You're my Shadow

You're my Shadow

The phone rang suddenly in her bag. Everyone would have thought it was just a mere ringtone, but for her it sounded strange and sad. Like a warning for something bad if she pressed the green button. But at the same time, it rang loudly, like it wanted her to pick up desperately. Or she would regret it very deeply. So she did it. She took out the thin device and answered the incoming call. 

"Ms. Kim?"

The voice sounded relieved and it seemed to belong to a stranger.

"Yes, it's me.", she said, wondering about the reason behind this unexpected phone call.

"I'm calling from Seoul Hospital. I'm sorry to say this but your boyfriend, Luhan, was involved in a major accident and he's in a crisis right now. It's impossible to do surgery because it may cause further dangers for the patient. He's probably breathing his last breaths."

It may sounded absurd but hot tears already rolled down her cheeks at that point. Without hesitation, she waved down a cab.

"He wants to talk to you. He said that you're the person he wants to be with in his last minutes. Do you think you'll make it here in time?", the man continued even though she wanted him to shut up, or at least tell her that he was lying. That it was the first of April today.

"I'm on my way. C-can... can I talk to him right now? Can he talk?", she asked with a trembling voice.

A few seconds of silence.

"S-seul?"

She held to prevent herself from crying out loud. She knew Luhan hated it when she cried, especially when it was something about him. Her heart felt like it would burst from the thumping pain and sadness. His voice sounded so fragile, but still the angelic and soft tone remained there, hidden inside the weak one.

"Listen to me Luhan. I'm coming there right now. You must survive, do you hear me? You can't die. There are many things we still don't have the chance to complete yet. You promised to sing for me on my birthday, didn't you? Luhan, please stay alive.", she tried to utter.

"I c-can't, Seul. I want to though."

He knew that very well, that the more promises he continued to leave behind him, the harder it would get for his girlfriend to move on. It was better to stay realistic and then forget, than to say false things and then live in these words forever.

"I just want to say thank you for being by my side all this time...", he said.

"No, no, please!"

"...and helping me over the barriers that I couldn't have done alone."

"Luhan, please! You are going to li..."

"Ssh! Also s-sorry for not being able to stay by your side forever and f-fulfill my duty as the boyfriend you'd like me to be...", his voice cracked mid-sentenced by the crying.

"No, you're perfect, Luhan! Please, don't!", she nearly screamed for him to understand.

"...and for not being able to protect you until the end. But I will continue to watch over you and protect you, e-even when I'm gone. Stay strong, Seul. It won't be a loss for you. And as for my last wish towards you..."

"You're not GOING anywhere, I've said!", she screamed, clutching onto the phone like Luhan's life depended on it,

"...I wish you to move on and forget the stupid me that are going to leave you soon. I want you to find a new boyfriend that y-you'll marry and finish your life with. I need you to continue to smile even though life is deceiving you and I'm not there anymore. You must be happy throughout your whole living no matter what. C-can you do that?", he asked. The tone indicated that he was trying to smile between the flowing tears, but he failed to do so. Since reality hurt.

"No, Luhan. If you're gone... then... then...", she couldn't finish the sentence.

The taxi stopped in front of the main entrance. She quickly gave the driver the money and rushed to the door, nearly knocking down an elderly.

"I'm sorry.", she mumbled while bowing and ran to the reception.

"Seul... even if I don't get to see your face the last time before I'm gone, I'm glad I'm being able to hear your voice again.", he said hurriedly as if he was busy but in fact it was only Death that was nearer than ever since. "Remember, forget about me and move on. I love you and will continue to do it even when I have disappeared."

"No!", she shouted as she made her way through the long corridor that seemed like it would never end to Luhan's room.

"Goodbye..."

She quickly ended the call to reach the destination faster. When she had finally slammed the door open, the doctor was on his way to cover Luhan's sleeping face with the white sheet. He looked so peacefully, as if he had already accepted his fate as soon as he said goodbye. She stared at the thin, straight line on the pulse device, indicated that Luhan's short life on Earth had been taken away by Death. Forever.

"You said you love me! Why are you closing your eyes then? Wake up! I'm here now, Luhan. Wake up. Why are you being like this? WHY?!!", she screamed angrily while hitting his covered body and allowed her knees to fold. Tears were streaming down her cheeks rapidly. Nurses gave each other long, sad looks.

"I wasn't able to say I love you to you yet. Why are you leaving so soon?"

But despite crying and screaming like that, she knew it wouldn't be any miracles in here. Miracles happened in fairytales, but their story wasn't one. Luhan was gone, and he was never coming back.

 

A/N: The title "You're my shadow" indicates that every time Seul tried to reach to Luhan, he would always be one step before her, like a shadow. For example, when she finally got to see him, he had already died. It also has another meaning, that he would always be there in her heart, even though she wouldn't notice it the whole time, like your own shadow. It is always there beside you but you don't always take notice to it, right?