Holding Back

Holding Back

Everyone waits for the announcement for Song of the Year anxiously, but you feel anxious for another reason. You see him just a few feet away from you and you inwardly panic as he starts to make his way over to you. Still panicking, you quickly bail and go over to Minho.

You stare at her and Minho, eyes burning. The two are none the wiser as they look intently into each other’s eyes, whispering about things only they are meant to know (just like how you did once upon a time). Suddenly, her hand goes up to pat his face and you feel something inside of you snap. Before you can even register your actions, you find yourself in front of the two, with them looking at you with their icy and burning stares.

You turn your icy glare to Minho as he practically abandons your conversation, watching you and Jonghyun. He asks how you've been and you answer him timidly. You can see how hard he's trying as he struggles to come up with other topics to talk about and you find it endearing. As time passes by, you are surprised at how easy it is to talk to him, despite everything. The giddy feeling spreads as you continue to talk and in that moment, it's like nothing ever changed. But the announcer's voice snaps you out of it and you remember that everything has changed, and you quickly go back to Seohyun. You cannot go through all of that again. You will not go through all of that again.

You stare after her even as she retreats. It's for the best, you decide as you avert your attention elsewhere so as to avoid suspicion. But you just can't fight the attraction that gravitates between you two (you hope that she can feel it, too) and your eyes find her once again. Shyly, she takes a few glances at you and your heart skips a beat every single time.

EXO won.

You feel a little disheartened, but you've won so many awards already, so who are you to complain? Besides, they truly deserved it. You look around and congratulate everyone for doing a good job as they start their encore, but your eyes land on him and a myriad of emotions flush through. There he is, dancing like the dork that he's always been and although you've gotten over it a long time ago (liar) you can't help but laugh at how ridiculous he looks. You panic a bit as it draws his attention, but luckily Tiffany comes and swoops you away, urging you to dance with her.

It was so good to hear her laugh again. Hearing it just makes you realize how much you missed it, and you crave to hear her laughter once again. You fight the urge to walk over to her because she looks so much happier with her friends. it up, you put on a smile and dance to EXO's song, secretly hoping she'll look over to see you dancing and laugh again.

You smile despite your shyness, and even dance along with the rest. You feel at ease, and your heart feels light. You lose yourself for a moment and forget everything, just letting loose. As you dance, you somehow end up in front of him.

You stare at her, shocked. Was she really in front of you? Willingly? On her own accord? She tilts her head towards you and you stop dancing.

Play it cool...play it cool.

You brush off her gaze and pretend to fix your hair, inwardly sighing in relief when she turns to look elsewhere, but you secretly long for her to look your way again.

The encore stage comes to a close and everyone walks off. You feel your heart hammering in your chest as the two of you walk next to each other and you start giggling as he starts dancing again, doing some ridiculous head banging. Your hand immediately goes to his arm, trying to stop him from further self-embarrassment. You both freeze as you register your actions.

You are faintly aware of your surroundings, the only things you can focus on being the insane beating of your heart and her burning touch on your arm.

You look into each other's eyes, emotions swelling inside of you.

As you run off, you curse yourself for being a coward.

As she runs off, you curse yourself for being a coward.

But deep inside, you both know that things just can't go back to the way they used to be.

And your heart breaks again.