Birthday Promise

Collection of Hae's Oneshots

Birthday Promise
Kyuhae a/n : written in Donghae's POV

Yesterday, today, tomorrow, and forever we will always be together. That's what 1 thought.

It was a beautiful day at our school, SM High. In our crowded a noisy class, class 10-A, me and Kyuhyun was going through cake brochure from various shops.  Chocolate cake, short cake, cheese cake, literary every kind of cake I can think of. Well, Kyuhyun and I have been going from shop to shop while collecting brochures anyway.It's just a few days away from my birthday and we have to plan everything for my birthday quickly. Just like every year.

"Kyu~ it’s almost my birthday. This year, give me an expensive present nae?" I said jokingly.

"Aish... Hae" Kyuhyun rolled his eyes playfully.

"kkkkk ~ I'm just kidding but, I'm expecting it." I replied with a mischievous grin.

Kyuhyun and I had been dating for 4 years. It started when we were just on junior high school.  That day was my birthday. After school on that special day, he confessed to me. Since then, we have always celebrated my birthday together; it's a very special day.

"Kyu, what cake shall I buy this year? Wait, I mean you shall buy?" I asked while handing him a cake shop brochure. 

"You're going to get chubby" He teased me.

"I don't care" I huffed.

Every year on my birthday Kyu and I will always promise to celebrate my birthday together the next year. I really hope we can do this forever. Celebrating it together makes me very happy, more than any other gifts. This year, we promise again nae, Kyu?

School ended soon and as always, Kyuhyun and I walked home together. We exited the school gate and crossed the street. Omo? I forgot my cell phone.

"Kyu, I left my cell phone at school. Wait here okay? I'll take it." I gave him an apologetic smile.

"Okay. Be fast" He said with a smile.

"Nae” I nodded and gave him a wide grin.

I crossed the street cheerfully. Just then, I saw something in a fast speed coming to my direction and the last thing I heard was a loud bang. I heard Kyu's voice, he was screaming my name. I wanted to open my eyes but, I can't. I felt like burning, pain was all over my body. I couldn't move. I heard sounds of ambulance. What's happening? Am I dead? No! No! Kyu!!!

My body started responding again and I opened my eyes. I found myself in Kyu’s room. That was a weird dream, it felt very realistic. Then, I heard the door crack open.

“Hey Kyu! Listen, a while ago I-“My words were cut by his shocked face.

“Ha-Hae? Is that really you?” He asked, almost like it’s unbelievable that I’m here.

“What’s the matter?” I whined at him, eager to know why he is so confused.

“What is this?! Why are you here? Didn’t you know? You got into an accident. Right now, you’re in the hospital, unconscious."Kyu said in a confused tone.

Both of us rushed to the hospital. Kyuhyun brought me to the ICU Room and I can’t believe my own eyes. I saw myself lying lifelessly on the bed with medical machines all around me.

 “What is all of this?” I asked.

I couldn’t believe what I’m seeing. Is that my body? I panicked immediately, how did I become like this? If my body’s already like that, why am I still here?

“Then, what am I? Am I a ghost? But, you can see me right, Kyu? Why? Am I going to die just like that?” I blurted out all of the questions in my head and Kyuhyun gave me a furious look.

“You’re not going to die! My Hae is not going to die! You are not going to die! You are not going to die, right?” Kyuhyun screamed while kneeling at the floor, crying.

Hi hands that are shaking and my weak body in front of my eyes made me notice that my life is going to end soon. I have never imagined I will experience something like this.

In silence, we headed back to Kyuhyun’s apartment. Both of us were silence, not uttering a single word. We were trying to understand this entire nonsense but, we can’t. I’m tired of all of this silence; I decided to break the ice.

 “If you think it in an easy way, I’m like fictional character when their soul got separated from their body. Maybe I’m going to be like this until my body heals” I said while flying around the room.

Yes, flying. Since I’m kind of a ghost I can fly. Flying is not so bad, actually. I heard Kyuhyun chuckling. I looked at him with a pout.

“What?”

“You were so sad a while ago and now you’re so cheerful like nothing happen. It’s very cute.”

“Ugh... You were the same!” I protested but, he just continued laughing.

I wanted to hit his chest lightly, when my hand went through his body. Both of us froze for a moment. I just laughed awkwardly to beat the silence.

“Haha, I guess ghosts can’t touch. That’s too bad. I want to get healthy soon and go back to my body. It’s almost my birthday” With my words, Kyuhyun’s eye was filled with sadness.

“Yes” he said with a warm smile, covering his sadness and worries.

I guess he understands that I’m also faking my smile and laugh. That’s why he’s laughing too. Thank you, Kyu. I’m sorry.

The next day, I came to school with Kyu and nobody seems to notices me. I guess, they can’t see me like Kyu can. Sooner or later we arrived at our class.

“Kyu, how’s Donghae? Is he alright?”Some of my friends asked him in worry.

“Of course he’s fine.” Kyuhyun gave them an assuring smile.

Am I really a ghost? Only Kyu can see me. Then, does that mean if I do this? Being the mischievous kid I am, I danced randomly around the full class and made funny faces in front of my classmates. Nobody will notice it. I gave myself a satisfied smile. Then I heard a loud and familiar laugh from the back of the class and everybody in the room stares at no other than Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun stopped laughing and he grinned sheepishly.

We were at the rooftop; I was accompanying Kyuhyun eating his lunch. Kyuhyun was whining about what happened earlier.

 “Hey! Don’t do that again! I’m the only one that can see you”

 “Sorry. How come you’re the only one that can see me?”

 “Obviously, it’s the power of love.” He gave me a charming smile and I just can’t help to blush and laugh.

“Kyu~ you love me right? I love you too” I said sweetly to him.

I love you Kyu. I really do. I want to be with you, forever. But …

I was alone back at the hospital; Kyu is still in school. Once again, I saw my lifeless pale body barely even breathing inside the ICU Room.  I really feel it. My body is getting much weaker than before. It’s not weird if I suddenly die. It’s getting weaker by every second. I can’t help to cry. Please!! Survive just a little longer. I want to be beside Kyu. I don’t want to die. But I know that’s not going to come true. At least I have to survive until my birthday. I want to keep my promise, a very important promise.

I went back to our school, and found Kyuhyun waiting in front of the School gate. As soon as he saw me he sighed in relief.

 “Where were you? I thought you went home first.” He said.

“Sorry” I looked down.

Then, we walked back home silently beside each other. These might be our last moments. I have to use the time I have for what I can do with Kyuhyun.

 “Kyu” I called him.

“Hmm?” He replied.

I can’t live with you again. Forgive me Kyu. How can I say it?

“Kyu, lets hold hands”I smiled.

“Of course” He smiled back.

All the way home we were holding hands. Right now, I’ can’t touch him. But I went home, trying hard to hold the hand I can’t touch. I pray that I can be with Kyu even just for a moment.

It was late at night, Kyuhyun is already sleeping. I sat beside him, watching his soft features sleep calmly. How can I leave him? My birthday is already so close.

“Kyu, I love you.” I whispered to his ear.

The next day, it’s just a day before my special day.  But, it was raining heavily. Kyuhyun and I stood in front of the glass window, looking at the falling raindrops outside.

“The rain is so heavy today. I hope tomorrow will be sunny. It’s your birthday” Kyu said while smiling at me.

Oh Kyu. If I die, what will happen to your sweet smile?

“Right, tomorrow. If I die, I wouldn’t be with you.” I looked down, imagining all the possibilities of me living till tomorrow.

Kyuhyun gave me a death glare. He clearly knows it but, it’s too hard for him to accept. It’s hard for me too Kyu.

“Don’t talk about death!” He said with an angry tone.

“Don’t be mad. I was just imagining about it.” I smiled weakly.

His face softens and he leaned closer and kissed me softly. Why? I can’t touch him but, I can feel the warmth of his soft lips. Soon, he parted the kiss.

“Don’t wonder things like that! We will always be together right?” He half-shouted at me and I couldn’t reply.

Yes that’s why I can feel him. I can remember him, his kisses, the warmth of his body, his smile, everything. He soon pulled me to another innocent kiss. I’m sorry. I want to answer yes. But I just can’t say anything. Even we’ll be far apart, I will never forget your kiss and warmth.

We’re walking together in the streets of Seoul. It was a sunny day and it's my birthday. I made it this far, I’m glad I did. Kyuhyun was smiling widely to me as we walked side by side.

“Wow! You’re cool Hae! It didn’t rain”

“Yup”, I laughed.

“Hey, that guy’s talking alone.” I heard whispers from people walking in the streets.

Right, Kyu’s the only that can see me. I gave him an apologetic look and frowned. People must think he’s crazy when he’s talking to me which others see as him talking alone.

“Sorry Kyu”

 “Stupid. You don’t need to say sorry. Even nobody sees you; we’re still on a date.” He smiled softly.

“Yes!” I grinned.

All day we walked around and play games at the arcade. We got in the photo booth too but, I didn’t show there. Ghosts can’t be seen with camera? We arrived at a park with a pretty fountain. Both of us were tired, especially Kyuhyun since I was floating around and he was walking.

“I’m going to buy some drink. You wait here okay?” Kyuhyun ran to the drink stall.

My body feels light and wind was blowing through me. I closed my eyes. This might be my last day here. All of the sudden, I felt Kyuhyun hugging me from behind.

“Don’t disappear like that Hae!” He tried to hug me tightly but, his arms went through my body.

“Huh? What? What’s wrong” I asked in confusion.

“Sorry, nothing is wrong.”He said but he seems unsure.

“You think I’m going to disappear?”,

“No”

 “Really?? Well great, I’m not going to disappear.”

I smiled at him brightly as we continued our date while walking around the park. I want to be near Kyuhyun for a bit more. I felt my body getting weaker every second. Please, hold on for a little bit longer.

“Kyu, I want to go somewhere.”, I said to him.

We were back in a place of our memories, our class 3 years ago when we were in Junior High. Class 7-C. Also, the same class where he confessed to me. I got excited as soon we stepped in the class.

“Omo!! It’ our class when junior high! I miss it so bad.” I float around cheerfully,

“If somebody finds out we’re toast!” Kyuhyun pouted.

“It’s okay. You’re the only one that’s going to be scolded.” I .

Then I float to my old desk and patted it, “It’s my desk. I missed you little desk”

“Here’s mine.” He sat on a desk casually not far from mine.

“It makes me remember the past. Until now, I still remember clearly. You confessed to me after school on my birthday. We were both shaking because we were tensed, right? Kyu, I’m really happy that you have loved me all this time.”

We both know where I am going to lead. I’m not going to stay here any longer. Kyuhyun’s face turned both worried and furious. Kyu, you have to accept the truth.

 “Why are you saying that?! Stop it!” He walked to my direction and stopped by the ringing sound of his ceelphone.

“Kyu, your cell phone is ringing.” I sighed and gave him another weak smile.

“It’s not important!”He shouted.

“Kyu, don’t be like that. Pick it up.”I paused for a while.

 “It’s the call that tells that I’m already dead.” I continued heavily.

“What? Hae-”

 “We promised to celebrate birthday together. I’m very grateful I can keep that promise.”

 “Wh-What are you saying?! Don’t joke around! What do you mean dead? I’m not going to forgive you if you just disappear like that!”  He was shouting at me and tears were slightly falling from his eyes.

“I-“ Seeing Kyuhyun like this, I couldn’t finish my sentence.

“You-you talk about death when we were always together.” Teardrops were falling heavily from his eyes.

I took a deep breath and smiled at him, “Every year we promise to celebrate birthday together... It made me as happy as ever. So, this year will you promise me one thing? I’m happy to be your boyfriend. That’s why you need to make someone else happy. And you must be happier than anybody.”

“Hae! What are you saying?” His eyes filled with tears, worries, and sadness, this is too hard for him to accept.

I tried to wipe his teardrops, even when I can’t and I once again said, “Kyu, if you are not happy I can’t die in peace.”

“Hae!!” Kyuhyun shouted desperately.

My body started to feel light and I know it’s the time. I kissed him softly and said, “Kyu, please remember me on my birthday. Even just a little bit.”

My body was lifting up. By that time, I felt lighter than a feather. All I could do is smile warmly at him. He was begging me to not leave; tears were falling from his eyes.

“Goodbye Kyuhyun. We’ll meet again when you’re already an old man”, I smiled at him and with that my soul was taken by the wind and I could slightly hear Kyuhyun shouting my name.

Years and years later, a middle aged man was rushing home after his busy day at the office. The man arrived home as usual, but today he brought something with him. As soon as he stepped in the door, a little boy was standing in front of him with sleepy eyes.

“Kyu~” the little boy yawned.

 “I told you to call me appa.” Kyuhyun ruffled the boy’s hair.

“Why are you buying flower and cake?” the little boy tilted his head.

“Today’s the birthday of someone special. Someone very special” Kyuhyun answered and smiled softly.

Now and forever, that is the happy birthday promise we happily said in our last day together.