Wasn't Supposed to Know

Wasn't Supposed to Know

"Hello?" she answered, absently swirling around her glass of water. Who was calling so late at night?

"Hey...can you come pick me up?"

Immediately she was on her feet. "Woohyun, are you drunk?" Before he could answer, she was already grabbing her keys and heading out the door. "Where are you? I'm coming right now."

Woohyun chuckled lightly and seemed to be putting down something glassy. "I...I'm at that bar. You know, the one on the corner of 5th and Capital."

She knew exactly which bar he was talking about. It was the one where they would go to together to talk about life and drink away all their problems. She wondered what he was doing there.

Jumping in the car, she drove down the road and went through all the reasons why he would be drunk so late at night. She knew there was something wrong, and even though she tried to convince herself otherwise, there was some nagging part of her that didn't believe it.

Being his girlfriend wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. After finally getting him to notice her, after all these years, she thought it would be fine - that they'd end up as the happy couple. But constantly she was worried about him. He would disappear some nights and have depressed phases every now and then, but she had brushed them off to delude herself into thinking things were fine between them. Maybe her nightmare was coming true.

Pulling into a parking space, she walked into the bar and found Woohyun sitting at a table by himself, obvious traces of tears lining his face. clenched as she put one foot in front of the other. Softly, she called out to him.

Woohyun's eyes turned up at the sound of his name. He smiled. "Sorry to make you come all the way out here," he slurred, taking another sip of the vodka that sat in front of him. "I just didn't think I'd make it home properly."

She nodded understandingly and helped him stand up. Slowly, guiding him to the car, she buckled him in and began to drive home. "Why were you at the bar?" she asked. Part of her was afraid of the answer she'd get.

He didn't answer; instead he stared absently out the window.

"Woohyun?"

A deafening silence filled the car. Her knuckled were white as she grabbed the steering wheel in pure anxiousness and fear. At last, Woohyun spoke. "I'm still in love her."

Her breath caught. The way he spoke - something told her that he wasn't missing his mother. Swallowing, she gathered up the courage to ask the question that came to mind. "Who...are you still in love with?"

"...Yoon Ji."

His ex-girlfriend.

The rest of the car ride was silent. She didn't know what to say. In his drunken stupor, he said something she wasn't supposed to hear.

It wasn't until they reached their apartment did she start crying. She stayed silent and kept the lights out to keep him from noticing. "Woohyun," she whispered, her voice breaking. "I love you. I love you. Isn't that enough? Can't you just fall for me?" Turning her head to look at him, she saw that he was already asleep.

She sat him on the couch and took her place beside him, covering to try and stop the sounds. Her chest ached and her will was crushed and every ounce of faith she had was crushed. Why had he asked her out? For how long did he have these feelings? What was the purpose in keeping her around?

She didn't know what was worse - the fact that he was still in love with ex, or the fact that she never had him in the first place.