Fireworks

Fireworks

The freezing cold bit at my cheeks as I lifted my chin to look up at the night sky, the stars staring brightly back down at me; twinkling as if beckoning me to tell them a wish to grant. I breathed in deeply, my nose burning with the chill of the Seoul air, before closing my eyes. My mind only calling one wish forward. Before I could bid such a request something small barreled into my side, the suddenness making me stumble over the gravel aligning the Han River, my arms shooting out of my pockets to steady myself.

“Sorry!” a young boy looked back to me with an unconcerned look as he pulled a younger girl by the hand; both children holding sparklers in their hands.

I smiled as I watched them go; the sparklers had always made me smile. They were my favorite part of New Years….his were the fireworks.

My heart sank at yet another reminder that for the first time in three years, I would be alone for New Years.

I remember our first new years; he’d bought me a sparkler and held me close to him as I lit it and swirled it around in front of us. His arm tight around my waist as we laughed at the random shapes I made in the air.

“pretty” he’d whisper before laying a gentle kiss on my cheek.

Our second new years  was even better as the random shapes turned into hearts…his name…my name.

Both times the sparkler would extinguish just in time for the countdown where we turned to face each other, smiling sweetly in anticipation. Our lips forming the words, but the sound muffled by the overbearing voices around us. Lips brushing sweetly against each other as the fireworks erupted around us.

“I love these fireworks” he’d murmured the first time, inclining his head sideways towards the burst of color in the night sky.

“These fireworks wouldn’t be the same without you” he’d stated the second time, staring deep into my eyes.

My heart saddened at the memory of what had been. Blinking back the slow burn starting in my eyes, I forgot the past few weeks, and focused on the days before that night…the night that led me to where I was today. Alone.

It had started with a simple request for more time; it had ended with me walking away from him.

We’d been selfish. We hadn’t been understanding. We were frustrated, and took it out on each other.

Inclining my head, I spotted an extinguished sparkler.

They started setting up the fireworks at 11:30; No one paid attention until 11:58; I saw him at 11:59.

My breath caught as the voices of people counting down the last minute muffled and their faces blurred. He stood in the middle of the crowd, facing the fireworks that would be set off in just a few more seconds. He stepped back suddenly, turning sharply and disappearing between the people.

I found my steps following him, my gaze centered on his blue beanie as it bobbed through the people. I couldn’t lose him…not again.

“10”

I stumbled over someone’s foot, shouting a quick apology over my shoulder as I tried not to lose him.

“9”

I dodged a hand waving a sparkler around in the air

“8”

I gasped at the elder man who stepped directly in front of my path, nearly running into him before quickly side-stepping him.

“7”

I stopped running, looking around in a hurry for any sign of him.

“6”

Panic started in my chest.

“5”

I lost him; my tears stung as I turned around, gasping at the tall frame in front of me.

“4”

“It’s not the same without you” he whispered

“3”

“Taekwoon” I whimpered

“2”

I reached up, using his shoulders as leverage, his hands immediately falling over my waist as he leaned down, our lips crushing together, desperately, for the first time in weeks.

“1”

Fireworks.

“Happy New Year!”

-

A/N:

Happy New Year!

Feel free to friend request, Upvote, or comment!

Hope you enjoyed!!

-Kyute19