Three Months Later

In the Distance

Three months later...


'Gyu Won?' Shin whispered. 'Please say something.'

Gyu Won turned her head away and bit her lip. The year had been so great for them, and now she had to let him go? With no idea of when he would be coming back?

'Remember, we can Skype everyday and I'l be back on the 5th of Jun-'

'For a few days!' Gyu Won shouted.Quietening down, she added, 'And who knows when you'll come back again?'

Shin put his hands on her shoulders and turned her to him. 'I thought you said you were okay with this, Gyu Won-ah,' he said quietly, 'Do you want me to wait a couple more days for you to get used to the idea?'

A flight attendant approached the couple, still sitting in the waiting area. 'Mister Lee, I'm sorry but we can't wait any longer,' he said quietly, sneaking glances at Gyu Won's tear-stained cheeks.

Shin looked at his girlfriend and turned back to the flight attendant with a smile. 'Thankyou sir, I won't be taking a flight tonight. I'm sorry for any inconveniences I caused.' The attendant raised his eyebrows and then smiled, patting Shin on the back before leaving with a polite nod.

Shin stared down at his passport in his lap and sighed. It was all for the best. He put his hand on the shoulder beside him and as he looked up, his eyes widened.

'I am so sorry, miss!' he apologised to the brunette girl beside him, before running up to Gyu Won who he spotted talking to the attendant at the ticket gate. She motioned for him to bring his suitcase with a sad smile.

'Chongmal?' he said, wiping her tears with the sleeve of his cardigan, peering into her face. 'You'll really be okay?' Gyu Won nodded like a puppy and pecked him on the cheek. Seeing the attendant checking his watch awkwardly, Gyu Won pushed Shin towards the bridge to the plane.

'Call me when you arrive!' she called out, waving him away.

Minutes later, she watched from the glass window of the airport, as the plane with her boyfriend of two years and three months took off, and she watched until it was just a couple of tiny flashing lights in the dark night sky.

Up in the plane, Lee Shin stared out the window at the small white cube of light below. 'I miss you already,' he whispered, holding onto a tattered bear keyring that read GW♥S.