Temporary Goodbye

A Man's Point of View

"Appa!" a little girl's voice woke me up

I moaned, "Inhyu . . . give appa five more . . . " I trialed off

"Appa!" a little boy started jumping on the bed, shaking me to wake up

I groaned, "Okay . . . "I answered weakly adn sleepily sat up. I rested my back against the head board of the bed as my little angels came closer to me, reasting themselves on either side of my body.

"Appa?" Daehwa called

"Hmm?" I looked at him

"Are we going to visit omma today?" Inhyu asked

I swallowed the pain in my throat, "Ne. Now go, take a shower and dress up, okay?" I smiled at them

"Ne appa!" they ran off to their room

I was left sitting there with the memory of my wife dying. It's been four years since she died and up until now, I was still building myself again. I was torn between being miserable for myself and being happy for the sake of my children.

Seven years ago, I fell in love with my student. I feel in love the moment I saw her sitting in front of my class. She had the most beautiful smile anyone can see. Too bad the moment I walked in, I saw her with a young man. It was weird how she made me want to know more about her the moment I walked in and I saw her smile. It was different. She was different and I just don't know. And when she asked me about the whole do-I-have-a-girlfriend thing, it made me think that she actually liked me. I was assuming, of course, which was wrong.

That afternoon, after the last class ended, the faculty members and the principal had an emergency meeting on the very first day of class. We had an agreement to make a Japan tour our way of teaching the students the Japan culture and history.

 

A few days after, it was time for our flight and I was more than excited to see each and everyone, especially Min Ri. I see the students come in one by one, in groups and there, I see a couple walk in the doors of the airport. Min Ri and Minho. I’ve heard a couple of gossips about them. I didn't want to believe that they've been a couple for a very long time. I didn't want to believe that they love each other so much that after college they'd get married. I didn't want to believe any of those stories because if I did, how could I even compete with that?

 

As we waited at the airport, all I could keep doing was glance at her and her boyfriend. They were inseparable to my eyes and that thought downs me to hell. I know it was wrong for me to feel this way towards a student, but I myself, didn't know why I did.

 

"Kyuhyun-ah!" Donghae slapped my back

 

I winced, "What?"

 

He flashes me a smirk, "Looking at that student again" he shook his head in disappointment, "Kyuhyun, you know you can't have her" he warned

 

I raised a brow, "What the hell are you talking about?"

 

He let out a sarcastic laugh, "What, you think I can't see you stare at her. You've been doing that since you saw her come in the airport"

 

I rolled my eyes and didn't respond. Donghae hyung thinks he knows so much. I turn my attention back to Min Ri but as I did she was gone. I looked around, thinking where Minho led her.

 

"Kyuhyun" Leeteuk hyung called

 

I turned and saw they were all standing up, ready to line up and board the plane. I took my things and stood up as well. We all lined up and as we did, I hear the girls behind me talk

 

"OMG" a student, who I assume is a girl, spoke, "he is so adorable"

 

"Stop!" the other girl warned in a very low volume, "He's engaged" she reminded

 

At that point, I thought I was the one they were staring at and talking about but when I turned and I saw that they were pointing at the couple who can't keep their hands off of each other, that's when my blood started to boil. I ran my fingers through my hair and my nose flared up with anger.

 

Soon, we were all in the plane, and it was bad enough that Minho and I were on the same plane, he was a person apart from me. We were in the same row in the plane and good thing Ryeowook hyung was there in between us.

 

After what felt like forever, we were finally at the hotel. Again, Minho and Min Ri can't keep their hands off of each other and it bothered me. I kept on clenching my teeth and fists just to calm myself down.

 

When Leeteuk hyung announced the room and section division, I knew right then and there were I was assigned. Section four because that's where Min Ri is. I knew Donghae hyung did everything he could to have Leeteuk hyung assigned me there.  As much as I would like to think that I'm lucky that Donghae hyung was helping me, I was in danger in what he did. I knew I had to resist getting to close to her. There were only two things I feared when I saw how the room arrangements on the chart. One, Min Ri's room was next to mine. Which means only a wall separates us. And two, Minho's room was across Min Ri's. Which means I can stride across the hallway and kick his just for putting his arm around Min Ri's shoulder.

 

It was something I've never even felt before. I've never been so protective of someone I just met. It was a big thing for me to care about a girl like her. It scared me. I didn't know myself too well and how much I could do if she ever got hurt.   

 

"Appa!" little voices called and pulled me away from my thoughts of seven years ago

 

I blinked thrice, "Yes, kids?" I looked at them and they were already dressed up with their bags on their backs

 

"Appa, are we going or not?" Inhyu asked me

 

I smiled weakly at them, "Ne. Give me twenty minutes" I spoke and stood up

 

"Appa!! Move faster!" they both groaned

 

I laughed, "Ne!"

 

I walked in the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked older than I really am. I miss Min Ri. Her smile, touch, kiss, everything . . . I miss her. It was a known fact even for my friends and family. It took me months before I got out of the bed and faced the world. Everything around me was moving in a fast pace but to me, everything was slow and worthless when she left.

 

I take off my clothes and walk in the shower I used to share with my wife. I turn on the shower and take a few minutes to abuse the running water and I cry. I remembered the day I actually had the courage to tell her how much I loved her. I gave her a dream catcher. A dream catcher that she thought was given by her boyfriend. When I saw her knock on Minho's door and asked if it was from him, I felt a little down. I know I shouldn't have because technically she didn't know who it came from, still it hurt me.

 

I decided to let her know who really gave her the dream catcher . . .                                                                   

 

  I kissed her. I kissed her. I loved it.

 

That day on the rooftop in Japan was one of the most memorable days of my life. It was the first time I confessed to someone and it felt good. I knew she had a boyfriend, but I knew better. I knew that I could make her feel more loved than Minho can. I knew that I loved her more than anyone.

 

The kiss was wrong and I knew that but somehow, I know it was right. We were right. We were meant to happen. She wasn't meant for Minho. She was meant for me and only me. No one else but me.

 

When she walked away from me after she talked to her boyfriend, it broke my heart. I knew that she liked me but then, she had a boyfriend whom she loved as well. I was standing there, on the rooftop of the hotel in Japan and I watch her as she walked away from me.

 

The next morning, Siwon hyung came up to me, "Kyuhyun!"

 

"What?" I asked

 

"Min Ri' s sick" Siwon says

 

What!? Min Ri's sick?!, "She's not coming to class, I suppose" I say

 

He nods, "Come on, we're going to be late" he says

 

I never thought I would even say this and they know me too well when it comes to history, "Hyung, I think I'm sick" I fake coughed

 

He raises a brow, "You're not coming?" he asked

 

I nodded, "I'll see you later"

 

I paced in my room, checking my watch every minute and keeping myself together. I waited until every student has left the hotel until I knocked on her door. Yes. She was shocked to see me. I walked in her room and seeing her in her sleep wear made me feel hot. I felt the need to restrain myself from taking her clothes off. She might think I'm just this ert who's going to take advantage of her. I didn't want her to think that way. I respect her. I love her.

 

When we settled in the room, I fed her and with every glance or should I say, stare I gave her, it made me fall in love with her more. See what I mean? She hasn't even done anything and yet, she made me fall in love with her. It's crazy yet amazing.

 

"Appa!!!" the kids knocked on the bathroom door

 

I quickly opened my eyes, "Y-yeah! I'm done! I'm done!" I answered and quickly got out of the shower and dried myself putting on my clothes as fast as I could. I wore my black v-neck and a pair of  "-tight jeans" as Min Ri would call them and I wore a pair of Converse and got out. I see My kids playing with gaming consoles. One thing about my kids, they take their gaming addiction from me.

 

"You guys ready?" I asked, closing the bathroom door behind me

 

They looked up and me and then and each other, "Oh! About time, appa!" they said in unison

 

I dried my hair my towel and they got off the bed and they walked towards me, "Appa, can you be slower? I bet omma's waiting for us" Inhyu spoke. Another thing about my kids, they're smart like their mother. They speak like they're not even four years old.

 

"Let's go, Inhyu" Daehwa pulled his sister out of the room 

I rolled my eyes at them and I took my keys and phone from the bedside table and went down stairs. The kids and I rode the car and we drove off to see their mom. As I was driving, I saw a couple walking with their fingers entwined and they shared and ice cream. It made me think of me and Min Ri. How we never got to share and ice cream, a bowl of ramen or how we never got to celebrate a year of our marriage. There were so many things I've longed to share with her. Especially my life. 

I remember the torment she made me go through when she just left me for Washington. She left me because of Hee Young and I cursed the day the showed up at my grandmother's birthday party. Hee Young introduced herself as my 'ex'. I knew it made Min Ri feel uncomfortable. Ever since they saw each other, Hee Young didn't stop making Min Ri feel that she doesn't deserve me, which was a wrong notion. Min Ri deserves me in every way. When she left for Washington, I felt like dying. I felt like quitting my job and buying a ticket for a flight bound for Washington and go on chasing her. I felt like my world dissolved when she left. She dropped out of my class and so did Minho. I went through hell because of her. I didn't sleep, eat or anything. I was always giving the class a break just to make an excuse for me not to teach them the lesson. 

I was a complete wreck without her in my life . . . I was nothing without her in my life.

Then, one night, I planned to go out and be irresponsible for once. I was by the bar with a few of my friends when the door of the bar opened and it revealed the woman who left me. She wasn't alone . . . she was with her friends. I was watching her the whole time, until she went to the bathroom. I followed her and when she got out, she accidentally bumped on me. She didn't even bother to look up and just apologized. I spoke and in an instant, she knew who it was. When she looked up, she looked shocked. I pulled her to beck of the bar and slammed her against the wall. I kissed her like a maniac. I didn't care if I bruised her lips. I didn't care if I was called selfish for what I did.  I didn't care about anything. What mattered to me was that she was home again. She was with me. With me.   

"Appa!" Inhyu called from the back of the car 

"Ne?" 

"Are our other appas coming to see omma today?" Daehwa asked

I smiled, "Ne"

Daehwa inched behind my seat, "Appa, when is omma coming home?" he asked

My heart panged, "Daehwa . . . omma likes it there. We can always visit her whenever you want"

Inhyun butted in, "When is she going to cook for us? I've never even played my toys with her"

I knew how Inhyu felt. Growing up with no real parents. It was a huge pain to live with. I knew how Inhyu and Daehwa saw the world without their mother. Because I grew up like them. 

When Min Ri asked about my biological mother, I have to admit, I felt like I really didn't even want her to know about my past. I felt ashamed. She has a real family, while I have a family that was out of social work. I felt ashamed that I didn't have a real family like hers. But she never, not once, made me feel like I didn't have a real one. She always made me feel like the family I have was more than enough to make me happy. Then, I finally had the courage to tell her how my mother died. But then, the questions didn't stop with my mother, there was another one. About my father. 

There, I really couldn't answer her. I was more than humiliated. My father left me and my mother with cash beside us. That was it. He never even bothered to come to see me after the fire. He didn't bother to go and look for me! At that time, I just wanted to keep things simple. I just wanted to live my life without the father I never really had.

But Min Ri . . . she never stopped asking me. She never stopped making things right for me and my father. She never stopped caring for me. And what did I do? I pushed her away. I pushed away the love and the care and the concern she gave. And because of me she got into an accident.

I was the reason why she almost died. I was the main reason why she almost didn't live her dream. I was the reason why I almost the only person that made sense in my life. And when she woke up not knowing me, it was like I was the one who got his by a car.

When she forgot about me . . . my life had ended. I have to say, again, it was my fault why she did. The look in her eyes saying "I don't know who you are" . . . it stabbed me in the heart. But I had to make a way to make her fall in love with me again. I did what I could even to the corniest pick-up lines. I made her breakfast, climbed through her window every night and we would make out. I did everything. 

"Appa!" Inhyu called me, pulling me from my thoughts again 

"Hmm?" I stopped at a stop light 

"What did you feel when you found out that we were coming?" she asked 

I smiled, "I was the happiest man on earth, honey" 

"Jinjja, appa?" Daehwa's eye grew wide

I chuckled, "Ne. Your omma and I were so excited even her friends were so excited to see you two" I spoke

"Even Leeteuk appa? And Donghae appa? and Eunhyuk appa?" Inhyu asked

"Even Yesung appa, Henry appa, Hangeng appa, Sungmin appa, Ryeowook appa, Heechul appa, Siwon appa, Zhoumi appa, Kibum appa, Kangin appa?" Daehwa added

I started driving again as the lights turned green, "Ne. All of us"

"Then why isn't omma coming home?" Inhyu asked

"Inhyu, omma has another house to take care of. If she doesn't live there, who will take care of that house? She has to stay there to keep the house clean" I lied

It was true that I was happy when the day came that Min Ri was about to give birth. I quickly rushed to the hospital and saw that she was being brought to the labor room. I ran towards her and held her cold cold hand. I was scared yet excited to see her. She was about to bring my two kids into this world and it was all happening so fast.  She was screaming, sweating, cold, and crying all at the same time and I wanted to help her but I just didn't know what to do. Then, she started pushing and pushing and she was screaming and I was crying but she held my hand tighter. Then a cry came and it was Daehwa. He was amazing to look at. He was placed in Min Ri's chest and she looked at him the it was her first time to see a child. 

Then, she flet pain again. It was Inhyu's turn. She pushed and pushed and pushed and screamed and cried and held onto my hand tighter than before. I was pained when I saw her suffering. I was scared for her. But then, there was another cry. Inhyu came and she was placed on her chest and again she looked at Inhyu. She was perfect. 

Everything was fine for a moment until we heard the heart monitor come to an alarming beep. The nurses rushed towards her and checked her heart rate. Until the doctor informed me that her heart rate was slowing down. I looked down at her and she was slowly closing her eyes. I was frozen and I didn't even know what to do. I was scared that she would leave me. I wasn't ready to lose her.

"Kyu . . . " that was her last word before the closed her eyes and never woke up

I was looking down at her. I was just staring at her lifeless body, "You're unfair" I said, "You left us, Min Ri! Why the hell would you do that?! Don't you love me? Daehwa and Inhyu?!" I screamed at her but I was too stupid to think that she would even answer me.

"Appa! Look!" Daehwa and Inhyu pointed. I see my brothers stadning by Min Ri's grave stone. I see Minho, Taemin, Jonghyun, Key, Onew, Min Hee, Kim and Min Ra, Katherine and Eric too. We parked the car and I took the kids out from the back seat. They ran towards their samchons and imos and kissed their cheeks.

I smiled weakly at them and walked closer to Min Ri's gravestone, "I love you so much, babe" I said to myself, "I miss you everyday. The kids miss you. The hyung miss you. My and your parents miss you. Your friends miss you. We miss you, babe. Come home?" I offered but there was no response. The only response I got was loud blow of the wind and few leaves passing by.

"Leeteuk appa?" Inhyu and Daehwa called

"Ne?" hyung answered

"Does omma love us?" they asked

"Of course she does!" Heechul hyung spoke, "If she didn't you wouldn't be here" he pointed out

"Jinjja?" they look shocked

"Your omma loves you so much, okay? Don't feel otherwise. She was willing to give up everything for you twins" Hangeng hyung spoke 

And the twins looked at each other, "Ohhhh" they said 

As I look at our family now, it was evident that there was still pain. It was evident that not everyone was healed. But there's got to be a first step right? Like Min Hee and Donghae, they've been married for a year now. Henry and Kim and engaged. Ryeowook hyung and Min Ra are dating. Minho's got an American beauty. Taemin's dating. And so is Onew, Key and Jonghyun. I bet when Min Ri sees us, she'd be really happy.

"Life goes on . . . It was a basic fact. No matter what, life goes on and never ever give up on something or someone you love . . ." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is it guys . . . the last one for Min Ri and Kyuhyun's story. Thank KYU so so so much for all the love that you've given this story and again, I love you guys so so so much! You guys are the very reason why I wanted to finish this story! :)

XOXO