couldn’t he be straightforward and get this done already? This pep talk wasn’t helping.

 

“No, Mr Lee Donghae is quite fine. If you’re looking at him physically, he’s completely healthy except for the cut he received from the car crash.”

 

Hyukjae was almost relief, almost. But then he noticed something, “Physically?”

 

The doctor smiled, “I’m glad you caught that,” the doctor open the file he had been holding and his face turned serious, “We have ran a few test on Mr Donghae, to make sure his brain is not effected by the accident. We found none that occurred from it. But, through this test, it seems like Mr Donghae is experiencing a mental disorder.”

 

“Mental?” Hyukjae had a terrified look, his eyes widened slightly.

 

“Please do not assume he is crazy. He is not. We couldn’t specify what kind of mental disorder he is having, and we are uncertain about when did he started going through this. All we know is, he has been hallucinating, imagining things that are not there. It could most probably be delusional disorder, which is an uncommon psychiatric condition and the cause is unknown. This condition may not be dangerous, either for the patient or those around him, but it is unhealthy for the brain. Meeting a psychiatrist maybe one of the way, but this disorder takes a while to be gone completely and there is no specific time when that will be.”

 

Hyukjae had been listening, interpreting. He started to feel sorry for this man named Donghae. Truthfully, he was starting to feel curious about what had caused this Donghae to experience the disorder, but he dismissed that thought by saying it was none of his business to interfere and know. But, then why was the doctor-. Hyukjae’s thoughts were cut when he realized something at that moment that he wasn’t supposed to know all this.

 

“Doctor-“

 

He was cut off by the doctor, “I know this is hard to take in. No one could easily accept that this is happening to their loved one. But, this could be cured, it just needs time.”

 

“But doctor-“

 

Again the doctor stopped him from finishing what he was about to say, “Don’t worry, Mr Lee Hyukjae. Now,” the doctor stood and opened the door for him, “You should go and see him. He was chanting your name in his subconscious before we put him to sleep. But, he should be waking up now. So, come, I’ll take you to him.”

 

Hyukjae stood up, dumbfounded, and the doctor led him through the halls and towards Donghae’s room. Hyukjae hesitated, unsure about whether he should go in or not. The doctor urged him to, and he had no other choice but to do so. The doctor left him alone after he sat on the chair beside the bed and Hyukjae begun feeling uncomfortable again.

 

Hyukjae sighed while his eyes roamed the boring, white room. Then, those dark orbs landed on the relax face of Lee Donghae, and Hyukjae’s eyes were fixed there. The man lying on the bed looked quite handsome with his thin lips, soft skin, and mesmerizing teary eyes. Hyukjae had a look at those eyes when he had laid Donghae against his driver’s seat and the man had spoken his name.

 

“How did he knew my name?” a new question rose in his head, “Did he even know my name or was he saying someone else’s name?” He didn’t get much time to ponder on those questions as he noticed Donghae seemed to be restless, waking up.

 

The man in the bed suddenly sat up and was breathing harshly, shocking Hyukjae. “Hey? You’re alright? I can call the doctor if you want,” Hyukjae asked, feeling slightly concerned.

 

Then Hyukjae froze; he didn’t get to react as it happened so quickly. He suddenly found himself enveloped in a bone-crushing hug. He was stuck there, in Donghae’s arms, and he did not know what to do.

 

“Hyukkie! I was so afraid. I dreamt that I didn’t get to see you again. But, deep inside me, I know that was just a stupid dream. You would never leave me, right?”

 

Hyukjae took a moment before he shakily said, “Yeah… of course?”

 

Donghae snuggled into him, pulling Hyukjae with him onto the bed. Not knowing what he should do, Hyukjae patted Donghae’s hair and back. “I love you. Stay here, okay?” Donghae asked him, his words muffled as his face was almost buried on the other's shoulder.

 

And they stayed in the bed like that. Hyukjae didn’t know whether it was seconds, or minutes, or hours, but he was still there, cuddling Donghae who had fallen asleep again after a while, when the door opened and he heard someone coming in. He heard a gasp.

 

“Eunhyuk?” some guy had come in, now standing next to the bed and had a shocked look plastered on his face. “No, it can’t be. Who are you?” that face had turned serious and looked mad.

 

Hyukjae tried to entangle himself from Donghae’s strong arms, but it was hard because that man kept tightening his arms. He made it in the end, with some help from the man who just came in, and hopped off the bed.

 

“Can we talk outside, please?”

 

“Fine. You better explain this and not making up any nonsense!” that man went out the door, and after sparing another glance for Donghae, who was looking not as soothed as when Hyukjae was on the bed, he too followed.

 

He shut the door, and when he turned around, he saw the man had his arms crossed on his chest, “I’m Lee Hyukjae,” he intorduced himself, knowing if he held out his hand it won't be accepted nicely.

 

“Heechul. Now, speak!” Hyukjae told him everything. Who he was, how did he get involved in this matter, and then he told Heechul about Donghae’s condition.  “I know about him being delusional. I had my suspicion. What I want to know now is what the hell were you doing, lying on the bed with him? What do you want?”'

 

“Excuse me? Do you think I was trying to take advantage of him?" he stared incredulously at the other man, "That’s absurd! I’m straight! Not gay! The doctor made me visit him, thinking I’m some sort of his close one. I was just sitting there when that Donghae suddenly woke up and pulled me on to the bed with him. Don’t try to form any scenario in your head. Nothing happened and I was just lying there, trying not to move and disturb his sleep. Now, you know everything. I’ve paid the bills, and now I’m leaving.”

 

Hyukjae was about to storm away when Donghae started shouting ‘Hyukkie’, and he just had to turn his head and look through the door. Heechul rushed into the room, and tried to hold Donghae down as the man was trying to get off the bed and go to Hyukjae who was standing right in front of the door.

 

Heechul was getting frustrated as Donghae didn’t want to stop struggling. So, he did what he could only think off. Heechul looked towards Hyukjae, with his pleading eyes, and said, “Eunhyuk! Come here!”

 

And Hyukjae understood. He came in and took Donghae’s arms from Heechul, before he embraced the man. Right after he did that, he felt the man’s arms encircled him again. Hyukjae placed his cheek against Donghae’s soft hair and whispered softly, “Shh… Go back to sleep. I said I’m not leaving, right?”

 

“You promised?” the muffled words were heard and Hyukjae looked at Heechul, wanting to know if he should agree or not. The guy nodded.

 

“Yes, I promised. I won’t leave,” he got back on the bed and lied there with Donghae. He patted Donghae’s hair, just like he did just now, and soon the man fell asleep again.

 

“We need to talk,” Heechul said, his voice soft, trying not to wake Donghae again.

 

“About what?”

 

“About this. He used to just think Eunhyuk is there with him. But now he has seen you, hold you," Hyukjae still look puzzled at that, so he continued, "He doesn’t want to be apart from you. He got a physical contact - a source of heat, a respond - with 'Eunhyuk', he thought. So, seeing and imagining he is touching 'Eunhyuk' is no longer enough.”

 

“What exactly do you want me to do? I can’t act as if I’m this Eunhyuk. Who is this Eunhyuk, anyway? And why does Donghae thinks I am him?”

 

“Eunhyuk was his lover.”

 

“And what? He left him?” Hyukjae asked nonchalantly.

 

With a face with no emotion, Heechul said, “Literally, he did leave him. Eunhyuk is dead.”

 

Hyukjae averted his gaze from the other's, “I’m… sorry.”

 

“It's okay, forget it. Anyway, he thinks you are Eunhyuk because you are identical to him. Totally alike. I was fooled too when I first saw you,” Heechul admitted.

 

"Identical?"

 

Heechul nodded, "Yes. Not just your face, your voice and build too, which was why I was shocked into speechless. You are so alike, and I don't understand how that could be."

 

Hyukjae gave it a thought, "That is weird, to be exactly a copy of someone. But, I don't think it's impossible, according to science, anyway."

 

Heechul grinned, "Or maybe, you are related, but we need to go back to hundreds of years ago to see the link. You are a 'Lee', like Eunhyuk."

 

Nodding and smiling slightly, Hyukjae said, “If I am 100% identical to Eunhyuk, then it is no wonder why he thought I am him. I heard Donghae saying ‘Hyukkie’ a few times, and I thought he was actually calling me. But, that explains it now.”

 

“Then, Hyukjae, can you help Donghae get better?” Heechul suddenly asked.

 

“I will. His life seems tough, so, I do want to help him,” Hyukjae said sincerely as he looked at Donghae’s calm face.

 

“Can you be Eunhyuk?”

 

That caught his attention and his brow shot up, “You’re kidding, right?”

 

“He needs this. You said you want to help him, and this is a way for you to help him.”

 

Hyukjae sat up, letting his hand gripped Donghae’s to make sure the man didn't wake up because of the lost of contact, “Look, I’m not against gays and lesbians, but just like I said when we were outside, I’m not one. I can’t pretend to love him. I’m sorry.” He got off the bed. Gently, he pulled his hand out of Donghae’s.

 

Heechul stood, "But Hyukjae - "

 

The man with the broken arm stared at him, "Heechul, you can't even be sure that this will help him. What if it will worsen it? I don't know him, I don't know how Eunhyuk acts. And he too doesn't know me."

 

"He doesn't have to know you. I can help you get to know him, act like Eunhyuk does with him. This can work, maybe there is a chance it won't, but it is a way. A way to help Donghae," Heechul tried reasoning as he followed the other to the door, his voice still soft but with confidence. He really thought this could work.

 

They stopped as the door was slid open, Hyukjae's face scrunched up in hesitancy, "But, I have a life, Heechul. I have a job, I have a family, I have things I like and want to do. I don't mean to sound selfish, but my words remained; I don't know Lee Donghae. How and why do I want to do such a huge sacrificed for someone who means nothing to me?"

 

"But he means so much to me, Hyukjae. He's my friend, my brother. It pains me to see him not living how he should and let his years go to waste."

 

Hyukjae closed his eyes for a moment. He could easily relate to what Heechul said. He had a brother too, and he couldn't stand it if his brother was in Donghae's condition. He would do something, no matter how out-of-his-mind the thing would be. But, he didn't really have a brother around to do it, did he? His brother was not around to cause him to feel like that. His brother was completely fine... somewhere. 

 

"I'm sorry, Heechul," and with that Hyukjae walked out.

 

Heechul sighed. He shouldn’t have asked that. At the back of his head, he knew Hyukjae would reject the idea.

 

Donghae started moving again, bits of sweats appearing on his forehead, “Hyukkie,” he called out in his subconscious. Heechul slipped his hand into Donghae’s, but that didn’t help with anything. He had gotten ready for the outburst from Donghae.

 

But, he didn’t have to.

 

The outburst never came.

 

Donghae continued to sleep peacefully.

 

Thanks to Hyukjae, who had come back in and, for the third time that evening, wrapped Donghae in his arms and lied with him on the bed.

 

“I already said I’ll help, didn’t I? But, this doesn’t mean I have made a solid decision. I still need to think,” Hyukjae said with his eyes closed and he tried to sleep.

 

Heechul smiled and said his gratitude. He sat on the chair next to the bed, and kept his hold on Donghae. He was hoping that all this would turn out good, and not worsen things. And he also hoped that Eunhyuk blessed this plan.

 


 

Sorry if this kind of . I'm not feeling well, so this might not turn out so good and seems rushed. I've edited the foreword, so, if you want to, feel free to check it out. Hope you enjoyed reading. Oh and, I might have told some people that I'm going to make this a 10-chapters story. I'm taking back my words, because I think it'll be more than that. If possible, review please. :)