Chapter Four: Beep Beep

Just Like This

A low whistle escaped Taeyeon's lips as they traveled deeper and deeper into the city. Tiffany must be immensely loaded if she lives here... Taeyeon herself had only been to this part of Seoul maybe once or twice, and her inner small-town girl never ceased to emerge each time. Right there, smack in the center of one of Seoul's most affluent districts, was Tiffany's apartment. 

She would have continued to silently marvel at the bustling city teeming with vitality, but she noticed something a little more worthy of her attention appearing in the corner of her sight. 

"Why are you smiling?" Taeyeon questioned in a measured voice, eyes not daring to leave the road. I might accidentally veer off the road if I catch that smile. Concentrate, Taengoo. She was the first to break the silence, inadvertently easing the stiff and awkward air between the two of them. Soon, her humble coupe neared the front of luxury apartment complex.

"I don't know," Tiffany paused, as if she was debating on finishing her sentence. At the same time, Taeyeon was about to park in front of the building. "This feels like the part in movies where the girl's date walks her up and gives her a goodnight ki-" Taeyeon snorted, exiting the car in the amount of time that it took Tiffany to blink, leaving her inside. She didn't even let Tiffany finish her sentence. Sheesh, rude much? 

Now slightly disgruntled, Tiffany reached to open the door herself. Only instead, the door opened for her and a slick Taeyeon emerged. Ugh, why is it so hard to stay annoyed at this woman?

"Interesting. Except, this is totally not that. Not even a little bit." Taeyeon held her hand out to help Tiffany out of the car, then promptly shut the door. This time, Tiffany had to keep herself from smiling. Ironically, most of her previous dates didn't bother with gestures like these, yet Taeyeon did. Taeyeon barely liked her... and Tiffany barely knew Taeyeon. Yet another surprise, huh, Taeyeon? 

"Yeah, but opening the door for me and helping me out of it says otherwise. You're so chivalrous, Taeyeon," Tiffany retorted, but in reality, she was kind of enjoying every moment of whatever was happening.  

"Well, sue me for being decorous, then," Taeyeon quipped with a hint of sarcasm, walking alongside Tiffany at a comfortable distance all the way to the glass door entrance. Tiffany sneaked a peek at Taeyeon. She still looked guarded, collected. 

"You don't really have to walk me up, you know," Tiffany said, although she had no intention of actually stopping Taeyeon. 

"After today's incident? Yeah, right. Like I'm gonna let that happen." Tiffany surreptitiously blushed. What is up with her? Taeyeon's personality swings were giving her the warmest whiplash. Was that even possible? It was now. 

Before long, they reached the correct apartment suite. Neither of the two could bring themselves to move, so they lingered awkwardly in front of Tiffany's door. 

"Thank you again, Taeyeon. I appreciate it." Tiffany finally said. She gazed at Taeyeon earnestly, an honest smile playing on her lips. 

God, I'm gonna get a heart attack if she keeps smiling at me like that. 

"No problem," After a while, Taeyeon finally softened her demeanor and lowered her guard, just a little. She flashed a lopsided grin, which then exposed her little chin dimple. "But next time another guy tries anything funny, just promise me to kick him where it hurts and run like hell?"

Not that I mind coming to your rescue.

Jeez, Taeyeon, you're so cheesy! This is why you're single! Taeyeon fought the urge to cringe at her own thoughts. 

"You got it, boss," Tiffany laughed. In that moment, Taeyeon decided that Tiffany's laugh was now on her list of favorite things ever. 

Without saying a word, Taeyeon smoothly conveyed her goodbye with a single hand gesture, stuffing her hands in her pockets and making her way to the nearby elevator while Tiffany watched her walk away. She couldn't let Taeyeon leave without asking one more question, a question she had mulled over in her head several times. 

"Taeyeon, wait!" Tiffany called out, causing Taeyeon to stop in her tracks and turn around. What is it, now?

"What, did you forget your passcode?" Tiffany ignored the remark, as Taeyeon walked back to Tiffany's door. 

"I need you to answer something for me," Tiffany said, biting her lip in thought. 

Damn, is she seriously not letting her little photoshoot question go? I thought the answer'd be obvious by now. Should I just settle it?

"Fine. If you really must know, I do think you're attractive. Goodbye," Taeyeon said in a casual tone, about to turn around again. Except something felt weird, very weird. Tiffany's eyes widened slightly, as if she was pleasantly taken aback. What the... Oh, that question! Then, her eyes shined mischievously. Thanks for the information, Taeyeon~ 

Taeyeon tensed. Wait! Oh, ! It's not the same question from the photoshoot, is it... 

"Actually, that wasn't my question..." Tiffany was beaming cheekily at this point, watching Taeyeon's face gradually turning into a beet. She facepalmed in humiliation. As a matter of fact, Taeyeon wanted to hide inside a cardboard cube of embarrassment where Tiffany wouldn't be able to see her. Needless to say, Tiffany was enjoying every second, a smug smile was plastered on her face. 

Dammit, Taeyeon! You're an idiot, you know that? Play it cool, play it cool!

She cleared . Several times. "O-okay, then what's your question?" Taeyeon tried with all her might to sound as composed and undaunted as humanly possible, but what was supposed to be a lion's growl came out as a puppy's whimper.

She scratched the back of her neck, avoiding Tiffany's gaze. She didn't need to look, Tiffany was probably making the eyes at her. If I run now, I will reach my car in about one minute and thirty seconds and then I will change my name and move to Busan and no one will ever know. Ugh, Taeyeon, you're so stupid!

"I was going to ask..." Tiffany paused, checking to see Taeyeon's state. "What do you think of me? I mean, well, besides attractive," Tiffany laughed coyly. Tiffany had been a model for some time now, so compliments of that ilk usually didn't catch her off guard. This time was... different. 

 She shifted her weight, before precariously taking a step towards Taeyeon. To her surprise, she didn't back away like the first time they met. Instead, she finally met her gaze. Taeyeon still looked highly embarrassed, but at least she hasn't left yet. So cute. Too cute, Kim Taeyeon. 

. . . 

Taeyeon sighed. "I've been thinking about that, actually." 

"And?" 

"I know there's something, oddly enough..." Taeyeon was slowly regaining her composure, but she couldn't help but wonder why her stomach always felt like it was constantly doing backflips whenever this Tiffany was involved. "I'm still trying to figure out if they're good or bad feelings. Might be too soon to tell, Tiffany Hwang," Tiffany stopped, as if a lightbulb was imminently going to appear above her head. Her lack of response made Taeyeon anxious. Oh, crap was that too much?

Then, out of nowhere, she took out her phone and started typing. 

Really? She's texting?! Right now?

The next happening was the farthest from anything Taeyeon was ever expecting. Her phone beeped, right after Tiffany had put her own phone away. Wait. No freaking way. No, she couldn't have...

"Go on, read it." Tiffany smiled knowingly. Taeyeon arched an eyebrow skeptically before unlocking her own phone to read the text. 

-  let me know when u figure it out ;* -T  - 

How. The. Hell. 

"Wait, how on earth did you get my number, T-Tiffany Hwang!?" Taeyeon sharply inquired, eyeing Tiffany for an explanation. 

"First of all, I didn't ask for it, nor am I a stalker. Jessica gave it to me at the beginning of our little meeting. Said it was for 'professional purposes', you know, since I'm a part time model and you're sort of a photographer," Tiffany giggled, highly amused at the now-flustered Taeyeon. "Besides, now you have mine, too," Tiffany winked, before entering her keycode and opening her door. 

"Goodnight, Kim Taeyeon," Tiffany greeted, closing her door on the frozen, shellshocked Taeyeon. Ohmygod, I can't believe I just did that.  

As soon as the door closed, Taeyeon ruffled her long brown locks with exasperation. What the hell just happened right now?!

"WHY? DAMN IT, JUNG SOOYEON," Taeyeon exclaimed raucously whilst stomping a foot, having not one care about disturbing Tiffany's fellow rich neighbors. 

Tiffany heard Taeyeon's outburst from inside her room and laughed. 

Thank you, Jessie. 

~~~~~~~~~

Two Days Later

"You're telling me you both have each other's numbers and you haven't texted her since? Are you serious right now, Taeyeon?" Yuri shut her textbook, shifting her incredulous gaze to a very focused Taeyeon. Or at least trying to focus. 

Taeyeon had been so caught up in other things lately that the test she was dreading the whole week suddenly flew over her head, in addition to her recent lack of sleep. Now, she was stuck cramming important material into her memory at the library with Yuri and Sunny. Again.  

"No, I'm telling you Jessica Jung gave my number to her without telling me, what am I supposed to text her?" Taeyeon shut her textbook just as loudly, this time earning a stern glare from the librarian. Taeyeon merely ignored it. 

"I don't know, anything! Are you against open opportunities or what?" Yuri whispered sharply. Her little friend's idleness was driving her insane, to say the least. Meanwhile, Sunny was either asleep or silently judging the both of her friends. It was hard to tell with her head resting on the table, obscuring her face. 

"What opportunities? I don't plan on contacting her unless it's for professional reasons, Kwon Yuri," Taeyeon sighed, opening her textbook once again. For reasons unknown, the words felt strange off the tip of her tongue. She inwardly shrugged, re-reading the same chapter for the umpteenth time. Out of nowhere, Sunny sat up and rolled her eyes. 

"Is that what you kids are calling it these days? It's a little late for that, don't you think?" Sunny yawned. "Here, give me the phone. Let me see what she said," Sunny reached a hand out and Taeyeon handed it to her, completely unwittingly. She didn't even bother to look at Sunny, or Yuri. Score. 

Taeyeon had no idea how much time had passed since she had passed Sunny her phone, but her intense cram session was halted by the sound of clicking, much like the sound of her own phone typing something... She immediately looked up, suspicious. As soon as she did, Sunny locked the phone and slid it across the table, getting ready to bolt for the door with Yuri. 

"Lee Soonkyu, Kwon Yuri... What did you do..." Taeyeon deadpanned, closing her book once more. Sunny only winked and clicked her tongue, while Yuri was equal parts afraid and triumphant. Taeyeon was seriously contemplating chasing both Sunny and Yuri out of the library, but she wanted to avoid causing a scene. She was already on the librarian's last nerve. , , . 

Taeyeon threw both of her friends a look as sharp as daggers before reading the text, the one that didn't come from her. It better not be to Tiffany Hwang, if better not be to Tiffany Hwang, please don't let it be to Tiffany Hwang. 

-  are u down for lunch with me? i'm dying in the library, help >< -Tae - 

Taeyeon's eyes could have popped out of her skull. 

"Are you people insane? Are we children!?" Taeyeon sharply whispered through gritted teeth. "I'm an adult! If I wanted to ask her out, I would have done so accordingly!" This time her voice was a little louder than she'd intended, but her countenance remained composed, as usual. 

"Okay, we're sorry... Maybe it was a bit immature on our part-"

"Just a bit!?" 

"But you have to stop denying yourself and start going after what you want, Taeyeon-ah. Consider it... a push in the right direction?" Yuri suggested, scratching the back of her neck. She had the tendency to do that in pressing situations. 

"And don't pretend you're not happy. Besides, you've been here for like five hours, time for a change in scenery," Sunny added. "It's just a casual lunch! It's not like a romantic dinner, chill out, Taengoo." 

Taeyeon sighed, rubbing her temples. It wasn't like she could just immediately text Tiffany back saying "oops sorry, never mind!". That would be extremely rude. And, well, she was hungry. Lunch with a plus one, the plus one being Tiffany Hwang, can't hurt. 

Beep Beep. 

"Woah, she's fast!" Yuri pointed at the device with the biggest grin in human history plastered on her face. Taeyeon froze, again. 

"Read it, babo!" Sunny unlocked the phone and held the cellphone directly in front of Taeyeon's face. 

-  sure, but haven't we seen each other enough this week, Tae? haha :)  - 

Another beep. 

-  when and where should i pick u up? ^^  -

"Assa! That's how it's done, Taengoo!~" Sunny shook the blushing Taeyeon elatedly. Meanwhile, Yuri stood up and performed a triumphant, albeit completely silly, happy dance on Taeyeon's behalf. 

"Ms. Kwon, please leave the library!" The old librarian reprimanded, cutting Yuri's little performance short. Yuri sighed, shouldering her bag. 

"You're most welcome, Taeyeon-ah! Say you love us," Yuri pointed at Taeyeon coolly, before exiting. Sunny rolled her eyes in jest. 

"Never!" Taeyeon laughed. At the same time, Sunny was shuffling her papers and collecting them. 

"I guess this is my cue to take my leave! You better not leave her hanging," Sunny smiled, putting the phone in Taeyeon's hands before taking Taeyeon's face and planting a loud kiss on Taeyeon's head for good luck. Taeyeon pushed her away goofily, feigning disgust and sticking her tongue out. 

Once she was alone with her own thoughts and silence, she read the text over and over until it was ingrained in her memory. 

Taeyeon began typing. 


A/N: Hello! I missed you guys! :) Sorry for the slight delay and the short-ish update, my internet's been all wonky lately, but the chapter's here finally!

So, what'd you all think? Embarrassed taeyeon makes for a very cute Taeyeon lol, she should also keep better guard of her phone huh? haha but no seriously, i really need wingwomen like SunYul and jessica in my life sighhhh LOL and! lunch dates are cute i like lunch dates mwahaha :)  

Anyways, I honestly can't thank you guys enough for the love. Seriously. I was casually scrolling on tumblr when I saw people recommending this to their friends. I'm seriously puzzled by the flood of subscribers and comments and friends and wow you're all lovely, thank you so much ^^ I will try to update ASAP :)

P.S. As usual, here is my weekly favorite gif haha