Prologue: The Incident

Destined With You

It's been a while since she told me. When she told me that she was tired of life. That she was tired of her family and people at school. I couldn't say a word. Why? Cause I knew she had it way worse then I did. All I had was insults on my photographs and that was it. She was hurt by what they tell her every day. Shoving her around when I'm not around. I love her so much but as an inexperienced person, I don't know what to say to her. As I slipped into my high school uniform, I took my camera and put it around my neck. I swung my backpack over my shoulder and walked out the door. As I stopped by her house, her mom kindly told me she left earlier than I did. I was shocked. I ran to school, seeing her sitting on the roof as usual. I ran into the school and climbed up stairs to get to the roof. "Sunhye," I called out. She sat there with her beautiful brown hair tucked behind her ears.

She stood up and smiled, "Yoojung-ah."

I run to hug her, "Pabo, don't leave without me." Ever since she fessed up about how she feels, I've been feeling so cautious that she'll do something reckless. We hold hands as I lead her downstairs. "Hey, Yoojung!" Everybody greeted as we walked down. I smiled and greeted them back. As we put our bags away in our locker, we run to class and take a seat. As we talked about the most random things, I watched the door open as two guys walk in. I locked my eyes on them. I've never seen them, but then again, the only person I was always with was Sunhye. "Earth to Yoojung," Sunhye said, waving her arms around.

"Oh sorry, it's just," I say, "have you ever seen those guys in our class?" I point at the two.

She turns around and grins, "Oh them, they're my brother's friends."

I nod, "So those are the guys." 

She frowns and asks, "They've been here for a while, you didn't know that did you?" I sighed and gave a nervous smile. I shake my head no. I never really pay attention to people in our class since they don't even like talking to me due to the fact I hang around Sunhye. It's actually their loss. I ran my fingers through my hair, it was frustrating enough that I'm being so paranoid.

Sunhye looked at me and gave me a smile, "Yoojung, I hope you know I cherish you to eternity. I hope everybody cherishes you as much as I do."

I laugh, "Sunhye, I love you. You've been there since that day I was the broken person I am today. You and your family has been a big help to me." We both look at each other and smile. It wasnt every day I'd hear a thank you from her.

As the teacher walks in, we quickly face forward and pay attention.

{ - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - }

After class ends, Sunhye leaves me to go to the bathroom. I quietly wait in the cafeteria, eating alone. It really felt funny since Sunhye has been acting so normal after her confession. Nobody acts normal, usual it gets awkward, but Sunhye is acting as if it never happened. I sighed and hugged my knees as I eat my sandwich. "Maybe she's okay," I whisper to myself. I hear footsteps approach me from behind. "Yoojung-ah!" A student calls out. I look back at the student.

"What?" I groan.

"Sunhye," he pants, "she's on the roof."

I panic and run to the roof. I knew there was something wrong. I barge the roof door open and there she is, walking towards the edge. I stopped and felt my eyes get wet. I didn't want it to happen again. This bad luck. The fact I keep losing more people. "Sunhye!" I yell, with tears in my eyes. Sunhye turns around. Her face as pale as a white crayon. I walk towards her but then I stop as soon as I see her bloody arm. It was as if she cut so many lines deeply into her skin. I watched as a smiliar scenario pops into my mind. I wince. I keep walking as I hear a loud cry from her. "Don't come any closer!" she cries. She's stepping closer towards the ledge.

"Sunhye, don't do this, please," I sob, "there's more to life than this!" I hear footsteps behind me. I turn around seeing the two guys. I look back at her with frightened eyes.

"Yoojung, please don't look at me that way," she yells. Her eyes are filled with fear. She carefully climbs the ledge. I shake my head and stutter, "I-I wont! So p-please.. get down!" My heart pounds louder and louder. I don't want to lose somebody again. It was bad enough I lost her. I lost my mom two years ago. "Sunhye, I don't want to lose you, too. Without you, I won't have anybody else!" I yell, as tears fall down my face. The two boys run to my side and scream, "We all just need to calm down." 

{ - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - }

Everything seemed to go in slow motion. I felt my heart go back to a reassuring place. Right then and there. Thats when I saw my best friend commit suicide. Sunhye had a beautiful smile that curved perfectly the way it should have. I watched the words, "Saranghaeyo, Yoojung." Even though the tears keep rolling, I smile. I grab the two guys' hands and walk down the stairs with them. "I can't believe.." one says.

"I can," I say, sighing.

"What!? What do you know!?" they yelled.

"I know everything. Every little bit, down to what food she ate last night," I said, motionless.

"Tell us!" they said, shaking my arm as we walked down the stairs to go back to class. I shake my head, "I think it's confidential right now." They gave me piercing glares. I smiled at them with puffy eyes. "Nobody would understand it," I whispered. I ran down the stairs and they chased after me. 

The moment we walked in, the class was silent. The teacher was staring at Sunhye's seat. "Yoojung, where's Sunhye?" the teacher asked.

I frowned and said, "She.. She jumped off the roof." I was surprised nobody knew this but us right now. Everybody's face went from color to pure white. I could see the guilt in their faces. I sat in Sunhye's spot, running my fingers around the desk. "Sungsaengnim, I miss her so much," I whispered, being motionless. That was all it took for the whole class to break. They were all screaming their apologies. The two guys and I just sat there, staring at the desk I sat in. The one my best friend sat in. The two guys walked over to me and tried to smile, "Well, hey, the name's.. M-Myungsoo. Please call me L if you like," the one with the cold look said.

I smiled a sorrowful smile, "The name is Yoojung." 

The other one had their eyes locked on Sunhye's desk and held out a hand, "Sungyeol. The guy who kept Sunhye running whenever you were busy." My face went ice cold. I was always busy. She was always smiling and saying it was fine. Why didn't she just tell me it wasn't!? My heart was pumping faster and faster each second. I was so mad. Mad at her that I was even mad at myself for putting the blame on her. I hugged myself, we were only freshmans. L sat next to me and patted my back, "I hope you know you're not alone." I watched his lips turn into a heart warming smile. Sungyeol held my hand, "Yeah. A friend of Sunhye, is a friend of ours." 

That's when I realized what the saying meant by;

"When one leaves, another arrives."

{ - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - }

A/N: I hope you liked the first chapter. Please expect more? Haha <3