oo5: Prep Time

Of Cops and Robbers

A scream resounds in the beauty salon, deafening and high pitched. Immediately, Eunhyuk jumps out of his sleeping position on the comfortable waiting couch, alarmed by the yell of terror. His eyes search the vicinity for the origin of the scream until he sees one fuming Han Ri Young marching her way up to him, hairdressers in tow.

What did you do?” Ri Young threateningly asks and Eunhyuk has to blink to register what exactly is going on. For his own sake, Eunhyuk decides to keep his mouth shut.

It has been almost three weeks since chief Lee Byung Min has assigned him as head of Aiden Lee’s case. Eunhyuk had never before felt such an intensity to end the case once and for all, however for it to actually end, they needed a successful start. Enter his boss’ ridiculous idea of an undercover agent to infiltrate Lee’s personal life, and possibly, his business related dealings as well. Who else would Eunhyuk trust enough but his own hoobae, the one officer Eunhyuk had personally mentored through the short years she has been working with them, Han Ri Young?

In the three weeks that have gone by in a blur, it would be an understatement to say Eunhyuk had turned the girl’s life upside down. Any form of make-up had been banished; the only thing Eunhyuk had allowed her to carry was a small compact powder her father had given her a while back. Her diet was completely redone, only on weekends would she be able to eat fast food and her new menu was composed completely of leafy greens and food with calories less than the size of her waist. Ri Young’s night life and social life had practically turned non-existent; he had her move in with him for the time being to ensure she was sleeping right. The young woman’s wardrobe has turned a 180 as well, goodbye slacks, sweats and reliable everyday use Adidas – hello, skirts, skinnies and some killer heels.

In easier terms, Eunhyuk had turned her life into a living hell whilst in the process of turning her into her fake alias, Jung Jin Rae.

However, even with everything he has put her up against; Ri Young has yet to utter a complaint. Well, until now.

“I asked what did you do.”Ri Young hisses, prodding him on the chest with each word, each push more forceful than the last. Eunhyuk frowns despite himself.

“What – what’s wrong?” he asks, eyebrows furrowed at an attempt to assess her. He shoos away the hairdressers that has become friends of his due to his frequent visits to the salon.

What’s wrong?” she mocks, as if unable to believe he has actually said those words. “Everything is wrong!” she throws her arms up to further justify her point. She scoffs before turning her back on him. She breathes out in an attempt to calm herself down; feeling the urge to punch Eunhyuk in the face isn’t exactly a good idea.

She turns on her heel once she thinks she has calmed down enough and glares heatedly at the blonde.

“I let you take away my makeup, deprive me of my food, invade my social life and redo my whole wardrobe.” Ri Young easily takes a step forward with each accusation, glare still steady. Eunhyuk takes a tentative step back with each of her advances, frown still intact.

“But mess with my hair?” she growls and Eunhyuk stays rooted to his spot, paralyzed with fear as she closes the distance between them. “I don’t think so, Myeolchi.”

“What?”

Eunhyuk takes the time to finally assess Ri Young’s appearance in spite of his predicament. To say she merely looks ‘better’ would be a definite understatement. In Eunhyuk’s opinion, Han Ri Young just gave Kara’s goddess Park Gyuri a run for her money.

Ri Young’s skinnier, no more unnecessary flab at all; her legs especially, man those heels certainly do the trick. Her posture is damn better too, completely straight with the walk and sway of a supermodel on the catwalk. And even though she has lost a couple of pounds, her skin looks healthier than ever, soft and smooth like a baby’s behind. Her face is practically glowing; there are no more dark circles under her eyes.  Her hair has been her biggest transformation yet though. Ink black has been dyed milk chocolate brown, giving it a gentler look. Her stick straight locks are no more, replaced by soft waves framing her delicate face.

Even when she’s fuming mad, Eunhyuk can’t help but hold his breath at the sight of her.

“Wow.” It’s all he can say as it just about summarizes everything he wants to tell her.

Wow? That’s all you can say?” she growls, undeniably misunderstanding his intention with the word. Although how anyone would be able to misinterpret that is beyond Eunhyuk’s comprehension. “You practically destroyed my hair!”

“Well excuse me, would you have likes it dyed banana blond instead?” he retorts, sarcasm dripping heavily with each word. “At least I didn’t tell them to cut it as short as T-ara’s Hwayoung.”

Ri Young stops for a moment, contemplating the thought. “Alright, so maybe it isn’t as bad…” she seems to have calmed down a bit and Eunhyuk takes the risk of grinning brightly at her.

“Besides,” he takes her shoulders and guides her back to the hairdressers waiting to mold her hair into absolute perfection. “Straight locks made you look fat.”

Thank God for mandatory combat training or else Eunhyuk would be sporting a bright bruise just 2 cm above his eye due to a certain brunette’s fist. He laughs hard before dropping her wrist and grins before swooping down to whisper in her ear.

“You look gorgeous, by the way.”

Ri Young promptly shuts up, completely flustered.

.oOo.

“I still have no idea why you’re making me do all this.” Ri Young comments, adjusting the aviator shades perched carefully on the bridge of her nose. Eunhyuk leads her into a fancy café with a vague smirk.

“Why not; it’s not exactly a disadvantage to have a pretty lady on your side.” Eunhyuk replies cheekily, seating her on a regal looking chair whose cushions seem ready to practically swallow her whole. He sits from across her and orders two cappuccinos for the both of them.

Ri Young raises a brow suspiciously.

“What are you playing at here, Hyukjae?” she asks as she surveys the vicinity. No one but fancy looking elites sit at every table. Maybe this is the reason Lee Hyukjae looks particularly dressed up that day wearing a black muscle shirt underneath his grey blazer and midnight black slacks with dark loafers accompanied by his blond hair tussled to perfection.

Maybe this is also the reason he dragged her to the salon to have her hair properly butchered.

He grins her way knowingly though, as if he knows something she doesn’t. It irks her so much. Ri Young wishes right there and then for nothing but to wipe that irritatingly adorable grin from his face.

“We’re meeting a friend.” He says and as soon as the words leave his mouth, he grins even brighter, standing up and waving casually to someone behind her.

Curious, Ri Young takes a shot to glance over her shoulder and is left with her jaw hanging open.

A gorgeous young man, probably in his early or mid twenties, waves back at Eunhyuk. He has short dark hair and darker eyes that simply light up the room despite its honestly cold aura. He exudes an aura of mystery though, intriguing and making even Ri Young herself curious to know more when he hasn’t even properly introduced himself. But his gentle, yet masculine features aren’t what makes Ri Young stare at the charming young man, but his smile. He smiles on slightly, yet brightly, making even young elite women stop to take a second glance at the stunning man.

“Kibum-ah,” Eunhyuk calls brightly, extending his hand to shake with the man called Kibum. Ri Young unconsciously stands as well when he comes close enough. From up close, he looks even more handsome.

“Eunhyuk hyung,” Kibum greets, taking his hand, his baritone voice sending shivers down Ri Young’s spine. Eunhyuk wraps a protective arm around Ri Young’s shoulders and pulls her just that tad bit closer.

“Kibum, this is Officer Han Ri Young, a close friend of mine and our undercover agent for Lee’s case.” Eunhyuk introduces her and Kibum extends a hand out for her. Ri Young doesn’t like how formal Eunhyuk sounds but doesn’t particularly care as she takes Kibum’s hand in greeting. He takes her hand up to his mouth and plants a chaste kiss on her knuckles.

“A pleasure to meet you,” He says, looking up from his lashes with a vague smile playing on his lips. If Eunhyuk wasn’t holding her, she swears she would have melted into a puddle of goo already.

“Ri Young, this is Kim Kibum.” Eunhyuk says stiffly, giving Kibum’s shoulder a pat much too rough for Eunhyuk’s usual strength. “Genius analyst and profiler; he’s part of the Intel department.”

Ri Young’s eyes grow wide at the introduction. She takes back her hand from his loose grip in surprise. “Intel department? But you’re so young!”She comments bluntly and Kibum chuckles in reply.

He offers for them to sit down first before the interrogation and briefing starts. He orders his own coffee before smiling back at Ri Young.

“I was recruited at a younger age than most.” He answers her unsaid question. Ri Young nods, impressed before she stops and frowns.

“More like during high school.” Eunhyuk scoffs and grins cheekily at Kibum. “He and I were from the same high school. Just before my batch graduated, there was this big case revolving around a murder of our teacher. Kibum managed to figure it out singlehandedly and KNPA recruited him before the school year ended.”

“Wait – how old are you again?”

“Younger than you,” Eunhyuk mutters and earns himself a swift kick to the shin underneath the table. Kibum continues to smile anyway, giving them the pleasure of acting like he hasn’t noticed a thing.

“I’m 24 this year.”

“We’re the same age then!” she comments cheerily. “What month?”

“August,”

“Ahh, I see. I was born in February.” She nods. Well, she really doesn’t mind being called noona by him anyway. The two continue with their question and answer portion until Eunhyuk cuts in, obviously annoyed his supposed meeting has turned into what seems like a speed dating scene with him as their timer.

“Alright, introductions are over. Time for what we came here for.” He says grumpily and places a folder on top of their table before pasting a grin on his face as a waitress serves their coffees. The young woman winks his way before turning and sashaying towards another table. Eunhyuk earns himself another quick kick under the table. He glares quickly at Ri Young before focusing his attention towards the folder.

“We need to fix that habit of yours too.” He mumbles under his breath and takes a sip of his cappuccino. Ri Young rolls her eyes at him. Men and their mood swings.

“Let’s get down to business.”


A/N: Just a build-up chapter for the next one. I promise the next one would be more exciting! :D
Heads up; our favourite little fish will be back for the next chapter. Please wait for it~ :)