Years I Have Waited

Years I Have Waited

The moon in the sky was waning, and the darkness in my room was all encompassing, save for the light emmitted by my iPod screen. The floor was covered in packed suitcases, ready for the trip of a lifetime I was to embark on in the morning. I had fantasized about it for years, and when my funds were sufficient, I took the plunge and bought the aeroplane tickets to and a little flat in Seoul, South Korea. 
I was finally chasing my dreams, even though it meant leaving my family behind in the UK. I'd been preparing myself and my parents for my departure for a long time, but they didn't quite grasp that I was going to be thousands of miles away from them, and my mother was deathly afraid of flying, and my father not as young as he once was, so visiting would be difficult. I would miss them, but my life couldn't be dedicated to pleasing others. My life was for me, and my aim was happiness. I knew I could be happy there. So I was going, and my best friend, a Korean woman of the same age as me called Minyoung, was coming with me. This assured my parents, because at least I wouldn't be going on this journey alone.

   Before settling into bed and sleeping, I checked my email one last time. I was wishing, though not overly hopeful, that I had won a competition run by Super Junior's official fanclub. They were the Kpop group that formed the foundation of my dreams. They inspired me, encouraged me, made me strive to better myself, have dreams bigger than myself, and overall, to be happy. Their concert just so happened to be the day after I was set to arrive in Seoul, and I wanted to go more than anything. However, the tickets had sold out in a literal minute, and I was misinformed as to when, where, or how to buy them. I was pissed, but then this competition came up.
   The grand prize was two tickets. Not just any tickets, but VIP tickets, for the best seats in the house, and to meet the members after the concert. Minyoung told me about it, and we both entered in a heartbeat. It was twice the chance of winning; we were both massive ELFs, and if either of us won, the other would get the spare ticket. 
That night was when the winner would be announced, but first they would be notified by email. As I unlocked my iPod one last time to check one last time, it was with a determinedly pessimistic mindset. I clicked on the little icon with an envelope image. I froze.

I screamed.


It was in Korean, but I knew enough to know what the message meant. I had won. I HAD WON! I couldn't believe it. Super Junior. Meeting. In person. I began to hyperventilate, and d around for my phone. Disregarding the fact it was 1:35AM completely, I dialled Minyoung's number. She didn't pick up.
   " get to the phone!" I yelled. (She wasn't a , she was lovely, but we were close enough to casually insult each other.)
I rung again. This time she picked up and answered groggily.
"What the hell are you caling me for at this time?" she gurgled.
"GUESS. WHAT." I yelled. "I WON. I WON. WE CAN MEET SUPER FREAKING JUNIOR."
I let this sink in.
Soon we were both screaming.
I eventually screamed myself to sleep. 

The morning was hectic, with all the organisation of luggage and goodbyes to family, but I was giddy with happiness. I met up with Minyoung at the Cardiff bus station, and we hugged and started crying. We were met with some odd looks from other people waiting for their bus, but we didn't care. We held off on the screaming, but we gushed on and on about the things we were going to do and how we were going to meet them and what foods we were going to eat and what the concert was going to be like and the places we should visit and wondering how the members smelled. 
   The sky threatened rain, and the first few droplets fell down just as our coach to London arrived. Laden with bags, we took our seats and started our journey.
   It took nineteen hours to arrive at Incheon airport. We stepped off the plane smelly and disgusting, but we felt like idols, walking through the areas we had seen in so many pictures, though we didn't exactly have that Eunhyuk airport fashion finess. The rooftop room we had spent the minimal amount of money on was in the centre of Seoul, in the Dongjak district, so we hailed a taxi to take us there, taking in as much of the capital as we could see on the way. Our dwelling was damp and cold and seemed to also be the home of a family of cockroaches, but the view when standing outside the door above all the other houses was stunning.
   "Wow," Minyoung whispered once we had dragged all our bags to the top of the stairs. Wow was right. We could see all the lights of the city sparkling off of the Han river. There were long roads crammed with cars in an eternal jam, and the divide between light-polluted air and pure, open, starry sky visibly cut through the air.
   Being the proud British person that I am, I set the bags down and started digging around in my suitcase for the kettle, teabags and mugs.
"Fancy a cup of tea?" I offered Minyoung.
"Yes please," she replied. We sat down inside, and started talking yet again about our favourite subject, Super Junior. We were almost wetting ourselves with excitement, like a puppy brought into a new, loving home. Tomorrow, we were going to meet them. And we were freaking out, to put it lightly.
   Tomorrow was going to be the best day of my life, so far.