I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath

Roar

"Hey you ! Where the hell are you!! What time is it?!?" yelled Kris from the second floor. He was wearing a wifebeater and boxers early that morning, looking haggard in his dyed-blonde hair. Angry and having finished a can of beer, he was calling on his girlfriend Hyoyeon who was fast asleep in her room.Of course, Hyoyeon did not hear this as she was asleep, fast asleep. 

"WAKE UP! WAKE UP, YOU LAZY !!!" he shoued louder. The sound finally penetrated through the door and rang in Hyoyeon's ears. This kind of yelling could only mean that Kris was angry and it signaled Hyoyeon to wake up. Frightened, she bolted out of her bed and dashed out of the room, wearing an oversized shirt and shorts. Looking down from the staircase, she could see her boyfriend pissed off and staring intently at her.

'What? Are you just going to look at me from up there?! Huh? Or should I drag your lazy down and make you work?!" Kris was obviously under the influence of alcohol, which made him quite prone to violent behavior. Hyoyeon had witnessed this in the past whenever she tried to disobey Kris' orders.

Kris was her boyfriend of 6 months. They had met at a party hosted by their common friend Tiffany. Tiffany was Kris' college classmate while Hyoyeon was a family friend.She introduced the two and the minute they saw each other, sparks flew, for Hyoyeon at least. Kris was a bad boy, the stereotypical bad boy. He enjoyed attention from women, pretended that he liked them then breaking their hearts afterwards by showing off another girl. Hyoyeon was a shy, quiet young lady who had never been in any form of relationship, let alone garnered any attention from the opposite . Hyoyeon secretly fancied bad boys. Kris, a bad boy, could sniff this out and figured that it would be wise to hit it off with her. He could use her to his advantage. Kris knew that Hyoyeon, a girl with low-self worth, would do anything that he wanted her to do just to keep him by her side so he thought of hooking up with her to use her for his own personal gain.

6 months later, here they were...

"Kris, I'm really sorry. I was very tired and I overslept-"

"Oh so that's how it's gonna be huh?" Kris walked up the first few steps of the staircase. Fearful, Hyoyeon began to climb backwards, grasping the railings. Hyoyeon nearly tripped when she reached the top part. "You're just gonna sleep your lazy all day instead of helping me get ready for my night out tonight. You're a really sweet girl, you know that?!" The tone of Kris' voice was just really, really scary.

"Kris, please. I don't want any arguments. Not now. I'm sorry, okay. I was just tired. I will work right now. I promise, I will." Hyoyeon tried to get up but fear was taking over her and it prevented her from moving and further.

"No, you're sitting down there. That's it. I'm coming up there." Kris marched quickly up the stairs. Fearful, Hyoyeon imediately got up and ran for the bedroom but Kris was fast enough to catch up with her. He pounded on her back, making her fall on the floor. He beat her repeatedly, punching and hitting her back, her stomach, and slapping her face as well as pulling her hair. Hyoyeon clawed and wiggled her way through but her efforts weren't enough. Kris was just too strong and too angry.

"KRIS, PLEASE! STOP! I'M SORRY! I WAS WRONG! I'M A LAZY ! I'M A LAZY !!!!" Hyoyeon defamed herself and lowered her pride even though she was in the right. That's how much she loved Kris. When Kris saw that she was starting to redden in the cheek area and small bruises were starting to appear, he pulled her up by the arm and pinned her on the wall.

"If you ever, EVER, give me excuses like that again, hear me out, I will throw you down the stairs and beat you senseless til your dead!" Kris threatened. Hyoyeon was crying and somewhat starting to bleed from the forehead. However, emotion overcame logic and physiological suffering as she still nodded in affirmation, as though she was willing to abide by Kris' new policy.

"Yes. Yes, baby I will."

"Don't you baby me, you er!" he slapped her across the face. Kris slammed her to the wall before releasing her shoulders. The pain was unbearable but Hyoyeon shouldered it. She went down the stairs, trailing Kris and quietly observing her surroundings. She saw that the house was in disarray, a sign that Kris had a pretty drunken night last night by himself and had fallen asleep on the sofa. Kris led Hyoyeon to the kitchen and pushed her to the counter top.

"Ouch!" Hyoyeon whimpered. Kris ignored her sounds of pain and forced her to do labor.

"Make some food, prepare some drinks, clean the place up. I got friends coming over." Kris said. He sat on the sofa and pulled out a cigarette and began to smoke inside. This disturbed Hyoyeon very much, but after the near death beating she received in his hands earlier, she chose to just let him smoke while she cooked and clean.

Kris sometimes treated Hyoyeon like a girlfriend, showing her love and affection. Such activity was only being done whenever they were in public, to feed his ego and to  make himself look like a good boyfriend. But at home, Hyoyeon was practically his slave. He had her do chores, obey his orders, and was very strict around her. She wasn't allowed to talk to other men neither was she allowed to hang out with her friends except on Saturdays. Kris on the other hand, had a lot of freedom. Hyoyeon never constrained him. She allowed his friends to come over and mess the house up, hang out and get drunk. On most occassions, Kris would bring other women to their home and have with them on the sofa, right in front of Hyoyeon. But Hyoyeon believed she could change her man. She believed in the good in him. 

She believed that Kris would someday grow out of this and love her.

Reality check: Not in a million years.