Final

White Night

while i'm posting this, laruku's hurry xmas suddenly plays. coon is contented

Dashing through the snow in a one horse open sleigh

O'oer the fields we go laughing all the way

Bells on bobtails ring making spirits bright

What fun is it to ride and sing a sleighing song tonight!

I stomped over piles of papers and decorations on the floor, straight toward the window across the room. Everyone was bright and happy. The room I was in had become a bit stuffy thanks to all the high school students inside. Opening the window slightly to find some fresh air, I saw teachers and school staffs were busy decorating a big Christmas tree in the yard. I breathed hard.

December had always been the coldest month ever; well, at least in my thought. Everyone else might be warmed up by their families' Christmas spirit, but I wasn’t. For my family, Christmas was no different from other days. My parents were busy as hell; wasting one whole day and night only to stay in home baking meatloaves and cookies was the last thing they’d do. So, forget Christmas, it was not in my agenda since a long time ago.

It wasn't like I haven't celebrated Christmas at all. When I was a kid, Christmas was a very special day. My grandparents would make me delicious cookies and gave me lots of presents. The big family would gather with a warming spirit. But it didn't last very long. As I grew up, my family moved to a big town. My parents worked much harder and they became busier than ever. We began to forget how it felt like to celebrate Christmas. I had to admit; sometimes I really missed that feeling.

"What are you doing? Close the window, it's so cold."

Someone patted the back of my head with a rolled paper.

"Sorry." I muttered before closing the window.

That person -my slightly older classmate Moon Jongup- looked through the window to see the scenery outside. I shifted aside to give him some space.

"If only there is snow, it would be very nice." He stated. I gave him a small nod. "You're right."

"Know what? They said you can wish for anything you want at White Christmas."

"Really? Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's gonna snow this year."

"Who knows?" He said, raising one eyebrow. I didn't reply.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked.

"What? I'm fine."

"No you are not. If this is the usual you, you would have been bouncing around this room like a mad cat, like what you did last Halloween."

"Cut the crap hyung, I'm not in the mood to slap you away this time."

"What's the big deal?" He asked again, leaning closer to me.

"Nothing. Let's just say... Christmas is not my favorite holiday." I replied shortly and threw him a smile.

"Naaah, forget it. I'll be helping Mr. Kang, it seems like he has some trouble putting on the ribbons up there. You too Guppie hyung, you better go there and help Yongguk hyung, looks like Channie hyung is ready to rip him into pieces.”

I waved my hand and left him. Honestly, I didn't really like to talk about this matter. I mean, it was no big deal. I didn't really like Christmas, so what? As long as I helped everyone get the decorations done, no one would care about that.

 

 

"Well, thank you for your help, everyone! Be careful on your way home and Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas!"

All students cheered and began to pack their belongings after the decorating was done. I was amazed on how the plain classroom turned gold, red and greens only within hours. It felt a lot more Christmas-like afterwards.

"Thanks for helping me with the ribbons back then." Mr. Kang said to me. "Say my warm greetings to your family, okay?"

I smiled. My family? I even wonder if any of them would be home when I arrived. But I nodded anyway, giving him a simple 'sure' to be polite. I grabbed my bag fast, uncaring if anyone called me to hang around before going home. I just want to arrive in my house quickly.

The air was cold; the temperature had been getting lower as the end of the year approaches. I zipped my jacket a little more and wrapped the scarf around my neck and up to my cheeks to help me fight with the chill. That aside, it would be much better to hide my tear-stained cheek from those Santa Clauses I encountered as I sprinted all the way home.

I knew I should’ve gotten used to it; however, I couldn't help but cry over and over again whenever I saw a happy family passing through.

I arrived home and opened the locked door with my key. I was the only person who stayed most in the house because my parents only spent not more than a couple of hours a day here. My stomach growled but I was not in the mood to go to the kitchen and heat some food. I would prefer to crawl onto my bed and sleep, and when I woke up this season would already end.

 

 

I was awakened by the cold wind my skin. It seemed like I forgot to lock the window before sleeping, and the wind was strong enough to blow in. I didn't know how long I've been asleep, but sun was yet to be seen outside. A night hadn't passed.

I lazily got out of bed to close the windows, but my footsteps halted in the middle when I saw a piece of white paper on the floor. I took it and read the handwriting. It felt somehow familiar, but I was unable to point out exactly who wrote it.

I'll steal the night sky and lit the candles

And keep the presents hidden for a moment

Until I see the diamonds in those beloved eyes of yours

I wonder if you'll be happy

As I finished, I heard a soft knock on my window. Scared but curious, I stood up and opened the fluttering curtains. I saw a man dressed up in a red Santa Claus suit, a smile on his face as he tried to balance the sack on his shoulder while hanging on to my window.

"Merry Christmas." He sang.

“I'm supposed to jump in through your chimney instead of your window, but, well… don’t want to risk getting carbon-poisoned.” He flashed me a sheepish smile, jumping into my room as I stepped aside. Swiftly he reached into the sack, pulling out various Christmas decorations and putting them in appropriate places. I stood there, unmoving, my mind was still foggy from sleep and I could barely register what happened. Maybe if the Santa Claus who came to my room was an evil kidnapper, by the time I regained my senses I would already be somewhere in Siberia.

I snapped back from my semi-trance when the smiling Santa Claus pulled my hand to the corner of my room. Right at that corner, a small Christmas tree stood gracefully covered in various decorations. Except one.

“The star,” I mumbled, pointing at the top of the tree. “You forgot the star.”

His smile widened as he once again reached into the sack and pulled out a golden star.

“You remembered,” he exclaimed happily.

He put the star in my hand and gently helped me to put the star on top of the Christmas tree. Memories began to flash before my eyes. I remembered a huge Christmas tree in my grandfather's house; I remembered how my father lifted me up so I could reach the top of the tree and put the star. I remembered the feeling. I remembered the warmth. As I put the star on top of the tree, my tears began to drop one by one, and then it was turned into a long sob. I remembered... Christmas.

“Don’t cry.” He softly wiped my tears away. “Hey, I'm supposed to make you smile, not cry. If you cry then I’ve brought shame to all members of Santa Claus society.”

I chuckled and brushed the tip of my eyes roughly. “Dope. I'm not crying because I'm sad. It’s just that… this is the first time my Christmas ever been this warm. After we stopped celebrating it years ago, I never thought I'd feel this warmth again. I...”

“Warmth, eh.” The Santa Claus, my dope, smiling angel Jonguppie hyung, chuckles softly. “Truthfully, I’ve never thought about Christmas as a magical holiday. It’s just another usual day. It’s the people who radiate warmth, not the season.”

“True.” I smiled, feeling genuinely happy.

“Yup, you look a thousand times better smiling than sulking. I’m gonna leave now, okay Jello? Let’s just hope that everyone is too busy with their families so no one would roam on the streets and suspect me a thief.” He walked towards the window with me unconsciously following behind. Before he stepped on the window ledge, as we were standing side by side, he suddenly froze.

"Oops." He mumbled. "It seems like the tradition wouldn't let us go."

For a brief moment I was confused. Only before I realized what was hanging on top of our head.

"Oh. You even put mistletoe up there." I whispered softly. I could feel heat spreading across my face. But, who am I to resist?

On the holy night, an angel descends to Earth, and with a smile never faltering, he captured me in a sweet kiss.

"Merry Christmas."

I thought I was still dreaming when he jumped down from the ladder he put outside my window. What was that, illusion? I almost believed everything as a long dream when something cold fell on the tip of my nose. Snow.

It seemed like this year's Christmas turned into a white Christmas.

A night when you could wish for anything to be granted.