Mark

Mark

 

 

The crisp autumn air was too soothing. Jewel was reading her book under a big tree—thickbranches crawls in the air, almost bald as it is the season of fall. Leaves gently falling around her. Although the comfort of the atmosphere’s strong, she couldn’t help but to feel unease. She picked up a dead leaf of color of bright orange and brown at the same time, making it as a mark of the page where she last stopped. Jewel raised her head, turning it to her left and right. It’s been months—three months that she felt like someone’s watching her. She likes to be alone with her book all the time but ever since a new boy lived around their neighborhood…for almost three months, the weird feeling of discomfort never left her.

 

“Maybe I’m hallucinating again.” She softly hissed to herself.

 

She was about to return to where she left the story but the noise of leaves crunching under someone’s heavy footsteps caught her attention. She looked up and to her surprise, her eyes widened as wide as they can be. Speaking of the devil, the new boy she was thinking before appeared—walking towards her with the look of…timid. She wasn’t so sure if he’s reluctant with every movement he takes but it looks like he is. Jewel, following the reflex her body indicates, stood up right away and was about to walk away. Not until his deep voice spoke up.

 

“W-wait.” He said.

 

With a hint of hesitance, she looked over her shoulder to see him reaching out his hand. When her eyes traveled to it, he immediately pulled away. His body stiffened. Was he nervous?

 

“Yes?” Jewel asked, turning her body to face him properly.

 

She hugged her book near her chest, waiting for the boy she thought. He was actually a tall man, just about her age. She heard him cleared his throat before opening his mouth.

 

“You don’t have to leave.” Those were the longest words he uttered to her for the first time.

 

It wasn’t her first time to encounter him actually. Last month she bumped into him but he said nothing. He just bowed for apology and immediately left, like he was trying to avoid her. She can’t understand why he seems to be so innocent which on the contrary, with one look his tall figure can be harmful enough for a stranger himself. But no. The look on his eyes was so calm that the feeling of uneasiness wrapped her vanished away—so calming. Jewel didn’t reply instead, waited for him to say something more.

 

“I-I was just going to return this.”

 

He fished something from his pocket and reached it out to her. It was her lost bookmark that she usually used. She gazed on it before taking it from him. Slowly, her fingers brushedagainst his and the warmth he made her feel was enough for a cold autumn breeze. She looked up, to meet his gentle eyes staring at her lovingly. She felt her face heat up. She hasn’t really paid attention to what he looks like. Surprisingly, he's more handsome than what she has expected.

 

“Thank you.” She smiled at him, and he returned it too.

 

“How did you know I’m here?” She added, confused at the same time.

 

It was a secret place of her. That tree underneath them, it’s a distance away from her neighborhood and no one’s even around their since its pathway leads to the forest. It’s an isolated place but beautiful…not like the usual creepy and lonely one. It’s full of life. The look on Chanyeol’s face changed and he was sweating without knowing. He gulped, looking away not wanting to meet her gaze. He gathered all his courage before answering her question.

 

“I apologize for my doings.” He said, facing down to his side.

 

“What do you mean?” She was puzzled.

 

“I—I was watching you the whole time.”

 

The whole time? How long that ‘whole time’ he meant? Is that the reason why I feel being watched? Jewel couldn’t stop herself from thinking of the possible things. She was trying to find his eyes and eventually, with hesitance he slowly turned his head to look at her with pleading eyes saying that he was sorry. It worked actually. She found it really cute for a tall man like him, to act like a kid himself.

 

She wanted to ask why…but feeling pity on him, knowing that he had enough for telling her the truth even though he embarrass himself. She smiled at him trying to assure him that it’s alright.

 

“Oh. So it was just you all the time.”

 

He sheepishly nodded his head, about to leave but Jewel bluntly stopped him. He turned; surprised look was plastered on his face.

 

“I’m Jewel.” She said, reaching out her hand to be shaken.

 

He gazed at her hand for a moment and that made her feel embarrassed. Of course she didn’t expect him to shake it but she wants to be friends with him. Right when she was about to retreat her hand back, he wrapped his big hand on hers making her startled. He has this manly hand—big enough to warm her cold hand.

 

“Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol.” His deep voice complements his name so well the way he uttered it.

 

She couldn’t hide her smile anymore and so does he. There was a moment of silence but Chanyeol broke the ice. He let go of her hand then rubbed his nape awkwardly.

 

“Uhm…I guess I have to leave now.”

 

“Oh…sure. Thank you—again for returning this.” Jewel said, lifting up her favorite bookmark.

 

“Anytime. I’ll see you around?” Chanyeol waved and she waved back.

 

Jewel smiled, watching Chanyeol’s figure slowly disappear from her sight. Before he could totally depart, Chanyeol looked over his shoulder, eyes sparkling with innocent love he has for the maiden...none other than Jewel.

 

The name that shines brighter than anything in this world, he thought.

 

He smiled, eager to see her again. And the moment he’ll meet her again, he promised himself to make her fall in love with him. Purely…as pure as his love for her. For the last time, their gazes met and anyone who could witness the look they share—it is for sure the innocent love that left a mark in each other’s heart. Jewel never believed in what they so called ‘love at first sight’ and still, never will. She’s in love for the first mark he left in her heart which is his affectionate eyes that says more than the words he speaks. No words are needed. Both, just want to see each other again…before fall eventually bring to an end.

 

Jewel smiled, turning her attention to the bookmark he returned. She smiled, sat back to where she was sitting at before. She pulled a ballpen from the back of her jeans, pulling the cover of it. She replaced the dead leaf she made her bookmark before with the one Chanyeol returned. She started to write something on the leaf with a small smile crawling to the corner of her lips.

 

He isn’t bad after all than what I have imagined him to be. In fact, he left a good mark inside my throbbing heart.