It Was Over Before It Had Even Started

It Began With An Ending (60 sec series p. 1)

Sunggyu - 60 sec

Myungsoo got out of his car and headed on a park's gate. He hid under his black umbrella as soon as he felt raindrops falling onto his skin.

He decided to have a walk in the rain on purpose. He had always liked taking strolls alone, watching water hit the ground and splash around. The city would seem more peaceful or even empty at times. If having to endure the weather was the only condition on which he could spend some time alone, without having to listen to other people, to bear with them being annoying and loud, then he would be more than happy to see that it is, in fact, raining.

That day he was lucky. It seemed that no one was in the park when he arrived. He smiled in content and took a deep breath.

This was another thing he loved about rain. The air always seemed so fresh after even the smallest drizzle.

He took his time walking along the paths, sitting on benches every now and then, the small smile never leaving his lips.

Peaceful wasn't the best word to describe rain. Yes, people would hide indoors in order not to get wet and therefore it was more silent outside, but then again, the nature would finally seem to get its time to show off the variety of sounds, such as water pouring down, colours - plants always appeared more green (or orange and maroon depending on the season) to him after it had rained, and scents, like the soil soaking up the water...

It's not like he hated people.

It was just that he never could find his place in the society. He was popular, he was definitely likeable and had friends. People enjoyed spending time with him, even though expecting to have a proper conversation with him was rather risky. He didn't like to talk about himself, and thinking about irrelevant and trivial things like weather or the latest news seemed ridiculous to him.

He was too engaged in his thoughts to realise that it wasn't raining anymore. He was sitting on one of the benches with the umbrella shielding him from the imaginary raindrops.

The main problem with people was that they didn't understand. They would always ask unnecessary questions without thinking them through. What was the umbrella for? He said he liked when it was raining after all. Why didn't he talk much? Why didn't he smile? Did he ever go out to parties or at least hang out with his friends in the mall?

Hearing those questions, he had happened to scoff at the people a few times. The person would find it disrespectful and rude, of course. But Myungsoo couldn't care less. Who needed people anyway. They were noisy and intrusive, expecting him to talk to them and enjoy the time spent with them.

In his eyes, other people were simply ludicrous.

His friends knew him well enough to realise that sometimes - or maybe most times - all he needed was solitude. They didn't understand him, but they acknowledged and accepted his ways. He was very thankful for their thoughtfulness.

When he finally realised that it stopped raining, he lowered his umbrella and got up, deciding to continue on roaming around for a while longer.

He came across a café he had never seen before.

His eyes widened in surprise when he saw a girl standing a few steps away from the café's door and he lowered his head, eyes focusing on his feet. Why would he be embarrassed actually? It was just a girl. It's not like he had never seen one before. Yes, he was oblivious to many things, but he was aware of their existence.

He stole a quick glance of the girl. She wasn't looking at him.

He heaved a sigh of relief and got up, knowing it wouldn't be long before the streets get crowded and noisy once again. There already were some people, hurrying on their way wherever they were going. He was about to head on the park's exit when something caught his attention.

The girl.

He took a few steps in her direction and eyed her thoroughly.

Uneasy was an understatement when it came to describing his feelings. She seemed different.

He almost cringed at his own thoughts. She was probably just as annoying and clingy as other girls, he tried to convince himself.

The girl didn't notice him. She was looking up, admiring the dark clouds covering the sky.

It felt as if the time stopped for a moment. People caught in midst of their steps, autumn leaves floating in the air, fallen halfway down.

It became even more tranquil than before. The only sound Myungsoo heard at that moment was his silent breathing and his heart thumping fast. Too fast.

She was beautiful. He didn't see that, he felt that. She was beautiful on the inside.

The gentle smile, the bright expression despite the downpour...

He blinked, uncertain whether she was real or not.

She was real.

And somewhat familiar.

He frowned, immersed in his thoughts once again.

People started to move, leaves were falling and the girl turned around and entered the café. The life moved on, as if nothing had happened a few seconds before.

Without much thinking he followed her inside.

He took a sit at a random table and looked in the counter's direction, his heartbeat speeding up once again. She was there, the smile still present on her face while she was making coffee for a customer. She handed the man his cup and flashed him a polite smile, adding some words of invitation for further purchase in their café.

He parted his lips and almost immediately mentally scolded himself. Why was he behaving like that out of a sudden?

That was when he saw it.

Everything.

The time didn't stop, not this time... But it led him to some memories.

A bright room filled with chuckles and voices of two people. They were cooking pasta together, although it seemed that they weren't paying close attention to the dish itself. The girl was laughing as the guy tried to chop a carrot.

'You'll cut yourself, dummy.', she nudged him. 'Let me do it.'

'But I want to help you.'

'You can take care of the sauce.'

He grabbed the handle of a frying pan and a spatula and stirred the ingredients.

'Look.', he took the spatula in his lips and lifted the pan, mixing everything together with a single movement of his hands. She smiled and added the carrot to their sauce.

A few minutes later the food was ready.

She grabbed a fork and a spoon and lifted some pasta from the plate, feeding him.

Having his mouth full, he could only nod to show his approval of the dish.

'Now it's your turn.', he stated and scooped a smaller portion of food to feed her. 'You eat like a child, always getting the food everywhere but inside your mouth.', he and she pouted. 'You should be happy I'm here.', he wiped the sauce away from her face.

'I am happy.', she frowned. 'Of course I'm happy. You're here after all.'

Ten seconds.

Just when he started to recognise the couple's faces, the scenery changed.

The boy was sitting on a couch in some place which seemed to be a living room. He was reading a book, although once again, the girl was distracting him. She wasn't doing anything particularly absorbing, quite the opposite actually. She was sleeping with her head rested comfortably against the guy's lap.

Fifteen seconds.

When a waitress spoke up next to him, he raised his head, eyes full of hope. However, as soon as he looked up he realised this wasn't her.

The waitress tried to encourage him to have a cup of tea, but he only shook his head, indicating that he'd rather she had left him alone.

Memories of his seemed to flood him, overwhelming him with colours, sounds and scents, just like the weather outside.

The colour of her cheeks when she blushed whenever they cuddled. The sound of her whining whenever he poked her forehead teasingly. The scent he inhaled whenever she was near.

Nineteen seconds.

He just stared at the barista once more, unable to tear his eyes away. She was captivating.

Suddenly he understood. The barista in the café was the girl from his dreams.

Not in the stupid, romantic and cheesy way. In the literal way.

He had been dreaming about her. The things he saw weren't flashbacks from his life, but from his dreams.

Although he could never see the people's faces in those dreams completely and clearly, he felt that it was true. They were the couple.

She must have felt his eyes on her face, because she lifted her head and sent him a questioning look. Their eyes met.

'Can I help you?', he heard a moment later.

He didn't realise she had made her way to his table, and therefore was sure that it was the waitress.

'I've already said that I don't-', he raised his head and almost gasped. It wasn't the waitress from before, it was the barista, the girl from his dreams.

She smiled at him politely, just like she did every time she delivered a customer their order. The smile was so different from the one she would spare him in the dreams. He felt sharp pain in his chest.

'I thought you may be cold, the weather today is really unpleasant. It's on the café's expense.', she placed a cup on the table.

For half a year he had believed that she didn't exist, that she was just a figment of his imagination. And yet there she was, offering him a cup of tea.

For a moment he thought he was the happiest man in the world.

Sunggyu - 60 sec (acoustic version)

He had a couple more flashbacks, just like the one when they were sitting at the table in his apartment and drinking jasmine tea. It was her favourite, at least the dream version of her claimed so.

Twenty-four seconds.

It was also the dream where he gave her a ring identical to his, only smaller in size so that it wouldn't fall off. In his dreams, he would always admire her hands - soft and subtle, with long and lean fingers.

Thirty-three seconds.

He bit his lower lip, trying to fight his shyness and speak up. He wanted to talk to her. It had never happened to him before, and to him it seemed like a denial of everything he believed in.

On the other hand, he felt like he needed to get to know her. The real her, not the dream one. He wanted to go somewhere together. To hear her out. To speak about his problems.

The dreams would always make him happy. They let him believe that there was someone in the world who actually cared. That despite him being antisocial and coarse, someone wanted to spend their time with him.

He almost smiled, but then his eyes went blank once more.

He was sitting on the couch. Alone. Looking away from the girl's direction.

Her back was facing him as she fought her tears.

She turned around and took a few steps towards him. She grabbed his wrist and dropped the couple ring onto the palm of his hand. Without saying one word she left.

He was alone once again.

Forty seconds.

With his heart beating fast, Myungsoo came back to the reality. He felt sharp pain in his chest.

He had had this dream before. The memory was too painful, though and it seemed that he pushed it away from his mind, hoping to forget about it for forever.

He had been willing to give them a chance. Before remembering the last dream, that is.

But then again, was it the best thing to do?

What if the they were going to part one day, just like they had in his dream? As much as it hurt, to restrain seemed to be the best option.

But would he sacrfice the opportunity to find his other half only because of a dream? Did it make sense? It had been just a dream after all.

He pulled the ring off his finger. He was done with those dreams, with wondering whether they would ever come true, he was done with everything.

He got up and headed for the door, leaving the ring on the table along with the cup of tea. He didn't even take a sip, afraid that it may turn out to be jasmine tea. He wouldn't be able to bear with that.

'Sir.', he felt someone tap his shoulder.

He begged that it wasn't the barista. He was on the verge of breaking down.

He took a deep breath and slowly turned around. Once he saw her face, he glanced up with a bitter smile.

'You left this ring on the table.', she explained, not discouraged by his expression in any way.

He heaved a deep sigh, trying his best not to cry.

Reaching out, he took her hand in his and slowly closed her fingers on the ring.

He didn't endure the pain. It was too much.

A single tear slowly rolled down his cheek.

The barista seemed lost at first, but after a moment of gazing at him her eyes suddenly widened.

Sixty seconds.

She was crying, too. He knew she saw it. He didn't know if it was possible, he didn't care. However, something made him believe that she saw it.

They stood in the middle of the café, tears streaming down their faces.

People, unaware of everything, chatted on as if nothing was hapening.

Myungsoo let go of her hand and exited the café quickly, never looking back. He almost choked on his breath as soon as he inhaled outside.

The air after downpour had never seemed so suffocating before.


Woah.

Alright, so you've made it! You've managed to read this to the end. Thank you so much for stopping by!

This is only a loose intrepretation of the MV. Don't hate on me if it's not 100% accurate (I know it isn't) ;-;